ImageImageImage

Bucs fire Lovie Smith...

Moderator: craig01

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Bucs fire Lovie Smith... 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 7, 2016 10:44 am

I'm not surprised, he won less games than Schiano and Morris, but has more NFL experience than those two combined. I would have given him one more year though, we will now be on our 4th HC since firing Gruden.

I'll be pissed if they hire Chip Kelly or Mike Shanahan. I would promote OC Kotter to HC, need to keep him around to continue to develop Jameis.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Re: Bucs fire Lovie Smith... 

Post#2 » by denterprise » Thu Jan 7, 2016 1:01 pm

Actually I am surprised because he took over a team that was a mess and improved upon that. Something behind the scene must have taken place we don't know about. If they had plans to fire him it should have happened Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday not Wednesday night. The past two drafts the team built up the offense and this coming season he would have had an opportunity to build up the defense which is his strength. I know they had too many penalties this season but Smith should have been given another season. It is hard to win with bad or inexperienced players.

Bad organizations have high turnovers with coaches and GM's. The best organizations have stability and understand you have to grow in a system from one season to the next. This move now makes the organization look bad to their players and others around the league. They better strike gold with the next coach or this could set the team back.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 7, 2016 9:38 pm

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/koetter-leading-candidate-to-become-bucs-next-head-coach/

Good read. I agree Kotter should be promoted to HC. Must keep him with Jameis. The Bucs finally have their franchise QB after 40 years, don't F this up. I also believe Kotter deserves a HC opportunity. He's well liked by players and tries to keep it fun.
MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#4 » by MMFla » Fri Jan 8, 2016 2:25 am

Kind of a surprise to me was kinda hoping Licht would follow but maybe he wasn't the reason we signed those garbage ex Bears. Way to many penalties lead the league I believe. Offense was to predictable always ran it on a 1st down and defense couldn't stop slant routes.

After I heard he was fired Koetter was the 1st name that popped into my head. Still need a lot next year like another WR,O-line and some kind of pass rush, it was so annoying seeing the time the other QBs had to throw.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:05 pm

I was kind a of surprised Smith was canned. I was assuming he would get another year.

That being said, the defense was a train wreck at times, and I don't think games were managed all that well.

Koetter is the likely candidate, and time will tell if he gets this job or a job with someone else as a HC.

Instablity at the HC position is very damaging to the team, so whomever the Bucs choose.....this one needs to be the right choice.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#6 » by denterprise » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Who ever the new head coach is he needs to bring in a proven defensive coordinator. After the draft and free agency the new DC will have more talent to work with.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:01 pm

denterprise wrote:Who ever the new head coach is he needs to bring in a proven defensive coordinator. After the draft and free agency the new DC will have more talent to work with.

If Dirk is promoted, he might could call up Mike Nolan for DC. He's currently the LB coach for the Chargers, and he and Koetter worked together with the Falcons.

If Jerry Jones blows up his staff, could go after Rod Marinelli. Maybe Steve Spagnuolo is not retained by new Giants HC, or doesn't get a HC job himself.

Return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers