ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi signs 3y/$152.4M contract extension, fully guaranteed, no player option

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Re: Kawhi signs 3y/$152.4M contract extension, fully guaranteed, no player option 

Post#21 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:01 pm

esqtvd wrote:PLAY ME OR TRADE ME

Ballmer can think about trading the younger talent now that the future is taking shape.

Read on Twitter

At each level Jordan has been able to learn, adapt, and grow. Of course we all know G-League is nothing compared the NBA, but his steady progression in the G-League at least means there's a shot.

In an ideal world, Bones, Jordan, and Kobe could all become solid and cheap contributors for us next year. We gotta find value at the edges if we're gonna do this thing going forward.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Re: Kawhi signs 3y/$152.4M contract extension, fully guaranteed, no player option 

Post#22 » by Ballings7 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:08 pm

Great to have him back. Best overall player in the league when healthy as far as I'm concerned.

Intrigued by Jordan Miller, hope he gets some run soon like Kobe Brown.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#23 » by clipperlover » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:12 pm

Sounds like a greats deal:
2024-2025 - $52M ($4M over his option that he had)
2025-2026 - $50M
2026-2027 - $50M

So, we aren't increasing his salary. Since he has set himself up as the team's best player, everyone else falls below that line. If they want more, then they leave. Good luck finding more elsewhere.

If the chips are all pushed in for this year and results in a title, then season ticket sales go up. PG or Harden can leave if they want more money. Ballmer could save a ton in luxury tax penalty next year and go strong the last 2 years of Kawhi's deal.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#24 » by clipperlover » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:26 pm

og15 wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
og15 wrote:
The question is also always what the alternative is, right?

I think the alternative to giving a 3 year extension today is not to give out an extension until end of the season.
I don't believe 6 weeks of good basketball erases 4 years of disappointing seasons and necessitate commitment of another 3 years.

Certainly, but waiting only has value if you're willing to actually not give him the contract. If the goal is to sign him in the end, what's the point of waiting?

If you wait and you're not willing to give him the contract, then it's essentially a commitment to the lottery (without owning many picks), because then PG and Harden aren't coming back without him, and sign and trades don't work so well in the current NBA, so you're not going to be able to get assets back.

So the decision to not re-sign him would only make sense if you traded him mid-season. If the Clippers were planning to keep Kawhi the rest of this season (obvious decision), then the only thing that makes sense is signing him.

In the end, the deal is done because KAWHI wanted it to be done. Kawhi held the chips. He could have waited and exercised his option next year and then dealt with a year of speculation about whether the Clips would move his expiring deal or not. Instead, he likely approached the Clips and wanted to get this done, so the focus could be just on basketball.

Kawhi will be turning 36 when that contract ends. I think he will be ending his career at that time. I don't see him sticking around longer than that.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#25 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:24 am

So he was eligible for a 4 yr/$223M at $55.75M per year. I wonder if the $52M/$50M/$50M they arrived at has to do with managing their cap situation in the offseason...
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,708

Post#26 » by KL2 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:45 am

Very happy with the news. I imagine my mom and dad smiling up there too.

madmaxmedia wrote:So he was eligible for a 4 yr/$223M at $55.75M per year. I wonder if the $52M/$50M/$50M they arrived at has to do with managing their cap situation in the offseason...

Sounds like it was done with intention for flexibility. No idea how that will work considering the 2nd apron. Way above my pay grade.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#27 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:57 am

KL2 wrote:Very happy with the news. I imagine my mom and dad smiling up there too.

Hope you're hanging in there okay.

Sounds like it was done with intention for flexibility. No idea how that will work considering the 2nd apron. Way above my pay grade.

Way above mine too. But looking at their contracts, next year should be mostly fine? It's the year after that looks much harder, with Zu, Mann, and Coffey finishing their contracts, and Bones entering RFA.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#28 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:04 am

The Ringer NBA guys said they're all going to get paid.

Ballmer paid like $300-400 million to Dolan for the Forum so what's a few more 9-figure deals to a guy worth what 11 or 12 figures?
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#29 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:33 am

wco81 wrote:The Ringer NBA guys said they're all going to get paid.

Ballmer paid like $300-400 million to Dolan for the Forum so what's a few more 9-figure deals to a guy worth what 11 or 12 figures?

The second apron was MADE TO BE BROKEN.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,230

Post#30 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:05 am

Ballmer can think about trading the younger talent now that the future is taking shape.

Read on Twitter

Trade Miller? These youngsters could be the fill in pieces on cheap contracts moving forward after re-signing Kawhi, PG, and possibly Harden
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#31 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:26 am

Clemenza wrote:

Read on Twitter

Trade Miller? These youngsters could be the fill in pieces on cheap contracts moving forward after re-signing Kawhi, PG, and possibly Harden

IMO Ballmer put any further moves regarding the young talent on hold pending how the KL-PG future panned out. If they were to opt out next summer, the Clippers are in a total rebuild with the 2 billion dollar Ballmerdome opening.

If there's a piece out there at the trade deadline--esp a PF--that can help win a title, I hardly think a #48 pick on a two-way contract is gonna stand in the way.

[Miller could have refused the two-way deal and become a FA. It's not as if the league is panting for him.]
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,230

Post#32 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:41 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

Read on Twitter

IMO Ballmer put any further moves regarding the young talent on hold pending how the KL-PG future panned out. If they were to opt out next summer, the Clippers are in a total rebuild with the 2 billion dollar Ballmerdome opening.

If there's a piece out there at the trade deadline--esp a PF--that can help win a title, I hardly think a #48 pick on a two-way contract is gonna stand in the way.

[Miller could have refused the two-way deal and become a FA. It's not as if the league is panting for him.]

That "messiah piece" especially a PF that can help us get a ring is more than not likely out there and is a pipe dream. Especially with us having no picks and making players like Mann untouchable. With Miller ballin' out a GM and coach would want to keep him for a year or two to see what becomes of him before ditching him. Its crazy how you bring up the G Leaguers when they have big games but then proceed to sh*t on them if another poster thinks they need to stick around for a while to see if they can turn into something.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#33 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:51 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Trade Miller? These youngsters could be the fill in pieces on cheap contracts moving forward after re-signing Kawhi, PG, and possibly Harden

That "messiah piece" especially a PF that can help us get a ring is more than not likely out there and is a pipe dream. Especially with us having no picks and making players like Mann untouchable. With Miller ballin' out a GM and coach would want to keep him for a year or two to see what becomes of him before ditching him. Its crazy how you bring up the G Leaguers when they have big games but then proceed to sh*t on them if another poster thinks they need to stick around for a while to see if they can turn into something.

Although I'm unimpressed, I'll post something from twitter about the G-Leaguers occasionally for people like you who get a thrill out of it when they have a big game. Thank me very much. :love:

As for finding a trade piece between now and the playoffs, although probably unlikely, I don't close the door on it, and neither will the FO. And they're certainly not going to let a guy on a two-way stand in the way.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#34 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:23 am

PG is a 30 million dollar player at best. his handling has fallen off a cliff. When he starts trying to dribble past a guy its almost always a turnover or a bad shot. Not a max player, and he is only getting worse. He might score a lot of points but not as good as Harden/Kawhi. If he wants more than 30million i let him walk and resign Harden. Give Russ 20 million. and then fill in our new pieces.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:20 am

wakelaunch1 wrote:PG is a 30 million dollar player at best. his handling has fallen off a cliff. When he starts trying to dribble past a guy its almost always a turnover or a bad shot. Not a max player, and he is only getting worse. He might score a lot of points but not as good as Harden/Kawhi. If he wants more than 30million i let him walk and resign Harden. Give Russ 20 million. and then fill in our new pieces.

29 pt
12-22 Fg
5-9 3-pt
7 reb
6 asst
2 stl
1 blk
0 TOs
plus+15 [team best]

OK MTV sock puppet :wink:
Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 861

Post#36 » by Jay555 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:36 am

PG 40-45 mil per annum

Harden 30-35 mil per annum
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#37 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:11 pm

I don’t think we need a messiah – we need one piece, but it needs to be the right piece. We need a Bobby Portis type player. First guy off the bench, slots in at either PF/C, can spread the floor. Has to have enough size to play with (most) Cs, and enough lateral quicks to stay with (most) PFs. For a couple of years, I’ve said the Clippers should make/have made a move on Trey Lyles, who fits that bill. He’s probably not a starter. He plays about 80 percent of his team’s games, so he’ll miss 15 games or so in most seasons. He doesn’t have any aspect of his game that stands out. But he’s a solid contributor, can do a little of everything, and has a range of skills that allows to him to stay in games when he has different purposes. With the Kings, he’s more defense oriented (and is often their only big that is). He helps them win. He makes $8 million a year. He’d be perfect. Is he better than Theis or Plum? He’d be a better fit for us, since he can play PF and hits threes at a decent clip. We need a guy like him.

esqtvd wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:PG is a 30 million dollar player at best. his handling has fallen off a cliff. When he starts trying to dribble past a guy its almost always a turnover or a bad shot. Not a max player, and he is only getting worse. He might score a lot of points but not as good as Harden/Kawhi. If he wants more than 30million i let him walk and resign Harden. Give Russ 20 million. and then fill in our new pieces.

29 pt
12-22 Fg
5-9 3-pt
7 reb
6 asst
2 stl
1 blk
0 TOs
plus+15 [team best]

Psst. Don't forget the D. 8-)
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,205

Post#38 » by og15 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:06 pm

You need to get updated on NBA contracts, that's really all there is to it. It's good you're not the one in charge of building this team.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#39 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:40 pm

og15 wrote:

You need to get updated on NBA contracts, that's really all there is to it. It's good you're not the one in charge of building this team.

You realize you cant give 50 million to more than 2 players in the next CBA right?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-cba-101-everything-to-know-about-new-agreement-from-salary-cap-to-free-agency-and-beyond/
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#40 » by esqtvd » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:09 am

TrueLAfan wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
29 pt
12-22 Fg
5-9 3-pt
7 reb
6 asst
2 stl
1 blk
0 TOs
plus+15 [team best]

Psst. Don't forget the D. 8-)

The D filters in through the +/-. Although scoring doesn't hurt either.

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers