Clippers Looking for Tweener Forward Center

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Clippers Looking for Tweener Forward Center 

Post#1 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:33 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274274/Clippers-Looking-On-Trade-Market-For-Tweener-Forward-Backup-Center

Saw this one coming. Just call me the Seer 8-)

Anyway--wanted to get some thoughts about potential targets that I think could be available. I've got three.

Chris Boucher. Best overall choice. If Toronto holds on to Siakam--or even if they don't and start a young rebuild--Boucher is a total odd man out. He can rim protect, shoot the long ball, and doesn't miss games. He's put on some weight--I figure he plays at around 220 now--but he's definitely more of a backup at C. But he's got great size at PF and can defend.

Santi Aldama. He's getting some run with Memphis, but I think their whole team is able to be traded for, so it's worth making a run for him. Typical Euro big; plays facing the basket more and doesn't bang in the interior much. Not a great scorer, but has some range and passes the ball well. Good size at 6'11", 220--a little gator armed, but still big enough for a backup C.

Chimezie Metu.
A backup player. Not a great perimeter shooter, but spreads the court enough to keep opposing teams honest. Athletic. Good size (6'9", 225, with a 7'0.5" wingspan.) Probably the most attainable of these three.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,510

Re: Clippers Looking for Tweener Forward Center 

Post#2 » by HardenGoat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:39 pm

It’s a shame Tucker fell off a cliff. He used to be able to disrupt the best players like Durant and even Jokic in playoffs. Need a defensive plan against those players
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#3 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:39 pm

Yeah I like Chris Boucher the most. Also maybe the most plausible since he's in the east.

Either of Aldama/Metu I like as well, they both bring what is not present on the roster and you ideally want in playoff matchups and two-way flexibility with adequate shooting.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,709

Post#4 » by KL2 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:10 pm

I haven’t listened to it …

Read on Twitter
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 730

Post#5 » by Captain Ballmer » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:39 pm

Isaiah Steward. Pistons might not want to extend him so they might seek a veteran help. I'd add him to target list.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#6 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:40 pm

I like both Finney-Smith and Royce a bunch as a hybrid forwards, primarily playing PF.

But would rather see get someone with a bit more overall length that can play C if needed.

Gotta check out that podcast.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#7 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:44 pm

Kelly Olynk is another guy that I would like to see on this team, and will likely be available from the Jazz. Solid all-around C/PF on both ends.

Doesn't bring the athleticism, but is agile enough defensively to be flexible in smaller line-ups.

Good podcast by the way.. the all-Clips part runs till about 45 min.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Enemies Become Friends? - A Suggestion 

Post#8 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Clippers are the Good Samaritan Spurs, playing for the good of basketball and not letting distractions or personal emotions get in the way of business; Green is beyond an antithesis. Aside from his propensity for getting into fights, getting ejected, fined and suspended, he is a Warrior, the Clippers arch nemesis who they helped make champions out of during the early days of the Lob City era by failing to take them seriously in the 2012-13 season. The chickens came home to roost in 2019 NBA Playoffs when Warriors were gifted the Revenge Of The Role Players, avenging their series elimination in the 2014 NBA Playoffs; however, as it was mired by the Donald Sterling scandal, I'll let it slide.

One of the tests I imposed on the Clippers as part of their Ultimatum Killer Kombat season was to avoid ejections at all cost, particularly to one of their franchise faces in Leonard and George. An ejection from either of them means the 213 era failed, Thunder won the trade, and there will be massive rumors of the Clippers possibly blowing it up*. As of today, eighteen teams have already had an ejection, and thankfully the Clippers are not on that list. Green just came off an indefinite suspension for his hit to Jusuf Nurkic, meaning his reputation as an evil player is still intact. It's very possible his penchant for techs, flagrants and ejections may rub off wrongly on the Clippers, a franchise that have been goody-two-shoes by force after the re-enforcement of the Player Participation Policy. Keep in mind Westbrook, Harden and George have all been ejected before; Leonard is clean, never been ejected throughout his career.

On the other hand, perhaps being around the Good Samaritan Clippers may be what keeps Green in check. Leonard is the closest thing to a Tim Duncan for these Clippers, and while Lue is no Popovich, there is still that Phil Jackson in him in terms of managing egos. It was initially thought that a Fantastic Four of Westbrook-Harden-George-Leonard would be a headache; imagine having Green around... WHEW! Ironically, I've noticed that Lue gets calmer when there's more chaos afoot. The more superstars to manage, the better his Zen, and the chances of controlling four superstars plus a malcontent role star will be far better than we initially imagined.

* Yes, I know Leonard just got extended, but they will use that game as evidence of "Clippers are losers" regardless. But that doesn't mean George, Harden and Westbrook are safe - they can still leave or be traded.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,206

Post#9 » by og15 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:13 pm

No thanks on Draymond, would be different if he wasn't a guy who has a history and is on a short leash with the NBA.

Also Draymond has 4 more seasons with $24-27 million left on his contract
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 160

Post#10 » by KingCrimzzon » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:50 am

Ballings7 wrote:Kelly Olynk is another guy that I would like to see on this team, and will likely be available from the Jazz. Solid all-around C/PF on both ends.

Doesn't bring the athleticism, but is agile enough defensively to be flexible in smaller line-ups.

Good podcast by the way.. the all-Clips part runs till about 45 min.

He would be real nice. Maybe with Zu down, it will expedite a trade in this area.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#11 » by clipperlover » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:17 am

Finney-Smith was starter for Mavs Western Conference Finals team 2 years ago. If we could move P.J. Tucker and Bones for him, I wouldn't hesitate. DFS is under contract for a couple of more years and could take on the old Batum role.
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#12 » by clipsfever » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:39 pm

DFS makes enormous sense

Detroit re-directing the Gallinari / Muscala package our way for PJs deal and trinkets also appeals
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#13 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Royce O'Neale or DFS would be nice. Heck, both would be nice, but I don't think the Clippers have enough pieces they are willing to give up to get that done.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#14 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:04 pm

clipsfever wrote:DFS makes enormous sense

Detroit re-directing the Gallinari / Muscala package our way for PJs deal and trinkets also appeals

i love gallo but is he even still a player at this point in time, given age and recent major injury?
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#15 » by clipsfever » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:38 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
clipsfever wrote:DFS makes enormous sense

i love gallo but is he even still a player at this point in time, given age and recent major injury?

Who knows, but if there's nothing better to spend PJs contract on, I'd do the the dice roll on it. He (or Muscala) only has to hit a few key 3s in big games to pay off.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#16 » by Vae Victus » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:01 am

With Pascal Siakam traded to Indy, i wonder if Obi Toppin can be obtainable. Would be excellent as a backup PF/3rd string small ball CF. His 3pt shooting has come along and he's in the final year of his rookie deal. Maybe PJ might be a player of interest to them, as well as any other assets we can toss at them.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#17 » by Bobbymcgee » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:54 pm

What about Chris Boucher of the Raptors? I think Tucker + Hyland works. I think he would play pretty good alongside Harden and Westbrook.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#18 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:58 pm

I'd love Boucher, but don't know how a deal would work. I like Toppin as a player, but not for us. He's a PF that plays smaller than he is, especially on D and on the boards. We need a PF that can play big if necessary.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#19 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:36 pm

I'd much rather Jalen Smith from Indy than Obi Toppin.

One of those younger big athletic forwards who can switch between PF and SF well, and adequate offensively.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4397189/jalen-smith

Seems like part of Indy's core, though.

Boucher from TOR would be ideal and seems gettable. Also be another 2019 Raps disciple for Kawhi : )
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#20 » by clipperlover » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:31 pm

Let's see what they do. Teams in East making some moves. Boston with the Tillman trade started the ball rolling. Knicks made good move. Philly dumped hometown Marcus Morris and nabbed Buddy Hield.

OKC trading for Hayward doesn't seem to be a needle mover for them, but unloads Bertrans contract for next year for an expiring contract.

Hope Clips move P.J. to Rockets for Landale.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers