ImageImageImageImageImage

An early summer 2024 thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,904

An early summer 2024 thread 

Post#1 » by Sofia » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:41 am

Let’s get this season over and done with. Unless there’s a secret switch they’ve been hiding, this squad is toast.

What should we do?

Send PG out in a S+T to a fringe contender might be a good start…
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 731

Re: An early summer 2024 thread 

Post#2 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:04 am

We need to realize that team is at where 2019 version of OKC was with washed up Melo pairing Russ and Pg13 first, then scoop next SGA and trade our star for him.
Amen Thompson?
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#3 » by Dynamix » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:18 am

It's definitely looking very bleak right now, but out of respect for the fun times that were had earlier in the season, especially after that very rough start, culminating with being the top seed for almost an entire day(!), I'm going to hold off on discussing any future moves until we're actually eliminated, whether from the play-in or playoffs.

A few years ago we tanked to play against Dallas, then found ourselves down 0-2 and 20 on the road. Early in that third game, I remember thinking that was the end of 213 right there, but the team somehow clawed back, then did it again in the second round (probably the best our two stars ever looked together), and if Kawhi didn't get hurt (which at least made way for that epic G6 against Utah), we would've had a real shot in the NBA Finals.

Granted, now we're older, while the West is stronger. I'm not really expecting some incredible turnaround at this point, there isn't a single opponent I'd feel comfortable facing.

All I want is to get to the playoffs fully healthy. If we get swept, blown out in multiple games, maybe choke another 20p 4th quarter or 3-1 series lead, then whatever, just as long as our best players are actually on the floor when it happens. Don't want the last season of this era to be another "what-if".
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Post#4 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:38 pm

The front office needs to be replaced first. Any move Frank makes is bound to be the wrong one.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,233

Post#5 » by Clemenza » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:25 pm

The season isn't over yet even though it's not looking good. Still in 4th place by a thread. This road trip will tell and reveal everything. Imo, overall, our role players have fallen off bigtime along with Harden's scoring.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Post#6 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:46 pm

Dynamix wrote:All I want is to get to the playoffs fully healthy. If we get swept, blown out in multiple games, maybe choke another 20p 4th quarter or 3-1 series lead, then whatever, just as long as our best players are actually on the floor when it happens.

You forgot to mention this: what if it's a 3-0 lead? I know, I know, I know, no team has ever come back from down 3-0 in a playoff series, but like I said a few days ago the Clippers have a history of being in outliers for as long as they've been in the league. Any kind of accomplishment you can think of - first loss in decades after leading 20 points to lose in 20 points, quickest 3-1 collapse after their first in 2015 with 5 years, longest 3rd round drought in North American professional sports history with 50 years - the Clippers are always on the opposite bad end of the spectrum. It would be a cruel way for the Clippers to leave the Staples/Crypto Arena with the distinction of first ever 3-0 collapse in North American professional sports history, ever (a 3-0 comeback finally happened in basketball at the Philippines Basketball Association with San Manuel Beermen in 2016).

Do you want to know why I bring up 3-0 leads so much? So that it doesn't happen. The worst they could do, if they take the 3-0 automatic series win, is taking up the whole series with a nail biter of a Game 7. Clipper's greatest weakness is wanting to be loved, respected and worshiped like Lakers, but they do it in an uncanny way all in the name of drama. They just can't do that.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#7 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:13 pm

Dynamix wrote:It's definitely looking very bleak right now, but out of respect for the fun times that were had earlier in the season, especially after that very rough start, culminating with being the top seed for almost an entire day(!), I'm going to hold off on discussing any future moves until we're actually eliminated, whether from the play-in or playoffs.

A few years ago we tanked to play against Dallas, then found ourselves down 0-2 and 20 on the road. Early in that third game, I remember thinking that was the end of 213 right there, but the team somehow clawed back, then did it again in the second round (probably the best our two stars ever looked together), and if Kawhi didn't get hurt (which at least made way for that epic G6 against Utah), we would've had a real shot in the NBA Finals.

Granted, now we're older, while the West is stronger. I'm not really expecting some incredible turnaround at this point, there isn't a single opponent I'd feel comfortable facing.

All I want is to get to the playoffs fully healthy. If we get swept, blown out in multiple games, maybe choke another 20p 4th quarter or 3-1 series lead, then whatever, just as long as our best players are actually on the floor when it happens. Don't want the last season of this era to be another "what-if".

100% to all of this. It's just somehow an uglier feeling when it ends with a significant injury. Not that any of us consider us favorites in the West or even any individual playoff series we're in. But I just want to see it all play out at full strength, however the outcome.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#8 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:47 pm

I think George will leave for the Sixers this summer, and the Clippers will re-sign Harden. Also, Westbrook will opt into the last year of his deal with the team.

How the team gets better from there I am not sure.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#9 » by Ballings7 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:38 pm

Need a power forward, and potentially a PG replacement. A bit more athleticism, reliability and size on the bench at PF/C/SF.

Harden and Russ' aren't going anywhere, and neither is Kawhi.

Keep Powell, Zubac (past an upgrade on both ends, Zubac will stay).

Even if PG is back - thats still fine, but the depth guys have to get upgraded.

I'd look at trading/letting go any of the rest. Including T-Mann, or he accepts a primary bench role. Too small to play SF or PF long-stretches most night.

T-Mann -- currently, too small to start and play long stretches at SF or PF, and not a consistent enough of a shooter.. in the way that he doesn't take them enough; but really should. If he takes more threes then things change a bit.. but I don't think he should start anymore. Team is too small as is with him there.

Plumlee -- I can see him not coming back, and going somewhere like Miami or Utah.

Coffey -- not opposed to him staying, he is usually pretty solid, has good size; but wouldn't mind someone more athletic with his game.

Bones -- get someone who's more steady and 3/D at PG, as an alternate/3rd to Russ'.

Tucker -- don't bring back, at this point.

Promote two of Boston Jr/K. Brown/Diabate to 2nd string if they have a nice showing in pre-season. I can see one of them going elsewhere at least.

Pascal Siakam would take care of both the PF and secondary scoring, additional ballhandler, and defender voids left by PG. Kawhi and him have a bond.

Kyle Kuzma is another guy similar to Siakam, just not as solid defensively or handler; but just as good a scorer and probably more creative, quicker, explosive and polished there. Kuzma and Harden on the same team in LA would be fun stuff.

3-way deal with Washington, Philly, and LAC. Washington goes younger and rebuilds more, Winger tries to trade Kuzma again but to somewhere Kuzma couldn't refuse this time (turned down trade to Dallas this year).

3-way deal with Indiana, Philly, and LAC. George to Philly, Siakam to LAC with a role-player, and Indiana gets Tobias Harris, another player or two, and a pick or two from Philly (since LAC is basically out of picks). Philly then has a legit big three to go against any top 3 team in the league - Maxey, George, Embiid. This maybe is unlikely past Siakam not staying and telling Indy that, and then Indiana doesn't lose him for nothing, getting Tobias Harris whos a similar build at the hybrid forward spot, and has good talent.

I don't know how plausible things are salary-wise, but seems like they could work out : ) .

Both of them are in the east on non-top-teams.

Harden
New guy/Mann
Kawhi
Siakam
Zubac

Or..

Harden
New guy/Mann
Kawhi
Kuzma
Zubac

With a couple bench changes at PF/C/SF, Russ and Powell still on the bench.

Definitely gotta have a shake up in the main top 5/6 guys, and past that as well. 1-2 guys each in the "ranges" of the rotation.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#10 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:31 pm

Pretty sure we can’t sign and trade George—part of the new CBA. He either resigns or walks in free agency. It’s all up to Philly; if they want PG, they can offer him a max deal. If they don’t or aren’t willing to, we should be looking at resigning him for less, or fewer years, or a little of both. But probably not too much less. For all the grief he gets, Paul George is still a terrific player. He got through the injuries in Feb. and is having another great month.

I just don’t think PG as a player is the problem; it’s that he plays a position where we’ve got our best player, and okay depth behind that. If he was a 6’9, 245 PF that could play some at C, he’d be a lot more valuable to us.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,097

Post#11 » by LamarWho » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 am

Start with a top to bottom house cleaning of the coaching staff, as well as the FO. Until we do that, it doesn't matter who we have on the roster.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#12 » by Ballings7 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 am

TrueLAfan wrote:Pretty sure we can’t sign and trade George—part of the new CBA. He either resigns or walks in free agency. It’s all up to Philly; if they want PG, they can offer him a max deal. If they don’t or aren’t willing to, we should be looking at resigning him for less, or fewer years, or a little of both. But probably not too much less. For all the grief he gets, Paul George is still a terrific player. He got through the injuries in Feb. and is having another great month.

I just don’t think PG as a player is the problem; it’s that he plays a position where we’ve got our best player, and okay depth behind that. If he was a 6’9, 245 PF that could play some at C, he’d be a lot more valuable to us.

Sounds right on the transaction scenario..

I like George a lot, but can definitely see him leaving.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Post#13 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

TrueLAfan wrote:Pretty sure we can’t sign and trade George—part of the new CBA.

They actually can. George's contract is a player option - all he needs to do is take the option, and he can be sent somewhere else. That's what happened with Chris Paul at the end of the 2016-17 season.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#14 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 am

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#15 » by esqtvd » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

Eric Pincus is THE sal cap guru. If he says it, it must be true.

“Many sources around the league think Clippers governor* Steve Ballmer will eventually decide to pay up. The nuance may be in the number of years. A sign-and-trade wouldn’t be legal for the Clippers. Even without George, the Clippers’ payroll is high enough that the team has no real means to replace him if he leaves for the Sixers,” Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report shared.

*Although he owns 100% of the team, Ballmer is the Clippers' "governor." You're not allowed to say "owner" anymore. :lol: :wink:

Newspeak. He's the "governor" although nobody elects him or even appoints him. Sounds like neo-colonialism to me. The patriarchy lives!

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-don-t-you-see-that-the-whole-aim-of-newspeak-is-to-narrow-the-range-of-thought-in-the-george-orwell-40-99-07.jpg
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,957

Post#16 » by ejftw » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

I could be wrong, but I believe we can S&T PG for a TPE (not sure on draft pick, however, can't get a player back).

However, it ends up being pointless to do so as using the TPE would mean the franchise can't be a second apron team, making it difficult to really utilize. I mean, let's say Harden signs a 2/75 and Plumlee a 2/11.5, with 36/6 respectively for year one, BJ gets a 2+1 extension starting at around 4.5, Moussa and Primo take the QO, Russ/PJ pick up their POs.

According to capulator, we would be at a salary of around 175.5M. Second apron is projected to be right around $190M.

That leaves less than $15M from the exception that can be used.

Unless it's an opt in and trade, or they wait the six months/Dec 15, keeping Paul is the best case scenario with this new, absolutely idiotic, CBA.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#17 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:Pretty sure we can’t sign and trade George—part of the new CBA.

They actually can. George's contract is a player option - all he needs to do is take the option, and he can be sent somewhere else. That's what happened with Chris Paul at the end of the 2016-17 season.

I guess the difference here is that most of us are assuming he turns down his option become a FA, at which point we cannot sign-and-trade him. But an opt-in-and-trade would be an alternate scenario, where he could opt-in with an understanding that he would get an extension. But would he be eligible to sign an extension the moment he opts in? If not, that would be a huge risk for him not worth taking.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#18 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

To get to that $49.4 million starting salary, the 76ers would need to initially wait on re-signing Tyrese Maxey (his cap hold as a free agent will be only $13 million) and pare their roster down to just Embiid. Everyone else is either a free agent or non-guaranteed (Paul Reed's $7.7 million salary in 2024-25 becomes guaranteed only if the team advances to the second round of the playoffs this year).

The Sixers could trade their first-round pick for future considerations in June, pushing their cap space to about $16.7 million left to spend after luring George, along with the $8 million room mid-level exception. That could be enough to keep a couple of rotation players like Buddy Hield, Kelly Oubre Jr., De'Anthony Melton or Reed. The rest of the roster would be fleshed out by minimum players and a second-round pick (likely from the Chicago Bulls).

That seems like a crazy scenario to add 1 player, but seems like the sort of NBA2K scheme Morey would do LOL.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#19 » by wakelaunch1 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:46 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Pretty sure we can’t sign and trade George—part of the new CBA. He either resigns or walks in free agency. It’s all up to Philly; if they want PG, they can offer him a max deal. If they don’t or aren’t willing to, we should be looking at resigning him for less, or fewer years, or a little of both. But probably not too much less. For all the grief he gets, Paul George is still a terrific player. He got through the injuries in Feb. and is having another great month.

Thats terrible that we cant sign and trade him.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#20 » by wakelaunch1 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:28 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:The front office needs to be replaced first. Any move Frank makes is bound to be the wrong one.

They need to stop listening to players when it comes to assembling a team. Kawhi is probably the worst talent evaluator to build around him. PG was a terrible fit from the beginning. Having 2 players who make the most money, and play the same way is a not a good fit. Also both are non leaders.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers