State of Cowboys Union?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Re: State of Cowboys Union? 

Post#1221 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Jerry is siding with the anti-Dak gang right now. I should be cursing him while you two applaud him. Flipping roles.

Really though I've always known what the situation is, I am just a more loyal fan and I think it's pointless to curse the situation for eternity. I've seen some Cowboy fans doing the same "damn you Jerry!" schtick for literally decades now. To me that goes against the point of being a fan. Got to have your team's back, I'll support Dak if he's behind center, and if they remove Dak and put someone else in there I'll support whoever that is too.

I’m still sticking with them I’m just calling it like I see it. The fact that I follow them even though I feel the owner is driving this franchise into the ground should make me an even bigger fan.

My problem with them this off season is it seems as if they don’t have a plan for what they’re doing. It seems like they are just flying by the seat of their pants.

I’m at the point where I just want them to have a plan. If they’re going to keep Dak then have plan. Give the man his money and put the best possible team around him. Or if they’re going to move on then have a plan. Do your best to plan for the rebuild and put your team in the best possible position for that. They haven’t done either though.

I think they have a very clear plan. Everything they are doing is plotted around paying off Dak and letting him walk after next season. "Win with less" as Jerry put it.

I don't like the plan, but it's a plan.

Now, if after completely ignoring free agency and letting multiple players walk they give Dak a big contract and move money around before the season starts? Then yeah I'll say they have no plan whatsoever and are clueless.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#1222 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:14 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Jerry is siding with the anti-Dak gang right now. I should be cursing him while you two applaud him. Flipping roles.

Really though I've always known what the situation is, I am just a more loyal fan and I think it's pointless to curse the situation for eternity. I've seen some Cowboy fans doing the same "damn you Jerry!" schtick for literally decades now. To me that goes against the point of being a fan. Got to have your team's back, I'll support Dak if he's behind center, and if they remove Dak and put someone else in there I'll support whoever that is too.

I’m still sticking with them I’m just calling it like I see it. The fact that I follow them even though I feel the owner is driving this franchise into the ground should make me an even bigger fan.

My problem with them this off season is it seems as if they don’t have a plan for what they’re doing. It seems like they are just flying by the seat of their pants.

I’m at the point where I just want them to have a plan. If they’re going to keep Dak then have plan. Give the man his money and put the best possible team around him. Or if they’re going to move on then have a plan. Do your best to plan for the rebuild and put your team in the best possible position for that. They haven’t done either though.

What if next season is a total disaster? Its Super Bowl or bust but we heard that before according to you know who again. Dak, Lamb, Frederick all in their last year of contract with Parsons having his 5th year option coming up. What happens if they all stink up the place again? Not show up in a playoff game if they make it. If Lamb, Parsons and Dak stink up the joint again, why bring any of them back? Unload all of them and start over. Personally after the last time we saw them all, I would hold off this season and not dish out any contracts. Perform and show up in big games or get the hell out of here.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#1223 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:34 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I think they have a very clear plan. Everything they are doing is plotted around paying off Dak and letting him walk after next season. "Win with less" as Jerry put it.

Now, if after completely ignoring free agency and letting multiple players walk they give Dak a big contract and move money around before the season starts? Then yeah I'll say they have no plan whatsoever and are clueless.

It’s definitely a different take on “All In” but I don’t have a problem with it. And yeah - your last point would drive me nuts.

If they are truly going to be a draft and develop team, they have to get the salary structure under control. And I just don’t see giving Dak a big contract & moving money as the solution that accomplishes that end. Figure out who you want to move forward with… pay them… and start replacing the ones that need replacing - and if McCarthy is the guy that helps make that happen then give him a contract and let him & McClay do the heavy listing. If McCarthy isn't that guy - move on.

Regardless - I have extremely low expectations for this season and I’m OK with that… as long as there is a plan for moving forward.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1224 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:48 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I think they have a very clear plan. Everything they are doing is plotted around paying off Dak and letting him walk after next season. "Win with less" as Jerry put it.

It’s definitely a different take on “All In” but I don’t have a problem with it. And yeah - your last point would drive me nuts.

If they are truly going to be a draft and develop team, they have to get the salary structure under control. And I just don’t see giving Dak a big contract & moving money as the solution that accomplishes that end. Figure out who you want to move forward with… pay them… and start replacing the ones that need replacing - and if McCarthy is the guy that helps make that happen then give him a contract and let him & McClay do the heavy listing. If McCarthy isn't that guy - move on.

Regardless - I have extremely low expectations for this season and I’m OK with that… as long as there is a plan for moving forward.

I think they probably view McCarthy and Dak as the same entity. Let both walk at the same time, bring in a new QB and a new coach together at the same time.

If I am right on that I am cool with it except that I'd love to get Belichick in here and he probably won't be available after next season ends.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#1225 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:37 pm

Schefter is saying that if he walks next year, the team will take on $95m in dead money. So, it doesn't make financial sense to just let him walk.

If the plan isn't to keep him around long-term, then why wouldn't they shop him? It's the most logical. He has a no trade clause. But you work with him to get the best return possible. There will be teams that will offer good trade packages.

