Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,728

Re: Kawhi Leonard Injury update 

Post#81 » by KL2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

No way he commits to the team if his knee isn’t healthy.

USA wanted his commitment now or they were going to the next guy. I bet that’s why we get news that he’s not a full participant in practice but ramping up to be ready for game 1.

Let’s thank USA basketball for not playing mind games. Finally we get answers.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,008

Post#82 » by clipperlover » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:58 pm

og15 wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
og15 wrote:Luka never had a Kyrie next to him, this is definitely a very different Mavs team even more so than just the improvement in bigs.

It will be an interesting battle for sure.

Kyrie is a better shooter, but this Mavs team is not as big or as strong defensively as the team in the last meeting. Plus it is Ty Lue vs Jason Kidd this time and not Carlisle.

Clips aren't trotting out MMSr, Batum and Reggie Jackson to compliment Kawhi and PG. Last time around, Dorian FInney-Smith and Hardaway Jr did the heavy lifting on PG and Kawhi. Zu only played 98 minutes over 7 games in the last playoff meeting.

They are likely stronger defensively. The Clippers faced Mavs teams ranked 20th and 18th in Drtg. This season they are ranked 18th again, but had a drastic change post trade. Finney-Smith is a very good defender, but Hardaway is quite below average.

They have Washington and Jones Jr as well as Exum and Green now on the wing and their bigs have much better mobility and rim protection.

Oct-Jan: 119.1 Drtg
Feb-April: 111.9 Drtg

That's a massive difference, pretty wild really. The previous Mavs teams were not strong defensively. This Mavs team is arguably weaker offensively overall, but post trade look like a much better on defense.

Hardaway was a really strong defender in 2021. His injury in 2022 a big reason why they were not able to make the Finals.

They don't have any more size than the Clips which was their big advantage in 2021 where they had 4 of 5 starters at 6'7' or above.

A big X factor will be where Lively's head is at since his mom just passed away.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,274

Post#83 » by og15 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:04 pm

clipperlover wrote:
og15 wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Kyrie is a better shooter, but this Mavs team is not as big or as strong defensively as the team in the last meeting. Plus it is Ty Lue vs Jason Kidd this time and not Carlisle.

Clips aren't trotting out MMSr, Batum and Reggie Jackson to compliment Kawhi and PG. Last time around, Dorian FInney-Smith and Hardaway Jr did the heavy lifting on PG and Kawhi. Zu only played 98 minutes over 7 games in the last playoff meeting.

They are likely stronger defensively. The Clippers faced Mavs teams ranked 20th and 18th in Drtg. This season they are ranked 18th again, but had a drastic change post trade. Finney-Smith is a very good defender, but Hardaway is quite below average.

They have Washington and Jones Jr as well as Exum and Green now on the wing and their bigs have much better mobility and rim protection.

Oct-Jan: 119.1 Drtg
Feb-April: 111.9 Drtg

That's a massive difference, pretty wild really. The previous Mavs teams were not strong defensively. This Mavs team is arguably weaker offensively overall, but post trade look like a much better on defense.

Hardaway was a really strong defender in 2021. His injury in 2022 a big reason why they were not able to make the Finals.

They don't have any more size than the Clips which was their big advantage in 2021 where they had 4 of 5 starters at 6'7' or above.

A big X factor will be where Lively's head is at since his mom just passed away.

I don't remember him ever being a strong defender
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,244

Post#84 » by Clemenza » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:47 am

og15 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Is Lue concerned Kawhi won't play or is this just some gamesmanship? Why not keep the Mavs guessing? Why not have the Mavs put together multiple games plans one for Kawhi and one for without Kawhi?

Sure, the gambling community doesn't like it, but oh well.

Luka is a beast. I think some guys got a lot of run recently because Ty is going to be trying to throw a lot of looks at Luka. I expect Kobe Brown will see some spot minutes against Luka because of his size.

I think it's time to ditch the mind games-showing ones hand and just go out there and kick some azz for a change. We've dealt with Luka for years now. Yeah he's some some extra bigs on his side this year but it's not like we've seen this before.

I knew everyone was sitting out the Rockets game, but Kawhi sitting out the 2nd Suns game and the Jazz game pretty much meant that something might not be right with that knee. Lue wants to prep for theses games not be unsure if Kawhi is playing or not. Also a head scratcher that the team signed up for three more years of this

Luka never had a Kyrie next to him, this is definitely a very different Mavs team even more so than just the improvement in bigs.

It will be an interesting battle for sure.

He also had a younger Jalen Brunson and Porzingis on his team the last time we faced them in the postseason. The better bigs on the team is the bigger difference for them this time around. Luka will get his stats as usual, but lets see if he gets others involved as well.
KL2
Analyst

Post#85 » by KL2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,963

Post#86 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 pm

So is Leonard playing all summer for Team USA a good thing or a bad thing for the Clippers next season?
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 777

Post#87 » by donemilio21 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:05 pm

it sounds like he received an injection to his knee in early April and expected to play in game 1.

I translate this as: "He may play in game 1, maybe a few games, but aint no way he can play 18-20 playoff games within a month that it takes to reach Finals. Only a matter of time we hear Kawhi is out indefinitely or day-to-day until we are eliminated."
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,452

Post#88 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:07 pm

donemilio21 wrote:it sounds like he received an injection to his knee in early April and expected to play in game 1.

I translate this as: "He may play in game 1, maybe a few games, but aint no way he can play 18-20 playoff games within a month that it takes to reach Finals. Only a matter of time we hear Kawhi is out indefinitely or day-to-day until we are eliminated."

when did they say he received an injection?
KL2
Analyst

Post#89 » by KL2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:12 pm

So I just listened. It doesn’t say when he got the injection. Earliest as possible is my guess. Shams says after rest he’s been doing intense workouts. He’s been at practice this week ramping up.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
KL2
Analyst

Post#90 » by KL2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#91 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 pm

At least they are being more transparent. It’s good he has no structural damage, but concerning that there’s swelling. I wonder what caused that
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,777

Post#92 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 pm

Damn, TBH I'm a lot less worried about when he will play than how long he will actually last. 1 series? 1 game? 1 quarter?

The ironic thing is that guys are going down like flies right now, we were looking really good right up until the last few games.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#93 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:11 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Damn, TBH I'm a lot less worried about when he will play than how long he will actually last. 1 series? 1 game? 1 quarter?

The ironic thing is that guys are going down like flies right now, we were looking really good right up until the last few games.

I wonder how much of it is a pain tolerance issue- he showed he could play through the pain with the Raptors during the playoffs- he was limping around in the final rounds
KL2
Analyst

Post#94 » by KL2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 pm

If there was any question about his knee holding up I don’t think he’d commit to USA basketball. While we’re getting more transparency this time it still seems conflicting. We’ve got Shams saying they’re optimistic he’ll play. You’ve got Tomer saying he’s heard Leonard is expected to wear one of his new shoes before launching next week. It sounds like he’s progressing and ramping up but now we have Frank making it sound like it’s not fast enough?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#95 » by nickhx2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Damn, TBH I'm a lot less worried about when he will play than how long he will actually last. 1 series? 1 game? 1 quarter?

I wonder how much of it is a pain tolerance issue- he showed he could play through the pain with the Raptors during the playoffs- he was limping around in the final rounds

yeah i don't think it's really a pain tolerance thing, considering your mention of the above

i'm certainly no doctor, nor am i any type of athlete so i don't know if what happened to me is the expectation, but some time back i got a dog bite on my finger - was pretty painful, but minimal swelling and no real damage, just needed to heal. WELL, since i decided it seemed fine-ish and wasn't really painful (beyond the actual bite and like a day of rest) i decided to assemble a shelf which required some hammering. and that finger that was a huge non-deal began to swell pretty much immediately, became really painful, and now became an issue i had to go see a doctor for lol.

i don't know for sure, but i wouldn't be surprised if this might be the reaction to stress that they're trying to avoid. inflammation and swelling is the body's response to protecting whatever's going on in any particular area so i very much see this as them trying to prevent further damage as the knee clearly isn't right.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 926

Post#96 » by NickP » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 pm

KL2 wrote:If there was any question about his knee holding up I don’t think he’d commit to USA basketball. While we’re getting more transparency this time it still seems conflicting. We’ve got Shams saying they’re optimistic he’ll play. You’ve got Tomer saying he’s heard Leonard is expected to wear one of his new shoes before launching next week. It sounds like he’s progressing and ramping up but now we have Frank making it sound like it’s not fast enough?

I think we’re reading too much into this committing to the Olympics thing. The committee and Kawhi both know he can always be replaced should that need arise. I’m gonna hang my hat on this whole new Shams injection theory and that he may be available in this series.
Given how most teams in the NBA think, I have a feeling they will roll the dice in game 1 without Kawhi. If they win they’ll roll the dice again in game 2 and buy him as much time as they can. If they lose game 1 then they’ll play him in game 2.
Don’t know why but I’m feeling optimistic about our chances against the Mavs even without Kawhi.
KL2
Analyst

Post#97 » by KL2 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 pm

NickP wrote:I think we’re reading too much into this committing to the Olympics thing. The committee and Kawhi both know he can always be replaced should that need arise. I’m gonna hang my hat on this whole new Shams injection theory and that he may be available in this series.
Given how most teams in the NBA think, I have a feeling they will roll the dice in game 1 without Kawhi. If they win they’ll roll the dice again in game 2 and buy him as much time as they can. If they lose game 1 then they’ll play him in game 2.
Don’t know why but I’m feeling optimistic about our chances against the Mavs even without Kawhi.

The only reason I’m using the Olympics is for 2 reasons. Leonard has never given this kind of commitment before and he never messes with his health. Sure, any of them can be replaced but I just don’t see Leonard accepting a jersey and going through the whole video process if his knee is that questionable. If they’re that concerned about his knee holding up for one game or a dozen then he shouldn’t have accepted imo.

FWIW Skip Bayless said his source told him Leonard is for sure out game 1. He’ll be good for Tuesday but at this point the team doesn’t believe he could guard Luka.

2 days will make that big of a difference? He’s knee is that bad but 2 days will allow him to go from 0 to 60? Even if they hold him out until game 3 doesn’t bode well if his knee is this questionable.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#98 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm

KL2 wrote:
NickP wrote:I think we’re reading too much into this committing to the Olympics thing. The committee and Kawhi both know he can always be replaced should that need arise. I’m gonna hang my hat on this whole new Shams injection theory and that he may be available in this series.

The only reason I’m using the Olympics is for 2 reasons. Leonard has never given this kind of commitment before and he never messes with his health. Sure, any of them can be replaced but I just don’t see Leonard accepting a jersey and going through the whole video process if his knee is that questionable. If they’re that concerned about his knee holding up for one game or a dozen then he shouldn’t have accepted imo.

FWIW Skip Bayless said his source told him Leonard is for sure out game 1. He’ll be good for Tuesday but at this point the team doesn’t believe he could guard Luka.

2 days will make that big of a difference? He’s knee is that bad but 2 days will allow him to go from 0 to 60? Even if they hold him out until game 3 doesn’t bode well if his knee is this questionable.
true, but Bayless likely has no sources and is just making it all up
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,274

Post#99 » by og15 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm

So far Kawhi has been the best Clipper to play, but the worst results.

If he's injured through these playoffs he would be 1/5 in being healthy and or making it to/through the second round healthy as a Clipper.

That's a pretty terrible percentage.

nickhx2 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

yeah i don't think it's really a pain tolerance thing, considering your mention of the above

i'm certainly no doctor, nor am i any type of athlete so i don't know if what happened to me is the expectation, but some time back i got a dog bite on my finger - was pretty painful, but minimal swelling and no real damage, just needed to heal. WELL, since i decided it seemed fine-ish and wasn't really painful (beyond the actual bite and like a day of rest) i decided to assemble a shelf which required some hammering. and that finger that was a huge non-deal began to swell pretty much immediately, became really painful, and now became an issue i had to go see a doctor for lol.

i don't know for sure, but i wouldn't be surprised if this might be the reaction to stress that they're trying to avoid. inflammation and swelling is the body's response to protecting whatever's going on in any particular area so i very much see this as them trying to prevent further damage as the knee clearly isn't right.

Just to add, the playoffs are an additional level of intensity. If he plays with a playable but not advisable knee injury (some other injuries are different when it comes to playing through) and it becomes a major knee injury, it benefits the team in no way. Hey we won game 1, but Kawhi is out for the playoffs, yay!

It's obviously just par the course with Kawhi though, we get our hopes up every year and it's the same result
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,331

Post#100 » by Scoundreldays » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 pm

Shouldn't had jumped the gun on extending him

Return to Los Angeles Clippers