ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME #60: LAC (39-20) @ BUCKS (40-21)—MON 3/4 5PM, NBA-TV

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 922

Re: GAME #60: LAC (39-20) @ BUCKS (40-21)—MON 3/4 5PM, NBA-TV 

Post#41 » by NickP » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:51 am

wakelaunch1 wrote:PG might be one of the dumbest players i have ever seen. 4th quarter choke job. Im taking a break from watching this pathetic team.

Cosign!!
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 160

Post#42 » by KingCrimzzon » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:56 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
ERClips wrote:I know PG is an all star but damn how frustrating.

This will sound harsh, but we need to be honest about what we're seeing. He's a borderline role player at this point with the way he's been playing. He's a Jamaal Magloire "all-star."

Nice Jamaal Magloire reference. It's kinda like thinking Michael Olowokandi is the #1 pick of a draft :wink:
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,227

Post#43 » by Clemenza » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:12 am

Our core is too old for these back to backs, especially after the grueling game against Minny last night. The blown Laker game was more of choke than this one. These dudes were on fumes tonight. PG missed too many free throws with some bad decision making and Kawhi froze out the hot handed Harden and went 0-4 down the stretch. Lue's small ball didn't work at all. Mann didn't get any play late in the game. I was a big advocate for Coffey but regressed bigtime and not a threat on offense at all. I'm thinking BBJ should get a look soon.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#44 » by esqtvd » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:16 am

b2b on the road against 2 of the top 5 teams in the league?

40-point 4th quarter for the Deer after giving up only 73 after 3?

ran out of gas
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Post#45 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:23 am

Clemenza wrote:Our core is too old for these back to backs

And yet there will still be no accountability for the front office who constructed this ancient team while knowing full well that back-to-backs are part of the NBA schedule. Or the coach who refuses to play younger players.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Clemenza » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:37 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Our core is too old for these back to backs

And yet there will still be no accountability for the front office who constructed this ancient team while knowing full well that back-to-backs are part of the NBA schedule. Or the coach who refuses to play younger players.

That's the thing, Lue's gotta go deeper into the bench on nights like this. You shorten the bench and its a star player affair during the playoffs. I hope this team doesn't become gassed for the post season.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#47 » by esqtvd » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:58 am

Read on Twitter

ADD: yes, 3 games in 4 nights

Read on Twitter
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#48 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:24 am

What a disappointing loss for a wide variety of reasons- Giannis being out, playing terrible D on Lillard, going small for basically no reason allowing Portis to dominate, and of course Beverley hitting the game tying 3. Yes, they were tired- I thought particularly Kawhi looked exhausted and the missed FTs were likely due to fatigue as well, but they should have pulled this game out
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 922

Post#49 » by NickP » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:53 am

PG looked solid, if you only read the score. He gives away a lot on the other end. Sometimes there's a complete lack of BB IQ. This was a winnable game and we were winning it.
But we choked it away. No point in blaming B2B games. We didn't play smart when it mattered.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#50 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:58 am

what is disconcerting is that this was similar to the Laker game in that they weren't running much offense when they game got tight. At least run a screen early in the set to get things going. Seems like lessons weren't learned.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#51 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:32 am

NickP wrote:PG looked solid, if you only read the score. He gives away a lot on the other end. Sometimes there's a complete lack of BB IQ. This was a winnable game and we were winning it.
But we choked it away. No point in blaming B2B games. We didn't play smart when it mattered.

This. Championship teams knows how to handle this situations when they are up. They play smart and got W. We aren't.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,280

Post#52 » by Scoundreldays » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:56 am

NickP wrote:PG looked solid, if you only read the score. He gives away a lot on the other end. Sometimes there's a complete lack of BB IQ. This was a winnable game and we were winning it.

That defense he put on Pat Bev's game tying 3 (Atleast I think it was that play) was such low effort. Frustrating how he let's little Pat Bev do that to him.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#53 » by esqtvd » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:40 am

Scoundreldays wrote:

That defense he put on Pat Bev's game tying 3 (Atleast I think it was that play) was such low effort. Frustrating how he let's little Pat Bev do that to him.

Bev is shooting 32% from 3. You want him to take it.

And of course the b2b was a factor. 3 games in 5 days too. And PG playing despite a lingering injury. Yes, it was winnable, but also not a must-win. We beat the Wolves, which counts double because they're in our conference.

We won the right one. On to Houston.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#54 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:50 pm

Sad that Doc out coached Lue in that game. Frazzled the Clippers with the zone
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#55 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:15 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Sad that Doc out coached Lue in that game. Frazzled the Clippers with the zone

I have only seen a few games where Lue outcoached his opponent. Mostly he has just won with superior talent. Has he ever coached without a superstar? no. The man has been been gifted unbelievable rosters. I do not want to resign him in the offseason. He should have been fired last year or not brought back this year.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#56 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:26 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Sad that Doc out coached Lue in that game. Frazzled the Clippers with the zone

I have only seen a few games where Lue outcoached his opponent. Mostly he has just won with superior talent. Has he ever coached without a superstar? no. The man has been been gifted unbelievable rosters. I do not want to resign him in the offseason. He should have been fired last year or not brought back this year.

his adjustments (not playing Zubac, Beverley, and Rondo) played a big role in them beating Dallas in 2021. I doubt Doc would have made such adjustments
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Clemenza » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:02 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:

The more athletic Moussa and/Kobe Brown could've bodied up Portis better for a nice 6-10 minute stretch. BBJ could've given PG or Kawhi a few extra minutes of rest so they could be fresher late in the 4th quarter. A few more minutes to Mann and Bones would've worked. The players are there on this team imo. Mike Malone, the Nuggets coach, would've had all these guys in the mix. That's the hidden gem and one of the reasons they're so successful these days. He plays pretty much the entire team. This 8-9 man star reliant rotation Lue has going on is for the playoffs, not the dog days of the regular season. All the player development got shelved and scraped when we got Harden and picked up Theis and this is the net result.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#58 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:48 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:

his adjustments (not playing Zubac, Beverley, and Rondo) played a big role in them beating Dallas in 2021. I doubt Doc would have made such adjustments

I dont want Doc either. He was the worst in the Bubble. He couldnt see that PG was choking and he let PG take us down in the bubble. Doc was famous for the Houston choke also
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#59 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:55 pm

Clemenza wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:

The more athletic Moussa and/Kobe Brown could've bodied up Portis better for a nice 6-10 minute stretch. BBJ could've given PG or Kawhi a few extra minutes of rest so they could be fresher late in the 4th quarter. A few more minutes to Mann and Bones would've worked. The players are there on this team imo. Mike Malone, the Nuggets coach, would've had all these guys in the mix. That's the hidden gem and one of the reasons they're so successful these days. He plays pretty much the entire team. This 8-9 man star reliant rotation Lue has going on is for the playoffs, not the dog days of the regular season. All the player development got shelved and scraped when we got Harden and picked up Theis and this is the net result.

Players have to earn minutes but I also agree that there's also player development to consider. Of the guys you mentioned, Kobe Brown has been the most playable and I think should be getting more minutes. You're taking a short-term hit because these guys are mistake-prone and less dialed in, but the exposure helps.

This season has been tough for that though. It took awhile just to hit our stride with our main guys after the Harden trade and then we had the Grammy trip, and it's hard to argue with the results over that span. Bones is playable too (as he was on the Nuggets), but that was also a difficult situation since we had Russ going to the bench and already seeing his minutes go down a lot.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Post#60 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:10 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:

I will never believe that those were truly Lue's adjustments. Not after what he pulled all last season with Morris. Those were Kenny Atkinson's adjustments. Once he left for the Warriors, playing time started being determined by favoritism and seniority instead of merit again.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers