ImageImageImageImage

What did we really learn about our Cowboys last night?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,328

What did we really learn about our Cowboys last night? 

Post#1 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:42 pm

I'll chime in shortly with my thoughts. With the Egals throwing everything at us last night including the kitchen sink after losing 3 straight to us, what did we really learn about our team last night? Before I get into all the other details I will admit our coaching staff got out coached and out schemed last night for starters.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Re: What did we really learn about our Cowboys last night? 

Post#2 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:53 pm

Not a whole lot on my end because that game pretty much went exactly how I thought it would with Cooper unable to pass the ball on that elite secondary.

To beat them we are going to have to tailor the game plan away from the edges. Last night Jake Ferguson was our 2nd leading receiver. This is a game where Dak and Schultz could go for 100+ yards and 2 TDs. Our run game was "decent" last night and that is a must.

I think the defense did about as well as we could expect given that the offense always put them in bad situations.

McCarthy made some bad calls, can't have those.

Can't throw INTs. In fact I'd basically just treat Slay like he is Deion and ignore that side of the field.

I'd like to see some tricky worked in. A fleaflicker or something. Something that Philly couldn't have planned for. Need some surprises.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:39 pm

Out side of a couple penalties, I have no issues with our defense. Going forward the defense will be just fine as long as they stay healthy. IMHO the offense and their 3 turnovers really hurt the team and put the defense in horrible spots all night. But I'll tell you what, the defense didn't lay down and played their guts out all night. I still come out of this game still being impressed with our defense. We got out schemed in the first half but I put that mostly on the coaches. And it sure didn't help McCarthy once again decided to go for it in his own end once again and failed.
The offense is what has worried right from the beginning. Gallup is back but doesn't seem to be 100% to me. James Washington, Dak Prescott and Tyrone Smith still out. Those are all starters, so that's big. I don't know what the hell is wrong or going on with Schultz. We need him and the TE's to step up last night where I thought we had an advantage. Is Schultz hiding an injury or something? Something is not right with him. he's been non existent for 3 weeks and running now. Thank you very much to Cooper Rush. We are still playing with house money thanks to your four straight wins. However, like I mentioned going into the game that I was worried Rush wouldn't be able to push the ball downfield and I felt that got exposed. Rush can play well enough and manage a game with the way this team is currently constructed when they play mistake free football. I don't however have confidence in Cooper if we are behind or need a scoring drive to win the game. I'm very much hoping the offense will change a bit and be a lot better with Dak running the show. We can still make the playoffs with this team but I'm not confident this team can win a playoff game by what I saw last night.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#4 » by Mr B » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:06 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Out side of a couple penalties, I have no issues with our defense. Going forward the defense will be just fine as long as they stay healthy. IMHO the offense and their 3 turnovers really hurt the team and put the defense in horrible spots all night. But I'll tell you what, the defense didn't lay down and played their guts out all night. I still come out of this game still being impressed with our defense. We got out schemed in the first half but I put that mostly on the coaches. And it sure didn't help McCarthy once again decided to go for it in his own end once again and failed.
The offense is what has worried right from the beginning. Gallup is back but doesn't seem to be 100% to me. James Washington, Dak Prescott and Tyrone Smith still out. Those are all starters, so that's big. I don't know what the hell is wrong or going on with Schultz. We need him and the TE's to step up last night where I thought we had an advantage. Is Schultz hiding an injury or something? Something is not right with him. he's been non existent for 3 weeks and running now. Thank you very much to Cooper Rush. We are still playing with house money thanks to your four straight wins. However, like I mentioned going into the game that I was worried Rush wouldn't be able to push the ball downfield and I felt that got exposed. Rush can play well enough and manage a game with the way this team is currently constructed when they play mistake free football. I don't however have confidence in Cooper if we are behind or need a scoring drive to win the game. I'm very much hoping the offense will change a bit and be a lot better with Dak running the show. We can still make the playoffs with this team but I'm not confident this team can win a playoff game by what I saw last night.

Schultz isn’t hiding an injury, he’s playing injured. He hurt his knee about 3 weeks ago and has been playing through it. They said it’s the same type of injury that Zeke had last year. He’s going to have to deal with it through the rest of the season.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#5 » by Mr B » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:17 pm

As for the game and what did we learn… well we saw the OL play well again. They had 0 sacks allowed and combined the rushing attack out up 130+ yards and a TD. We learned that they kind of desperately need another receiving threat. We learned that in spite of playing so well recently Cooper Rush is just a backup QB and nothing more. This team needs Dak. If Dak was healthy and played in this game I doubt they get the interceptions which would have allowed them to stick with the running game longer. I think Dak is worth the 10 more points they needed to win this game.

We also learned that this defense is for real. Even though Cooper Rush tried to give the game away the defense pretty much held and allowed the Cowboys to make an attempt at a comeback.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#6 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:23 pm

Mr B wrote:As for the game and what did we learn… well we saw the OL play well again. They had 0 sacks allowed and combined the rushing attack out up 130+ yards and a TD. We learned that they kind of desperately need another receiving threat. We learned that in spite of playing so well recently Cooper Rush is just a backup QB and nothing more. This team needs Dak. If Dak was healthy and played in this game I doubt they get the interceptions which would have allowed them to stick with the running game longer. I think Dak is worth the 10 more points they needed to win this game.

We also learned that this defense is for real. Even though Cooper Rush tried to give the game away the defense pretty much held and allowed the Cowboys to make an attempt at a comeback.

Do you have any word on James Washington? He should be able to give us something in the passing game. And what do we have in back up TE's? I don't think Schultz is gonna hold up all season.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mr B » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:42 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:As for the game and what did we learn… well we saw the OL play well again. They had 0 sacks allowed and combined the rushing attack out up 130+ yards and a TD. We learned that they kind of desperately need another receiving threat. We learned that in spite of playing so well recently Cooper Rush is just a backup QB and nothing more. This team needs Dak. If Dak was healthy and played in this game I doubt they get the interceptions which would have allowed them to stick with the running game longer. I think Dak is worth the 10 more points they needed to win this game.

Do you have any word on James Washington? He should be able to give us something in the passing game. And what do we have in back up TE's? I don't think Schultz is gonna hold up all season.

The backup TE’s are Jake Ferguson, Peyton Hendershot, and Sean McKeon. James Washington will help some but I personally would really like to see them make a trade for a WR or pass catching TE (not sure who).
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#8 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:08 pm

Will Fuller is a speed guy who would be killer from the slot. He would give Dallas a legit deep threat and really open the field.

An elite TE threat would be ideal though yes.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:29 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Will Fuller is a speed guy who would be killer from the slot. He would give Dallas a legit deep threat and really open the field.

An elite TE threat would be ideal though yes.

He drops too many balls and is injury prone.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:31 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

The backup TE’s are Jake Ferguson, Peyton Hendershot, and Sean McKeon. James Washington will help some but I personally would really like to see them make a trade for a WR or pass catching TE (not sure who).

I hope OBJ is not one of the guys on your radar. He is coming off a bad knee injury that usually takes a couple seaons before your back to 100%. although it would create some division drama. He was an Egal killer when he was with the giants and I'm sure he would like to stick it to them as well.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mr B » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:00 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Do you have any word on James Washington? He should be able to give us something in the passing game. And what do we have in back up TE's? I don't think Schultz is gonna hold up all season.

I hope OBJ is not one of the guys on your radar. He is coming off a bad knee injury that usually takes a couple seaons before your back to 100%. although it would create some division drama. He was an Egal killer when he was with the giants and I'm sure he would like to stick it to them as well.

No, the guy I wanted was DJ Moore from Carolina but he just sign d an extension recently and has a dead cap number of $42M this season and over $35M next season so he’s not going anywhere anytime soon.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:07 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:The backup TE’s are Jake Ferguson, Peyton Hendershot, and Sean McKeon. James Washington will help some but I personally would really like to see them make a trade for a WR or pass catching TE (not sure who).

No, the guy I wanted was DJ Moore from Carolina but he just sign d an extension recently and has a dead cap number of $42M this season and over $35M next season so he’s not going anywhere anytime soon.

With the trade deadline coming up next week, do you expect Jerry to go all in as he usually does? Another OL and/or WR in the cards? Looks like we just picked up a DT to help solidify the run game on defense. Another LB maybe?
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#13 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:26 pm

Maybe Jerry can trade a pick to the Browns to get Amari Cooper back smh.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mr B » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:22 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Maybe Jerry can trade a pick to the Browns to get Amari Cooper back smh.

Lol! Not likely. If Zeke’s knee turns out to be worse than expected I would be interested in sending a late round pick to Cleveland for Kareem Hunt.

