ImageImageImageImage

** Divisional Round - Cowboys vs. 49ers **

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,161

Re: ** Divisional Round - Cowboys vs. 49ers ** 

Post#221 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:44 pm

Dak had plenty of pressure vs Tampa Bay and handled it just fine. That wasn't the issue vs San Fran. The issue is San Fran has the best defense in the NFL and makes every QB look like crap.

We'll see Hurts struggle big time I'm sure of it.

They remove the run completely, and then are able to focus in on the QB's throws.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#222 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:47 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:You still don’t get the point do you. As fans we all lose, THAT’S why they have to find a new QB. Dak just finished year 7, if they were going to win with him they would have done it by now. He’s had elite teams around him and and elite OL’s and still can get it done. What what he’s getting paid he needs to be a difference maker, not n a good way not a bad way. They could have got this performance out of Derek Carr.

The window only last so long. With the defense and the team as a whole that is currently constructed, I would seriously consider trading Dak for Rodgers before the window closes.

The problem is $89M in dead cap. Unfortunately they have Dak for at very least 1 more season but more than likely 2 more seasons. I say draft a guy to start grooming as Dak’s eventual replacement.

I really don't care to be honest. I've been done with dak for 3 years running. We will never go anywhere with him driving the car. Like I said many times this year, he was a 4th round draft choice for a reason. Whether for money or otherwise, bringing him back gives serious cowboy fans more reason to continue to live under the Curse of Jerry. Just don't expect anything better bringing Dak, Elliott and McCarthy back. Nothing will change.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#223 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:48 pm

Mr B wrote:
linery88 wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:What?

Rodgers and Brady did way worse than Dak this season. And they are both a decade older or more

I know It will never happen.I posed the question strictly for discussion purposes because I am so frustrated by this loss.The idea sounds good in theory though.Imagine Rodgers;the guy who beats our brains in with his elite passes coming here.
Either they draft a high pick QB somehow,or Dak has to practice his accuracy...somethings gotta give.
Even when he wasn,t pressured Dak would throw behind open receivers,and I think it happened when Gallup was open on a play.
The answer is to Cooper Dak;meaning have the same gameplan we did when we won with Coop.I cant help wonder how Cooper would have faired in this game,knowing we would have probably played more conservative under him.We should be doing that with Dak all the time now,or at least until his int ,or overall numbers improve.

Dak should have had 5 interceptions in this game. He is the reason they lost.

You got that right. :thumbsup:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#224 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:49 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:We basically have to draft a QB because Cooper is gone. We have no backup.

The problem is we don't have a high pick and finding a stud QB late in the draft is like winning the lottery. For every Brady there are 10 star QBs that went early in rd 1.

We don't have a starting QB either. :falloff:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#225 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:51 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:What Dallas needs to do is push ALL IN next season and sign the biggest FAs available. Say oh well to the salary cap and just go for it all.

I haven't even looked at what FAs there are.

And THEN if that fails, go into rebuild mode and gut the roster.

Wrong. Now is the time to go into rebuild mode. No future in Dak.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#226 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:58 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:What Dallas needs to do is push ALL IN next season and sign the biggest FAs available. Say oh well to the salary cap and just go for it all.

I haven't even looked at what FAs there are.

And THEN if that fails, go into rebuild mode and gut the roster.

Wrong. Now is the time to go into rebuild mode. No future in Dak.

We just made the divisional round. smh

Rebuild = 3-4 years of losing and trying to get up to where we are now
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#227 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:02 pm

CeeDee Lamb = 23 years old
Micah Parsons = 23 years old
Tyler Smith - 21 years old

These are great young pieces to build around who haven't even hit their prime yet.

Dak hasn't hit his prime either, he's 29. QBs today mature in their 30s.

I know that game looked hopeless, but we are knocking on the door. We took a step closer this season. We take another step next season.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#228 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:07 pm

Javon Hargrave is a FA next season. Arguably the best DT in the NFL behind Donald. Something like that could push our defense from being "good" to being "champion status".

That's the kind of move we need to make. Just go all in.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#229 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:13 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:If we can address one of those with a big FA signing and then the rest through the draft...

I think next year will look similar to this year. We'll easily walk into the playoffs but then what? Even if we go 17-0 people won't buy us as legit. It makes it hard to care about the regular season unfortunately. It's like you can watch the entire season by just tuning into 2 games. Oh well, long time from now. In the mean time I guess we'll watch the 49ers win a ring because I do believe that is what will happen. No one can score on that defense, Hurts certainly won't do well. You can't run on them and that leaves the QB helpless. Purdy will be the first rookie QB with a ring.

Playoffs are very realistic even with all the upcoming team changes (gonna be several). Having the 2nd place schedule helps and playing the AFC East & NFC West doesn't hurt. But yeah... expectations will not be optimum. One has to be realistic at this point. Even with the AFC having better teams at the current time, looking past Philly & SF for the next contender in the NFC is a stretch.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,485

Post#230 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:15 pm

Here's a non-Cowboys fan perspective (Rationale take):

1. The roster is good enough to win.

2. I've never been a fan of McCarthy personally. So that's the first move I would make. Jerry has a blind spot for coaching hires. He should move on from McCarthy & aggressively pursue Sean Payton.

3. The difference in the game yesterday were the turnovers. Without them, you likely have a different outcome.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#231 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:20 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Here's a non-Cowboys fan perspective (Rationale take):

2. I've never been a fan of McCarthy personally. So that's the first move I would make. Jerry has a blind spot for coaching hires. He should move on from McCarthy & aggressively pursue Sean Payton.

3. The difference in the game yesterday were the turnovers. Without them, you likely have a different outcome.

Dak played like crap yesterday, not trying to defend him here. But the turnovers were not as costly as they seem. We had one as well on a muffed punt return, so they only had a 1 turnover edge.

The first Dak INT they got a FG. The muffed punt they gave us also netted a FG. Those even out.

The second Dak INT was deep in their territory and they punted.

Again, not trying to defend Dak and without those maybe we do win. Just pointing out that they didn't result in anything that drastic.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#232 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:22 pm

We couldn't run either which doesn't help Dak.

Dak was our leading rusher.

It was a defensive battle that was won by the better defense.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#233 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:25 pm

We also only had 2 receivers.

Lamb and Schultz.

Those are the only places Dak could throw that actually did anything.

We need another WR bad
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,107

Post#234 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:49 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:The window only last so long. With the defense and the team as a whole that is currently constructed, I would seriously consider trading Dak for Rodgers before the window closes.

The problem is $89M in dead cap. Unfortunately they have Dak for at very least 1 more season but more than likely 2 more seasons. I say draft a guy to start grooming as Dak’s eventual replacement.

I really don't care to be honest. I've been done with dak for 3 years running. We will never go anywhere with him driving the car. Like I said many times this year, he was a 4th round draft choice for a reason. Whether for money or otherwise, bringing him back gives serious cowboy fans more reason to continue to live under the Curse of Jerry. Just don't expect anything better bringing Dak, Elliott and McCarthy back. Nothing will change.

You may not care but the Cowboys do. You can’t cut him or trade him and take the $89M dead cap hit. They wouldn’t have the cap space to pay the guys they already have signed much less any of their own free agents or draft picks if they cut or trade Dak. He’s here for at least 1 or 2 more seasons. So expect to see this same story line play out next year and the year after that.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#235 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:51 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:CeeDee Lamb = 23 years old

These are great young pieces to build around who haven't even hit their prime yet.

I know that game looked hopeless, but we are knocking on the door. We took a step closer this season. We take another step next season.

The OL is actually in great shape. Their defense should also be in great shape (depending on what happens with Quinn). That’s why they need to draft Dak’s replacement and start grooming him now. By the time he’s ready the OL and defense should be in their prime years.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#236 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:52 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Javon Hargrave is a FA next season. Arguably the best DT in the NFL behind Donald. Something like that could push our defense from being "good" to being "champion status".

That's the kind of move we need to make. Just go all in.

Will never happen. The Cowboys don’t spend money on other teams high priced free agents.
Mr B
RealGM

** Divisional Round - Cowboys vs. 49ers ** 

Post#237 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:54 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Here's a non-Cowboys fan perspective (Rationale take):

Dak played like crap yesterday, not trying to defend him here. But the turnovers were not as costly as they seem. We had one as well on a muffed punt return, so they only had a 1 turnover edge.

The first Dak INT they got a FG. The muffed punt they gave us also netted a FG. Those even out.

The second Dak INT was deep in their territory and they punted.

Again, not trying to defend Dak and without those maybe we do win. Just pointing out that they didn't result in anything that drastic.

The Niners scored 10 points off Dak’s turnovers right? They lost by 6. That’s the game.

Correction: they scored 3 points off Dak’s turnovers but Dak also missed his on several other throws and should have had 5 picks in this game. The defense only allowed 19 points, that should have been more than good enough to win this game. Between the off target throws and turnovers there’s zero doubt that loss is squarely on Dak’s shoulders.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#238 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:54 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:The problem is $89M in dead cap. Unfortunately they have Dak for at very least 1 more season but more than likely 2 more seasons. I say draft a guy to start grooming as Dak’s eventual replacement.

You may not care but the Cowboys do. You can’t cut him or trade him and take the $89M dead cap hit. They wouldn’t have the cap space to pay the guys they already have signed much less any of their own free agents or draft picks if they cut or trade Dak. He’s here for at least 1 or 2 more seasons. So expect to see this same story line play out next year and the year after that.

If we waited one more year to trade Dak we can save 50 mill on the cap hit and also get a first round draft pick. I understand the cap hit is too big to do it this year but that doesn't mean I have to like it. You know as much as I do its over for Dak and we are not going anywhere with him in the playoffs. I just want to move on from him as soon as possible. And get rid of Elliott as well. What a horrible contract that turned out to be.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#239 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:CeeDee Lamb = 23 years old

The OL is actually in great shape. Their defense should also be in great shape (depending on what happens with Quinn). That’s why they need to draft Dak’s replacement and start grooming him now. By the time he’s ready the OL and defense should be in their prime years.

I actually agree. We have a championship defense right now. 3 more pieces on the defense and we would be dominate. Wouldn't mind another O-lineman and a replacement for Elliot.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#240 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:59 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I really don't care to be honest. I've been done with dak for 3 years running. We will never go anywhere with him driving the car. Like I said many times this year, he was a 4th round draft choice for a reason. Whether for money or otherwise, bringing him back gives serious cowboy fans more reason to continue to live under the Curse of Jerry. Just don't expect anything better bringing Dak, Elliott and McCarthy back. Nothing will change.

If we waited one more year to trade Dak we can save 50 mill on the cap hit and also get a first round draft pick. I understand the cap hit is too big to do it this year but that doesn't mean I have to like it. You know as much as I do its over for Dak and we are not going anywhere with him in the playoffs. I just want to move on from him as soon as possible. And get rid of Elliott as well. What a horrible contract that turned out to be.

Even after next season Dak would still have a $39M dead cap hit. I still think that would be too much. And I don’t see anyone giving the Cowboys a 1st round pick for Dak.

Return to Dallas Cowboys