This is why I think ultimately, they will work out a long-term deal with him. The two sides are playing hard ball at the moment.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1226 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Schefter is saying that if he walks next year, the team will take on $95m in dead money. So, it doesn't make financial sense to just let him walk.

If the plan isn't to keep him around long-term, then why wouldn't they shop him? It's the most logical. He has a no trade clause. But you work with him to get the best return possible. There will be teams that will offer good trade packages.

This is why I think ultimately, they will work out a long-term deal with him. The two sides are playing hard ball at the moment.

Packers moved on from Rodgers, Seattle and Denver moved on from Wilson, we can move on from Dak. Keeping numb nuts will only prolong what eventually will happen. Let him walk if he doesn't waive his no trade clause. Phuck him.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1227 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Schefter is saying that if he walks next year, the team will take on $95m in dead money. So, it doesn't make financial sense to just let him walk.

I don't understand this. If he walks right now it's a $40m dead money hit. So how is it $95m after next season?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1228 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:55 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:

I don't understand this. If he walks right now it's a $40m dead money hit. So how is it $95m after next season?

Not sure. Unless he's just flat out wrong.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1229 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:56 pm

Looks like we will be rebuilding for the next 3 years anyway. Jerry is the greatest Gm in the world.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1230 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:

Schefter is probably correct unfortunately, I just don't understand it.

And assuming it's correct, Dallas is forced to resign Dak. No way in hell we take a $95m hit. And it's no wonder they haven't reached a deal because Dak has all the leverage in the world and can ask for whatever he wants.

This is a case of Dak's agent violently raping the Dallas front office. I mean...good lord
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1231 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:13 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I don't understand this. If he walks right now it's a $40m dead money hit. So how is it $95m after next season?

And assuming it's correct, Dallas is forced to resign Dak. No way in hell we take a $95m hit. And it's no wonder they haven't reached a deal because Dak has all the leverage in the world and can ask for whatever he wants.

This is a case of Dak's agent violently raping the Dallas front office. I mean...good lord

Now you understand why Jerry had no resources to back up his all in promise? We have no money or cap space.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1232 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I don't understand this. If he walks right now it's a $40m dead money hit. So how is it $95m after next season?

Yeah, that's what seems to be where things stand. Both sides are probably far apart in talks.

Dak & his agent are trying to squeeze as much guaranteed money as possible out of the deal. The Cowboys aren't budging.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1233 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:17 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Not sure. Unless he's just flat out wrong.

Yeah, that's what seems to be where things stand. Both sides are probably far apart in talks.

This is turning out a lot worse than I thought. :giveup:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#1234 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:19 pm

Schefter is full of crap. All one has to do is look at Over The Cap

https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#1235 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:21 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I think they have a very clear plan. Everything they are doing is plotted around paying off Dak and letting him walk after next season. "Win with less" as Jerry put it.

If their plan is to let Dak walk (not saying you’re wrong) why sign Hendricks? Letting Dak walk indicates they are tanking.

Or … if they plan to compete with Dak in a “lame duck” season then why not create cap space by resigning Lamb, and converting salary into signing bonus for guys like Diggs, Tank, and Steele? That would have allowed them to keep Tyron and Gilmore at least. If they really want to win they would at least set Dak up for success. Instead they are setting him up to fail.

That why it looks like they have no plan. They expected to take a pay cut and when he didn’t they seem stuck.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1236 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:24 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

What if next season is a total disaster? Its Super Bowl or bust but we heard that before according to you know who again. Dak, Lamb, Frederick all in their last year of contract with Parsons having his 5th year option coming up. What happens if they all stink up the place again? Not show up in a playoff game if they make it. If Lamb, Parsons and Dak stink up the joint again, why bring any of them back? Unload all of them and start over. Personally after the last time we saw them all, I would hold off this season and not dish out any contracts. Perform and show up in big games or get the hell out of here.

If that was the plan why sign Hendricks? Why not trade Lamb and Micah for more picks? If the plan was the tank wouldn’t you want to walk away from a season like that with as many high picks as possible? So based on what they’ve done they do not plan on tanking.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1237 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:25 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

So would I, I just don’t see the plan.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1238 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:26 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I think they probably view McCarthy and Dak as the same entity. Let both walk at the same time, bring in a new QB and a new coach together at the same time.

If I am right on that I am cool with it except that I'd love to get Belichick in here and he probably won't be available after next season ends.

I mentioned this in other threads but if (huge if) they do have a plan to bring in a new HC/QB next season don’t be shocked if that combo is Deion Sanders/Shedeur Sanders.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1239 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 pm

If they could eat his entire contract in 1 dead season it could make sense. Get Dak off the team after this season and then completely off the books after the 2025 season. Get a high pick and enter the draft with a top 5 pick in 2026 and complete control of your cap.

The only reason this wouldn’t make sense to do is if the Jones’ don’t want to tank.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1240 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:34 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I’m looking at Dak’s contract and dead cap numbers on Sportrac and I have no idea where Shefter is getting his numbers from. Even if they added up the dead cap numbers for the 4 void years it doesn’t come close to adding up to $90M. The only way to get to that number is by adding up this seasons actual cap hit and the dead cap number for next season. Maybe that’s what Adam Schefter means?

Return to Dallas Cowboys