I do think they trade for a WR, I just have no idea who that would be.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#15 » by Mr B » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:24 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I hope OBJ is not one of the guys on your radar. He is coming off a bad knee injury that usually takes a couple seaons before your back to 100%. although it would create some division drama. He was an Egal killer when he was with the giants and I'm sure he would like to stick it to them as well.

With the trade deadline coming up next week, do you expect Jerry to go all in as he usually does? Another OL and/or WR in the cards? Looks like we just picked up a DT to help solidify the run game on defense. Another LB maybe?

There is 1 LB I would love to see them trade for, Roquan Smith. He wants out of Chicago pretty bad and even though he’s a bit on the small side he’s be a great addition to this defense. He would cost a 1st round pick though.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#16 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:49 pm

I learned last night the same pattern that has been going on the past 4 years is still alive this year. Lets start with our 3 losses this year. Tampa and Tom Brady, Egals and Hurts and now Aaron Rodgers. What common factor surfaces as compared to those of last year and losses from the other years. Dak Prescott Can't out perform and beat the top QB's or the top teams in the League. Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff get schooled and in most cases out coached. Penalty flags fly all over the field and our defense all of a sudden can't stop a nose bleed. This mixed cocktail is not a championship drink. Time for some new ingredients. The whiskey has soured. Now its time for Jerry to step in and make a couple more wheels to fall of the wagon.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mr B » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:20 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I learned last night the same pattern that has been going on the past 4 years is still alive this year. Lets start with our 3 losses this year. Tampa and Tom Brady, Egals and Hurts and now Aaron Rodgers. What common factor surfaces as compared to those of last year and losses from the other years. Dak Prescott Can't out perform and beat the top QB's or the top teams in the League. Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff get schooled and in most cases out coached. Penalty flags fly all over the field and our defense all of a sudden can't stop a nose bleed. This mixed cocktail is not a championship drink. Time for some new ingredients. The whiskey has soured. Now its time for Jerry to step in and make a couple more wheels to fall of the wagon.

I agree that this is not a championship team and that this team is seriously flawed. I don’t blame Dak for this loss though, well not entirely. On both picks he threw the WR’s ran terrible routes (specifically CeeDee Lamb). On the first interception Lamb was supposed to cross in front of the defender instead of behind him. Dak anticipated he was going to cross the DB and threw the ball. When Lamb went behind the DB it resulted in an easy interception for the DB.

On the other interception Schultz should have ran a tighter route. If he had done so he would have cleared the DB that was covering him. To me it looked like a bad play design though because there were 4 WR’s in the same area. That’s a ball Dak should NOT have thrown.

So I wouldn’t put it all in Dak. There’s enough blame to go around, Dak, coaches, WR’s. A total ****.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#18 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:53 am

Also Dak's first INT came immediately after a fumble recovery. Basically just traded turnovers and evened out.

The Vikings are 8-1 with Cousins
The Eagles are 8-1 with Hurts

Neither of those are elite QBs.

Matt Stafford isn't either. In fact I don't think Stafford is top-10.

Flacco was never that great

Peyton Manning was the lowest rated QB in the NFL when he won a ring with Denver. He was awful.

Nick Foles sucks.

Dak is good enough to win a ring.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:54 am

Micah Prescott wrote:Also Dak's first INT came immediately after a fumble recovery. Basically just traded turnovers and evened out.

Peyton Manning was the lowest rated QB in the NFL when he won a ring with Denver. He was awful.

Nick Foles sucks.

I don’t think the coaching is getting enough blame. McCarthy is a very good coach for 95% of the game but he makes some late game decisions that don’t make much sense, like not taking the points in OT. Also I’m still not impressed with Kellen Moore. The best thing that can happen this off season is if he gets a HC gig. He gets away from the run too much and he seems to try 1 gadget play every game that never works. Dan Quinn has been great but he HAS to do something about the run defense if they expect this to be a championship caliber defense.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#20 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:59 am

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Also Dak's first INT came immediately after a fumble recovery. Basically just traded turnovers and evened out.

Nick Foles sucks.

I don’t think the coaching is getting enough blame. McCarthy is a very good coach for 95% of the game but he makes some late game decisions that don’t make much sense, like not taking the points in OT. Also I’m still not impressed with Kellen Moore. The best thing that can happen this off season is if he gets a HC gig. He gets away from the run too much and he seems to try 1 gadget play every game that never works. Dan Quinn has been great but he HAS to do something about the run defense if they expect this to be a championship caliber defense.

Coaching was horrendous vs the Packers. All of them.

Return to Dallas Cowboys