Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Re: Clippers Looking for Tweener Forward Center 

Post#41 » by Ballings7 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:13 pm

Keita Bates Diop

Chimezie Metu

If bought out would be solid 4/3 guys with length, agility, and spacing ability. Seems unlikely now, though.

I also won't be surprised if Tucker has a few impactful games in the playoffs, and plays a role against Denver or Minnesota.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,206

Post#42 » by Max Headrom » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:57 pm

Harden was the Clippers big move and it's obviously paid off. Clippers were the best team in basketball before the deadline and will remain the best team in basketball after the deadline. Some people just wanted to make a move for the sake of making a move.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,207

Post#43 » by og15 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:43 pm

If there was a savior player out there, PJ Tucker was not going to bring in that player.

Clearly no team wants PJ's contract unless one is paying them to take it.

Trades require multiple parties, Clippers already made their big trade, and one can't always manufacture players you don't want or need into better players.

---------

As of now, the West has a pretty strong top 4, one could theorize that any West team would have close to a 50/50 situation in the 2nd round.

If Clippers end up 1st, the second round matchup has a good chance of being any of OKC, DEN or MIN, but the advantage of 1st is the you would have HCA.

Any landing spot from 1-4, when the second round comes around, if things stay similar to now, the Clippers are most likely to be playing OKC, DEN or MIN, so there's no cakewalk like last season.

Even the first round, Phoenix is surging since Beal for healthy, playing 58-59 win pace over their last 21 games. 3rd or 4th and one could get Phoenix or New Orleans in the first round of Sacramento doesn't surge ahead.

Phoenix could potentially take a higher seed first round opponent too if things start really clicking there and be the 2nd round matchup for a 1 or 2 seed.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,709

Post#44 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:12 am

Max Headrom wrote:Some people just wanted to make a move for the sake of making a move.

The only reason I was expecting something was because of Leonard’s comments. He said he was just holding the PF spot down until they acquired a player.

And Tucker sure doesn’t sound happy he’s staying. Sheesh.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

No 'Leans By Any Means Necessary 

Post#45 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:16 am

og15 wrote:3rd or 4th and one could get Phoenix or New Orleans in the first round of Sacramento doesn't surge ahead.

But what if Clippers end up getting Pelicans? They've lost four straight season series to New Orleans beginning after the greatest 3-1 collapse in NBA history. Outside of Nuggets, Suns, and former Clipper Chris Paul, the Pelicans may be their greatest threat if not the Leonard-George kryptonite. If Pelicans get Clippers, they could lose the series instantly.

I don't know who they could get in order to help defeat Pelicans, and note that the engines revving the Pelican-mobile are with Jose Alvarado, Jonas Valanciunas and Herb Jones: role players. They might have to look into signing a former Sixth Man award winner, or go after a former superstar big. No, not Blake Griffin, perhaps Dwight Howard but he's way too removed. This is a P.J. Tucker situation all over again, getting a big very late into their careers.

Clippers may have to tank the playoffs selectively so they can avoid New Orleans at any cost until the conference finals. The last thing they want is staying no. 1 seed and Pelicans draw them 8th. That happens, it's We Believe Warriors 2.0 time with a high degree of a third 3-1 collapse or worse: the fabled 3-0 comeback that no team has ever recovered from. And I'm honestly worried.
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#46 » by ERClips » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:43 am

I don’t see the Clippers tanking to avoid any opponent. Look, the west is a gauntlet no matter what. Including those teams that have to face us. Once we get there we just have to play at our highest level on defense. Hopefully any offensive lapses will only happen with one key player at any given time.

This current team can win it all. Time will tell if the stars align & it’s meant to be.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 998

Re: No 'Leans By Any Means Necessary 

Post#47 » by clipperlover » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:11 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:But what if Clippers end up getting Pelicans? They've lost four straight season series to New Orleans beginning after the greatest 3-1 collapse in NBA history. Outside of Nuggets, Suns, and former Clipper Chris Paul, the Pelicans may be their greatest threat if not the Leonard-George kryptonite. If Pelicans get Clippers, they could lose the series instantly.

I don't know who they could get in order to help defeat Pelicans, and note that the engines revving the Pelican-mobile are with Jose Alvarado, Jonas Valanciunas and Herb Jones: role players. They might have to look into signing a former Sixth Man award winner, or go after a former superstar big. No, not Blake Griffin, perhaps Dwight Howard but he's way too removed. This is a P.J. Tucker situation all over again, getting a big very late into their careers.

Clippers may have to tank the playoffs selectively so they can avoid New Orleans at any cost until the conference finals. The last thing they want is staying no. 1 seed and Pelicans draw them 8th. That happens, it's We Believe Warriors 2.0 time with a high degree of a third 3-1 collapse or worse: the fabled 3-0 comeback that no team has ever recovered from. And I'm honestly worried.

Can someone remind me how many 3-1 series leads that Ty Lue coached teams have lost?

I remember 2021 where we lost 1st 2 games at home and came back to win the series. Then, we lost 1st to games on the road and Kawhi during the series, but still won the series. We were on the verge of tying up the WCF when Zubac got hurt.

