Dak thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Re: Dak: 4 years, $160m 

Post#121 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:52 pm

It's impossible to just "extend Daks contract 2 years"

He's going to get a Herbert mega deal. If we don't give him one he'll walk and some other team will make him the highest paid QB.

Drafting a QB and watching him develop woukd waste everything we have now. Our best odds are with Dak.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#122 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:24 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Absolutely

What is even the alternative?

Reality is we aren't going to find anything better than Dak any time soon.

The reality is the Cowboys have previously found 2 QB’s in the middle rounds and in free agency (Dak and Romo). There are alternatives to Dak. There is no reason to handicap the teams salary cap for a guy that has proven (so far) that he can’t get it done in the playoffs. Has Dak looked great in the regular season this year? Yes he has. Is that any different since he’s been here? Nope. Let’s see what he does in this seasons playoffs before breaking the bank and handicapping the team. What exactly is wrong with waiting until this off season?

I'm fine waiting as long as we can afford to do so in Daks contract. But the reality is good QBs don't grow on trees. I think we got super lucky with Dak, he's the best QB in that entire draft. I just highly doubt we can find anything to even equal him.

I think they're is maybe a 5% chance at best that Trey Lance could ever become Dak. And that's being generous

Thing is, we don't want Lance or who ever else we may draft, etc., we don't ever want them to become Dak. We want someone better.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#123 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:44 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:The reality is the Cowboys have previously found 2 QB’s in the middle rounds and in free agency (Dak and Romo). There are alternatives to Dak. There is no reason to handicap the teams salary cap for a guy that has proven (so far) that he can’t get it done in the playoffs. Has Dak looked great in the regular season this year? Yes he has. Is that any different since he’s been here? Nope. Let’s see what he does in this seasons playoffs before breaking the bank and handicapping the team. What exactly is wrong with waiting until this off season?

I'm fine waiting as long as we can afford to do so in Daks contract. But the reality is good QBs don't grow on trees. I think we got super lucky with Dak, he's the best QB in that entire draft. I just highly doubt we can find anything to even equal him.

I think they're is maybe a 5% chance at best that Trey Lance could ever become Dak. And that's being generous

Thing is, we don't want Lance or who ever else we may draft, etc., we don't ever want them to become Dak. We want someone better.

Exactly, that's an absolute pipe dream.

Even if we did draft a QB better than Dak, you're talking about years of development. Defenses don't stay together that long.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#124 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:00 pm

The only QB on the planet that is head and shoulders better than Dak right now is Mahomes.

You can look at Allen, Hurts, Herbert, etc and declare they are better but the difference isn't extreme at all. Your talking marginal.

You want to draft Mahomes and that is a damn fantasy.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#125 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:50 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Absolutely

What is even the alternative?

Reality is we aren't going to find anything better than Dak any time soon.

The reality is the Cowboys have previously found 2 QB’s in the middle rounds and in free agency (Dak and Romo). There are alternatives to Dak. There is no reason to handicap the teams salary cap for a guy that has proven (so far) that he can’t get it done in the playoffs. Has Dak looked great in the regular season this year? Yes he has. Is that any different since he’s been here? Nope. Let’s see what he does in this seasons playoffs before breaking the bank and handicapping the team. What exactly is wrong with waiting until this off season?

Keep adding pieces and drafting QB's. Finish the defense and add a couple O-lineman. We could use a couple stud LB's to elevate this defense even more. Trading Dak to one of the scrub teams in the league for a higher draft pick is not a bad idea either. I can see Dak being the QB of the Bears, Patriots, Titans, Rams, Raiders or Panthers. We can finish this team in ALL areas if we can get rid of Dak's horrible contract and get a good young QB on the cheap for 4 years. Extending Dak's contract another 2 years or so would do nothing but delay us a trip to a Super Bowl.

The Cowboys added two voided years to the end of Dak’s contract (‘25 & ‘26). I believe because of that they can’t trade him or franchise him again. If he isn’t resigned by the end of next season then he walks. He’ll be almost 32 years old at that point. Also by not extending his contract they will have a cap hit of $59.4M. After that he would come completely off the books. Cowboys would get no compensation for him leaving though. He would be free to sign with whoever he wants.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#126 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:52 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:It's impossible to just "extend Daks contract 2 years"

He's going to get a Herbert mega deal. If we don't give him one he'll walk and some other team will make him the highest paid QB.

Drafting a QB and watching him develop woukd waste everything we have now. Our best odds are with Dak.

You can bet that which ever QB has the highest contract in the NFL at the time, that’s where the negotiations for Dak will start. He’s going to be the highest paid player in NFL history if he resigns with the Cowboys. Likely in the $60M per season range.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#127 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:57 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I'm fine waiting as long as we can afford to do so in Daks contract. But the reality is good QBs don't grow on trees. I think we got super lucky with Dak, he's the best QB in that entire draft. I just highly doubt we can find anything to even equal him.

Even if we did draft a QB better than Dak, you're talking about years of development. Defenses don't stay together that long.

QB’s don’t take years to develop now days. Not if you draft a good one. Dak was a 4th round pick and started from day 1. Brock Purdy started from day 1. Burrow started from day 1. Herbert started from day 1. Any new QB would also be coming into the league with a top 3 defense and good enough weapons to succeed.

Personally I think they also need a stud RB and better OL help, as well as a couple LB’s like BJJ said. They are close to having a similar team to what they had in 2016. So any new QB would be coming in under similar circumstances that Dak did in 2016.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#128 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:16 pm

Purdy/Burrow/Allen/Herbert have a combined 0 rings.

You're looking for Mahomes and that just isn't happening. He's the only REAL upgrade to Dak anyway.

Jumping from Dak to Allen or Herbert IMO is a lateral move.

Also for every Allen and Herbert there are probably 5 Zack Wilsons or Daniel Jones. Just landing a QB equal to Dak takes luck.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#129 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:17 pm

Purdy is a system QB anyway. If we could swap McCarthy for the SF system then THAT would be an upgrade.

Although that said, McCarthy's offense is now outperforming SF. So maybe he saw what they did and a light bulb went off over his head.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#130 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:45 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Purdy/Burrow/Allen/Herbert have a combined 0 rings.

You're looking for Mahomes and that just isn't happening. He's the only REAL upgrade to Dak anyway.

Also for every Allen and Herbert there are probably 5 Zack Wilsons or Daniel Jones. Just landing a QB equal to Dak takes luck.

Buddy you are knee deep in the cool aid. Trust me I understand your optimism, I just don’t share it anymore. I still need to see him have playoff success before I believe he can actually do it.

We will revisit this conversation once the season is over.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#131 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:48 pm

Mr B wrote:

Buddy you are knee deep in the cool aid. Trust me I understand your optimism, I just don’t share it anymore. I still need to see him have playoff success before I believe he can actually do it.

Which part was "cool aid"? I never said Dak was a hall of fame QB, I never even said he was going to win a ring.

That post wasn't even optimistic. It's just being real. Upgrading Dak isn't something easily done.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#132 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:25 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Which part was "cool aid"? I never said Dak was a hall of fame QB, I never even said he was going to win a ring.

That post wasn't even optimistic. It's just being real. Upgrading Dak isn't something easily done.

You just seem so sure that Dak is the guy. You seem to be buying what Jerry is selling. We’ve seen this before though. We’ve seen him be great in the regular season before just to fail. Like I said I can understand why you’re optimistic. I’m just not anymore.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#133 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Buddy you are knee deep in the cool aid. Trust me I understand your optimism, I just don’t share it anymore. I still need to see him have playoff success before I believe he can actually do it.

You just seem so sure that Dak is the guy. You seem to be buying what Jerry is selling. We’ve seen this before though. We’ve seen him be great in the regular season before just to fail. Like I said I can understand why you’re optimistic. I’m just not anymore.

I'm sold that he is our best option, I'm not sold that we will win a ring with him. Most likely we lose to SF in the post season again. I'm just 99.9% sure we can't get anyone better in the near term. No rookie QB has ever won a SB for one.

And this has nothing to do with "Jerry selling" anything and everything to do with what I see. That and common sense.

IMO the "cool aid" drinkers are the ones who have been sold by Cowboy haters that Dak sucks.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#134 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=BWs4TZtBIm_I-jyMQ2oNwg&s=19
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#135 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:17 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I'm fine waiting as long as we can afford to do so in Daks contract. But the reality is good QBs don't grow on trees. I think we got super lucky with Dak, he's the best QB in that entire draft. I just highly doubt we can find anything to even equal him.

I would rather get Dak off the books as soon as possible. Don't forget, we still have C.D. Lamb and Parsons to sign long term. I would rather pay them than bring back Dak for $60 mill a year. Screw that.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#136 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:21 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Buddy you are knee deep in the cool aid. Trust me I understand your optimism, I just don’t share it anymore. I still need to see him have playoff success before I believe he can actually do it.

Maybe it takes year 9 before you start getting a return on our investment. :wink: :gossip:
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 556

Post#137 » by linery88 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:07 am

I dont trust Dak anymore to beat a good team singlehandedly,like Aaron Rodgers beat us,and also won a SB with 16 starters out,but maybe McCarthy who coached that team can design plays for Dak that work out,and we can run the ball effectively enough.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#138 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:15 am

Read on Twitter
?t=6GtQNUiEjI0vZgE57SDM6g&s=19

Yes we need to rid ourselves of Dak under the genius logic that because the Cowboys TEAM lost with him in previous years, it is impossible to ever win with him.

Aaron Rodgers only won ONE RING.

ALL THE OTHER YEARS HE LOST.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 556

Post#139 » by linery88 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:35 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=6GtQNUiEjI0vZgE57SDM6g&s=19

Yes we need to rid ourselves of Dak under the genius logic that because the Cowboys TEAM lost with him in previous years, it is impossible to ever win with him.

Aaron Rodgers only won ONE RING.

ALL THE OTHER YEARS HE LOST.

If this post is for me,i never said get rid of Dak.He is the best option we have right now,and i still have faith,as long as the team continues to call plays like they have been lately.What took the Cowboys so long to figure on using play action,and motion to help Dak out.
Rodgers won a SB torching 3 teams on the road in his only appearance,and he has messed us up a few times in Dallas singlehandedly,and we were expected to win.We are a better team than those were now-imo.
I look at SF with Purdy who is very good when his team is healthy,when Deebo..McCaf are in,but without them he struggles.If somehow those 2 players or even 1 can be taken away or limited,they can be beat.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,465

Post#140 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:49 am

My big takeaway: Dak is clearly better than Jalen Hurts.

Micah, it's very much true. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to Dallas Cowboys