GAME #80: SUNS (46-33) @ LAC (51-28) —WED 4/10 7:30 PM

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Role Star For A Day 

Post#21 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:28 am

Read on Twitter

Hyland does much better when it's all about him. He just doesn't do well when he's being relegated to the bench. Me thinks Clippers kept him buried to prevent opposing teams from unlocking him and using him against the Clippers. Just like how Pacers once wanted to get Andrew Bynum just to keep him away from the James-Wade-Bosh Heatles for fear of making their biggest threat stronger.

Clippers need to do the right thing by trading Hyland to a rebuilding team. As long as there are other superstars ahead of him or playing next to him, he will never get the "franchise face" role he most seemingly desires.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,913

Re: GAME #80: SUNS (46-33) @ LAC (51-28) —WED 4/10 7:30 PM 

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:33 am

Clemenza wrote:Three HOF players giving it all they have against our "G League Squad"?? But I thought they sucked?

In 2 minutes 8:06 to 6:03--Bones-Plumlee-Moon-Boston-Kobe went from up 6 to down 4.

Kobe is minus-18 in this game. This is why you can't just "play the kids" in the NBA. You can lose a game in just 2 minutes.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,239

Re: Role Star For A Day 

Post#23 » by Clemenza » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:34 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hyland does much better when it's all about him. He just doesn't do well when he's being relegated to the bench. Me thinks Clippers kept him buried to prevent opposing teams from unlocking him and using him against the Clippers. Just like how Pacers once wanted to get Andrew Bynum just to keep him away from the James-Wade-Bosh Heatles for fear of making their biggest threat stronger.

Clippers need to do the right thing by trading Hyland to a rebuilding team. As long as there are other superstars ahead of him or playing next to him, he will never get the "franchise face" role he most seemingly desires.

You can't knock him for this game as this is the ultimate game for him to try to light it up. He's had some good grounded games with the stars and starters where he played his role well. He can play both chucker for the evening and solid role player off the bench. Even a rebuilding team full of rooks wouldn't have him shoot up this much. We don't have the draft pics anymore. I'm resigning him when the time comes if I'm the front office.
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: Role Star For A Day 

Post#24 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:35 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Probably true of Boston [21 points] too. But these guys are not really in demand.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Clemenza » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:36 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Three HOF players giving it all they have against our "G League Squad"?? But I thought they sucked?

In 2 minutes 8:06 to 6:03--Bones-Plumlee-Moon-Boston-Kobe went from up 6 to down 4.

Kobe is minus-18 in this game. This is why you can't just "play the kids" in the NBA. You can lose a game in just 2 minutes.

The same thing applies to the stars and starters.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,017

Post#26 » by ejftw » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:37 am

The C Squad sticking it to Phoenix for as long as they did was spectacular. Don't care if it ended up a loss, it shows that we have some nice intensity deep on the bench.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#27 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:38 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Now down by 12. Brown is minus-26.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Clemenza » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:40 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

So you're going to focus on Brown to prove a point? What does that even mean? How many games have the starters lost this season? This is a scrimmage.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#29 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:00 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

So you're going to focus on Brown to prove a point? What does that even mean? How many games have the starters lost this season?

Aw, you were trying to score a point on me and in a two-minute span it got destroyed. :wink: G-Leaguers are G-Leaguers for a reason. The "C" team has been squandering leads all year.

Bones [NOT a G-Leaguer] has a career-high game--37/4/9, the only reason we were in it. Boston scores 23 points but he shot 24 times and only made 10 and finishes minus-15. Kobe played 28 minutes and scored 4 lousy points with 2 rebounds and finished minus-30.

In fact, the only one who got out clean was our board's whipping boy PJ Tucker, with 10 points, 5 rebs and a plus+13.

I enjoyed the game. Hope you did. PHX is ass, though. That's the takeaway. 4 FRPs to get Durant plus whatever it cost to get Beal and they're a play-in team with no future. :cry:
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Clemenza » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:12 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

So you're going to focus on Brown to prove a point? What does that even mean? How many games have the starters lost this season?

Aw, you were trying to score a point on me and in a two-minute span it got destroyed. :wink: G-Leaguers are G-Leaguers for a reason. The "C" team has been squandering leads all year.

Bones [NOT a G-Leaguer] has a career-high game--37/4/9, the only reason we were in it. Boston scores 23 points but he shot 24 times and only made 10 and finishes minus-15. Kobe played 28 minutes and scored 4 lousy points with 2 rebounds and finished minus-30.

In fact, the only one who got out clean was our board's whipping boy PJ Tucker, with 10 points, 5 rebs and a plus+13.

I enjoyed the game. Hope you did. PHX is ass, though. That's the takeaway. 4 FRPs to get Durant plus whatever it cost to get Beal and they're a play-in team with no future. :cry:

Just call your shot early. Don't hindsight 20/20 and cherry pick-move the goal posts for a plus minus that took place late in the 4th quarter to expand a narrative. That's too easy to do. I can do that all day on here myself but I don't. And technically BBJ isn't a G Leaguer anymore either and a lot of our starters have gotten away with his same stat-line. But I digress. Good effort and fun game to watch. Lets secure the 4th seed on Friday night.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#31 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:50 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

Aw, you were trying to score a point on me

and in a two-minute span it got destroyed. :wink: G-Leaguers are G-Leaguers for a reason. The "C" team has been squandering leads all year.

In fact, the only one who got out clean was our board's whipping boy PJ Tucker, with 10 points, 5 rebs and a plus+13. Deal with THAT.

Just call your shot early. Don't hindsight 20/20 and cherry pick-move the goal posts for a plus minus that took place late in the 4th quarter to expand a narrative. That's too easy to do. I can do that all day on here myself but I don't. And technically BBJ isn't a G Leaguer anymore either and a lot of our starters have gotten away with his same stat-line. But I digress. Good effort and fun game to watch. Lets secure the 4th seed on Friday night.

Aw, c'mon. Own it, Mr. C. You took your shot when the Clips were up and it went to hell before the ink was dry. :wink:

And I DID call my shot--PHX is ass. And Kobe was like minus-11 before he even broke a sweat. Then it got even more embarrassing.

Kobe played 28 minutes and scored 4 lousy points with 2 rebounds and finished minus-30.

Yo, I don't cheer against my own boyz just to say I toldja so. I'd rather Kobe had done well. Boston came out firing and kept firing. Good for him. But I don't think he's an NBAer and neither does anyone else. Somebody would have made an offer for him.

Remember, the Nuggets dumped Bones on us for 2 SRPs, then scooped up Reggie off the buyout shittpile, who WE dumped. Then won the Larry.

And Reggie has played 1700 MINUTES for the Nugs this year on a near-minimum contract. 22 mpg,10 ppg on 43%/36% shooting.

But I digress. Good effort and fun game to watch. Lets secure the 4th seed on Friday night.

Agreed. Peace.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,005

Post#32 » by clipperlover » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:53 am

ejftw wrote:
clipperlover wrote:Clips sitting key guys tonight is strategic. They need 1 win to lock down home court. However, this game completely impacts the Lakers. Lakers hold the tiebreaker vs the Suns, but not the Kings. Suns lose tonight and Lakers still better chance to move to #8. Suns win tonight keeps Lakers firmly planted in 9. Warriors hold tie breaker over Lakers, so Lakers could be in 10 before their next game. With Suns win tonight, they have more Division wins, so they take Lakers in a multiple team tie.

Yeah I really don't think Clips are doing this to spur the Lakers.

Read on Twitter
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#33 » by clipperlover » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:53 am

esqtvd wrote: Kobe played 28 minutes and scored 4 lousy points with 2 rebounds and finished minus-30.

Brown's +/- gives a false impression of how he played. He showed tonight that he can be someone they can go to in the playoffs if needed. He was moving his feet very well on defense. We aren't going to him for offense. He was playing D on Beal and Durant when he was in the game. He was beat in transition by Booker once and Beal beat him with a back door cut, but he held his own otherwise.

- See who was getting cooked

Can Kobe come into the Mavs series and give PG and Kawhi a break from having to guard Luka? He seemed to play Beal pretty well. He has more of a chance to help us in a series vs the Mavs than Hyland. He is a big body that moves his feet defensively fairly well and spaces the floor well on offense.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,931

Post#34 » by Sofia » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:14 am

lol this is great.

I would hate to have bought a ticket, but love it when teams roll out a “nah **** it” line up
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,764

Post#35 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:20 pm

Great game by our bench, kept it up until the very end against a healthy Phoenix squad who absolutely needs every win they can get.

Bones has not been very good this year, but to be fair it's hard for him in particular to have to rein it in when his minutes are really spotty. I'm glad he got a whole game and shot well, if we finish the job against Utah he should get another one against Houston. He definitely does not have Luke Kennard-itis, which can be an asset if he can learn from the 2 HOF'ers in front of him and round out his game.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#36 » by clipperlover » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:52 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Great game by our bench, kept it up until the very end against a healthy Phoenix squad who absolutely needs every win they can get.

Bones has not been very good this year, but to be fair it's hard for him in particular to have to rein it in when his minutes are really spotty. I'm glad he got a whole game and shot well, if we finish the job against Utah he should get another one against Houston. He definitely does not have Luke Kennard-itis, which can be an asset if he can learn from the 2 HOF'ers in front of him and round out his game.

Bones has been on the bench because that is where he will be for the playoffs. He can get hot and score, but he cannot defend. Watch last night's game and just focus on where he was defensively. When he no longer scored again (about 9 minutes left in the 4th), he was no longer of value on the court. The Suns took over and put the game away. The best we can hope for out of Bones is that he is only a little bit negative between what he scores and what he gives up.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#37 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:03 am

clipperlover wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Great game by our bench, kept it up until the very end against a healthy Phoenix squad who absolutely needs every win they can get.

Bones has been on the bench because that is where he will be for the playoffs. He can get hot and score, but he cannot defend. Watch last night's game and just focus on where he was defensively. When he no longer scored again (about 9 minutes left in the 4th), he was no longer of value on the court. The Suns took over and put the game away. The best we can hope for out of Bones is that he is only a little bit negative between what he scores and what he gives up.

If you think that's bad, Beard has fallen off a cliff since the ASB. :o

clipperlover
Rookie

Post#38 » by clipperlover » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:40 am

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

I don't dispute that, but he gets leeway as a former League MVP. Bones was discarded from the eventual NBA Champs last year because he didn't understand the big picture.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#39 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:28 am

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

I don't dispute that, but he gets leeway as a former League MVP. Bones was discarded from the eventual NBA Champs last year because he didn't understand the big picture.

Agree. Bones is moot for the playoffs, I reckon, since Powell is the Instant Microwave Offense. Bones would be a REAL panic button.

The good +/- news is that not only are PG [despite his slump] and KL are among the team leaders as always, Powell is too and---get this:

SINCE THE ALL-STAR BREAK, THE CLIPPERS TEAM LEADER IN PLUS/MINUS PER 100 POSSESSIONS IS...

Russell Westbrook [plus+8.3]

And after mix-and-match DNP-CDs, Ty has both Theis and Plumlee in the black as well.

But I'm worried about Beard going forward. He's rock bottom in plus/minus and that means he partially responsible for Coffey, Mann, and Zubac's NEGATIVE plus/minus too, since they get minutes with PG, KL, Westbrook and Powell, who are all above water.

Plus/minus isn't everything but it's the only one that includes defense, and a sample size of some two dozen games is a pretty good tool. When you're DEAD LAST on the team, there's nobody else to point fingers at. The problem is probably you.

Beard since the ASB: 38.7% FG, 30.7% 3-pt, team-worst minus-4.4 PER 100 possessions.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional?PerMode=Per100Possessions&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star&TeamID=1610612746&dir=A&sort=PLUS_MINUS

The scoreboard doesn't lie.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers