ImageImageImageImageImage

An early summer 2024 thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,275

Re: An early summer 2024 thread 

Post#21 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:33 am

I don't even get why there's a debate. PG will turn 34 in May. They may not want to give him too many years.

However, he just had a 47.1/41.3/90.7 season in 74 games. Those shooting percentages are well above career averages.

Clippers can't replace him and they obviously gave up a lot of assets for him.

If they can't do a sign and trade, they sign him and can trade him later -- though it won't be easy given his age and the kind of salary he's likely to get. But letting an all-NBA level player just walk without getting anything in return?

What is the point of Ballmer's money?

Why wasn't he extended earlier like KL? Could he get more if he waited until the summer?

Let's say the worst case scenario, the Clippers lose in a very tough matchup in the first round. They're going to let PG walk for nothing?

How does that help the team next season and in the future?

Does tanking the next few seasons even make sense? I thought they were out of draft assets for rest of the decade.

With the big commitment to KL and the new stadium, I can't imagine that they'd let PG walk for nothing.

Clippers don't have many good choices, especially the idea of signing a soon to be 34-year old PG. And definitely past his prime Harden. But PG just had a season almost as good as or as good as his best seasons.

The KL and PG core hasn't lived up to very high expectations. But if they break up the core, when will the Clippers come close to winning over 50 games again? I don't know their young players so maybe one of them will pop into a 21-22 PPG scorer on high efficiency but if they had such a player, he'd have probably been their sixth man.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,780

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:48 am

Yes to everything you say...but it does get dicey if he is demanding 4 full years (or 3 + player option, same difference.)

wco81 wrote:I don't even get why there's a debate. PG will turn 34 in May. They may not want to give him too many years.

However, he just had a 47.1/41.3/90.7 season in 74 games. Those shooting percentages are well above career averages.

Clippers can't replace him and they obviously gave up a lot of assets for him.

If they can't do a sign and trade, they sign him and can trade him later -- though it won't be easy given his age and the kind of salary he's likely to get. But letting an all-NBA level player just walk without getting anything in return?

What is the point of Ballmer's money?

Why wasn't he extended earlier like KL? Could he get more if he waited until the summer?

Let's say the worst case scenario, the Clippers lose in a very tough matchup in the first round. They're going to let PG walk for nothing?

How does that help the team next season and in the future?

Does tanking the next few seasons even make sense? I thought they were out of draft assets for rest of the decade.

With the big commitment to KL and the new stadium, I can't imagine that they'd let PG walk for nothing.

Clippers don't have many good choices, especially the idea of signing a soon to be 34-year old PG. And definitely past his prime Harden. But PG just had a season almost as good as or as good as his best seasons.

The KL and PG core hasn't lived up to very high expectations. But if they break up the core, when will the Clippers come close to winning over 50 games again? I don't know their young players so maybe one of them will pop into a 21-22 PPG scorer on high efficiency but if they had such a player, he'd have probably been their sixth man.
wco81
RealGM

Post#23 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:59 am

So what would be better for the team, 3 years total? Because 2 years is probably not enough.

Let's say he plays at all-star or better level for 2 more seasons and the other 2 seasons he has a steep decline.

At least the Clippers will be competitive the next two seasons, assuming KL doesn't break down again.

If PG walks, Clippers may be barely a play in team the next two seasons.
wco81
RealGM

Post#24 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:56 pm

Well PG and Harden had a game for the ages but unless they can keep putting up such performances, it may not be an easy decision to extend both.

OTOH, looks like Sixers will go hard after PG so Clippers may have to bid so that they don't lose that salary slot for nothing.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,780

Post#25 » by madmaxmedia » Yesterday 11:03 pm

wco81 wrote:So what would be better for the team, 3 years total? Because 2 years is probably not enough.

Let's say he plays at all-star or better level for 2 more seasons and the other 2 seasons he has a steep decline.

At least the Clippers will be competitive the next two seasons, assuming KL doesn't break down again.

If PG walks, Clippers may be barely a play in team the next two seasons.

Yeah 3 years just like Kawhi would be better, this way their contracts are in sync as well. I was actually hoping that the 2 players were sort of in agreement on it, but we'll see what happens.

I agree that 2 years is not enough, PG would leave for free agency if we only offered 2.

I'm not saying we absolutely should not sign him for 4 years though, as you say there are no great options but if we keep him we will be competitive the next 2 years. There is also the question of what James will be looking for, but as you said earlier what else would be the point of Ballmer's money? :lol:
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 733

Post#26 » by Captain Ballmer » Today 7:28 am

wco81 wrote:Well PG and Harden had a game for the ages but unless they can keep putting up such performances, it may not be an easy decision to extend both.

OTOH, looks like Sixers will go hard after PG so Clippers may have to bid so that they don't lose that salary slot for nothing.

If PG dedicated himself to play like Celtics Ray Allen, Klay Tkompson in 2010's or M.Porter Jr now, He would be a positive for 3 year 100 million contract extension for his age 34-35-36. Shoot 12+ 3pt attempt, grab rebounds and make deflections, don't play iso in offense. He plays iso a lot still and it's not his strength anymore. Pull-up or Catch&Shoot, 3 point shot making is his best strength but he don't accept this, get ill advised isos ends up huge miss or turnovers and get frustrated to make stupid fouls on D. His mentality needs to shift from a "two-way superstar" to an "elite shooting wing"

If our GM gave him more than this to appoint him like he's still 1b to Kawhi' 1a, then him&Ballmer still in delusion. Add Philly to that list if they offer him the max.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6

Return to Los Angeles Clippers