ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME #64: WOLVES (44-21) @ LAC (41-22)—TUES 3/12 7 PM, TNT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 922

Re: GAME #64: WOLVES (44-21) @ LAC (41-22)—TUES 3/12 7 PM, TNT 

Post#61 » by NickP » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:36 am

Embarrassing. No other word to substitute their effort. Without Kawhi this team is total a$$. I really had hopes of Harden and PG winning us some meaningful games without Kawhi but so far it's been a pipe dream.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Glass Cannon 

Post#62 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:05 am

ERClips wrote:When Kawhi left so did all our defensive intensity. Game was lost after that

I don't think it was defensive intensity; felt more like competitive intensity.

They had a 20-point lead and were rolling until Leonard checked out. His sudden shocking departure reverberated throughout the whole team and their minds ended up going elsewhere. Clearly they were distracted by Leonard's departure that they quit playing and allowed Wolves to take the season series.

There's another pattern I discovered. Remember in the 2021 NBA Playoffs when they were down 2-0 in every single round, and were afraid that going down 3-0 meant an automatic series loss, so Clippers were forced to perform well in Game 3 to avoid humiliation? That's what I got here: they only took the first quarter seriously just so they could silence the hate and naysayers. Getting a 20-point lead in their minds made them believe their point was proven, so they stopped playing. Somebody in that bench has to keep telling the Clippers "It's not over, it's just the beginning, you can still lose this game." Nobody is willing to scream into their ears, get up in their face, or start an argument; they're all too nice, too caring, too considering, afraid of hurting somebody else's feelings. We didn't see any technical fouls, flagrant fouls, or ejections, the latter which could have forced Clippers to finally take their opponents seriously.

This Big 3 Clippers feels like Lob City era with their weakness of wanting to be loved, respected and worshiped like Lakers, but worse. Much worse. So worse that they are the opposite of the Bad Boy Detroit Pistons, a team who Steve Ballmer grew up watching. Where's the fight, the grit, the nastiness, the determination, their ability to be bad and not be scared of having their image tainted? But Clippers instead want to be like the Good Samaritan Spurs. We have an identity crisis here.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#63 » by Ballings7 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:22 am

Another big-time loss on national TV.

Just not good.

Gotta win that Pelicans game.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,202

Post#64 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:09 pm

Lue, Harden and PG's legacy:

Read on Twitter
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,710

Post#65 » by KL2 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Everything's fine 

Post#66 » by Dynamix » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:02 pm

Read on Twitter
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,710

Post#67 » by KL2 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:12 pm

Making them play through nagging injuries seems to be paying off at the right time.

If only we had a bench that was developed and ready to step in for one of these guys. Maybe doesn’t win you a game but buys some rest time for the guys who need it.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by NickP » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:44 pm

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great stellar record.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#69 » by wakelaunch1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:32 pm

I think this team is toast. Kawhi walking out on the team most likely told them he doesnt give a **** about any of this. He doesnt care about his legacy, his teammates. PG is weak and cant lead a team for even a game. Harden cant handle being double teamed anymore. Norm is great but not as good against really good defensive teams. We looked really old with no young guys looking to step up. I see moments where Mann should become a leader and he just doesnt. Coffey was so so but not memorable. Lue/Doc just have done a terrible job developing good young players in the system and all weve done is star hunt.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#70 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:04 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:Lue/Doc just have done a terrible job developing good young players in the system and all weve done is star hunt.

What system? That's part of the problem. We've never had one. It's just isoball with overrated "stars" and their washed-up veteran friends while anyone under 30 can only watch from the bench.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#71 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:45 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:I think this team is toast. Kawhi walking out on the team most likely told them he doesnt give a **** about any of this. He doesnt care about his legacy, his teammates. PG is weak and cant lead a team for even a game. Harden cant handle being double teamed anymore. Norm is great but not as good against really good defensive teams. We looked really old with no young guys looking to step up. I see moments where Mann should become a leader and he just doesnt. Coffey was so so but not memorable. Lue/Doc just have done a terrible job developing good young players in the system and all weve done is star hunt.

Kawhi is the one who actually committed to a contract already (though obviously we don't know the particulars of negotiations with PG.) Our only chance of making any noise in the playoffs is if he is healthy, so TBH if he's not feeling right I'm not sure I want him trying to fight through it (at least until the playoffs.)

It feels like the Harden bump we were riding in December has disappeared (not that I think we'd be better off without the trade, by any means.)
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#72 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:47 pm

yeah the top 6 behind Kawhi all came up ass but the G-leaguers should save us lol

the bottom 5 are on the roster for futures purposes
we have a 10-11 deep roster as it is and not enough minutes for all of them

none of our bottom 5 probably could even make an NBA roster on a contender but they are Ballmer's Plan B

you either try to win every game you can for seeding or you throw developmental minutes at kids
can't have it both ways

we already blow enough 20-point leads without looking for trouble
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#73 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:56 pm

Ballings7 wrote:Another big-time loss on national TV.

Just not good.

The problem remains defense. Harden, Powell and Bizzy are sieves and Mann is not the lockdown guy you needed here.

Read on Twitter
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by NickP » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:07 pm

esqtvd wrote:

Just not good.

The problem remains defense. Harden, Powell and Bizzy are sieves and Mann is not the lockdown guy you needed here.

Read on Twitter

I get the whole G-League argument. But are you trying to hide the fact that Lue is a bad coach?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#75 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:27 pm

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Just not good.

Read on Twitter

I get the whole G-League argument. But are you trying to hide the fact that Lue is a bad coach?

I tend to blame players. There was plenty of garbage heaped on PG and Harden here, and the role players came up soft too. I see no reason to blame the coach. The front office, sure. Mann is not an NBA starter and Coffey shouldn't be getting this many minutes either, but the coach has to make do with what they gave him.

Everybody's getting just about the number of minutes they've earned. The rest is up to them.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional?TeamID=1610612746&dir=A&sort=PLUS_MINUS
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#76 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:39 am

madmaxmedia wrote:It feels like the Harden bump we were riding in December has disappeared (not that I think we'd be better off without the trade, by any means.)

I think we'd be clearly better off without the trade. We'd probably be around the same spot in the standings, but we wouldn't have given away all our remaining draft capital for the decade in order to do it, and we also wouldn't be stuck with PJ Tucker's terrible contract and even worse attitude. Bringing in Harden was another desperation move by Frank that fixed none of the team's flaws and created new ones.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,000

Post#77 » by clipperlover » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:18 am

I would like to invite everyone to come back from the ledge.

Let's puts things into perspective.
1. Last night was only the third time since November where we lost back to back games.
2. None of those back to back losses came with our starting 5 on the court. Last night had our starting 5, but we all know Kawhi left early.
3. Since the All-Star break no team behind us before the break has made up more than 2 losses on us. Minnesota has only increased their distance in the loss column by 1 and OKC by 3 (last night's debacle really hurt more because OKC lost to Indy).

So, outside of the Defending Champion Nuggets, who in the West is going to beat us in a 7 game series?

I put our team up against all of those other teams. No one has their back to the wall right now. No one's season is on the line right now.

Ty Lue, PG, Zubac and Mann were all part of the team that made it to the WCF after Kawhi went down. That team played a brutal playoff schedule, but were still on their way to the Finals until Zu hurt his knee in Game 4. I'll take Ty Lue's adjustments over the course of a playoff series.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#78 » by NickP » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:21 am

clipperlover wrote:I would like to invite everyone to come back from the ledge.

1. Last night was only the third time since November where we lost back to back games.
2. None of those back to back losses came with our starting 5 on the court. Last night had our starting 5, but we all know Kawhi left early.
3. Since the All-Star break no team behind us before the break has made up more than 2 losses on us. Minnesota has only increased their distance in the loss column by 1 and OKC by 3 (last night's debacle really hurt more because OKC lost to Indy).

So, outside of the Defending Champion Nuggets, who in the West is going to beat us in a 7 game series?

I put our team up against all of those other teams. No one has their back to the wall right now. No one's season is on the line right now.

Ty Lue, PG, Zubac and Mann were all part of the team that made it to the WCF after Kawhi went down. That team played a brutal playoff schedule, but were still on their way to the Finals until Zu hurt his knee in Game 4. I'll take Ty Lue's adjustments over the course of a playoff series.

You're right in asking the question that besides the Nuggets who can beat us?
I think the Lakers, OKC and Pelicans have a 51-49 edge to beat us. We've struggled against all of them this season.
Now playoffs are a different animal and I'd take playoff Kawhi after Jokic. However I do not see anything from Harden or PG to give me that confidence. Let's see!
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#79 » by esqtvd » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:28 am

NickP wrote:
clipperlover wrote:I would like to invite everyone to come back from the ledge.

You're right in asking the question that besides the Nuggets who can beat us?
I think the Lakers, OKC and Pelicans have a 51-49 edge to beat us. We've struggled against all of them this season.
Now playoffs are a different animal and I'd take playoff Kawhi after Jokic. However I do not see anything from Harden or PG to give me that confidence. Let's see!

Yes, exactly. We lost the MINN game because Ant-Man stepped up BIGTIME and took the game away with 37/8/4 and a plus+22. Without KAT.

It's all about stepping up. Kawhi can do it but we're not talking Jordan or Kobe or LeBron here. He's more a Magic Johnson type. If the other guys man up, Kawhi takes care of the rest.

What's weird is, everybody wants to be a "team player" now. But that also means nobody is willing to wear it and bear it. I wasn't a huge fan of Kobe Bryant's game but win or lose, he OWNED it.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#80 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:47 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:I think this team is toast. Kawhi walking out on the team most likely told them he doesnt give a **** about any of this. He doesnt care about his legacy, his teammates. PG is weak and cant lead a team for even a game. Harden cant handle being double teamed anymore. Norm is great but not as good against really good defensive teams. We looked really old with no young guys looking to step up. I see moments where Mann should become a leader and he just doesnt. Coffey was so so but not memorable. Lue/Doc just have done a terrible job developing good young players in the system and all weve done is star hunt.

Kawhi is the one who actually committed to a contract already (though obviously we don't know the particulars of negotiations with PG.) Our only chance of making any noise in the playoffs is if he is healthy, so TBH if he's not feeling right I'm not sure I want him trying to fight through it (at least until the playoffs.)

It feels like the Harden bump we were riding in December has disappeared (not that I think we'd be better off without the trade, by any means.)

I meant walked out of the game and didnt come to the bench in street clothes. Unless you are dying, you should come back and support your squad. Thats what leaders do. Nothing that was happening that night was going to change anything. He just looks like a selfish guy by leaving this team. Hes a great player but a terrible leader. Hes our only long term max contract and the player everyone looks to. Thats why I said this team is finished. no leadership including the coach.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers