A look behind the celebration curtain 

Post#41 » by Dynamix » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Re: GAME #36: PHX (19-17) @ LAC (22-13) MON 1/8—7:30 PM 

Post#42 » by Clemenza » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:56 pm

Everybody played good. Zu is slowly creeping into the upper echelon of centers with Harden's help. Catch n Shoot PG is a force. Mann didn't hesitate to shoot last night. Russ and Coffey looked good. Eyebrows were raised when Bones didn't get in with the 3rd string. On the other side of the ball, the Suns have no bench, no fire, and no chemistry whatsoever. We've been there, but I'm glad we're not them.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#43 » by jengmann3 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:53 pm

Really nice bounce back win. Good vibes. KD was really good. Everyone talks about KD and LeBron. KD and Kawhi have had some great battles. Always interesting to see them matchup. PGs shooting has been really good lately.

I'm still a bit greedy and want another defensive piece. But team is geling. Still got a really tough month coming up. Onto the Raptors who have played well since their trade.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#44 » by Vae Victus » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:19 pm

Clemenza wrote:Everybody played good. Zu is slowly creeping into the upper echelon of centers with Harden's help. Catch n Shoot PG is a force. Mann didn't hesitate to shoot last night. Russ and Coffey looked good. Eyebrows were raised when Bones didn't get in with the 3rd string. On the other side of the ball, the Suns have no bench, no fire, and no chemistry whatsoever. We've been there, but I'm glad we're not them.

If the team is comfortable with rolling with Theis as primary backup C, i think the team needs to explore what a package of PJ, Tucker, Bones, etc can fetch back. PJ is likely too much negative value, but expiring Plumlee and prospect Bones might be able to get back something decent.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,361

Post#45 » by Scoundreldays » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:30 pm

I wouldnt want to trade Plumblee what if one of Theis or Zu gets hurt?
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,292

Post#46 » by playaloc916 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:30 am

Great bounce back win. I think this is where the chemistry is really showing. Last season I could easily see the team hanging their heads and losing this one.

Regarding the big man rotation, I would not move Plumlee unless the team fleeces another team and gets a huge upgrade at the 4. Plumlee's size makes him an ideal backup to Zu, while Theis I think can manage to play both positions because he's pretty mobile. Tucker on the other hand, doesnt have much use on this team. Brown's development should easily be prioritized over Tucker getting any minutes.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#47 » by clipperlover » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:39 am

We don't need to be moving anyone other than PJ. Plumlee is the next big man up. I still think PJ to Houston for Landale makes the most sense for both teams. Unless PJ just wants to hang around and ride the wave. We can put him in to get under Draymond's in a future match-up.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#48 » by Vae Victus » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:43 am

Honestly PJ is just straight useless now and worse than negative value due to having a 2nd player option year.

No one is gonna trade for him except as a salary dump of a worse or malcontent player. Next year as an expiring, more options open up in trade.

The team can definitely stand pat and see how things develop. Essentially the team can suffer an extended injury to any one starter and not miss a beat, except Mann, due to PF being so thin. With luck Kobe Brown can develop into a solid backup 4, otherwise we'll be seeing Coffey there. Doesnt seem like Theis will get any backup PF mins and Plumlee is great big man insurance.

Mid season should definitely look to load manage more and try not to play the stars on too many back 2 backs. Kawhi does wear down, so he needs his days off. At least the team is deep enough now to really handle those load managed games unlike before. Also just the sheer impact of having such an elite PG pairing in Harden/Westy has made the offense so much more fluid.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,095

Post#49 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:51 pm

Just sucks the team got rid of MMSr and then got another MMSr in return.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#50 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:49 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Just sucks the team got rid of MMSr and then got another MMSr in return.

i mean the new one doesn't play and take time over the infinitely better options available lol, so i'd say we're doing ok

in regards to the overall topic of tucker, i don't have too, too much of an issue with tucker being part of the trade. morey was gonna curse us with whatever he could given he was essentially forced to trade harden after pressure by the 76ers FO and NBA. we held strong, kept mann, unfortunately lost batum/covington who would have been much better than tucker, but hey, tucker doesn't play, we got to develop a legit rookie who can and will help us as needed, and in the end we turned to a reliable reserve in coffey who is giving us pretty solid minutes. so i'm pretty pleased with how things have turned out.

re: plumlee - i absolutely do NOT think we should trade him, barring some sweetheart deal where we catch a buncha assets for near nothings (like portland giving us powell/covington not too long ago). but part of that issue is that we just don't have enough assets to throw into a package that makes sense for an incoming tertiary star, a la siakam or jerami grant (both of which make 37m and 27.5m respectively, making things a lot more difficult in exchanging salaries). and he also is just a 5m expiring contract so i mean, who does that even help out there?

at the same time, the cost of giving up plumlee is pretty high, if something were to happen to theis or zu. i mean that'd be a freaking disaster on both losing zu and then not having plumlee ready to go. so while i'm all for roster improvement in regards to guys who aren't necessarily contributing anything, and while he's one of our few remaining assets that make a bit of sense to move, it's just not worth it.

so as far as the entire discussion on moving him or others to get better, i don't really see just what we can do and i think we're better off seeing how the team continues to grow together. i'd also add that there'll likely be buyouts as well as teams getting antsy by the deadline (as always) and that could give us some more options if we stand pat. i mean, phoenix looks like a god damn disaster right now so who's to say they don't blow it up and some bits and bobs become available? charlotte seems like a perennial candidate to trade with for this team, so maybe pj washington is a guy for us? so yeah i'm happy to stand pat and see what comes.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,839

Post#51 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:26 pm

I think Plum will naturally get some more minutes as the season goes on, I don't think Ty was going to just throw him back in there just as we've established a groove. Plum is bigger than Theis and I think both can play, plus that's what backups do- back up the other players LOL.

There's not too much opportunity cost to keeping Tucker, unless there's someone out there who actually wants him. Otherwise he becomes a salary piece starting in the offseason, it seems a given he will opt in given the amount. Bones is our best trade asset (not counting our core rotation guys), but I think is insurance if RWB were to move on next season. The most important thing is to keep our big 3, its understandable if RWB opts out but finds a better salary situation elsewhere in the offseason.

By landing Theis, having Amir bounce back, and Norm finally really finding his role here (another big benefit from landing Harden), I think the urgency for another somewhat significant move is much less now. Maybe there will still be a good trade situation out there so who knows, or another buyout pickup (let's make the most of it since soon we won't be able to.)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers