Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,480

Re: 2024 Cowboys Draft 

Post#181 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:36 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Explains why your RB's spend so much time on the IL.

They've drafted the most RB's of any team since 2012. :lol:

I guess your two stud WR's make too much money. :wink: :lol:

Well, the GM was a RB at a small college. Both he & Pete have had a fetish for them. :wink:

I guess we'll find out if they take another one this year. It wouldn't shock me.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#182 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:39 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:They've drafted the most RB's of any team since 2012. :lol:

I guess your two stud WR's make too much money. :wink: :lol:

Well, the GM was a RB at a small college. Both he & Pete have had a fetish for them. :wink:

I guess we'll find out if they take another one this year. It wouldn't shock me.

You guys drafted a real nice WR last year. Can't remember his name at the moment, but I think he's going to be a stud Wr also.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#183 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:44 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I guess your two stud WR's make too much money. :wink: :lol:

You guys drafted a real nice WR last year. Can't remember his name at the moment, but I think he's going to be a stud Wr also.

JSN.

It looks like Lockett will play one more year. He'll retire. JSN will replace him.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#184 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:47 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Well, the GM was a RB at a small college. Both he & Pete have had a fetish for them. :wink:

JSN.

It looks like Lockett will play one more year. He'll retire. JSN will replace him.

If you guys draft 2 O-Lineman in this draft coming up, I predict you guys will win the NFC West this year. :wizard:
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#185 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:49 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Mr B wrote:Mims reminds me of a young Tyron Smith, super athletic and has all the tools but is raw. He has the potential to be the best lineman to come out of this draft. He’s just not there yet.

Wilson reminds me of Sean Lee. If he didn’t have the injuries he’s probably the best LB in this class. He’s going to end up having a short career though. As a Cowboys fan I’ve had it with gimpy LB’s.

Yea Troy Fautanu might end up being a better Guard than Tackle. I just like both he and Taliese Fuaga. Both are big tough Polynesian players. Those guys are usually anchors and strong as hell. Mims definitely has more upside but these two are more NFL ready and both should be very good offensive lineman (tackle or guard).

I just heard and read (CBC Sports) that Jerry is looking to replace T. Smith with his first pick. There is some rumblings, rumors and now some mocks having the Cowboys making a huge trade with the Raiders and moving up to pick, #13, and taking this kid out of Penn State. Olumuyiwa Fashanu- 6"6"/ 317lbs. How would you like this guy Mr. B.? :eyebrows: Raiders think Penix will be at Cowboys pick @ 24.

I wouldn’t hate the pick. Honestly I hadn’t watched a lot of video on him since I figured the Cowboys would have zero shot at him. Based on what I’ve seen today though he’d be a pretty good addition. He’s a better pass blocker than run blocker but is extremely strong. He will definitely improve in that area. He and Tyler Smith playing next to each other would be pretty fun to watch.

My question is how much would it take to trade up to 13 from 24? It would have to be a pick from next years draft because they are already short in this draft. If they did that and walked out of the first two rounds with Olu Fashanu and Edgerrin Cooper I’d be pretty happy.

I have a feeling it would be Olu Fashanu and then Jonathan Brooks though. I really think they are going to draft Brooks in the 2nd round.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#186 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I just heard and read that Jerry is looking to replace T. Smith with his first pick. There is some rumblings, rumors and now some mocks having the Cowboys making a huge trade with the Raiders and moving up to pick, #13, and taking this kid out of Penn State. Olumuyiwa Fashanu- 6"6"/ 317lbs. How would you like this guy Mr. B.? :eyebrows:

Fashanu is the one Tackle prospect I don't like. He's being mocked way too early in my eyes.

Is there something specifically you don’t like?

From what I’ve seen he appears to be a better pass blocker than run blocker.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#187 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:55 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:You guys drafted a real nice WR last year. Can't remember his name at the moment, but I think he's going to be a stud Wr also.

JSN.

If you guys draft 2 O-Lineman in this draft coming up, I predict you guys will win the NFC West this year. :wizard:

I think they're a year away from competing to be completely honest. You have a rookie head coach that will have to implement his scheme. Get the players to fully buy in. I think year two under the new staff is when they can make some noise. But there will be an adjustment period.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#188 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:57 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Yea Troy Fautanu might end up being a better Guard than Tackle. I just like both he and Taliese Fuaga. Both are big tough Polynesian players. Those guys are usually anchors and strong as hell. Mims definitely has more upside but these two are more NFL ready and both should be very good offensive lineman (tackle or guard).

I just heard and read (CBC Sports) that Jerry is looking to replace T. Smith with his first pick. There is some rumblings, rumors and now some mocks having the Cowboys making a huge trade with the Raiders and moving up to pick, #13, and taking this kid out of Penn State. Olumuyiwa Fashanu- 6"6"/ 317lbs. How would you like this guy Mr. B.? :eyebrows: Raiders think Penix will be at Cowboys pick @ 24.

I wouldn’t hate the pick. Honestly I hadn’t watched a lot of video on him since I figured the Cowboys would have zero shot at him. Based on what I’ve seen today though he’d be a pretty good addition. He’s a better pass blocker than run blocker but is extremely strong. He will definitely improve in that area. He and Tyler Smith playing next to each other would be pretty fun to watch.

My question is how much would it take to trade up to 13 from 24? It would have to be a pick from next years draft because they are already short in this draft. If they did that and walked out of the first two rounds with Olu Fashanu and Edgerrin Cooper I’d be pretty happy.

I have a feeling it would be Olu Fashanu and then Jonathan Brooks though. I really think they are going to draft Brooks in the 2nd round.

Exactly. And at the moment we have Davis and Dowdle as our starting backfield next season. OH, and did I mention we have no LB's.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#189 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:59 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:JSN.

I think they're a year away from competing to be completely honest. You have a rookie head coach that will have to implement his scheme. Get the players to fully buy in. I think year two under the new staff is when they can make some noise. But there will be an adjustment period.

I liked your answers better when you weren't a Mod. :wink:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#190 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:02 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I just heard and read that Jerry is looking to replace T. Smith with his first pick. There is some rumblings, rumors and now some mocks having the Cowboys making a huge trade with the Raiders and moving up to pick, #13, and taking this kid out of Penn State. Olumuyiwa Fashanu- 6"6"/ 317lbs. How would you like this guy Mr. B.? :eyebrows:

Fashanu is the one Tackle prospect I don't like. He's being mocked way too early in my eyes.

Is there something specifically you don’t like?

From what I’ve seen he appears to be a better pass blocker than run blocker.

He's a little stiff. Needs to improve his play strength. It might also be a pad level/technique issue. But he was the one guy I came away less than impressed with. It's a really strong Tackle class. But Olu is someone who shouldn't go in the first 15-20 picks imo. Too many good Tackles.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#191 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:09 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:If you guys draft 2 O-Lineman in this draft coming up, I predict you guys will win the NFC West this year. :wizard:

Those are my honest thoughts. I'm worried about the OL. But there are a bunch of new guys they've brought in on the other side of the ball. It will be fascinating to see how it unfolds.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#192 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:13 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I think they're a year away from competing to be completely honest. You have a rookie head coach that will have to implement his scheme. Get the players to fully buy in. I think year two under the new staff is when they can make some noise. But there will be an adjustment period.

Those are my honest thoughts. I'm worried about the OL. But there are a bunch of new guys they've brought in on the other side of the ball. It will be fascinating to see how it unfolds.

More fascinating than whats going on in Dallas.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#193 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:01 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I think they're a year away from competing to be completely honest. You have a rookie head coach that will have to implement his scheme. Get the players to fully buy in. I think year two under the new staff is when they can make some noise. But there will be an adjustment period.

The Cowboys also have no Center other than Brock Hoffman.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#194 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:35 pm

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,159

Post#195 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Apr 2, 2024 10:43 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Great article by Rick Gosselin.

https://rickgosselin.com/does-the-nfl-know-what-a-qb-looks-like/

Luck is something that most fans choose to completely ignore. We like to pretend scouts are flawless and GMs are either geniuses or idiots, while the truth is most are either lucky or unlucky. The Pats are lucky AF not only to have drafted Brady, but that Bledsoe got injured so that they could discover Brady.

Brady himself is lucky just to have several of his rings. The tuck rule gave him one, Pete Carroll calling a pass gave him another.

Dak was the best QB in that entire draft, so not only did we get extremely lucky there but we also got lucky for Romo to get injured so that Dak could even show us what it he was. Had Romo played 3-4 more years Dak probably would be buried deep and hidden on some roster. A complete unknown.

And yeah, even a high draft pick is a huge gamble at the QB position, that is why we have Trey Lance right now. The 9ers scouts thought they nailed that one which is why they traded the farm for him and whiffed completely.

So much of this game is just flat out luck.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#196 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:57 am

Micah Prescott wrote:Luck is something that most fans choose to completely ignore. We like to pretend scouts are flawless and GMs are either geniuses or idiots, while the truth is most are either lucky or unlucky. The Pats are lucky AF not only to have drafted Brady, but that Bledsoe got injured so that they could discover Brady.

Brady himself is lucky just to have several of his rings. The tuck rule gave him one, Pete Carroll calling a pass gave him another.

Dak was the best QB in that entire draft, so not only did we get extremely lucky there but we also got lucky for Romo to get injured so that Dak could even show us what it he was. Had Romo played 3-4 more years Dak probably would be buried deep and hidden on some roster. A complete unknown.

And yeah, even a high draft pick is a huge gamble at the QB position, that is why we have Trey Lance right now. The 9ers scouts thought they nailed that one which is why they traded the farm for him and whiffed completely.

Some of it is luck, and some it is just better scouting. If you can identify a guy, then you will have the upper hand in most cases.

Carroll recruited players like Richard Sherman & Earl Thomas, while at USC. So, he was able to identify guys in the draft those first few years in Seattle (2010-13). He had the upper hand over most teams in that regard. It led to winning a Super Bowl.

But as he lost those connections, that changed over time. The team did not draft nearly as well as a consequence.

From 2016-2020, they got very little production from the players they drafted. Metcalf was really the only impact guy they hit on during that period. That's how bad it got, post-Super Bowl.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,159

Post#197 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:24 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Luck is something that most fans choose to completely ignore. We like to pretend scouts are flawless and GMs are either geniuses or idiots, while the truth is most are either lucky or unlucky. The Pats are lucky AF not only to have drafted Brady, but that Bledsoe got injured so that they could discover Brady.

Some of it is luck, and some it is just better scouting. If you can identify a guy, then you will have the upper hand in most cases.

Carroll recruited players like Richard Sherman & Earl Thomas, while at USC. So, he was able to identify guys in the draft those first few years in Seattle (2010-13). He had the upper hand over most teams in that regard. It led to winning a Super Bowl.

But as he lost those connections, that changed over time. The team did not draft nearly as well as a consequence.

From 2016-2020, they got very little production from the players they drafted. Metcalf was really the only impact guy they hit on during that period. That's how bad it got, post-Super Bowl.

I want trying to say it's ALL luck. Scouting is real, and some are better at finding talent than others. But NO ONE really knows what a player will go on to become.

Richard Sherman was mostly luck IMO. There were 23 CBs taken before him and he was the only good player drafted by Seattle that year in the 5th round.

Seattle was lucky that he was even there in the 5th.

If they really knew what he was they would have snagged him much earlier.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#198 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:49 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I want trying to say it's ALL luck. Scouting is real, and some are better at finding talent than others. But NO ONE really knows what a player will go on to become.

Richard Sherman was mostly luck IMO. There were 23 CBs taken before him and he was the only good player drafted by Seattle that year in the 5th round.

Seattle was lucky that he was even there in the 5th.

If they really knew what he was they would have snagged him much earlier.

That's true. But Carroll also recruited him out of High School. He knew he was a project. But also, the type of competitor that he was. He was a receiver in high school & most of his college years. Sherman likely never has the same type of success if he was drafted by another team.

I mean Carroll identified & hit on so many guys in mid-later rounds. Because he recruited most of them.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#199 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:54 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Obviously finding a good QB has a lot to with luck but you can say that about any position. Right now the Cowboys have a guy in charge of the draft that knows how to spot talent. Remember he’s the same guy that drafted Dak. So if that guy is in charge of finding a new QB for the Cowboys I feel ok about that. Do I expect he will find a QB within 1 year, no. In all honesty it will likely take a couple of years. To me that would be more exciting than knowing this team is going to win 10 games or so and flame out in round 1 or 2.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#200 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:17 pm

Mr B wrote:Obviously finding a good QB has a lot to with luck but you can say that about any position. Right now the Cowboys have a guy in charge of the draft that knows how to spot talent. Remember he’s the same guy that drafted Dak. So if that guy is in charge of finding a new QB for the Cowboys I feel ok about that. Do I expect he will find a QB within 1 year, no. In all honesty it will likely take a couple of years. To me that would be more exciting than knowing this team is going to win 10 games or so and flame out in round 1 or 2.

I think they just need to move on from McCarthy & hire the right coach to replace him. If they did that, they could win the whole thing imo. I think sometimes we lose sight of just how important coaching can be. Especially for this sport. McCarthy teams underachieved in the playoffs for years in Green Bay. Honestly, they should have gotten to more than just the one Super Bowl. They should have played in several more.

It's why I'm optimistic about the Hawks now going forward. They still need to find their long-term QB. But they got the right guy to replace Carroll. They could've hired Dan Quinn. But not much would have changed in all likelihood. Instead, they got a guy who's considered one of the younger bright defensive minds.

Return to Dallas Cowboys