ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi signs 3y/$152.4M contract extension, fully guaranteed, no player option

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Re: Kawhi signs 3y/$152.4M contract extension, fully guaranteed, no player option 

Post#61 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:06 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
clipperlover wrote:Nope. If these guys don't step up and help achieve a LONG and competitive playoff run, then they won't be getting extensions.

I'd like to believe that, but the history of the Clippers under Frank has been making shortsighted decisions from a position of desperation and pandering to so-called "stars." I see no reason to believe that has changed - otherwise we would have blown it up last summer and not traded for Harden.

What would that have looked like, trade KL or PG or both?

You'd have gotten some FRPs back, say 4 each but most of them would be very lottery-protected.

So Clippers tanking, unless they got some of the FRPs they've traded away back, would not get them high lottery picks necessarily.

OKC has a ton of FRPs but they're mostly going to be mid or late FRPs I believe. Maybe like KL, a mid FRP will turn into a potential top 5 or top 10 player.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,901

Re: Kawhi signs 3y/$152.4M contract extension, fully guaranteed, no player option 

Post#62 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:41 am

wco81 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
clipperlover wrote:Nope. If these guys don't step up and help achieve a LONG and competitive playoff run, then they won't be getting extensions.

I'd like to believe that, but the history of the Clippers under Frank has been making shortsighted decisions from a position of desperation and pandering to so-called "stars." I see no reason to believe that has changed - otherwise we would have blown it up last summer and not traded for Harden.

You'd have gotten some FRPs back, say 4 each but most of them would be very lottery-protected.

So Clippers tanking, unless they got some of the FRPs they've traded away back, would not get them high lottery picks necessarily.

OKC has a ton of FRPs but they're mostly going to be mid or late FRPs I believe. Maybe like KL, a mid FRP will turn into a potential top 5 or top 10 player.

Ballmer couldn't open the Ballmerdome with T-Mann, Zu, and the G-Leaguers, which was the worst-case scenario. And a REAL possibility. Kawhi was free to walk away. PG and Beard too, although that wouldn't break many hearts around here.

But I think the Beard trade got Kawhi to re-sign.

Kawhi is sewn up now, contractwise. I'm not sure anyone in the NBA wants Beard so I think he'll deal, just like Westbrook did. PG has options out there, I think. Philly could give him UFA Tobias Harris's money and get a much better return. PG is not terrible by any means, even at 80%. He is NOT hurting us out there. It's just disappointing he's not a true complement for Kawhi's lack of leadership.

Mismatched parts. Our leaders won't lead and our role players just aren't dynamic enough to step up in their place, on or off the floor.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#63 » by clipperlover » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:13 am

Scoundreldays wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Ballmer pretty much has to extend both PG and Harden, because of the opening of the Intuit Dome in October, right?

But a couple of months ago, the Clippers were cited as potential dark horse to win the WC and now, they see, to be hitting a nadir as the season winds down.

So their individual performances in the postseason as well as how well the team does should determine the size and shape of these extensions?

They’re both having as good a season statistically as other seasons in their careers. PG will turn 34 in early May and Harden will be 35 towards the end of August.

Regardless of how they perform in the playoffs, the team needs them for the regular season including the inaugural season at the new stadium.

So it’s hard to see a big discount for either of them. Clippers can’t replace their production, period.

Nope. If these guys don't step up and help achieve a LONG and competitive playoff run, then they won't be getting extensions. Unless they are going to take their chances by walking away completely, they will need the Clips to facilitate a sign and trade. There will be teams thinking they are "on the cusp" that could make reasonable offers.

I agree extending them if they choke in the playoffs would be a massive. It will only worsen as they age. Just admit the PG, SGA trade didn't go according to plan and move on.

I don't think a COVID impacted season right as the team was getting into its stretch run, Kawhi tearing an ACL in the middle of the 2021 playoffs, losing PG to a severely hyper extended knee on a common rebound or Kawhi tearing his meniscus in the 1st round of the 2023 playoffs was part of anyone's plan.

Kawhi doesn't go in the 2021 playoffs and we are sailing into the NBA Finals vs the Bucks. We were better than the Suns. Would we have won the title? Probably not. The Bucks and Giannis would have been a tough matchup.

We made the trade. It is what it is. I am sure there was a contingent of Boston fans that were whining back in 2007 when they traded away all of that young talent. The young talent they traded away ended up doing jack squat. We had Clippers fans back in the day that were on board with the Clippers not trading away our young guys for Paul Pierce. What happens if Shai tears his ACL in the playoffs and is never the same again?

Draft picks and young players are a crap shoot. Ballmer isn't into crap shoots. At the time of the trade, PG was #3 in the MVP voting and Kawhi was coming off of a Finals MVP. We had missed the playoffs in 2017-2018 and were trounced in the 1st round in 2018-2019. Ballmer wasn't sitting back waiting. He was willing to spend money to get the big fish and wasn't going to let some future draft picks stop him. I am sure he made more off of Kawhi and PG merchandise sales in the 1st year than the entire 2018-2019 team combined.

Is Frank a good GM? I don't think so. I think that is because he has an owner with a bottomless pocket. If Ballmer forced Frank to stick to a budget that kept the team under the luxury tax aprons, Frank would be forced to be a better talent evaluator. Ballmer is like all of the other billionaire owners that think they just need to spend their way to a title.

We had decades with a shrew businessman running the show staying below the salary cap to get paid by the big spenders teams. We had all kinds of young talent over those years. We didn't make the playoffs much and lost a lot of games. However, only Ballmer's 2021 playoff team ever went farther in the playoffs than the 2005-2006 or the 2011-2012 Clippers. Until Ballmer decides he wants to reign in the spending and no longer wants to pay the luxury tax bills, we can just stop worrying about draft picks.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#64 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:47 am

Ballings7 wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:A retirement contract. This tweet sums it up perfectly. He really don't care about building positive legacy in Clippers.

Read on Twitter

I think people continue to not understand Kawhi because of his personality individually; he's not a flashy or extroverted person, and never really will be. The guy is a winner whether people like the way he carries himself psychologically or not. He's not a common american athlete, and most people don't have the ability to identify with people they aren't used to or don't understand, and aren't like most athletes or people they've "seen" growing up and following a sport.

Too bad. Everyone is different.

This was cute when it was 2019. After 5 years of disappoinment you gotta move on(I soon expect this team to get eliminated in the 1st round against any of Pelicans-Nuggets-OKC-Wolves)
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#65 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:52 pm

esqtvd wrote:
wco81 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I'd like to believe that, but the history of the Clippers under Frank has been making shortsighted decisions from a position of desperation and pandering to so-called "stars." I see no reason to believe that has changed - otherwise we would have blown it up last summer and not traded for Harden.

Ballmer couldn't open the Ballmerdome with T-Mann, Zu, and the G-Leaguers, which was the worst-case scenario. And a REAL possibility. Kawhi was free to walk away. PG and Beard too, although that wouldn't break many hearts around here.

But I think the Beard trade got Kawhi to re-sign.

Kawhi is sewn up now, contractwise. I'm not sure anyone in the NBA wants Beard so I think he'll deal, just like Westbrook did. PG has options out there, I think. Philly could give him UFA Tobias Harris's money and get a much better return. PG is not terrible by any means, even at 80%. He is NOT hurting us out there. It's just disappointing he's not a true complement for Kawhi's lack of leadership.

Mismatched parts. Our leaders won't lead and our role players just aren't dynamic enough to step up in their place, on or off the floor.

It's crazy how sometimes PG will say exactly the right things, and then other times he will say exactly the wrong things. It's just interview quotes which who cares, but they can be telling of his mindset.
wco81
RealGM

Post#66 » by wco81 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:08 pm

PG definitely will have a market if the Clippers don't extend him.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275054/Sixers-Loom-As-Eager-To-Sign-Paul-George-If-He-Becomes-Free-Agent

Ironic, Sixers were all hot to acquire Tobias when he was on the Clippers, then traded Harden to the Clippers. So they will let Tobias walk and sign PG.

And now may be interested in signing PG if he hits the market. PG may want to play at home but if they don't get it done this season, maybe joining Embid might not be the worst choice.

Embid is just as injured as KL but he's a few years younger, though way more unproven in the playoffs than KL, obviously.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Post#67 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:38 pm

Ballings7 wrote:I think people continue to not understand Kawhi because of his personality individually; he's not a flashy or extroverted person, and never really will be. The guy is a winner whether people like the way he carries himself psychologically or not.

Correction: he was a winner. He hasn't won anything here. And the PG trade that he demanded will hurt the Clippers' chances to win for years to come.

His shtick only works when his teams actually win. When they're mediocre for years, it's a different story.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#68 » by clipperlover » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:56 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:I think people continue to not understand Kawhi because of his personality individually; he's not a flashy or extroverted person, and never really will be. The guy is a winner whether people like the way he carries himself psychologically or not.

Correction: he was a winner. He hasn't won anything here. And the PG trade that he demanded will hurt the Clippers' chances to win for years to come.

His shtick only works when his teams actually win. When they're mediocre for years, it's a different story.

You are soooooo right. Team should have never traded future "who knows what they will become" draft picks to acquire the reigning NBA Finals MVP and a player that was #3 in MVP voting in the season prior. Just like "We're going to be kicking ourselves for letting Luke get away".
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#69 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:47 pm

clipperlover wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

You are soooooo right. Team should have never traded future "who knows what they will become" draft picks to acquire the reigning NBA Finals MVP and a player that was #3 in MVP voting in the season prior. Just like "We're going to be kicking ourselves for letting Luke get away".

The book was already out on PG before we traded for him. Great regular season guy, headcase when it matters. And he's not even reliable in the regular season anymore.

I can't imagine still being this deep in denial over SGA. Comparing him to Luke is so absurd, it doesn't even merit a response. And by the way, we should still be kicking ourselves over the Luke trade. The only thing EJ did in his return to the Clippers was cost us Cam Whitmore. We got older and slower for no reason.

The PG trade is just going to keep looking worse every year.
wco81
RealGM

Post#70 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:21 pm

The SGA trade is all hindsight now.

Who was against it at the time? Show the receipts.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#71 » by clipperlover » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:48 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Correction: he was a winner. He hasn't won anything here. And the PG trade that he demanded will hurt the Clippers' chances to win for years to come.

The book was already out on PG before we traded for him. Great regular season guy, headcase when it matters. And he's not even reliable in the regular season anymore.

I can't imagine still being this deep in denial over SGA. Comparing him to Luke is so absurd, it doesn't even merit a response. And by the way, we should still be kicking ourselves over the Luke trade. The only thing EJ did in his return to the Clippers was cost us Cam Whitmore. We got older and slower for no reason.

I didn't mention SGA in that last pots. I mentioned the potential non-impactful draft picks. Did OKC get Jalen Williams from a pick we sent them? Yes. Was that draft position the direct result of Kawhi missing the entire prior season? Yes. Did they get Tre Mann with one of those picks? Yes. The same Tre Mann that was just dumped as trade fodder for Gordon Hayward's expiring deal. Dids they get a 2023 pick swap from us? Yes. They had a worse record, so no pick was conveyed.

So, who was OKC supposed to take back from us to trade Paul George? He was #3 in MVP voting. You can use revisionist history, but that doesn't change what the negotiations were at the time. While you were in the room what offers did you put on the table for Ballmer to discuss? What was your alternative if Kawhi decided to not sign with us and potentially join the Lakers instead? Where was that going to put the Clips future?

No one is kicking themselves over getting rid of Luke Kennard. Kennard was a cap drain and terrible defensively. Since you can predict that the Clippers absolutely would have drafted Cam Whitmore, I am sure you also must have predicted before that trade that Lou Dort would hyperextend PG's knee and knock him out for the rest of the season impacting the Clips chances to pass the Suns and the Nets in the standings.

