Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,466

Re: State of Cowboys Union? 

Post#1201 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:58 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:The best thing to do at this point is blow the whole thing up and start over. With Dak's tiny restructure to free up a whopping 4 mill has now added dead cap money already for the 2025 season. Christ, are we ever going to just get rid of this loser.

So, is Dak getting an extension? He has to, right? If not, Jerry should've taken my advice.

Didn't get all the details. Article in ESPN said Dak's contract was restructured giving the Cowboys 4 mill in salary cap relief. 59 mill down to 55 mill I guess. But the dead cap hit in 2025 is already up to almost 40 mill. The phone rang and I have yet to get back to the story to read the whole thing.

Right. But the timing is odd.

Are there any reports on a possible extension in the works? Or total silence? You would think that if they don't extend him, then the alternative would be to move him. Get a bunch of picks in return vs. just letting him walk for nothing (next year). Right? What am I missing???
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#1202 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:05 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:So, is Dak getting an extension? He has to, right? If not, Jerry should've taken my advice.

Didn't get all the details. Article in ESPN said Dak's contract was restructured giving the Cowboys 4 mill in salary cap relief. 59 mill down to 55 mill I guess. But the dead cap hit in 2025 is already up to almost 40 mill. The phone rang and I have yet to get back to the story to read the whole thing.

Are there any reports on a possible extension in the works? Or total silence? You would think that if they don't extend him, then the alternative would be to move him. Get a bunch of picks in return vs. just letting him walk for nothing (next year). Right? What am I missing???

Can't move him unless Dak waives his no trade clause. He has Jerry and the team by the balls.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,466

Post#1203 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:11 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Didn't get all the details. Article in ESPN said Dak's contract was restructured giving the Cowboys 4 mill in salary cap relief. 59 mill down to 55 mill I guess. But the dead cap hit in 2025 is already up to almost 40 mill. The phone rang and I have yet to get back to the story to read the whole thing.

Can't move him unless Dak waives his no trade clause. He has Jerry and the team by the balls.

I didn't know he had a no trade clause. Well, if they don't move him by the draft, then he'll probably get an extension.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1204 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:14 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Right. But the timing is odd.

I didn't know he had a no trade clause. Well, if they don't move him by the draft, then he'll probably get an extension.

NO EXTENSION. Things are bad enough.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#1205 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:29 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:The best thing to do at this point is blow the whole thing up and start over. With Dak's tiny restructure to free up a whopping 4 mill has now added dead cap money already for the 2025 season. Christ, are we ever going to just get rid of this loser.

So, is Dak getting an extension? He has to, right? If not, Jerry should've taken my advice.

They must be far apart in talks. Unless they're actively shopping him.

They can’t actively shop him because he has a no trade clause in his contract. I believe Dak is looking for 3 year deal in the $70M-$75M per year range. The Jones’ obviously do not want to pay that. Dak wants to be able to hit the market again while he’s still in his prime.

If they do not get a deal done before the start of the season it’s like he plays out his final year in Dallas and will become an UFA. Not all Cowboys fans want Dak back though so that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#1206 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

They can’t actively shop him because he has a no trade clause in his contract. I believe Dak is looking for 3 year deal in the $70M-$75M per year range. The Jones’ obviously do not want to pay that. Dak wants to be able to hit the market again while he’s still in his prime.

If they do not get a deal done before the start of the season it’s like he plays out his final year in Dallas and will become an UFA. Not all Cowboys fans want Dak back though so that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Where are you getting those numbers from? First time I’ve seen anything at that level.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1207 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:33 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

They did not add more void years to his contract. 2024 and 2025 were always void years on his contract. His cap hit should increase in 2024 to $40M because of the $5M they converted into a signing bonus. I don’t believe they have pushed any of his money to 2025 though. So if he walks he will be completely off the books after 2024.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1208 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:35 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:So, is Dak getting an extension? He has to, right? If not, Jerry should've taken my advice.

They did not add more void years to his contract. 2024 and 2025 were always void years on his contract. His cap hit should increase in 2024 to $40M because of the $5M they converted into a signing bonus. I don’t believe they have pushed any of his money to 2025 though. So if he walks he will be completely off the books after 2024.

Amen. Hope you are right on this one.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1209 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:35 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Where are you getting those numbers from? First time I’ve seen anything at that level.

It was $60M-$65M prior to the new cap numbers. I read that he was asking for more since the cap increased so significantly. He’s always wanted a 3 year deal though. He wants to hit the open market again while he’s technically still in his prime. That was why they have gave a 5 year deal with the final 2 years voided in his last contract. That’s likely what he gets again from whoever gives him a deal.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1210 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:07 am

Gotcha… thought someone was actually reporting that.

Because no one is getting $65M a year for another few years - much less $75M. And I haven’t seen $65M anywhere. Even Mike Fisher hasn’t gone there.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1211 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:41 pm

Found this on the ol’ Hoopla… and I couldn’t agree more.

