Moderator: Texas Chuck

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Re: 2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#141 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:57 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The only thing you can logically do is to not buy tickets or merchandise. If the product is poor, people won't renew their season tickets & morale will be low among the fanbase. That's when change typically occurs.

The Cowboys are one of the more successful franchises. By that I mean they win basically 11-12 games a season. So, it probably would take a couple of really poor seasons for a drastic change.

I think that is impossible for the Cowboys, they have the biggest fan base in all of sports. They could go 0-17 and it would do nothing.

I attend like 1 game every other year anyway. Tickets are expensive AF, and that is because the demand is sky high.

Our biggest problem in Seattle was that in the last 5-6 years, Pete Caroll was just good enough to not get fired. The team was competitive but not a serious contender. Which ultimately held the team back.

Basically, I think Dallas' biggest issue at the moment is the team is too good to get anyone fired.

Yep Dallas is an eternal fringe playoff team.

Getting into the post season is rarely an issue. Succeeding in the post season is always the issue.

And yeah, it's hard to fire a 12-5 coach. It's hard to let a QB walk who was 2nd in the MVP votes.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#142 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:01 pm

My original point though, is that there is literally nothing that the Dallas fan base can do. And I think BJJ has that misconception. Like to him if the fans just had the same opinions as BJJ things would change. But nope, nothing would change.

He gets mad at "younger generation fans" as though it's their fault things are the way they are. But that is ridiculous. They didn't do anything.

The thoughts that swirl around in our heads have ZERO effect on any of this.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,470

Post#143 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:16 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I think that is impossible for the Cowboys, they have the biggest fan base in all of sports. They could go 0-17 and it would do nothing.

I attend like 1 game every other year anyway. Tickets are expensive AF, and that is because the demand is sky high.

Our biggest problem in Seattle was that in the last 5-6 years, Pete Caroll was just good enough to not get fired. The team was competitive but not a serious contender. Which ultimately held the team back.

Basically, I think Dallas' biggest issue at the moment is the team is too good to get anyone fired.

Yep Dallas is an eternal fringe playoff team.

Getting into the post season is rarely an issue. Succeeding in the post season is always the issue.

And yeah, it's hard to fire a 12-5 coach. It's hard to let a QB walk who was 2nd in the MVP votes.

They're better than just a fringe playoff team. They have a top 5 roster & win 12 games every year. Coaching is an issue. But we do seem to be on the same page.

A fringe playoff team is winning 9 or 10 games & being a lower seeded team. Which the Hawks have been for the most part the last 7 years under Carroll.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#144 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:47 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Jerry is just trying to sell water to a whale. In this case the whale is Cowboy nation.

The absolute best snake oil salesman that ever lived. He already has the masses buying and drinking his elixir.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#145 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Jerry is just trying to sell water to a whale. In this case the whale is Cowboy nation.

The absolute best snake oil salesman that ever lived. He already has the masses buying and drinking his elixir.

Maybe I just don't see what you guys are seeing but I don't think there is anyone rooting for the team because of Jerry Jones.

This vid explains how "America's Team" came to be in 1978, but in this video they explain that the Dallas Cowboys were already the most popular team in the NFL and dominated TV ratings before being labeled America's Team.

It's weird to me TBH. I kind of always thought that moniker was the reason the Cowboys were so popular, but I don't think that's it. I am not sure why the country latched on. I guess the entire country just loved Roger Staubach, maybe he was the Jordan of the time, but not even the Bulls created a nation wide following like the Cowboys. So IDK maybe everyone just really liked the star on the helmet. It's really fascinating to me.

And IMO Jerry has nothing to do with it. He isn't great at selling, he just lucked into the best sports franchise investment of all time. If Jerry had purchased the Houston Oilers instead this wouldn't have happened. I mean the team is viral, it just sells itself.

Maybe God did it. Maybe it really is "God's Team".
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#146 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Our biggest problem in Seattle was that in the last 5-6 years, Pete Caroll was just good enough to not get fired. The team was competitive but not a serious contender. Which ultimately held the team back.

That’s the big problem with being “in the hunt”… knowing when to cut bait and move on. Usually doesn’t happen until you realize you should have done it a few years earlier.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM

Post#147 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:20 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Maybe I just don't see what you guys are seeing but I don't think there is anyone rooting for the team because of Jerry Jones.

This vid explains how "America's Team" came to be in 1978, but in this video they explain that the Dallas Cowboys were already the most popular team in the NFL and dominated TV ratings before being labeled America's Team.

It's weird to me TBH. I kind of always thought that moniker was the reason the Cowboys were so popular, but I don't think that's it. I am not sure why the country latched on. I guess the entire country just loved Roger Staubach, maybe he was the Jordan of the time, but not even the Bulls created a nation wide following like the Cowboys. So IDK maybe everyone just really liked the star on the helmet. It's really fascinating to me.

And IMO Jerry has nothing to do with it. He isn't great at selling, he just lucked into the best sports franchise investment of all time. If Jerry had purchased the Houston Oilers instead this wouldn't have happened. I mean the team is viral, it just sells itself.

Here’s my opinion, maybe BJJ and Otis can chime in too since I’m a little too young to have watched the Cowboys in the 60’s and 70’s.

There was a lot of national pride during that time and the simple fact that the Cowboys wore a star on their helmet and the fact that they had a guy from the Navy as their QB (Captain America) helped make them popular. Also they were really good team. Also the cheerleaders were hugely popular.

When it comes to Jerry, true he didn’t create the America’s team moniker (the Cowboys weren’t even Sabol’s first choice to be called America’s team). When Jerry took over the Cowboys though they were in a pretty low state. The game had passed Tom Landry by, the team was bad, and they weren’t really making any money. The best thing they had going for them were the cheerleaders.

Jerry mentioned that when he was considering buying the team he toured Texas Stadium and the first thing he realized is that there was no alcohol sold in the stadium. So the first thing he did when he bought the team was to start selling beer. He amped up the marketing of the team and allowed his football guys to do their thing. They brought a championship within 4 years of buying the team which made them hugely popular again. Plus they still had the cheerleaders.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#148 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:22 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Our biggest problem in Seattle was that in the last 5-6 years, Pete Caroll was just good enough to not get fired. The team was competitive but not a serious contender. Which ultimately held the team back.

That’s the big problem with being “in the hunt”… knowing when to cut bait and move on. Usually doesn’t happen until you realize you should have done it a few years earlier.

Precisely.

Logically Carroll should've been replaced 2 years ago. At the time, the team was going to make a change at QB & basically turnover a lot of the roster. But he stuck around because he convinced ownership that he could turn things around in short order. But it really wasn't until he gave an indication that retirement could be around the corner that management then decided to pull the plug.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#149 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Precisely.

Logically Carroll should've been replaced 2 years ago. At the time, the team was going to make a change at QB & basically turnover a lot of the roster. But he stuck around because he convinced ownership that he could turn things around in short order. But it really wasn't until he gave an indication that retirement could be around the corner that management then decided to pull the plug.

Sounds like what we went through with Jason Garrett. He was the Cowboys coach about 5 years too long. I don’t think he ever had back to back good seasons. Every time it seemed like he would be fired he would have a good season and Jerry would keep him. Jerry was also so upset at losing Sean Payton to the Saints (Jerry kind of got screwed by Bill Parcels) that he was determine to turn Garrett into the next Sean Payton. We ended up with Garrett for 10 years.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#150 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:41 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Precisely.

Sounds like what we went through with Jason Garrett. He was the Cowboys coach about 5 years too long. I don’t think he ever had back to back good seasons. Every time it seemed like he would be fired he would have a good season and Jerry would keep him. Jerry was also so upset at losing Sean Payton to the Saints (Jerry kind of got screwed by Bill Parcels) that he was determine to turn Garrett into the next Sean Payton. We ended up with Garrett for 10 years.

Pete also had a ton of leeway because of what he accomplished earlier on in his tenure. Winning a SB. Then when Paul Allen died of Cancer, his sister Jody, took over control of the team & all of his assets. Which gave him more time.

On the Dallas front, McCarthy & his staff should've been replaced after the GB loss. But Jerry seems to have a blind spot for coaches. Either that or his loyalty to those who work for him gets the better of him. Either way, it was a misstep.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#151 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:42 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:The absolute best snake oil salesman that ever lived. He already has the masses buying and drinking his elixir.

Here’s my opinion, maybe BJJ and Otis can chime in too since I’m a little too young to have watched the Cowboys in the 60’s and 70’s.

There was a lot of national pride during that time and the simple fact that the Cowboys wore a star on their helmet and the fact that they had a guy from the Navy as their QB (Captain America) helped make them popular. Also they were really good team. Also the cheerleaders were hugely popular.

When it comes to Jerry, true he didn’t create the America’s team moniker (the Cowboys weren’t even Sabol’s first choice to be called America’s team). When Jerry took over the Cowboys though they were in a pretty low state. The game had passed Tom Landry by, the team was bad, and they weren’t really making any money. The best thing they had going for them were the cheerleaders.

Jerry mentioned that when he was considering buying the team he toured Texas Stadium and the first thing he realized is that there was no alcohol sold in the stadium. So the first thing he did when he bought the team was to start selling beer. He amped up the marketing of the team and allowed his football guys to do their thing. They brought a championship within 4 years of buying the team which made them hugely popular again. Plus they still had the cheerleaders.

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2023/cowboy-up-blowouts-dallas-nfl-tv-ratings-1234747814/

So if the popularity had died down when Jerry purchased, what is keeping it thriving today?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#152 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:15 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:The absolute best snake oil salesman that ever lived. He already has the masses buying and drinking his elixir.

On top of what you mentioned above, it also had to do with WINNING. From 1966-1985 was one hell of a ride and pretty much a historic run at that. Only missed the playoffs once in that whole 20 year span which came in 1974 with an 8-6 record only to lose out in a tie breaker to the Redskins in a strike year. 2 NFL championship appearances, 5 Super bowl appearances and in a 17 year span were in the NFC championship 12 times. Also during that span we had many great players on the team, unlike today and the past 28 years. I define great players as those that showed up and played their best football when it mattered most. Great talent doesn't mean you are a great layer which is something that has stood out to me the past 3 decades.
And I've mentioned this before a number of times. Football is a head coach and QB league. We had a Hall Of Fame coach and QB back then with an owner that didn't mettle and stayed out of all football operations. Nobody even knew who Clint Murchinson was till it was time to receive a trophy. Besides Landry, we also had some players that revolutionized the game of football such as Bullet Bob Hayes. Nobody could cover the guy and today we have zone defenses because of him. And that's without bringing up legends like Lilly, Randy White, Too Tall Jones, Mel Renfro, Dorsett and many others.
I'm so ashamed what Jerry and his culture has done to this once proud and traditional franchise. I'm extremely hurt by what I have been looking at over the past 2 decades.
And to your other point, I don't think game passed by Tom Landry. Otis posted a really nice piece a few years ago which explains our mutual hatred of Gil Brandt. Gil Brandt took over all scouting and drafting operations. Go back and look at all Cowboy drafts starting in 1980 and tell me Landry was the one responsible for the condition of the Cowboys roster by 1986.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#153 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:27 pm

I'm sure winning and having talent factored in on the popularity, but it can't be the main reason. Otherwise the Patriots would have overtaken Dallas in popularity but instead they aren't even close. They had all the things BJJ just listed, the GOAT player, and arguably the GOAT coach as well.

We can see that the Chiefs popularity is growing, people want to tune in and see Mahomes and Kelce. But they are still below Dallas and we all know once Mahomes leaves that franchise will fade back into obscurity.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#154 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:22 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Maybe I just don't see what you guys are seeing but I don't think there is anyone rooting for the team because of Jerry Jones.

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2023/cowboy-up-blowouts-dallas-nfl-tv-ratings-1234747814/

So if the popularity had died down when Jerry purchased, what is keeping it thriving today?

The popularity died down in the 80’s before Jerry bought the team. They had a back decade for the most part. Then the 3 SB’s in the 90’s skyrocketed their popularity again and they’ve been riding that wave ever since. Again Jerry’s (and his daughter Charlotte’s) ability to market the team has them where they are now.

The fact that anyone gives a crap about the Cowboys after 30 years with no SB win is pretty amazing to honest. Like I said earlier Jerry is a master snake oil salesman. He has them drinking the elixir every year.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#155 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:39 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Here’s my opinion, maybe BJJ and Otis can chime in too since I’m a little too young to have watched the Cowboys in the 60’s and 70’s.

The popularity died down in the 80’s before Jerry bought the team. They had a back decade for the most part. Then the 3 SB’s in the 90’s skyrocketed their popularity again and they’ve been riding that wave ever since. Again Jerry’s (and his daughter Charlotte’s) ability to market the team has them where they are now.

The fact that anyone gives a crap about the Cowboys after 30 years with no SB win is pretty amazing to honest. Like I said earlier Jerry is a master snake oil salesman. He has them drinking the elixir every year.

Yeah I do not think it is Jerry's doing or them marketing better than other teams are. I think it's something else. I do not think for a second that Jerry and his family would have had the same success with another franchise.

Do you think had Jerry purchased the Falcons instead that the Falcons would be the most popular team in the NFL thanks to his genius salesmanship?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#156 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I'm sure winning and having talent factored in on the popularity, but it can't be the main reason. Otherwise the Patriots would have overtaken Dallas in popularity but instead they aren't even close. They had all the things BJJ just listed, the GOAT player, and arguably the GOAT coach as well.

We can see that the Chiefs popularity is growing, people want to tune in and see Mahomes and Kelce. But they are still below Dallas and we all know once Mahomes leaves that franchise will fade back into obscurity.

T.V was pretty much a new thing growing up in the 60's. I remember our first T.V. when I was just 6 years old. Black and white only back then. In 1966 we had our first Super bowl. It was something new to all of us. Maybe they Cowboys were just a part of what was new and special back then. Cowboys started out with nothing in their first year. No draft for us. But the point is we became good at the right time in history. Played in out first 2 NFL championship in 1966 against the Packers who were the team of that decade and we took off from there. 3 years later and we had the AFL-NFL merger and went to back to back Super Bowls in the first two years. Went to another 3 more Super bowls before the decade came to an end but just fell short to the Steelers who became the team of that decade after Super Bowl XIII. For 14years the Cowboys were always in the thick of things every year.
Tex Schramm was a grand master of marketing everything Cowboys back then. First and only team that had cheerleaders. They were called the Rockets and were almost as famous as the team itself. Not sure what the T.V. deal was back then, maybe Otis can elaborate more on that as he is a bit older than I am. But growing up as a kid, I always remember the Cowboys always being the double header game almost every week. Back then CBS had the NFC so the Giants were always the local team and the Cowboys were always the double header game. All we had before cable came along was this CBS station and a Canadian on our T.V.'s. Guess that's why we still to this day have so many Cowboy and Giants fans in the State Of Maine. Even when we eventually got cable in the mid-70's not much change except NBC who covered the AFC back then also carried their share of Cowboy games for the weekends they had double headers. Can't speak for other states, but the giants and Patriots sucked so bad back them the Cowboy's became everyone's darlings outside the haters. The baby boomer generation just loved the Cowboys. What can I say?
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#157 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:36 pm

I do wonder how much the cheerleader situation played into it all. I don't think it has much effect today, but back then it probably captured a lot of female fans and then that fandom was handed down to their kids.

I know they tried to rehype the cheerleaders with a reality show and whatnot, my gut feeling is that it didn't do much but maybe I'm off on that.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#158 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:46 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:T.V was pretty much a new thing growing up in the 60's. I remember our first T.V. when I was just 6 years old. Black and white only back then. In 1966 we had our first Super bowl. It was something new to all of us. Maybe they Cowboys were just a part of what was new and special back then. Cowboys started out with nothing in their first year. No draft for us. But the point is we became good at the right time in history. Played in out first 2 NFL championship in 1966 against the Packers who were the team of that decade and we took off from there. 3 years later and we had the AFL-NFL merger and went to back to back Super Bowls in the first two years. Went to another 3 more Super bowls before the decade came to an end but just fell short to the Steelers who became the team of that decade after Super Bowl XIII. For 14years the Cowboys were always in the thick of things every year.
Hank Schramm was a grand master of marketing everything Cowboys back then. First and only team that had cheerleaders. They were called the Rockets and were almost as famous as the team itself. Not sure what the T.V. deal was back then, maybe Otis can elaborate more on that as he is a bit older than I am. But growing up as a kid, I always remember the Cowboys always being the double header game almost every week. Back then CBS had the NFC so the Giants were always the local team and the Cowboys were always the double header game. All we had before cable came along was this CBS station and a Canadian on our T.V.'s. Guess that's why we still to this day have so many Cowboy and giants fans in the State Of Maine. Even when we eventually got cable in the mid-70's not much change except NBC who covered the AFC back then also carried their share of Cowboy games for the weekends they had double headers. Can't speak for other states, but the giants and Patriots sucked so bad back them the Cowboy's became everyone's darlings outside the haters. The baby boomer generation just loved the Cowboys. What can I say?

Bjj, not everyone "loved" the Cowboys. :wink:

The Raiders we're kind of THE TEAM out West back in those days. My dad was a Raider fan before Seattle was given a team. Which was not very uncommon. Which is why there are a ton of Raiders fans all along the West Coast.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#159 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:58 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2023/cowboy-up-blowouts-dallas-nfl-tv-ratings-1234747814/

Yeah I do not think it is Jerry's doing or them marketing better than other teams are. I think it's something else. I do not think for a second that Jerry and his family would have had the same success with another franchise.

Do you think had Jerry purchased the Falcons instead that the Falcons would be the most popular team in the NFL thanks to his genius salesmanship?

The Falcons didn’t have the moniker of America’s Team. Jerry took that moniker and marketed the hell out of it. Being the team of the 90’s helps. There are many reasons why. You’re right it’s not just Jerry’s marketing but that is part of it.

Can’t leave out Tex Schram either. He’s the reason the team plays in the NFC East and the reason they play every year on Thanksgiving. Oth of those are also contributors to their popularity.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#160 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:11 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I do wonder how much the cheerleader situation played into it all. I don't think it has much effect today, but back then it probably captured a lot of female fans and then that fandom was handed down to their kids.

I know they tried to rehype the cheerleaders with a reality show and whatnot, my gut feeling is that it didn't do much but maybe I'm off on that.

I forgot to mention that the Cowboys moved to a brand new state of the art facility in 1971. Texas Stadium. First ever stadium to have a built in hospital for the players with shopping malls, restaurants, etc,. They were the first to do it setting the standard for the future.

Return to Dallas Cowboys