Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,104

Re: ** Divisional Round - Cowboys vs. 49ers ** 

Post#261 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:50 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:If we waited one more year to trade Dak we can save 50 mill on the cap hit and also get a first round draft pick. I understand the cap hit is too big to do it this year but that doesn't mean I have to like it. You know as much as I do its over for Dak and we are not going anywhere with him in the playoffs. I just want to move on from him as soon as possible. And get rid of Elliott as well. What a horrible contract that turned out to be.

Even after next season Dak would still have a $39M dead cap hit. I still think that would be too much. And I don’t see anyone giving the Cowboys a 1st round pick for Dak.

A lot of chatter from many Cowboy fans wanting to trade Dak for Carr thinking it would be a bargain. I don't know about that.

Can’t happen because of the cap hit. Also that’s not an upgrade. At best it’s a lateral move.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#262 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:50 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Elite defenses hardly ever remain in tact for extended years. That's why we have to push all in now and sign some big free agents.

The idea that we are going to quickly replace Dak with someone better is an absolute pipe dream. Sorry but that just isn't realistic at all. I agree that we should draft one, and start grooming, like we did Cooper. But it is highly unlikely that a late drafted QB will end up as our long term Super Bowl winning future. We have much better odds just going for it now with Dak.

The idea that Stephen Jones is all of a sudden going to spend tons of money in free agency is also a pipe dream.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#263 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:52 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:The only trades I could even see happening are for Russell Wilson, who is 5 years older and makes more money than Dak. Or Kyler Murray who also makes more than Dak.

Those teams probably want out of their QB contracts bad.

The cap hit for all of the teams involved would prevent this trade.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 565

Post#264 » by linery88 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:38 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:A lot of chatter from many Cowboy fans wanting to trade Dak for Carr thinking it would be a bargain. I don't know about that.

Going from Dak to Carr would be an actual downgrade.

The Raiders are moving on from him for a reason.

I still make a play for Rodgers. Screw it.

Rodgers was kinda screwed over by his coaches decision to not go for it against Brady,and since that I think its been a downward spiral for him,especially after losing Adams to LAV.
Imagining him with our receivers feels good for a minute.Wouldn,t mind seeing it but its a longshot at best.
Build on what we already have,and that`s our defense.I would also take Amari back in a second.Him and Dak were $$$
Pipe dreaming at its best. :)
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,161

Post#265 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:38 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Elite defenses hardly ever remain in tact for extended years. That's why we have to push all in now and sign some big free agents.

The idea that we are going to quickly replace Dak with someone better is an absolute pipe dream. Sorry but that just isn't realistic at all. I agree that we should draft one, and start grooming, like we did Cooper. But it is highly unlikely that a late drafted QB will end up as our long term Super Bowl winning future. We have much better odds just going for it now with Dak.

The idea that Stephen Jones is all of a sudden going to spend tons of money in free agency is also a pipe dream.

He just had OBJ in for a visit so he was at least considering the idea. Maybe it is unlikely, but I feel like it is what they SHOULD do.

Having Amari Cooper + elite DT in this game might have been the difference. We were close to winning despite poor play from Dak. And that was what I believe to be the best team in the NFL. I think the 9ers are going to win the Super Bowl. And if they do that means we were VERY close.

Have to just take a chance, put everything in, and go for it. That is what the Rams did last season and it worked. Mortgage the future for a chance because they don't come often in the NFL.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#266 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:38 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

He just had OBJ in for a visit so he was at least considering the idea. Maybe it is unlikely, but I feel like it is what they SHOULD do.

Having Amari Cooper + elite DT in this game might have been the difference. We were close to winning despite poor play from Dak. And that was what I believe to be the best team in the NFL. I think the 9ers are going to win the Super Bowl. And if they do that means we were VERY close.

Have to just take a chance, put everything in, and go for it. That is what the Rams did last season and it worked. Mortgage the future for a chance because they don't come often in the NFL.

He also didn’t sign OBJ. I don’t believe he ever seriously considered it either. He’s over 30 years old, coming off a major injury, and wanted big money. Goes against everything they have been preaching for almost 10 years now. If OBJ was healthy and willing to play for the vet min they absolutely would have signed him but not with all the issues he has.

When it comes to FA’s they might sign I would look at guys like Malik Hooker, T.Y. Hilton, Jason Peters, and Anthony Barr. Guys that were once good but are now at the back end of their career and willing to play for cheap. That or young guys that failed somewhere else and are now just trying to stay in the league (James Washington).

Return to Dallas Cowboys