ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Looking for Tweener Forward Center

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Re: Clippers Looking for Tweener Forward Center 

Post#81 » by Ballings7 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:15 pm

Wouldn't mind Gallinari at all for depth flexibility at PF with experience, and pretty clutch shooter.. would prefer Metu though between the two.

I think Gallo would love to join Clips and then retire later.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,709

Post#82 » by KL2 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Forgot about Bailey and Gabriel as potential options. Metu is my preferred choice still.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 731

Post#83 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:53 am

Gallo wanted to play, and his best chance is obviously with a coach known with nepotism regarding his former players. If Middleton is not healthy though, he might actually get rotational minutes.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#84 » by KingCrimzzon » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:23 pm

Gallo is more of a shooter than a defender/rebounder which is what we really need. Looking at the list of remaining, I feel that Metu or possibly Griffin (though I don't think he would come back) might be something. Problem is, the Chiropractor won't play 2 peeps above 6'8 at any one time. Honestly, they probably aren't going to do anything and approach games against big teams by doing their small ball 3pt shooting, GSW copying style. Hard to see that working in the playoffs, but OK....
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 922

Post#85 » by NickP » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:41 pm

Um, I'm sure Gallo will be very happy to play for his old coach Doc Rivers and the Bucks who have a solid 3-7 record in their last 10 games. :) :)
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#86 » by ERClips » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:04 pm

I liked Gallo for his shooting but doesn’t matter now. What we really need is Kawhi at full strength for the rest of the season & everyone else to elevate their games along side. Anybody else we add would just be getting spot minutes here and there anyway.
The west is a gauntlet from 1-8. 5-8 could definitely win a playoff series 1st round. Hopefully we rise to the occasion.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,280

Post#87 » by Scoundreldays » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:49 pm

Gabriel is a high effort energy guy but might get bullied since he is skinny. I'd go for Metu first then Green who can space the Floor then Gabriel.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#88 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:59 pm

Scoundreldays wrote:Gabriel is a high effort energy guy but might get bullied since he is skinny. I'd go for Metu first then Green who can space the Floor then Gabriel.

I like him, although I haven’t seen a ton of him. I think he's ideally just a PF, or maybe C against other teams' small ball lineups. But he is athletic and lengthy and IMO defensively gives us something we don't have (Zu, Plum, and Theis are all relatively stout for their size.) He is a better 3 PT shooter than Russ LOL, not saying much but can at least take the shot.

TBH I'm not surprised he's not on a bench somewhere.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 99

Post#89 » by jengmann3 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:04 am

KingCrimzzon wrote:Gallo is more of a shooter than a defender/rebounder which is what we really need. Looking at the list of remaining, I feel that Metu or possibly Griffin (though I don't think he would come back) might be something. Problem is, the Chiropractor won't play 2 peeps above 6'8 at any one time. Honestly, they probably aren't going to do anything and approach games against big teams by doing their small ball 3pt shooting, GSW copying style. Hard to see that working in the playoffs, but OK....

I agree with this post. I hate gimmicky small ball. I don't like that they don't have a lock down defender for Fox or Shai types, or a decent matchup for Zion. I don't love the center rotation. But I guess it is what it is at this point. I do think that these things lose series. But Griffin or Gallo may not move the needle. I may have put this in another post, but I'm concerned that one random wild card you can throw in a series has already basically said I need rotation minutes to buy in. I think some of these other guys are low maintenance and would embrace being a 9th or 10th man that may or may not get their moment. Bones and PJ in some ways, though I think Lue probably mangled it, could be difference makers in a game. But they both don't appear to be with it mentally.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#90 » by esqtvd » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:02 am

The first question is who Ballmer and the FO are willing to cut.

Law Murray confirmed the Clippers were sniffing around Gallinari, and other rumors said the Clips were his 2nd choice. So there could be some movement. I'm sure there will be more buyouts coming in the next month.

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,208

Post#91 » by og15 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:55 pm

jengmann3 wrote:
KingCrimzzon wrote:Gallo is more of a shooter than a defender/rebounder which is what we really need. Looking at the list of remaining, I feel that Metu or possibly Griffin (though I don't think he would come back) might be something. Problem is, the Chiropractor won't play 2 peeps above 6'8 at any one time. Honestly, they probably aren't going to do anything and approach games against big teams by doing their small ball 3pt shooting, GSW copying style. Hard to see that working in the playoffs, but OK....

I agree with this post. I hate gimmicky small ball. I don't like that they don't have a lock down defender for Fox or Shai types, or a decent matchup for Zion. I don't love the center rotation. But I guess it is what it is at this point. I do think that these things lose series. But Griffin or Gallo may not move the needle. I may have put this in another post, but I'm concerned that one random wild card you can throw in a series has already basically said I need rotation minutes to buy in. I think some of these other guys are low maintenance and would embrace being a 9th or 10th man that may or may not get their moment. Bones and PJ in some ways, though I think Lue probably mangled it, could be difference makers in a game. But they both don't appear to be with it mentally.

It's definitely a situation of when you have Harden, George and Kawhi all being paid, you have to accept that the roster will have some holes that aren't easily fixed.

It would be great to have like a KCP, but Mann/Coffey and then Westbrook taking on the defensive role will have to do.
UKClipperfan
Junior
And1: 181

Post#92 » by UKClipperfan » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:58 pm

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Forgot about Bailey and Gabriel as potential options. Metu is my preferred choice still.

Can any of these guys guard KAT better than what we currently have? If not, there's not much of a point imo. That's looking like our biggest Achilles heal so far.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect

Post#93 » by Captain Ballmer » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:34 pm

UKClipperfan wrote:
KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can any of these guys guard KAT better than what we currently have? If not, there's not much of a point imo. That's looking like our biggest Achilles heal so far.

Metu can. He has legit size & athleticsm.

(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
UKClipperfan
Junior
And1: 181

Post#94 » by UKClipperfan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:46 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:
UKClipperfan wrote:
KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

If he's that good why is he available on the waiver wire? Injuries? Attitude? Trade fodder? I genuinely don't know. Never heard of this player. Odds are Kawhi will have to guard KAT if we see Min in the playoffs.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect

Post#95 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:22 am

UKClipperfan wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:
UKClipperfan wrote:

If he's that good why is he available on the waiver wire? Injuries? Attitude? Trade fodder? I genuinely don't know. Never heard of this player. Odds are Kawhi will have to guard KAT if we see Min in the playoffs.

He's in the mold of C.Wood type of players. Gifted enough but lack of something. He's not a locker room cancer as for as I know. Probably asked out from Phx when they got O'neale ended up his rotation time.

Shooting is streaky, Low Basketball IQ for winning teams, bad A/TO ratio and tendancy to make quick fouls since he miss defensive rotations occasionally. Good rebounder, athletic, size& strength with body coordination out there.

It would be massacre to us if you put him on the floor against Denver&Jokic in PO game but I think he can be helpful on limited times against Pelicans and Wolves since they play with their youth&physicality rather than schemes&cuts. Can't see Zion going at him like to the Plumlee recently 6 times in a row get buckets& couple and ones. Matchup based 10th player role
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#96 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Metu got traded to Memphis as part of the Royce O’Neal/Victor Oladipo three team swap. Memphis had a ton of players already under contract, so Metu (expiring) had to go. (They waived Victor Oladipo too; it was a numbers thing.)

Metu played … okay for the Suns this year. Their frontcourt rotation is pretty well set with Nurk/Eubanks at C, and Durant at PF. The Suns clearly wanted/want to stay with smaller ball since they got rid of both Keita Bates-Diop and Metu. Neither of those guys is world beaters, but both are legit low rotation players that can play at PF (Metu more than Diop).

I like Metu but don’t want to overstate what he is. I think Metu would play about 15 mpg. He’d average about 6.5 points and 4 boards. He’d shoot around 50% from the field and 30% from 3. I think that because that’s pretty much exactly whet he’s done for the past four years. He’s a low rotation player. But he’s got good size for a PF (6’9.5”, 9’0” standing reach) and is bulky enough (about 230-235 now) to bang with bigger guys. One thing is that Metu had been a defensive player at USC and that never really panned out in the pros. He’s just okay on that end. In fact, he’s just okay at everything. But the thing is he’s just okay at a position where we don’t have anything, where our best player is playing somewhat out of position and isn’t 100% happy about it. Anything that can help out Kawhi is a plus in my book.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#97 » by Ballings7 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:07 pm

Metu or Bates-Diop would be useful additions, a chance to make an impact in the playoffs at times, and be reliable depth at PF for size and some two-way utility, versatility.

Bates-Diop can play on both ends, and can finish and shoot with range -- watched him with the Spurs quite a bit. Very long and active defender up front.

I'd feel better about the team in the playoffs against Minnesota having that option defensively with either of their length, and on the glass to help out Zu/Plumlee, and Kawhi up front.

Maybe PJ Tucker gets a few chances and steps up before the playoffs, and gets in gear to help out. I think against Minnesota its worth giving him a shot next game, and also against Denver as needed.

Denver is a different team though still long, but not as "big" like Minnesota.. they basically play Jokic, Gordon, and MPJ up front, in the playoffs, and thats it. Then again, watch DeAndre Jordan be a difference maker off the bench..

But still, Denver is a better match up of the two in terms of frontcourt size without a true PF.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,425

Post#98 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:26 am

Has Blake Griffin stayed in shape? He might be helpful against guys like Jokic, AD, Zion, and KAT for some spot minutes here and there
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 99

Post#99 » by jengmann3 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:54 pm

Id probably sign Kai Jones and hope for the best.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,233

Post#100 » by Clemenza » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:22 pm

This is the guy to get right here. Get it done Frank!

Read on Twitter
?t=1eygHuFEEIAfCBvtPubMGw&s=19

Return to Los Angeles Clippers