Last year, he was without PG for the playoffs and Kawhi got hurt in Game 2 or we could have went up 2-0. Team battled in Game 3, but had to overcome some very slanted officiating. They gave the Suns a much harder series than they would have expected with us down our 2 stars.

I am not worried about anyone in the playoffs other than the defending Champs. We have three future HoF players that haven't won a title yet that are coming together on a team with a 2 time Finals MVP. This team is going to be locked in and focused. They are on a mission.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Re: No 'Leans By Any Means Necessary 

Post#48 » by og15 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:32 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
og15 wrote:3rd or 4th and one could get Phoenix or New Orleans in the first round of Sacramento doesn't surge ahead.

But what if Clippers end up getting Pelicans? They've lost four straight season series to New Orleans beginning after the greatest 3-1 collapse in NBA history. Outside of Nuggets, Suns, and former Clipper Chris Paul, the Pelicans may be their greatest threat if not the Leonard-George kryptonite. If Pelicans get Clippers, they could lose the series instantly.

Play who you play, figure it out, if you lose, you lose. Clippers don't need to be ducking anyone.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#49 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:45 am

KL2 wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:Some people just wanted to make a move for the sake of making a move.

The only reason I was expecting something was because of Leonard’s comments. He said he was just holding the PF spot down until they acquired a player.

He wants the rest of his $11.5 million too. Boo hoo.

Mook is headed for the buyout market after the Pacers dumped him off on the Spurs. He's actually been more productive than Tucker this year. I wonder if there's a market for either one.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
KL2
Analyst

Post#50 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:56 am

Read on Twitter
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,206

Post#51 » by Max Headrom » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:07 am

KL2 wrote:

I think Kobe is good enough for spot PF minutes. And even if the Clippers get a PF, they're not coming in this late in the season to start. And the data with the current starting lineup when everyone is healthy is too good to go away from. It's not like every team has a Zion or big, skilled PF's or C's. I like the team as is
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#52 » by nickhx2 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:22 am

yeah, team's fine. kinda surprised there's this much hoopla already over what the team didn't do. we made the move we needed to make earlier in the season and the only thing we need is to hold steady and keep building.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,280

Post#53 » by Scoundreldays » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:04 am

No point in ducking teams for playoffs. All 8 teams are going to be tough. Would not be surprised one bit if multiple teams get upset.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#54 » by Bobbymcgee » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:41 pm

Thad Young or Gallo?

I kind of like the idea of bringing in Thad Young. But, I feel like Tucker needs to be bought out or else it is going to be pretty awkward and may ruin team chemistry in the locker room with Tucker pouting even more.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#55 » by clipperlover » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:45 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Thad Young or Gallo?

I kind of like the idea of bringing in Thad Young. But, I feel like Tucker needs to be bought out or else it is going to be pretty awkward and may ruin team chemistry in the locker room with Tucker pouting even more.

Danilo could be a great signing for us. His salary was below the mid-level this year, so he is someone we can sign.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-buyout-market-explained-how-the-rules-have-changed-with-the-new-cba-and-what-to-expect-in-coming-weeks/

He is still an good 3PT and FT shooter that could help us.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gallida01/gamelog/2024

As far as Tucker goes, he is a tool in Ty's toolbox. We may need him at some point to help us in a playoff game. Ty isn't going to go to Kobe Brown in an important point of a playoff game, but he may go to P.J. As the season gets closer to the playoffs, he is going see the ring is a possibility. I respect the fact he doesn't want to be given a ring, but wants to contribute to it. He will have his opportunities. DeAndre Jordan and Reggie Jackson were non-factors on the court in the playoffs last year, but their experience contributed in other ways.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#56 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:52 pm

clipperlover wrote:

Danillo could be a great signing for us. His salary was below the mid-level this year, so he is someone we can sign.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-buyout-market-explained-how-the-rules-have-changed-with-the-new-cba-and-what-to-expect-in-coming-weeks/

The problem is that probably everyone who posts in this board is more mobile than Danilo, so not sure what he adds for us. That being said, if we did pick him up it would be nice for the nostalgia (which is what I said last year about Blake.)
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#57 » by clipperlover » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:09 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Danillo could be a great signing for us. His salary was below the mid-level this year, so he is someone we can sign.

The problem is that probably everyone who posts in this board is more mobile than Danilo, so not sure what he adds for us. That being said, if we did pick him up it would be nice for the nostalgia (which is what I said last year about Blake.)

He may not be as mobile, but he still has length that we could use on a guy like Jokic.

Here are some highlights from last week vs the Cavs:
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#58 » by og15 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:04 pm

Tucker buyout is tough because of that extra season.

Thaddeus Young is too much of a spacing problem with his lack of attempting three's in recent seasons. Gallo might be a solid plug in option, but if the goal is getting a guy to help defensively against bigger 4's, I don't know how much he can give to that right now.
KL2
Analyst

Post#59 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:32 pm

He says PJ will be all right and he’ll get an opportunity to play. Ok then.

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Post#60 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:00 pm

I'm even more frustrated now that we're going to have to sit through more PJ Tucker minutes just so he won't sulk in public.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers