ImageImageImageImage

2024 Cowboys Off Season

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#1 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:52 am

Might as well get it started now. So what do you guys think about this? Would you do it? Would you consider trading Micah?

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,325

Re: 2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:39 pm

Mr B wrote:Might as well get it started now. So what do you guys think about this? Would you do it? Would you consider trading Micah?

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg

Absolutely. But Jerry is bringing back McCarthy and Dak so does it really matter at this point?
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Post#3 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:52 pm

I do not understand the point of trading Micah. He is young AF. A building block. Why trade him away for more young building blocks?

Same with Lamb. Very young. No point in trading.

Even if we are trying to avoid their cap hit, then the savings would be spent on big name FAs who are probably worse than Lamb and Parsons.

I'll throw Tyler Smith in that group as well.

These three should be considered untradeable IMO.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#4 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:13 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I do not understand the point of trading Micah. He is young AF. A building block. Why trade him away for more young building blocks?

Even if we are trying to avoid their cap hit, then the savings would be spent on big name FAs who are probably worse than Lamb and Parsons.

The Cowboys don’t spend big money on free agents. The last big money free agent they signed was Brandon Carr.

Micah is a great player but he’s flawed. He’s really a 1 trick pony. He’s not good against the run and as we seen he can be taken completely out of a game.

He is one of the top 3-4 pass rushers in the NFL though and would likely draw 2 FRP’s. Two extra FRP’s would go a long way to rebuilding the OL, or adding a couple of highly ranked LB’s, or a couple of interior DL.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:14 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I do not understand the point of trading Micah. He is young AF. A building block. Why trade him away for more young building blocks?

:noway: :noway: Its not going to work Micah. We can't get better or improve this team moving forward paying Dak, Parsons and Lamb big money. If you want to keep Smith, Parsons and Lamb, then Dak has to go. We can build around that and possibly be better. Keeping and signing all 4 of them you have almost half of your team cap eaten up on 4 players. I see contract and salary cap hell for years to come.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#6 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:17 pm

Mr B wrote:

The Cowboys don’t spend big money on free agents. The last big money free agent they signed was Brandon Carr.

Micah is a great player but he’s flawed. He’s really a 1 trick pony. He’s not good against the run and as we seen he can be taken completely out of a game.

He is one of the top 3-4 pass rushers in the NFL though and would likely draw 2 FRP’s. Two extra FRP’s would go a long way to rebuilding the OL, or adding a couple of highly ranked LB’s, or a couple of interior DL.

If we aren't going to actually use the cap savings it's 100% pointless.

I agree he is flawed and a 1 trick pony. But his 1 trick is a REALLY good trick.

I want to get mad at him for not showing up vs Green Bay but at the same time not a single player on the roster showed up that game.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#7 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:23 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

:noway: :noway: Its not going to work Micah. We can't get better or improve this team moving forward paying Dak, Parsons and Lamb big money. If you want to keep Smith, Parsons and Lamb, then Dak has to go. We can build around that and possibly be better. Keeping and signing all 4 of them you have almost half of your team cap eaten up on 4 players. I see contract and salary cap hell for years to come.

Of those you listed it should be Dak. But I do think Dallas has proven to be good at moving cap hits around.

Dak is the old one, although with the way QBs age now I suppose it is possible that Dak and Lamb retire around the same time.

I really hope that they just let Dak play this year out, and don't give him a monster contract. Because you are right in that it would make building an elite defense tricky.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#8 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:35 pm

I think that when it comes to Jerry Jones and rebuilding this team that his age is a really big factor.

Maybe the biggest factor.

From Jerry's view, he simply does not have time to rebuild this team. For him it needs to work right now, with what we have in place now. Simply because he is too old to invest the years needed to create something new and better.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#9 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:16 pm

I think it's nuts. You don't trade a guy like Parsons. He's still young.

Plus it's not worth the gamble imo. Draft picks don't always pan out. Mazi Smith hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire. He's just a guy. So, you never truly know what your getting.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 556

Post#10 » by linery88 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:27 pm

They are not going to trade Micah.They should get him some help with more LB,s
Gallup is thankfully gone though.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:41 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

If we aren't going to actually use the cap savings it's 100% pointless.

I agree he is flawed and a 1 trick pony. But his 1 trick is a REALLY good trick.

I want to get mad at him for not showing up vs Green Bay but at the same time not a single player on the roster showed up that game.

One thing that MM said during his interview struck me. He said part of the problem was some guys were playing too fast. Basically getting themselves out of position. The videos clearly show that Clark had no idea what he was doing or where he was supposed to be. But part of me thinks it was also Parsons chasing stats. He’s not a very good leader and most of the time looks to just be chasing sacks instead of being where he’s supposed to be.

Also BJJ is right, we can’t pay all of them max money. At least one of Parsons, Lamb, Dak, and Tyler Smith will have to go. Parsons would likely bring back the biggest return.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:43 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I think that when it comes to Jerry Jones and rebuilding this team that his age is a really big factor.

Maybe the biggest factor.

From Jerry's view, he simply does not have time to rebuild this team. For him it needs to work right now, with what we have in place now. Simply because he is too old to invest the years needed to create something new and better.

Yea age makes sense as to why Jerry is willing to just run it back. Doesn’t make it any easier on us fans though.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:45 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I think it's nuts. You don't trade a guy like Parsons. He's still young.

Plus it's not worth the gamble imo. Draft picks don't always pan out. Mazi Smith hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire. He's just a guy. So, you never truly know what your getting.

Exactly you never really know what you’re getting. It could go good just as easy as it goes bad though. What if one of the picks obtained by trading him lands you a stud LT? To me that would be worth it.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#14 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:21 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I think it's nuts. You don't trade a guy like Parsons. He's still young.

Exactly you never really know what you’re getting. It could go good just as easy as it goes bad though. What if one of the picks obtained by trading him lands you a stud LT? To me that would be worth it.

No way.

Parsons was the single best player in that entire draft, we got really lucky.

If we got 3 first rounders for Parsons odds are not a single one of them would be as good.

And even if one was, we'd just end up having to pay them a huge amount.
Mr B
RealGM

2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#15 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:15 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

No way.

Parsons was the single best player in that entire draft, we got really lucky.

If we got 3 first rounders for Parsons odds are not a single one of them would be as good.

And even if one was, we'd just end up having to pay them a huge amount.

The Cowboys have been pretty good at drafting. Will McClay has been great at finding talent in the draft. For every Mazi Smith (jury is still out on him by the way) there is a Tyler Smith. They have hit on more picks than they have missed.

Also yes they would have to eventually pay that person however they wouldn’t have to pay him this year.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#16 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:34 pm

One thing I became hyper aware of this season is that when it comes to pass protection it is 100% a group effort.

It does not matter how elite Tyler and Tyron are playing if Steele just lets his man blast through him every time. When Steele does that the entire line looks like s--t. It doesn't matter if the other 4 guys are all AllPros.

And because of that I think RT is the teams biggest weakness. Steele was the only starter I feel was consitently bad throughout the whole season.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:09 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:One thing I became hyper aware of this season is that when it comes to pass protection it is 100% a group effort.

It does not matter how elite Tyler and Tyron are playing if Steele just lets his man blast through him every time. When Steele does that the entire line looks like s--t. It doesn't matter if the other 4 guys are all AllPros.

And because of that I think RT is the teams biggest weakness. Steele was the only starter I feel was consitently bad throughout the whole season.

Steele was definitely trash this year. However I think the real problem is Center. Biadasz is a solid OL (good not great) but he’s not a true Center. The Cowboys really need to improve that position. The Cowboys running game was at its best went Travis Fredrick was the Center. They need another one of this guys.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:50 pm

Now is the best time to trade Parsons, especially if it gets us another first round draft choice. We will never get more for him than at this moment. Its the perfect time to move on from him and Dak.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:19 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Now is the best time to trade Parsons, especially if it gets us another first round draft choice. We will never get more for him than at this moment. Its the perfect time to move on from him and Dak.

Dak, yes. Parsons, no.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#20 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:22 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Dak, yes. Parsons, no.

I'd rather have a Fred Warner type LB in our system. We have pass rushers, we need players and LB's that can play run support. Parson royally sucks in that department.

Return to Dallas Cowboys