Dak Prescott’s contract itself is a source of contention. Once considered a hefty but necessary expenditure, Prescott’s deal has become a financial albatross due to multiple restructures. His $55.4 million salary cap hit for the 2024 season is a stark reminder of the Cowboys’ precarious financial management.

Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys must navigate a minefield of their own making. The handling of Dak Prescott’s contract is more than a financial blunder; it’s a symbol of a franchise in flux, uncertain of its direction and identity. As the 2024 season approaches, the Cowboys find themselves at a crossroads, with the decisions made today shaping the future of one of the NFL’s most storied franchises.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Post#1212 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:06 pm

Basically this coming season is the one we waste getting out of Daks contract.

Which, depending on who you are, shows discipline. They could easily give him a new contract and continue pushing it back. That's what I was hoping for.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1213 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:54 pm

Apparently Jerry Jones said "The Cowboys need to win with less". :lol:

No defending him on this one.

Also, Jerry isn't looking so great IMO. I mean he has always looked old. Even when he bought the team in the 80s he looked old. But now he looks legit elderly. Like he needs assisted living. I think the stress of the Packers loss put his body over the edge.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1214 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:02 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Basically this coming season is the one we waste getting out of Daks contract.

Which, depending on who you are, shows discipline. They could easily give him a new contract and continue pushing it back. That's what I was hoping for.

I mean can you really blame Jerry? He waited hundreds of millions of dollars paying Romo who never won more than 1 playoff games in any single season. He sees the exact same thing happening with Dak. We can blame the team around Dak or we can blame the HC (they will get their due too) but Dak is the biggest cog in that machine and the fact is he hasn’t got it done. Is he a good QB? Sure he is. Is he good enough? Not based on what he’s shown. Is it fair to the Jones (or the fans) to just continue down the same path and continue to pay Dak hundreds of millions of dollars with no playoff success? Sometimes it’s better to cut bait and move on.

Is the grass greener on the other side (with a new QB)? Maybe, maybe not. We do know that though that Dak with this team and this ownership hasn’t even been close to reaching to ultimate goal. Maybe it’s time to try someone else at QB.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1215 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Apparently Jerry Jones said "The Cowboys need to win with less". :lol:

Also, Jerry isn't looking so great IMO. I mean he has always looked old. Even when he bought the team in the 80s he looked old. But now he looks legit elderly. Like he needs assisted living. I think the stress of the Packers loss put his body over the edge.

I wouldn’t worry about Jerry. Regardless of how he looks he’s likely going to out live everyone on this board. Jerry is a vampire.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1216 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:07 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Apparently Jerry Jones said "The Cowboys need to win with less". :lol:

I wouldn’t worry about Jerry. Regardless of how he looks he’s likely going to out live everyone on this board. Jerry is a vampire.

You think Micah is finally starting to come around on Jerry? I'm dead serious what I posted a few days ago. If it wasn't for Jimmy Johnson, Jerry would have one hell of a horrible looking resume as owner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1217 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

You think Micah is finally starting to come around on Jerry? I'm dead serious what I posted a few days ago. If it wasn't for Jimmy Johnson, Jerry would have one hell of a horrible looking resume as owner of the Dallas Cowboys.

It might take Micah a while to really realize what this team is. He might have to suffer a few more heartaches. If Dak’s career ends in Dallas the way Romo’s did (not with injury but with a thud) I think he will come around. I’m sure we will all still be here bitching and moaning about this team. Lol
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1218 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:50 pm

Jerry is siding with the anti-Dak gang right now. I should be cursing him while you two applaud him. Flipping roles.

Really though I've always known what the situation is, I am just a more loyal fan and I think it's pointless to curse the situation for eternity. I've seen some Cowboy fans doing the same "damn you Jerry!" schtick for literally decades now. To me that goes against the point of being a fan. Got to have your team's back, I'll support Dak if he's behind center, and if they remove Dak and put someone else in there I'll support whoever that is too.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1219 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:49 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Jerry is siding with the anti-Dak gang right now. I should be cursing him while you two applaud him. Flipping roles.

Really though I've always known what the situation is, I am just a more loyal fan and I think it's pointless to curse the situation for eternity. I've seen some Cowboy fans doing the same "damn you Jerry!" schtick for literally decades now. To me that goes against the point of being a fan. Got to have your team's back, I'll support Dak if he's behind center, and if they remove Dak and put someone else in there I'll support whoever that is too.

Hell - I supported Steve Pelluer. Ride or Die.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1220 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:58 am

Micah Prescott wrote:Jerry is siding with the anti-Dak gang right now. I should be cursing him while you two applaud him. Flipping roles.

I’m still sticking with them I’m just calling it like I see it. The fact that I follow them even though I feel the owner is driving this franchise into the ground should make me an even bigger fan.

My problem with them this off season is it seems as if they don’t have a plan for what they’re doing. It seems like they are just flying by the seat of their pants.

I’m at the point where I just want them to have a plan. If they’re going to keep Dak then have plan. Give the man his money and put the best possible team around him. Or if they’re going to move on then have a plan. Do your best to plan for the rebuild and put your team in the best possible position for that. They haven’t done either though.

Return to Dallas Cowboys