Re: 2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#241 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:18 am

Who the **** is Royce Freeman?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#242 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:38 am

Mr B wrote:Who the **** is Royce Freeman?

I think he was with the Rams last year. I remember him when he was with the Broncos. He's a scrub. I'm starting to get to a point where the Cowboys are just being comical now. :ouch: :rofl:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#243 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:13 pm

You happen to know how much Dalvin Cook is asking? He's still and free agent and available. Wouldn't mind him on a cheap one year deal.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,053

Post#244 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:04 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

You happen to know how much Dalvin Cook is asking? He's still and free agent and available. Wouldn't mind him on a cheap one year deal.

Dalvin Cook is not even as good as Zeke right now. The Cowboys would be better off going with Rico Dowdle as the sole backup RB to whoever they draft.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,476

Post#245 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Dalvin Cook is not even as good as Zeke right now. The Cowboys would be better off going with Rico Dowdle as the sole backup RB to whoever they draft.

Yeah, Cook did not look the same with the Jets last season. He might be done.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#246 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:42 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Wasn't sure of Cook's status. Saw his name on the free agent list. At the moment, the Cowboy's O-line and RB situation is a total nightmare. The good side of it, if things stay the way they are is that Dak will get beat up this year. Something to look forward to I guess.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#247 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:37 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:You happen to know how much Dalvin Cook is asking? He's still and free agent and available. Wouldn't mind him on a cheap one year deal.

Wasn't sure of Cook's status. Saw his name on the free agent list. At the moment, the Cowboy's O-line and RB situation is a total nightmare. The good side of it, if things stay the way they are is that Dak will get beat up this year. Something to look forward to I guess.

Yea he signed with the Ravens last year and did basically nothing. The Ravens were desperate for a RB too.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#248 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Dalvin Cook is not even as good as Zeke right now. The Cowboys would be better off going with Rico Dowdle as the sole backup RB to whoever they draft.

Yea he signed with the Ravens last year and did basically nothing. The Ravens were desperate for a RB too.

I mean seriously, even if we hit and draft 2 really good O-lineman in the draft, what is the running game going to look like? :thinking: :ouch:
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,159

Post#249 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:52 pm

As weird as it may sound, I almost think it is a plus to not have a running game.

Last season McCarthy started out run heavy, it didn't work. He adjusted after the BYE and we basically just transformed into nothing but Dak-CeeDee throws. Thus CeeDee now holding the best receiving year a Cowboy has ever had.

Dak to CeeDee works. We should just do that every single play. We move CeeDee around so much that it is difficult to plan for without gluing a CB to him and defenses rarely do that now.

The percentages are there for it. Just like the NBA shooting 3 balls all day every day. The NFL is going to figure out that launching bombs all day is most effective. Pass interference is common and even when the ball is picked off on deep passes the result is similar to a punt.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#250 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Wasn't sure of Cook's status. Saw his name on the free agent list. At the moment, the Cowboy's O-line and RB situation is a total nightmare. The good side of it, if things stay the way they are is that Dak will get beat up this year. Something to look forward to I guess.

I mean seriously, even if we hit and draft 2 really good O-lineman in the draft, what is the running game going to look like? :thinking: :ouch:

If (huge if) they can fix the OL with the first couple of picks I think they can find a decent RB in the 5th or 6th round. There are not stud RB’s in this draft but there are some really good ones. Combine that guy with Rico Dowdle and I think the Cowboys will be fine (not great but better than 2023).
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#251 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:As weird as it may sound, I almost think it is a plus to not have a running game.

Last season McCarthy started out run heavy, it didn't work. He adjusted after the BYE and we basically just transformed into nothing but Dak-CeeDee throws. Thus CeeDee now holding the best receiving year a Cowboy has ever had.

Dak to CeeDee works. We should just do that every single play. We move CeeDee around so much that it is difficult to plan for without gluing a CB to him and defenses rarely do that now.

The percentages are there for it. Just like the NBA shooting 3 balls all day every day. The NFL is going to figure out that launching bombs all day is most effective. Pass interference is common and even when the ball is picked off on deep passes the result is similar to a punt.

Sorry to bust your bubble. Not my intention here. But the top coaches and coordinator's in the league will game plan for that. With no threat at all of a running game they can revert more resources to stopping Lamb. As a matter of fact you can count on that. Cowboys will be in 2nd and 3ird and long all season. Dak most likely will be running for his life this year and he won't have enough time in most cases to get the ball to Lamb. Take away Lamb and force Dak and the others beat you will be most team's motto.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#252 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:As weird as it may sound, I almost think it is a plus to not have a running game.

Yea I’m going to have to disagree on that. Having no running game would be the worst thing for this team. They need to take the pressure off Dak and the best way to do that is to have a good running game.

MM switched from a run game to a heavy passing attack out of necessity, not desire. If the Cowboys are able to run the ball effectively it would only make Dak’s job (and CeeDee’s job) much easier.

If I’m the DC going against Dak with zero running game in dropping everyone into coverage, doubling CeeDee and daring Dak to beat me with his arm.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#253 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:21 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Yea he signed with the Ravens last year and did basically nothing. The Ravens were desperate for a RB too.

If (huge if) they can fix the OL with the first couple of picks I think they can find a decent RB in the 5th or 6th round. There are not stud RB’s in this draft but there are some really good ones. Combine that guy with Rico Dowdle and I think the Cowboys will be fine (not great but better than 2023).

Well, lets say your right for the sake of argument. Under that scenario do you see and offense scoring lights out in most game's this year? In your scenario the defense would get totally ignored in the draft and the defense is just as much in need of help as the offense. Without some help, teams could roll up a lot of points on us this year.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#254 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:38 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
If I’m the DC going against Dak with zero running game in dropping everyone into coverage, doubling CeeDee and daring Dak to beat me with his arm.

And Dak will win those , MOST of the time.

That is why we struggled early last season. It was like "WHERE IS CEEDEE!!! THROW THE BALL!!!"

He started doing that, and it resulted in an AllPro season and his best season yet.

Look at what Stafford did with Kupp when they won a ring, that was the entire offense. All they did was throw to Kupp over and over and no one could stop it
Mr B
RealGM

Post#255 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I mean seriously, even if we hit and draft 2 really good O-lineman in the draft, what is the running game going to look like? :thinking: :ouch:

Well, lets say your right for the sake of argument. Under that scenario do you see and offense scoring lights out in most game's this year? In your scenario the defense would get totally ignored in the draft and the defense is just as much in need of help as the offense. Without some help, teams could roll up a lot of points on us this year.

I was speaking hypothetically. Personally I don’t see them finding a quality starting LT AND a quality starting Center. I do think they find a good RB though. Because of the OL though they are going to struggle and Dak is going to get beat up this year.

Also because they won’t be able to find quality starters at LB or DT (and 1st year with Zimmer) the defense is going to struggle. I mean really struggle!

The more I think about it 8-9 wins might be a pipe dream.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#256 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:26 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:

That is why we struggled early last season. It was like "WHERE IS CEEDEE!!! THROW THE BALL!!!"

He started doing that, and it resulted in an AllPro season and his best season yet.

Look at what Stafford did with Kupp when they won a ring, that was the entire offense. All they did was throw to Kupp over and over and no one could stop it

I personally don’t give a crap what Stafford did, he’s in a totally different scenario with a different team and HC. His season has zero baring on what is going on with Dak and Cowboys.

One thing you’re forgetting about last year is they had an extremely good OL. They had All Pros at 3 of the 5 positions. They won’t have that luxury this year. They also had the “threat” of Pollard. Again they won’t have this year. I fully expect a down year for Dak and the offense (well the whole team really).
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#257 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I personally don’t give a crap what Stafford did, he’s in a totally different scenario with a different team and HC. His season has zero baring on what is going on with Dak and Cowboys.

One thing you’re forgetting about last year is they had an extremely good OL. They had All Pros at 3 of the 5 positions. They won’t have that luxury this year. They also had the “threat” of Pollard. Again they won’t have this year. I fully expect a down year for Dak and the offense (well the whole team really).

Our o-line should mirror the previous season where Tyron Smith was out and Tyler played LT. It wasn't *that bad* of a line.

I also expect a down year and don't get me wrong, if Henry joined the team I'd be happy. But I do think that this is a passing league and I do think that CeeDee is far and away our biggest threat. I also think that (similar to the NBA going all 3) deep passing just holds the odds. Most SB winning teams don't feature an elite RB.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#258 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:24 am

All of our other Super Bowls and appearances featured an elite RB. Duane Thomas, Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith.

Return to Dallas Cowboys