ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi Leonard Injury update

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,445

Re: Kawhi Leonard Injury update 

Post#61 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:12 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Three more years of this.

I'd still rather have him, as he is a top 5 player when healthy- unless some great trade were to be offered.

However, I hope he will play through some discomfort. Even there is a some genuine inflammation- it is playoff time and he should play through it if there isn't any structural damage.

I wonder why he is so secretive though. Did the whole experience with the Spurs sour him?
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,005

Post#62 » by clipperlover » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:57 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:

I'd still rather have him, as he is a top 5 player when healthy- unless some great trade were to be offered.

However, I hope he will play through some discomfort. Even there is a some genuine inflammation- it is playoff time and he should play through it if there isn't any structural damage.

I wonder why he is so secretive though. Did the whole experience with the Spurs sour him?

Can anyone give me a reason why they should have played him these last several games that he sat out?

If he played and got hurt, then people would complain about him. He puts in the most games of his career since pre-SA injury and people complain. He is a 2 time NBA Finals MVP. He knows what it takes to win and I have no doubt he is preparing himself to play at the highest levels against one of the biggest individual talents in the NBA. No doubt in my mind that if the team needed him to play in order to stay out of the play-in that he would have played. Instead, his teammates stepped up and said "we got you" and he was able to get extra rest.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#63 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:48 pm

clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

Can anyone give me a reason why they should have played him these last several games that he sat out?

If he played and got hurt, then people would complain about him. He puts in the most games of his career since pre-SA injury and people complain. He is a 2 time NBA Finals MVP. He knows what it takes to win and I have no doubt he is preparing himself to play at the highest levels against one of the biggest individual talents in the NBA. No doubt in my mind that if the team needed him to play in order to stay out of the play-in that he would have played. Instead, his teammates stepped up and said "we got you" and he was able to get extra rest.

I support him resting- I'm just worried he may not play in the playoffs with the way Lue responded in the last press conference
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,227

Post#64 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:24 pm

LamarWho wrote:Next Sunday will be 3 full weeks since he last played (3/31). If they still give us the "inflammation" BS I am so done with this guy and this franchise.

If he doesn't suit up for Game 1 and there isn't a real explanation (not Lue dodging the question like always), I don't know how anyone can defend him anymore. At some point he needs to be a leader and a competitor like he's paid a lot of money to do.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#65 » by clipperlover » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:50 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I'd still rather have him, as he is a top 5 player when healthy- unless some great trade were to be offered.

I support him resting- I'm just worried he may not play in the playoffs with the way Lue responded in the last press conference

Is Lue concerned Kawhi won't play or is this just some gamesmanship? Why not keep the Mavs guessing? Why not have the Mavs put together multiple games plans one for Kawhi and one for without Kawhi?

Sure, the gambling community doesn't like it, but oh well.

Luka is a beast. I think some guys got a lot of run recently because Ty is going to be trying to throw a lot of looks at Luka. I expect Kobe Brown will see some spot minutes against Luka because of his size.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#66 » by jengmann3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:19 pm

There really should be some penalty from the NBA regarding stuff like this. Fans are invested, and buy tickets to watch players play. I think if he's not healthy, he's not healthy. If he is dealing with knee inflammation it's not his fault. But I think if he's not going to play they should let fans know. It's not right that they keep doing this.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,107

Post#67 » by LamarWho » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 am

We'll find out soon in the practice facility, unless they don't allow any reporters in there. If the plastic T-1000 ain't doing much on the court then we are fncked.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,320

Post#68 » by Scoundreldays » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:19 am

If after all this time he is still injured and the team or Kawhi isn't being transparent about it I'm honestly done with the team. Hope that's not the case
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,239

Post#69 » by Clemenza » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:31 am

clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Is Lue concerned Kawhi won't play or is this just some gamesmanship? Why not keep the Mavs guessing? Why not have the Mavs put together multiple games plans one for Kawhi and one for without Kawhi?

Luka is a beast. I think some guys got a lot of run recently because Ty is going to be trying to throw a lot of looks at Luka. I expect Kobe Brown will see some spot minutes against Luka because of his size.

I think it's time to ditch the mind games-showing ones hand and just go out there and kick some azz for a change. We've dealt with Luka for years now. Yeah he's some some extra bigs on his side this year but it's not like we've seen this before.

I knew everyone was sitting out the Rockets game, but Kawhi sitting out the 2nd Suns game and the Jazz game pretty much meant that something might not be right with that knee. Lue wants to prep for theses games not be unsure if Kawhi is playing or not. Also a head scratcher that the team signed up for three more years of this
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 733

Post#70 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 am

Maybe they don't want to repeat last year so they preserving him.

Last season when calendar hit 2023, his minute restriction lifted;

January to April 2023, games played for each month 12, 9, 11, 4. Minutes per game 35.1, 37.9, 34.0, 37.3

Those heavy minute 36 games in 3,5 months took his knees in 2nd game of PHX series. We can say his body has like 35-40 piece of 36 mpg nba game for each run.

This season, he played first 27/27 games and missed the next 4 games with knee maintenance(coincidence?). Then he played the next 41/43 games and missed the final 8 games.

41 games > last season 36 games but per game minutes the load was pretty much the same. His condition level of knees is probably at where it was in the beginning of Phx series and due time to break down soon. So this 3 weeks of rest might be blessing in order for him to play another 25-30 game stretch he can be elite again.

Wishful thinking.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,260

Post#71 » by og15 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 pm

Clemenza wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

I think it's time to ditch the mind games-showing ones hand and just go out there and kick some azz for a change. We've dealt with Luka for years now. Yeah he's some some extra bigs on his side this year but it's not like we've seen this before.

I knew everyone was sitting out the Rockets game, but Kawhi sitting out the 2nd Suns game and the Jazz game pretty much meant that something might not be right with that knee. Lue wants to prep for theses games not be unsure if Kawhi is playing or not. Also a head scratcher that the team signed up for three more years of this

Luka never had a Kyrie next to him, this is definitely a very different Mavs team even more so than just the improvement in bigs.

It will be an interesting battle for sure.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#72 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm

og15 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Luka never had a Kyrie next to him, this is definitely a very different Mavs team even more so than just the improvement in bigs.

I haven't really examined the stats that closely, but it seems that past renditions of the Mavs had better perimeter shooting.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,726

Post#73 » by KL2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:51 pm

Might be nothing. USA basketball finalized 11 of its 12 players yesterday. Shams says Leonard is the leading candidate for the final spot. Others are up for consideration like PG and Brunson but it sounds like itā€™s Leonardā€™s to accept or not.

Only reason I mention it here is if Leonard is done this season as some here suspect he wouldnā€™t be the leading candidate for that spot right?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#74 » by og15 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
og15 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:I think it's time to ditch the mind games-showing ones hand and just go out there and kick some azz for a change. We've dealt with Luka for years now. Yeah he's some some extra bigs on his side this year but it's not like we've seen this before.

I haven't really examined the stats that closely, but it seems that past renditions of the Mavs had better perimeter shooting.

Yes, and that's the area Lue and his staff will have to attack. Lively and Washington are not deadly shooters, so Clippers will have to test their shot making and possibly force Dallas to adjust which can decrease their defensive strength.
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 167

Post#75 » by KingCrimzzon » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:42 pm

KL2 wrote:Might be nothing. USA basketball finalized 11 of its 12 players yesterday. Shams says Leonard is the leading candidate for the final spot. Others are up for consideration like PG and Brunson but it sounds like itā€™s Leonardā€™s to accept or not.

Only reason I mention it here is if Leonard is done this season as some here suspect he wouldnā€™t be the leading candidate for that spot right?

Screaming Stephen A Smith doesn't want Kawhi on team https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39954690&ved=2ahUKEwi17d7ZvseFAxWokIkEHTCECQ0QwqsBegQIDhAE&usg=AOvVaw3gWyuuo0bYX___TkO7W01A
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,764

Post#76 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:08 pm

This apparently needs to be a stickied thread on this board until Kawhi is no longer on the team. :waaa: :lol:
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#77 » by clipperlover » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:30 pm

og15 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Kyrie is a better shooter, but this Mavs team is not as big or as strong defensively as the team in the last meeting. Plus it is Ty Lue vs Jason Kidd this time and not Carlisle.

Clips aren't trotting out MMSr, Batum and Reggie Jackson to compliment Kawhi and PG. Last time around, Dorian FInney-Smith and Hardaway Jr did the heavy lifting on PG and Kawhi. Zu only played 98 minutes over 7 games in the last playoff meeting.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#78 » by og15 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 pm

clipperlover wrote:
og15 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:I think it's time to ditch the mind games-showing ones hand and just go out there and kick some azz for a change. We've dealt with Luka for years now. Yeah he's some some extra bigs on his side this year but it's not like we've seen this before.

Kyrie is a better shooter, but this Mavs team is not as big or as strong defensively as the team in the last meeting. Plus it is Ty Lue vs Jason Kidd this time and not Carlisle.

Clips aren't trotting out MMSr, Batum and Reggie Jackson to compliment Kawhi and PG. Last time around, Dorian FInney-Smith and Hardaway Jr did the heavy lifting on PG and Kawhi. Zu only played 98 minutes over 7 games in the last playoff meeting.

They are likely stronger defensively. The Clippers faced Mavs teams ranked 20th and 18th in Drtg. This season they are ranked 18th again, but had a drastic change post trade. Finney-Smith is a very good defender, but Hardaway is quite below average.

They have Washington and Jones Jr as well as Exum and Green now on the wing and their bigs have much better mobility and rim protection.

Oct-Jan: 119.1 Drtg
Feb-April: 111.9 Drtg

That's a massive difference, pretty wild really. The previous Mavs teams were not strong defensively. This Mavs team is arguably weaker offensively overall, but post trade look like a much better on defense.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,726

Post#79 » by KL2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:31 pm

Finally. Better than nothing. More than we usually get.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,913

Post#80 » by esqtvd » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 pm

Read on Twitter

USA? I thought he was from Mars.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers