ImageImageImageImage

Cowboy Regular season Prediction.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Where do we have our Cowboys finishing this year?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:09 pm

1) Win division.
100%
2) Make playoffs as a wild card.
No votes
3) Miss playoffs.
No votes

Total votes: 4

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Re: Cowboy Regular season Prediction. 

Post#41 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Nov 7, 2023 10:19 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I also think the root of most of our struggles lie within the scheme and coaching. You can see that McCarthy made a clear change though after the BYE week. The offense now runs through Dak-Lamb whereas before they tried to establish the team as run-first but it just didn't work. Not only is the line worse but Pollard is no where near what he was pre-injury. He used to be an elite playmaker and now he insta-falls once a defender is even close.

Dak to Lamb is the only thing that works in this offense and it's super hard to defend because we move Lamb all over the place. But we could use another dimension for sure.

Maybe Tolbert will become that dimension. I think we can agree that Gallup ain't it.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#42 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Nov 7, 2023 10:48 pm

Or… maybe Martavis Bryant does.

/s
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#43 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I also think the root of most of our struggles lie within the scheme and coaching. You can see that McCarthy made a clear change though after the BYE week. The offense now runs through Dak-Lamb whereas before they tried to establish the team as run-first but it just didn't work. Not only is the line worse but Pollard is no where near what he was pre-injury. He used to be an elite playmaker and now he insta-falls once a defender is even close.

Dak to Lamb is the only thing that works in this offense and it's super hard to defend because we move Lamb all over the place. But we could use another dimension for sure.

MM is still killing us with his lack of game management skills and his inability to recognize situational football.

You realize Mike McCarthy has already lost his job. He just won't be fired till the season ends. In all 3 losses this year so far we are still seeing the same crap McCarthy was suppose to start cleaning up 3 years ago. Lack of discipline, not being ready to go and prepared, Penalties, and the timing of stupid penalties, clock and time management issues always arise in losses, and to be brutally honest, we SUCK at situational football. No doubt in my mind now, McCarthy will be gone after the season. Now comes the question what do we do about Dak. He will be on trial the rest of the season. And God forbid he loses any of the next 3 or 4 games. The next 4 games are must wins if there is any chance of winning the division and getting by the divisional round of the playoffs.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Post#44 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:45 pm

The fate of McCarthy will be based on how far we go in the post season. If we are a one and done then yeah Im sure he's gone. If we win one game he's a "maybe". If we win two he stays.

Dak's future here is way more complicated though. I think if he continues to play the way he has the last few games he will get a big extension regardless of post season success. We just lost to the Eagles but concensus says that Dak was great and the only reason we even stood a chance. In fact it's refreshing to see so many make judgements on how he actually played rather than the final score.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#45 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=O_cUg8TNGjX_-jIly23RQg&s=19
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:32 pm

Something we’ve been waiting for… from this morning’s DMN…

Mazi in the making

Demarcus Lawrence sees a difference in Mazi Smith.

In April, the Cowboys drafted the former Michigan nose tackle during the first round. Various facets of the rookie’s game required tinkering and development, including a new stance and quickening his get-off timeliness at the snap.

A transition occurred off the field, too.

“He definitely came in a little stiff,” Lawrence. “I feel like he’s loosening up now. He’s getting more in tune with the game plan and communicating with the guys up front. I feel like he’s just coming into the Mazi Smith that we’re all going to know about for the next 10 years.

A reporter asked Lawrence to clarify what he meant by “stiff.”

Lawrence confirmed he was referencing Smith’s calm, quiet temperament.

“It was mostly personality,” Lawrence said. “New environment, new city. You have to learn the game plan, the plays, all of that. It can be overwhelming, especially for a rookie. I feel like he’s got his feet underneath him now. He’s prepared, and now, he’s a little looser.”
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#47 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:13 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Something we’ve been waiting for… from this morning’s DMN…

Mazi in the making

Demarcus Lawrence sees a difference in Mazi Smith.

In April, the Cowboys drafted the former Michigan nose tackle during the first round. Various facets of the rookie’s game required tinkering and development, including a new stance and quickening his get-off timeliness at the snap.

A transition occurred off the field, too.

“He definitely came in a little stiff,” Lawrence. “I feel like he’s loosening up now. He’s getting more in tune with the game plan and communicating with the guys up front. I feel like he’s just coming into the Mazi Smith that we’re all going to know about for the next 10 years.

A reporter asked Lawrence to clarify what he meant by “stiff.”

Lawrence confirmed he was referencing Smith’s calm, quiet temperament.

“It was mostly personality,” Lawrence said. “New environment, new city. You have to learn the game plan, the plays, all of that. It can be overwhelming, especially for a rookie. I feel like he’s got his feet underneath him now. He’s prepared, and now, he’s a little looser.”

This is nice to read but "learn the game plan"? Maybe I'm wrong but I imagined Mazi's position to possibly be the least in depth game plan on the field. His role is to stop the run, there aren't many different way to use him.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:08 am

Micah Prescott wrote:This is nice to read but "learn the game plan"? Maybe I'm wrong but I imagined Mazi's position to possibly be the least in depth game plan on the field. His role is to stop the run, there aren't many different way to use him.

I’ve read enough over the years to understand that there is a lot more to DT than I used to think there was. Not gonna pretend I understand the nuances so I won’t opine. Bottom line is he made a few plays this evening including a sack and contributed to one as well. Plenty for him & the coaching staff to build on.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#49 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:32 pm

Id take CeeDee Lamb over any WR not named Tyreek Hill. I'd take Lamb over Jefferson or Chase or Brown. I think he's the second best WR in the NFL.

I'm sure most don't share that opinion but the guy is a freak athlete. He's special.

I even think it might actually be a blessing that we have no run game because it will force the play calling around Lamb which is way more aggressive.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#50 » by Fierce1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:45 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Or… maybe Martavis Bryant does.

/s

Yeah, he could be the wildcard.

He would be the Deebo or the AJ Brown of the Cowboys.

The guy is so big for a wide receiver.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:49 pm

Fierce1 wrote:

/s

I’m not going to hold my breath over a guy who hasn’t played an NFL snap in 5 years being a wildcard to anything this team could be capable of doing as the season moves along. Gotta see it first.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#52 » by Fierce1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:10 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:

/s

I’m not going to hold my breath over a guy who hasn’t played an NFL snap in 5 years being a wildcard to anything this team could be capable of doing as the season moves along. Gotta see it first.

Maybe we'll see it sooner than later.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,472

Post#53 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Id take CeeDee Lamb over any WR not named Tyreek Hill. I'd take Lamb over Jefferson or Chase or Brown. I think he's the second best WR in the NFL.

Now that's a hot take.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#54 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:33 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Id take CeeDee Lamb over any WR not named Tyreek Hill. I'd take Lamb over Jefferson or Chase or Brown. I think he's the second best WR in the NFL.

Now that's a hot take.

Well I'm sure from your standpoint and most others it's an eye rolling homer take. But I try to be real with it. I never say Dak is top-5. Always been 8-12 and I think that's reasonable.

CeeDee is an athletic freak, and I think just from a purely athletic standpoint he has the best tools of any WR in Dallas Cowboys history. Dez could rebound on an elite level but he wasn't nearly the route runner that CeeDee is. Irvin on the other WAS an elite route runner but didn't have the athletism of CeeDee.

Owens....maybe. Owens was also a freak.

He isn't the greatest WR in Dallas history simply because his accomplishments aren't even close, but I think the potential is there for him to be a HOFer.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#55 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:13 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Now that's a hot take.

Well I'm sure from your standpoint and most others it's an eye rolling homer take. But I try to be real with it. I never say Dak is top-5. Always been 8-12 and I think that's reasonable.

CeeDee is an athletic freak, and I think just from a purely athletic standpoint he has the best tools of any WR in Dallas Cowboys history. Dez could rebound on an elite level but he wasn't nearly the route runner that CeeDee is. Irvin on the other WAS an elite route runner but didn't have the athletism of CeeDee.

He isn't the greatest WR in Dallas history simply because his accomplishments aren't even close, but I think the potential is there for him to be a HOFer.

For me the #1 WR all time for the Cowboys would be Michael Irvin. I didn’t see Drew play so I can’t say him unfortunately. Owens and then Dez would be next on my list. Maybe one day CeeDee will be there but not yet.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#56 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Now that's a hot take.

For me the #1 WR all time for the Cowboys would be Michael Irvin. I didn’t see Drew play so I can’t say him unfortunately. Owens and then Dez would be next on my list. Maybe one day CeeDee will be there but not yet.

Id have Irvin #1 as well. For Cowboys.

But I mean from a purely athletic standpoint. Throw stats and accomplishments out the window. It's either Lamb or Owens.
Mr B
RealGM

Cowboy Regular season Prediction. 

Post#57 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:41 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Well I'm sure from your standpoint and most others it's an eye rolling homer take. But I try to be real with it. I never say Dak is top-5. Always been 8-12 and I think that's reasonable.

Id have Irvin #1 as well. For Cowboys.

But I mean from a purely athletic standpoint. Throw stats and accomplishments out the window. It's either Lamb or Owens.

You underestimate Dez’s athletic ability. None of the guys we’ve talked about have taken a punt return back for a TD except Dez. He was probably also the best at high pointing the ball, again I never saw Drew Pearson or Tony Hill play.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#58 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:15 am

I love Dez and yeah he's an amazing athlete but he had trouble getting separation. He made up for that by out rebounding others, He's #1 overall when it comes to jumping up and out muscling the DB. But CeeDee gets open, he's just a much more fluid runner than Dez was.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#59 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:45 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Now that's a hot take.

Appears you all never saw Bob Hayes or any highlight film of him. Drew Pearson has the best hands and was the best route runner out of all of them.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#60 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:28 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Well I'm sure from your standpoint and most others it's an eye rolling homer take. But I try to be real with it. I never say Dak is top-5. Always been 8-12 and I think that's reasonable.

Appears you all never saw Bob Hayes or any highlight film of him. Drew Pearson has the best hands and was the best route runner out of all of them.

Bob Hayes, definitely cannot forget him. Was Drew a better route runner than Mike Irvin?

Return to Dallas Cowboys