ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi Leonard Injury update

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,246

Re: Kawhi Leonard Injury update 

Post#21 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:39 am

Let me guess, he won't play the rest of the season but will still be reported as "day-to-day" until after the first-round exit, at which point we'll be told (in full Orwellian doublespeak) that it was "always a longterm injury." So sick of the same old BS in every aspect of this team every year. :noway:
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,916

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:05 am

With another 5-in-7 coming up, now is not the time to push it. Unlike the squad PG dragged to the WCF, this year's team is complete crapola without Kawhi. I'm going over the +/- again [last 10 games, per 100 possessions], and it's not pretty. Usually there are some guys floating around 0.0 [which is statistical noise either way], but the dropoff here is shocking. Each guy we were counting on is worse than the last:

2 Kawhi Leonard 2.8
3 Paul George 2.4
4 Daniel Theis 1.3 [4 DNP-CDs]

6 James Harden -3.4
7 Norman Powell -3.7
8 P.J. Tucker -3.7
9 Russell Westbrook -5.1
10 Terance Mann -5.2
11 Ivica Zubac -5.8
12 Amir Coffey -7.5
13 Mason Plumlee -9.8
14 Bones Hyland -10.4
15 Brandon Boston Jr. -14.8

There's no there there. :o

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional?LastNGames=10&PerMode=Per100Possessions&TeamID=1610612746&dir=A&sort=PLUS_MINUS
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,940

Post#23 » by Sofia » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:07 am

MartinToVaught wrote:Let me guess, he won't play the rest of the season but will still be reported as "day-to-day" until after the first-round exit, at which point we'll be told (in full Orwellian doublespeak) that it was "always a longterm injury." So sick of the same old BS in every aspect of this team every year. :noway:
yup.

I gotta be honest, I now expect the “day to day” reports for this team to come back “leg just completely fell off 2 months ago, it was the craziest thing!”
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,099

Post#24 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:23 am

Sofia wrote:I gotta be honest, I now expect the “day to day” reports for this team to come back “leg just completely fell off 2 months ago, it was the craziest thing!”

We also gotta ask, "Why do they always do this." Mainly, to prevent opponents from having a psychological edge. As long as Leonard is listed day to day, he could come back at any moment, giving the Clippers the look of a trap game.

But the way they're doing it is also desperate. They're afraid that if Leonard is declared out for the season, they will lose their fans, people will lost trust in the Clippers, and it will be back to the drawing board in more ways than one. They need to face their fears and just be honest about everything, even if it hurts them emotionally. Overcoming adversity and admitting your franchise shortcomings should build character, but instead they're building a fortress to hide their insecurities.

Have Clippers ever lost honestly, humbly and honorably? Save for the 2019 Revenge Of The Role Players season (because there were no All-Stars on the roster, were an 8th seed, and were facing a team who wanted revenge for 2014), I don't think they've ever had. I keep hearing the words "lose on their terms," but what does that even mean?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,249

Post#25 » by Clemenza » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:56 am

One of Kawhi's demands was that he and his team (Uncle Dennis) gets to let the media and fans know the severity of his injuries when he joined the team. Clipps medical staff and front office can't disclose his injury until he gives them the say so which will probably be once our season is over with---- whenever that happens.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,780

Post#26 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:35 pm

Fixed it for you.

esqtvd wrote:With another 5-in-7 coming up, now is not the time to push it. Unlike the squad PG dragged to the WCF, this year's team is complete crapola without Kawhi. I'm going over the +/- again [last 10 games, per 100 possessions], and it's not pretty. Usually there are some guys floating around 0.0 [which is statistical noise either way], but the dropoff here is shocking. Each guy we were counting on is worse than the last:

2 Kawhi Leonard 2.8
3 Paul George 2.4
4 Daniel Theis 1.3 [4 DNP-CDs]
5 madmaxmedia 0.0 [10 DNP-CDs]
6 James Harden -3.4
7 Norman Powell -3.7
8 P.J. Tucker -3.7
9 Russell Westbrook -5.1
10 Terance Mann -5.2
11 Ivica Zubac -5.8
12 Amir Coffey -7.5
13 Mason Plumlee -9.8
14 Bones Hyland -10.4
15 Brandon Boston Jr. -14.8
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 931

Post#27 » by NickP » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:31 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Let me guess, he won't play the rest of the season but will still be reported as "day-to-day" until after the first-round exit, at which point we'll be told (in full Orwellian doublespeak) that it was "always a longterm injury." So sick of the same old BS in every aspect of this team every year. :noway:

This movie is getting really tiring with the same Damn excuses year after year. Not one effing good year with the entire squad healthy barring the bubble Doc genius coaching. I'm willing to sacrifice a sheep but that may only take us to the second round. :)
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 779

Post#28 » by donemilio21 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:50 pm

I'd rest Kawhi, and PG even if they are not injured. against Denver. thats OK. we'll probably lose with them playing anyway.
We gotta make sure we beat Utah
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,117

Post#29 » by LamarWho » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:59 pm

At least he didn't get injured this time, after teasing us in the playoff how amazing he is.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,734

Post#30 » by KL2 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:46 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
Sofia wrote:I gotta be honest, I now expect the “day to day” reports for this team to come back “leg just completely fell off 2 months ago, it was the craziest thing!”

We also gotta ask, "Why do they always do this." Mainly, to prevent opponents from having a psychological edge. As long as Leonard is listed day to day, he could come back at any moment, giving the Clippers the look of a trap game.

But the way they're doing it is also desperate. They're afraid that if Leonard is declared out for the season, they will lose their fans, people will lost trust in the Clippers, and it will be back to the drawing board in more ways than one. They need to face their fears and just be honest about everything, even if it hurts them emotionally. Overcoming adversity and admitting your franchise shortcomings should build character, but instead they're building a fortress to hide their insecurities.

Have Clippers ever lost honestly, humbly and honorably? Save for the 2019 Revenge Of The Role Players season (because there were no All-Stars on the roster, were an 8th seed, and were facing a team who wanted revenge for 2014), I don't think they've ever had. I keep hearing the words "lose on their terms," but what does that even mean?

This is a narrative that clicks with me. Like they always keep things so close to the vest because they are afraid, but afraid of what? That they will be exposed to criticism, angry fans, etc.? Withholding information doesn't get you anywhere, the info is coming out in the end and its just going to sow mistrust and actually further erode confidence in the organization.

Whatever minute competitive short-term advantage that might be gained is not worth it, at least as a general MO for this or any franchise. I feel there was a similar vibe around the Lakers when there was all sorts of defensiveness and sniping with Magic and Pelinka and Jeannie and whatnot, before they turned it around and landed Lebron.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,246

Post#32 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:30 am

Read on Twitter

Does this team realize how obvious it is that they're hiding something or do they just not care how this song and dance looks to the fans?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,459

Post#33 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:54 am

If kawhi told them not to talk about it, they have to honor that as frustrating as it might be for the fans
KL2
Analyst

Post#34 » by KL2 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:58 am

I’m surprised. That’s the most we’ve gotten isn’t it? Usually they just say he’s out and day to day. Lue says a couple games.

We’ll see though.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,117

Post#35 » by LamarWho » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:52 am

Not even mad at this, Clipper fans are used to this BS whenever this guy is missing games. Already considered him out for the rest of the season.
KL2
Analyst

Post#36 » by KL2 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:43 pm

Tomer was right. They had to get more specific with Leonard being out.

Read on Twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#37 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:04 pm

So when Ty was asked about it the other day, he said something along the lines of not getting into it, Kawhi is going to miss some games and that's it.

While yes I was conditioned to freak out like everyone else, an alternate (and very plausible) explanation is that they are letting him rest some games before the playoffs and that's why Ty was not going to get into it. I think he's practicing, so it's not like he's secretively getting ACL surgery or anything.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,475

Post#38 » by Ballings7 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:24 am

madmaxmedia wrote:So when Ty was asked about it the other day, he said something along the lines of not getting into it, Kawhi is going to miss some games and that's it.

While yes I was conditioned to freak out like everyone else, an alternate (and very plausible) explanation is that they are letting him rest some games before the playoffs and that's why Ty was not going to get into it. I think he's practicing, so it's not like he's secretively getting ACL surgery or anything.

Yep. I think he rests for most of the rest of the season, at least.

Okay with it.. have anything thats been nacking go away and get him ready to go.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,916

Post#39 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:38 pm

yeezus :o

Swanson: Updates? No update; Clippers, Kahwi Leonard keep their fans guessing

Leonard's absence looms large in determining the Clippers' fate, and a lack of information from the team has its fans understandably nervous

https://www.presstelegram.com/2024/04/11/swanson-updates-no-update-clippers-kahwi-leonard-keep-their-fans-guessing/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
KL2
Analyst

Post#40 » by KL2 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:23 pm

You never get an honest answer. Lue said he was hopeful he’d play against Denver. That was a week ago. I suppose the winning extended the rest/treatment. I was hoping he’d play a couple games for cardio like work. It’s going to be hell to go from 0 to 60 in the playoffs. Especially against a team like Dallas.

Last night you had Lue saying he wasn’t concerned right now the rest/treatment would extend into the playoffs. What the heck does right now mean?

The only differences this time that I notice. Leonard is on the bench (minus the last two Suns games) laughing and cheering the team on. And the team doesn’t look stressed when talking about it.

But until he’s on the court we’ll never know what answer they’ll give next.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers