ImageImageImageImage

2024 Cowboys Off Season

Moderator: Texas Chuck

linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 566

Re: 2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#41 » by linery88 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:35 pm

With this team,hard to avoid being stressed because of playoff beatings.
They should know what to target in the OS,and get meaner/bigger on defense,and develop a running game.The question is will they.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,341

Post#42 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:45 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:These two are at the top of my wish list for the draft. Jackson Powers-Johnson and T’Vondre Sweat. Image

I have a wish list also. LB'S.

There are a couple of really good LB’s that should go somewhere between mid-1st to mid-2nd rounds. The guy I would love for them to get is Jeremiah Trotter Jr. he will likely be gone though before pick 24. The other two LB’s I really like are Edgerrin Cooper (Texas A&M), and Junior Colson (Michigan). These two guys will go in the 2nd round.

In a perfect world I would like to see the Cowboys trade down (maybe with Detroit). The Cowboys need to find a way to end up with 4 picks between rounds 1-3. If they can do that and end up with Powers-Johnson, Sweat, Cooper (or Colson), and then a RB in the 3rd. If they can do that, that would fill a lot of their holes.

When you get a chance would you please post our current contract, salary cap, dead money etc,. Before moving forward I need to know the players we can cut and how much salary we will have moving forward. Bringing Dak back is going to handcuff us. I'm sure we won't have much flexibility moving forward. I need to start somewhere although bring back McCarthy and Dak most likely won't make a difference one way or another.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,161

Post#43 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:31 am

Bland was my favorite part of this season.

That was truly special
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#44 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:58 pm

The definition of unmet expectations.

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#45 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:37 pm

We are in a huge drought for sure, but at least the Bills are reminding me that many teams have it worse. They have ZERO rings.

There are 12 teams in the NFL with no rings.

The Lions and Browns have both been around forever and neither team has even been to the Super Bowl.

Chargers - Vikings - Cardinals - Falcons - Bengals - all are old franchises with no rings.

And newer franchises too, Texans, Jags, Panthers
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,493

Post#46 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:30 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:The definition of unmet expectations.

Honestly, 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

So, basically what I take away from this is that the Cowboys are essentially the Seattle Mariners but with a ton more success. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:43 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:The definition of unmet expectations.

Honestly, 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

So, basically what I take away from this is that the Cowboys are essentially the Seattle Mariners but with a ton more success. :wink:

One might say… :lol:
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,110

Post#48 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:48 am

Here is an interior OL to keep an eye on in the later rounds. Mason McCormick from South Dakota St.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#49 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:36 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I have a wish list also. LB'S.

There are a couple of really good LB’s that should go somewhere between mid-1st to mid-2nd rounds. The guy I would love for them to get is Jeremiah Trotter Jr. he will likely be gone though before pick 24. The other two LB’s I really like are Edgerrin Cooper (Texas A&M), and Junior Colson (Michigan). These two guys will go in the 2nd round.

In a perfect world I would like to see the Cowboys trade down (maybe with Detroit). The Cowboys need to find a way to end up with 4 picks between rounds 1-3. If they can do that and end up with Powers-Johnson, Sweat, Cooper (or Colson), and then a RB in the 3rd. If they can do that, that would fill a lot of their holes.

When you get a chance would you please post our current contract, salary cap, dead money etc,. Before moving forward I need to know the players we can cut and how much salary we will have moving forward. Bringing Dak back is going to handcuff us. I'm sure we won't have much flexibility moving forward. I need to start somewhere although bring back McCarthy and Dak most likely won't make a difference one way or another.

I want to see where we can do some roster and salary trimming.
Mr B
RealGM

2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#50 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:44 pm

Here is the list of Cowboys free agents. Of these guys the only ones I would resign are Gilmore, Tyron, and Pollard (if he signs cheap).

Edit: and I would keep Dante Fowler
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#51 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:13 pm

Mr B wrote:Here is the list of Cowboys free agents. Of these guys the only ones I would resign are Gilmore, Tyron, and Pollard (if he signs cheap).

I thought Gallup was a free agent. Wasn't last he in the final year of his contract?
Mr B
RealGM

2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#52 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:37 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Here is the list of Cowboys free agents. Of these guys the only ones I would resign are Gilmore, Tyron, and Pollard (if he signs cheap).

I thought Gallup was a free agent. Wasn't last he in the final year of his contract?

No they resigned him last year I believe. The can cut him this off season but there is really no savings. His dead cap number is about the same as his cap hit if he’s on the team. Unless they cut him post June 1st. Or they can wait until next off season to cut him.

DLaw and Gallimore is two other potential cuts to save money.

Edit: correction, DLaw would also have a June 1st cut in order to save money. Also Gallimore is already a free agent.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#53 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:39 pm

I just don't know where to start guys. With McCarthy and Dak coming back I just don't care. Still wounded I guess.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#54 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:59 pm

I used to defend the McCarthy signing because there was no one else out there better. I even used to say "It's not like Belichick was available".

Right now Belichick is available.

That kills me...like this might be the most upset at Jerry I have ever been.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#55 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:01 pm

[quote="Micah Prescott"]I used to defend the McCarthy signing because there was no one else out there better. I even used to say "It's not like Belichick was available".

Right now Belichick is available.

That kills me...like this might be the most upset at Jerry I have ever been.[/quote]
I've seen this from Jerry so many times the past 2 decades. Even Otis and Mr. B. have also mentioned it dozens of times. Jerry has finally worn me down to the points were I just don't care anymore. Tough to admit after 54 years.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#56 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:18 pm

Generally speaking I feel like all the hatred thrown Jerry's way over the years has been overblown and mostly unwarranted. He's makes a bad trade here and there and some of his hires have been questionable but the franchise drafts way above average and we are usually in a place to win. The last three seasons prime examples.

But right now we have a system that has been on repeat and arguably the greatest coach ever available for hire. It is an ideal time to make that change that most fans want. Bringing Belichick in here would reignite a fire in everyone, players and fans. He has a perfect window of opportunity to do that, and he passed.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#57 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:27 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Generally speaking I feel like all the hatred thrown Jerry's way over the years has been overblown and mostly unwarranted. He's makes a bad trade here and there and some of his hires have been questionable but the franchise drafts way above average and we are usually in a place to win. The last three seasons prime examples.

But right now we have a system that has been on repeat and arguably the greatest coach ever available for hire. It is an ideal time to make that change that most fans want. Bringing Belichick in here would reignite a fire in everyone, players and fans. He has a perfect window of opportunity to do that, and he passed.

The problem now is we are bringing back Dak. Between Dak, Lamb and Parsons we are about to enter salary cap again. We've been through this before. This is what Jerry does to our franchise when you go all in every year. There is no way we can make the roster better being in this situation. Its why I'm currently beat down about Jerry and the Cowboys. Can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#58 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:31 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Generally speaking I feel like all the hatred thrown Jerry's way over the years has been overblown and mostly unwarranted. He's makes a bad trade here and there and some of his hires have been questionable but the franchise drafts way above average and we are usually in a place to win. The last three seasons prime examples.

The problem now is we are bringing back Dak. Between Dak, Lamb and Parsons we are about to enter salary cap again. We've been through this before. This is what Jerry does to our franchise when you go all in every year. There is no way we can make the roster better being in this situation. Its why I'm currently beat down about Jerry and the Cowboys. Can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think you can get upset about Dak if we give him a huge contract, which may very well happen.

Right now though under his current contract I do not see how they could get out of starting him next season.

To me it is ideal to let his replacement sit a year and watch anyway, I feel like that has generally shown to have good results (see Rodgers and Love) So if we draft a QB and also have Lance sit while Dak finishes out his current contract that works for me.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:56 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I think you can get upset about Dak if we give him a huge contract, which may very well happen.

Right now though under his current contract I do not see how they could get out of starting him next season.

To me it is ideal to let his replacement sit a year and watch anyway, I feel like that has generally shown to have good results (see Rodgers and Love) So if we draft a QB and also have Lance sit while Dak finishes out his current contract that works for me.

Precisely where I fall at this point. If they believe Lance is a viable alternative going forward, then let Dak finish out his deal with Lance getting ready for ’25… and draft his backup. If not - draft a QB a little higher up in the process and let Dak finish out his deal.

I know that’s not what they will do but they’ve done plenty of things in the last 20+ years we’ve not agreed with. It is what it is.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#60 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:12 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I think you can get upset about Dak if we give him a huge contract, which may very well happen.

Precisely where I fall at this point. If they believe Lance is a viable alternative going forward, then let Dak finish out his deal with Lance getting ready for ’25… and draft his backup. If not - draft a QB a little higher up in the process and let Dak finish out his deal.

I know that’s not what they will do but they’ve done plenty of things in the last 20+ years we’ve not agreed with. It is what it is.

I will honestly be floored if they don’t give him an extension. I would be ecstatic if they let him play out his deal but we all know they won’t. He plays great during the regular season which puts buts in seats. He’s going to get his $60M/per season and we will watch him play out his career just like we did with Romo.

The only way I see that they would be willing to move up on from Dak is if they already had someone that showed he can play. Basically the same situation they were in with Dak and Romo. Trey Lance will have to ball out every chance he gets. Same goes for anyone they draft too. Dak is too good during the regular season to just let walk. Unfortunately for us he hasn’t shown he can handle big games and big moments well.

Return to Dallas Cowboys