You complain that Paul George hasn't won anything, but he led this team to the WCF. A WCF where we had a legitimate chance to take down the Suns (without Kawhi) until Zu was injured in Game 4. Last I checked, OKC hasn't won a playoff series since the trade. Could they win one this year, Yes. Could they get bounced early? Yes. The Mavs, Suns, Lakers or GSW could take them out. The Mavs would be their worst nightmare. I don't know anyone that would be looking forward to a playoff Luka in the 1st round.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,227

Post#72 » by Clemenza » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:41 am

clipperlover wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

I didn't mention SGA in that last pots. I mentioned the potential non-impactful draft picks. Did OKC get Jalen Williams from a pick we sent them? Yes. Was that draft position the direct result of Kawhi missing the entire prior season? Yes. Did they get Tre Mann with one of those picks? Yes. The same Tre Mann that was just dumped as trade fodder for Gordon Hayward's expiring deal. Dids they get a 2023 pick swap from us? Yes. They had a worse record, so no pick was conveyed.

So, who was OKC supposed to take back from us to trade Paul George? He was #3 in MVP voting. You can use revisionist history, but that doesn't change what the negotiations were at the time. While you were in the room what offers did you put on the table for Ballmer to discuss? What was your alternative if Kawhi decided to not sign with us and potentially join the Lakers instead? Where was that going to put the Clips future?

No one is kicking themselves over getting rid of Luke Kennard. Kennard was a cap drain and terrible defensively. Since you can predict that the Clippers absolutely would have drafted Cam Whitmore, I am sure you also must have predicted before that trade that Lou Dort would hyperextend PG's knee and knock him out for the rest of the season impacting the Clips chances to pass the Suns and the Nets in the standings.

You complain that Paul George hasn't won anything, but he led this team to the WCF. A WCF where we had a legitimate chance to take down the Suns (without Kawhi) until Zu was injured in Game 4. Last I checked, OKC hasn't won a playoff series since the trade. Could they win one this year, Yes. Could they get bounced early? Yes. The Mavs, Suns, Lakers or GSW could take them out. The Mavs would be their worst nightmare. I don't know anyone that would be looking forward to a playoff Luka in the 1st round.

Good post. I think what really stung in the trade was the year prior where we took Jerome Robinson over Michael Porter Jr. Who knows, maybe OKC takes MPJ and picks instead of SGA and picks. Or they take SGA and MPJ and we keep all of our picks. Or the trade stays the same where we lose SGA but keep MPJ. I know about Porter's back issues and all but still, it was such a huge botch job by Frank and the front office when both players fell into our laps like they did. Of course we gained two all stars but not having anything to show from that draft is nuts and a total head scratcher.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#73 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:33 pm

Clemenza wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:The book was already out on PG before we traded for him. Great regular season guy, headcase when it matters. And he's not even reliable in the regular season anymore.

Good post. I think what really stung in the trade was the year prior where we took Jerome Robinson over Michael Porter Jr. Who knows, maybe OKC takes MPJ and picks instead of SGA and picks. Or they take SGA and MPJ and we keep all of our picks. Or the trade stays the same where we lose SGA but keep MPJ. I know about Porter's back issues and all but still, it was such a huge botch job by Frank and the front office when both players fell into our laps like they did. Of course we gained two all stars but not having anything to show from that draft is nuts and a total head scratcher.

Drafting Robinson over MPJ was a huge mistake.Yes, a lot of that is hindsight, but at the time many people questioned it especially because they had 2 picks- why not take a risk for one considering the huge upside.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#74 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:01 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
clipperlover wrote:I didn't mention SGA in that last pots. I mentioned the potential non-impactful draft picks. Did OKC get Jalen Williams from a pick we sent them? Yes. Was that draft position the direct result of Kawhi missing the entire prior season? Yes. Did they get Tre Mann with one of those picks? Yes. The same Tre Mann that was just dumped as trade fodder for Gordon Hayward's expiring deal. Dids they get a 2023 pick swap from us? Yes. They had a worse record, so no pick was conveyed.

Drafting Robinson over MPJ was a huge mistake.Yes, a lot of that is hindsight, but at the time many people questioned it especially because they had 2 picks- why not take a risk for one considering the huge upside.

The crazy thing IIRC is that West was a huge Robinson fan, if so that's likely why we picked him at all. Goes to show no one bats 1.000.
wco81
RealGM

Post#75 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:09 pm

SGA may not be the player he is now if he stayed with the Clippers.

Supposedly his development was helped a lot by the one season CP3 was there, especially the whole midrange game, as his bread and butter spots are the elbows, which is where CP3 excelled in his prime.

Also, he has been the featured player at OKC whereas if he stayed with the Clippers, would he get the same touches or for that matter, the same developmental coaches?

The other thing is after his second contract is done, who knows if he will stay at OKC. That would be brutal for that franchise but they have a great young core so he'd probably be motivated to stay if they did very well in the playoffs before he's eligible for a super max extension.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#76 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:57 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Good post. I think what really stung in the trade was the year prior where we took Jerome Robinson over Michael Porter Jr. Who knows, maybe OKC takes MPJ and picks instead of SGA and picks. Or they take SGA and MPJ and we keep all of our picks. Or the trade stays the same where we lose SGA but keep MPJ. I know about Porter's back issues and all but still, it was such a huge botch job by Frank and the front office when both players fell into our laps like they did. Of course we gained two all stars but not having anything to show from that draft is nuts and a total head scratcher.

The crazy thing IIRC is that West was a huge Robinson fan, if so that's likely why we picked him at all. Goes to show no one bats 1.000.

I thought he would be good too initially- reminded me of CJ McCollum
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#77 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:57 pm

wco81 wrote:SGA may not be the player he is now if he stayed with the Clippers.

Supposedly his development was helped a lot by the one season CP3 was there, especially the whole midrange game, as his bread and butter spots are the elbows, which is where CP3 excelled in his prime.

Also, he has been the featured player at OKC whereas if he stayed with the Clippers, would he get the same touches or for that matter, the same developmental coaches?

The other thing is after his second contract is done, who knows if he will stay at OKC. That would be brutal for that franchise but they have a great young core so he'd probably be motivated to stay if they did very well in the playoffs before he's eligible for a super max extension.

maybe he would want to return to the Clippers- one can hope!
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#78 » by clipperlover » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:21 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Drafting Robinson over MPJ was a huge mistake.Yes, a lot of that is hindsight, but at the time many people questioned it especially because they had 2 picks- why not take a risk for one considering the huge upside.

I thought he would be good too initially- reminded me of CJ McCollum

When MPJr fell, I was hoping we would take him. We could have let him sit for a year. Before MPJr fell our way, I was for Troy Brown Jr whom I thought would be able to develop defensively.

Never believed in Robinson. Most mocks had him late in the 1st. What was worse was when they tried to play him to justify making the pick.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#79 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:27 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:maybe he would want to return to the Clippers- one can hope!

I used to feel that way too, but I doubt he even considers leaving OKC until his 30s (assuming they don't win anything with him) and you don't win in the NBA anymore by throwing big money at guys in their 30s. That ship has likely sailed.

We're not going to win anything serious until we start drafting more SGA-tier prospects and, more importantly, keeping and developing them.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#80 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:32 pm

clipperlover wrote:When MPJr fell, I was hoping we would take him. We could have let him sit for a year. Before MPJr fell our way, I was for Troy Brown Jr whom I thought would be able to develop defensively.

Never believed in Robinson. Most mocks had him late in the 1st. What was worse was when they tried to play him to justify making the pick.

I wasn't even all that high on MPJ because of his matador defense and injuries, but I was still seething when I heard Jerome's name called. That was the classic Clippers draft pick that you just knew from the moment it was made that it'd be a catastrophe, and it was.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers