2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#321 » by gravytrain24 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 7:08 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:I feel like the boys should get another running back in this draft. Morris is a free agent and Smith is decent but why not use a second or try to trade for an additional second to get Michel or some other Zeke type back.

I don't know about Michel... he was fumble prone at Georgia. And if a dude is fumble prone in college, he's usually fumble prone as a pro. That worries me.

Here's a guy the Cowboys had in for a visit... with some bullet points from "The Athletic" worth considering...

Nyheim Hines – RB – NC State

STRENGTHS:

• SCHEME FIT: Hines is a perfect fit in a zone-running scheme. He only works laterally to find his north/south crease and explode through it. Not a dancer in the backfield.
  • SPEED: Fastest RB at the combine. 4.38 speed shows on tape. Will generate explosive plays.
  • CATCH: Was a receiver his first two years at NC State. Can catch out of the backfield or line up as a receiver.
  • EVASIVE: The first tackler in the open field is toast. He's too fast and explosive to be corralled one-on-one in space.
  • PASS PRO: Even at his size he's assignment sound and effective as a pass protector. Can play on third down.
  • STIFF ARM: Surprisingly solid stiff arm for a player his size. He has a good one.
  • SPECIAL TEAMS: As a freshman and sophomore he returned kickoffs. As a junior, he returned punts.

WEAKNESSES:

• SIZE: It's hard to find a workhorse back in the league that's 5'8 and sub-200 pounds. He's going to be part of a committee.
  • CONSISTENCY: Hines had fewer than 200 carries this year and was primarily a receiver the two years before that. Ability to feel run lanes needs to develop as he continues to get reps.
  • FINISH: He has some moments where he doesn't look sure if he wants to go down, go out of bounds etc and absorbs some huge hits. Another thing that will improve with time.

I could see this as a possible 3rd round move... they could use a good change of pace back ala Lance Dunbar.

That would be a good pickup.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Post#322 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 5, 2018 7:53 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:I feel like the boys should get another running back in this draft. Morris is a free agent and Smith is decent but why not use a second or try to trade for an additional second to get Michel or some other Zeke type back.

I'll be perfectly happy if we go DT and LB with our first two picks. I promise as I lay my hand down on the Dallas Cowboy Holy Bible not to bitch if we do that. But then again our coaching staff might make me change my mind 4 games into the season, :wink: I already know what you are gonna say Otis, :wink: :lol:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,996

Post#323 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:14 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

I'll be perfectly happy if we go DT and LB with our first two picks. I promise as I lay my hand down on the Dallas Cowboy Holy Bible not to bitch if we do that. But then again our coaching staff might make me change my mind 4 games into the season, :wink: I already know what you are gonna say Otis, :wink: :lol:

I would be happy with LB/DT with our first two picks as well. And as Mr. B said - if Smith or Edmunds slip, I won't be surprised one bit if Jerry trades up. There appears to be good depth at DT in the 2nd and 3rd round... especially if Payne or Bryan is sitting there at 50.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,358

Post#324 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:26 am

Yea they are going to need another RB. I would look towards using one of those 4th round picks they have though. I would really like to see the top 3 picks go on the defensive side unless it’s for a WR that would help them move on from Dez.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#325 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:39 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

I would be happy with LB/DT with our first two picks as well. And as Mr. B said - if Smith or Edmunds slip, I won't be surprised one bit if Jerry trades up. There appears to be good depth at DT in the 2nd and 3rd round... especially if Payne or Bryan is sitting there at 50.

I heard a scenario today that I could also see happening. If there is a Tackle on the board that the Patriots covet at 19 (like Mike McGlinchey) they might be looking to trade up to draft him. It might be worth it to trade down to 23 if it meant picking up and extra 3rd or 4th.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#326 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:37 am

So it sounds like we have some options. It also sounds like after reading all of what you all said, is that LB is the best pick for us at #1 unless we can get Vea.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#327 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:58 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:So it sounds like we have some options. It also sounds like after reading all of what you all said, is that LB is the best pick for us at #1 unless we can get Vea.

Yea they definitely need LB’s. I think we all would love Vita Vea but no one is betting money they would ever actually take him. I personally would even be ok with Safety Derwin James from Florida St.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#328 » by gravytrain24 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:52 pm

So Jerry finally got Ealy on the roster, solid low risk high reward move.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#329 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Cowboys got their RT

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Some much added depth for the O-line. I like it.

What I really about this signing is Collins moving back to LG where he belongs.

I just read an article last night where Collins has stated he wants to stay at RT.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#330 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Some much added depth for the O-line. I like it.

I just read an article last night where Collins has stated he wants to stay at RT.

Yeah. I don't though. And hopefully the coaching staff doesn't either. They were a better line with him at LG. I realize they had to make the move with Free retiring and Green utterly sucking. But they are a better offensive unit with Collins at LG. Find a serviceable RT and push on.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#331 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Yeah. I don't though. And hopefully the coaching staff doesn't either. They were a better line with him at LG. I realize they had to make the move with Free retiring and Green utterly sucking. But they are a better offensive unit with Collins at LG. Find a serviceable RT and push on.

Yea I prefer him at LG. It there is a chance they draft a guard in the middles rounds. If they can find a good/decent guard I would be ok with Collins staying at RT. I hate when they start moving guys around instead of allowing them to focus on 1 position (see Byron Jones).
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#332 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I must ask you another question I've been wanting to ask you and Mr. B for a few weeks now. You know how I feel about Dez so I'll skip over that part. We know he can't run routes and get separation and all that crap, but how much blame do you put on Garrett and the coaching staff for our offensive woes last season? After going back and assessing things, I can't help but wonder if the coaching staff also did its part in disrupting the offense flow of things by always trying to force the ball to Dez so much. Dak seems to be a QB that prefers to go with the right read and take what the defense gives him and takes his shots based on that. I saw a lack of creativity and I couldn't believe they could not figure out how to use Dez differently. Even a lamen like me can figure out to try him out in the slot and move him around more to take advantage of his physical advantages. Just wondering your thoughts.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#333 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I just read an article last night where Collins has stated he wants to stay at RT.

I must ask you another question I've been wanting to ask you and Mr. B for a few weeks now. You know how I feel about Dez so I'll skip over that part. We know he can't run routes and get separation and all that crap, but how much blame do you put on Garrett and the coaching staff for our offensive woes last season? After going back and assessing things, I can't help but wonder if the coaching staff also did its part in disrupting the offense flow of things by always trying to force the ball to Dez so much. Dak seems to be a QB that prefers to go with the right read and take what the defense gives him and takes his shots based on that. I saw a lack of creativity and I couldn't believe that could not figure out how to you Dez differently. Even a lamen like me can figure out to try him out in the slot and move him around more to take advantage of his physical advantages. Just wondering your thoughts.

Coaching absolutely played a role in the **** storm of a season we had last year. Also even though Dez is ultimately responsible for his own development I also put a huge part of the blame on Red’s shoulders. As long as he is coaching this team and as long as Jerry is running the show we are all in for more of the same crap we see year after year from this team.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#334 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I must ask you another question I've been wanting to ask you and Mr. B for a few weeks now. You know how I feel about Dez so I'll skip over that part. We know he can't run routes and get separation and all that crap, but how much blame do you put on Garrett and the coaching staff for our offensive woes last season? After going back and assessing things, I can't help but wonder if the coaching staff also did its part in disrupting the offense flow of things by always trying to force the ball to Dez so much. Dak seems to be a QB that prefers to go with the right read and take what the defense gives him and takes his shots based on that. I saw a lack of creativity and I couldn't believe that could not figure out how to you Dez differently. Even a lamen like me can figure out to try him out in the slot and move him around more to take advantage of his physical advantages. Just wondering your thoughts.

Coaching absolutely played a role in the **** storm of a season we had last year. Also even though Dez is ultimately responsible for his own development I also put a huge part of the blame on Red’s shoulders. As long as he is coaching this team and as long as Jerry is running the show we are all in for more of the same crap we see year after year from this team.

All we have to do is look at that damn Rams game and that damn Falcons game. And that's just last season... without mentioning all of those 2nd half "adjustments" that led to being dominated late in games. That's coaching - pure and simple.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#335 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

:lol: Do you think its possible we will ever get back to a super bowl despite Jerry? Who used to say that. Oh yea, Pday. I think Otis and I are only familiar with him, sorry.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#336 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I must ask you another question I've been wanting to ask you and Mr. B for a few weeks now. You know how I feel about Dez so I'll skip over that part. We know he can't run routes and get separation and all that crap, but how much blame do you put on Garrett and the coaching staff for our offensive woes last season? After going back and assessing things, I can't help but wonder if the coaching staff also did its part in disrupting the offense flow of things by always trying to force the ball to Dez so much. Dak seems to be a QB that prefers to go with the right read and take what the defense gives him and takes his shots based on that. I saw a lack of creativity and I couldn't believe that could not figure out how to you Dez differently. Even a lamen like me can figure out to try him out in the slot and move him around more to take advantage of his physical advantages. Just wondering your thoughts.

:lol: Do you think its possible we will ever get back to a super bowl despite Jerry? Who used to say that. Oh yea, Pday. I think Otis and I are only familiar with him, sorry.

Sure we can. I like having McClay heading the scouting and personnel... way more than having Larry Lacewell in Jerry's ear. And I still think that had it been Parcells coaching the 2007 team instead of Mr. Fix-It, that playoff game against the Giants would have had a much different result. I honestly believe this is Garrett's last shot at showing he belongs. Another year short of playoff success (minimum - NFC Championship game) and he's gone.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#337 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I must ask you another question I've been wanting to ask you and Mr. B for a few weeks now. You know how I feel about Dez so I'll skip over that part. We know he can't run routes and get separation and all that crap, but how much blame do you put on Garrett and the coaching staff for our offensive woes last season? After going back and assessing things, I can't help but wonder if the coaching staff also did its part in disrupting the offense flow of things by always trying to force the ball to Dez so much. Dak seems to be a QB that prefers to go with the right read and take what the defense gives him and takes his shots based on that. I saw a lack of creativity and I couldn't believe that could not figure out how to you Dez differently. Even a lamen like me can figure out to try him out in the slot and move him around more to take advantage of his physical advantages. Just wondering your thoughts.

I’m going to have to see it to believe it. I do like McClay however Jerry seems to always have a way of screwing with what is working.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#338 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:28 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Sure we can. I like having McClay heading the scouting and personnel... way more than having Larry Lacewell in Jerry's ear. And I still think that had it been Parcells coaching the 2007 team instead of Mr. Fix-It, that playoff game against the Giants would have had a much different result. I honestly believe this is Garrett's last shot at showing he belongs. Another year short of playoff success (minimum - NFC Championship game) and he's gone.

I’m not convinced this will be Red’s last year regardless of what record the team has. He still has 1 more year on his contract after this season. I’m betting they let him finish the contract.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#339 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote: :lol: Do you think its possible we will ever get back to a super bowl despite Jerry? Who used to say that. Oh yea, Pday. I think Otis and I are only familiar with him, sorry.

I’m not convinced this will be Red’s last year regardless of what record the team has. He still has 1 more year on his contract after this season. I’m betting they let him finish the contract.

I don't know... with all the staff changes, there is going to be a different level of heat on Red Ball, Marinelli and Linehan than previous years. I know Jerry doesn't like paying people to just go away but his comments after this season were a bit different than before. Not that it matters. I have a strong sense we are in for a bounce back season. I don't have a tangential reason... just a hunch.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#340 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I don't know... with all the staff changes, there is going to be a different level of heat on Red Ball, Marinelli and Linehan than previous years. I know Jerry doesn't like paying people to just go away but his comments after this season were a bit different than before. Not that it matters. I have a strong sense we are in for a bounce back season. I don't have a tangential reason... just a hunch.

Seems lately I'm on on Otis' side of things when it comes to Garrett. I believe he is on a very hot seat going into this season. If the Cowboys don't make the playoffs, I'll go out on the limb and say he will be fired the following Monday after the season ends. And also like Otis, I have a huge hunch about this season, especially if we get what we need on defense. It was fore told to me 6 years ago that it would be 23 years between super bowls. :wizard:

Return to Dallas Cowboys