ImageImageImageImage

2024 Cowboys Draft

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

2024 Cowboys Draft 

Post#1 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:34 pm

Figured I’d start a separate thread strictly for draft talk instead of grouping it together with the off season talk.

I’ve started to look at RB’s that should be there in the 3rd or 4th rounds (I know they don’t have a 4th round pick yet). A guy that looks to be exactly what this team needs is Braelon Allen from Wisconsin. He looks a little Adrian Peterson-esq when he runs. A big powerful RB. Here is a highlight reel of his 2023 season.

https://youtu.be/jso-r_o2GAE?si=Sx-b9gZndnLjjELH
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,325

Re: 2024 Cowboys Draft 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:59 pm

Mr B wrote:Figured I’d start a separate thread strictly for draft talk instead of grouping it together with the off season talk.

I’ve started to look at RB’s that should be there in the 3rd or 4th rounds (I know they don’t have a 4th round pick yet). A guy that looks to be exactly what this team needs is Braelon Allen from Wisconsin. He looks a little Adrian Peterson-esq when he runs. A big powerful RB. Here is a highlight reel of his 2023 season.

I haven't got started yet in my draft evaluations yet. I know we need LB's and I agree with you on more help on the O-line.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:14 pm

Mr B wrote:Figured I’d start a separate thread strictly for draft talk instead of grouping it together with the off season talk.

I started looking at LB's today. I've found 4 I like, but not till round 2. Looks like O-line is the way for us to go in round 1 unless something falls in our lap. Jerry once again said he is all end this year. Is there a guy on your radar worth moving up for? For me the problem is there are no LB's worth moving up for so I'm willing to go with our next area of need. Like you I would also like to draft an RB but I really don't like anything there I like in the first round either.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#4 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:54 am

This would be an awesome LB group!

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:37 pm

Mr B wrote:This would be an awesome LB group!

Read on Twitter

Cowboys plan to cut LVE?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#6 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:46 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Read on Twitter

Cowboys plan to cut LVE?

I would be really surprised if he comes back next season. Either because of retirement or because he got cut.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:36 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Read on Twitter

Cowboys plan to cut LVE?

I would be really surprised if he comes back next season. Either because of retirement or because he got cut.

If that's the case, then LB should be a top priority. TOP.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:50 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Read on Twitter

Cowboys plan to cut LVE?

You have any thoughts on Payton Wilson-LB N.C. ST. and J. Tottier- LB- Clemson? ? They sounds like possible perfect fits for us after Cooper. I'm Hoping we take Cooper on round 2 and another one in round 3.
There is a player named Chop Robinson however that has caught my eye. Listed as both OLB and edge rusher from Penn ST. The read up on him is outstanding. Seems like another Micah Parsons type player. Say he has very good range and is a hell of a run stopper. He is projected to go around where we pick in the first round.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:53 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Cowboys plan to cut LVE?

You have any thoughts on Payton Wilson-LB N.C. ST. and J. Tottier- LB- Clemson? ? They sounds like possible perfect fits for us after Cooper. I'm Hoping we take Cooper on round 2 and another one in round 3.
There is a player named Chop Robinson however that has caught my eye. Listed as both OLB and edge rusher from Penn ST. The read up on him is outstanding. Seems like another Micah Parsons type player. Say he has very good range and is a hell of a run stopper. He is projected to go around where we pick in the first round.

Not sure that an Edge LB is really what the Cowboys need right now. They need inside LB’s (with size) that can stop the run and cover the pass. I really like Trotter however he’s a bit on the small side. Just from what I’ve seen so far of the LB’s I do really like Edgerrin Cooper, Payton Wilson, and (most Cowboys fans hate this one) Junior Colson. All 3 have good size, can cover and stop the run, and the last two will likely go in round 3.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Post#10 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:07 pm

This coming season I care way more about Free Agency than the draft. If we go out and get big names like Queen and whoever else I'll start drinking koolaid.

This will be the LAST year of Jerry Jones. The end of an era.

I do believe you can win on just talent alone, even if the coaching sucks, even if the QB is average, which is pretty much exactly what we did in 95. We won with bad coaching and just loaded talent alone with big name FA Deion Sanders.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:24 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:This coming season I care way more about Free Agency than the draft. If we go out and get big names like Queen and whoever else I'll start drinking koolaid.

I do believe you can win on just talent alone, even if the coaching sucks, even if the QB is average, which is pretty much exactly what we did in 95. We won with bad coaching and just loaded talent alone with big name FA Deion Sanders.

It came at a very huge cost IMHO. Jerry spent too much money bring in Sanders and we were unable to keep some of our O-line. Larry Allen just went on to have a hall of fame career with the Niners. Back then, I called it the beginning of the end of the Jimmy Johnson era.
Mr B
RealGM

2024 Cowboys Draft 

Post#12 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:32 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:This coming season I care way more about Free Agency than the draft. If we go out and get big names like Queen and whoever else I'll start drinking koolaid.

It came at a very huge cost IMHO. Jerry spent too much money bring in Sanders and we were unable to keep some of our O-line. Larry Allen just went on to have a hall of fame career with the Niners. Back then, I called it the beginning of the end of the Jimmy Johnson era.

There were really just 2 OL that Dallas couldn’t resign the year they got Deion. Mark Stepnoski left Dallas for Houston and the Giants signed an up and coming Ron Stone. I don’t know if that was as much about Deion’s contract as it was Jerry’s belief that great OL can easily be found.

With that said the most important person for the Cowboys to get in this years draft I still believe it Jackson Powers-Johnson the Center from Oregon. I know we need LB’s but this kid is an absolute stud Center.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:25 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

There were really just 2 OL that Dallas couldn’t resign the year they got Deion. Mark Stepnoski left Dallas for Houston and the Giants signed an up and coming Ron Stone. I don’t know if that was as much about Deion’s contract as it was Jerry’s belief that great OL can easily be found.

With that said the most important person for the Cowboys to get in this years draft I still believe it Jackson Powers-Johnson the Center from Oregon. I know we need LB’s but this kid is an absolute stud Center.

I don't disagree with you. With McCarthy and Dak coming back, I believe nothing will make a difference that we do under the current leadership and downright awful culture under Jerry's umbrella. I won't be drinking one ounce of the Jerry cool aid this year. I'm out.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:49 am

You make it sound like Jerry's barely hanging in there. :wink:

Is everything okay with his health?
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:54 am

Mr B wrote:With that said the most important person for the Cowboys to get in this years draft I still believe it Jackson Powers-Johnson the Center from Oregon. I know we need LB’s but this kid is an absolute stud Center.

He's on my watchlist for the Hawks. This draft is loaded with quality lineman. There are so many Tackle/Guard prospects.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:12 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

Jerry Jones is going to out live everyone on this board.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:21 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:With that said the most important person for the Cowboys to get in this years draft I still believe it Jackson Powers-Johnson the Center from Oregon. I know we need LB’s but this kid is an absolute stud Center.

He's on my watchlist for the Hawks. This draft is loaded with quality lineman. There are so many Tackle/Guard prospects.

That’s my fear, that JPJ won’t make it to pick 24. Prior to the Senior Bowl he was projected as a mid-2nd round pick. Now he’s being projected as a mid-late 1st. After the Combine I’ll be surprised if he makes it out of the teens.

Graham Barton out of Duke is another highly touted Center prospect that I like. He has some injury concerns though. He’s being projected as a late 1st/early 2nd pick.

Those are the only 2 Centers I would consider in the 1st or 2nd round. If both are off the board I’m just taking the best available OL at 24. That’s likely to be G-Troy Fautanu or T-Jordan Morgan. I might also consider DT too.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#18 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:40 am

Isn't Barton projected as a Guard?

These are guys on my radar for the Hawks:

ED Laiatu Latu
ED Jared Verse
DT Byron Murphy

T Taliese Fuaga
C Jackson Powers-Johnson
G Troy Fautanu

Our new OC (Ryan Grubb) coached Fautanu, so there's obviously a connection there. We also have to address our IOL. Powers & Fautanu would make a lot of sense.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:35 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:He's on my watchlist for the Hawks. This draft is loaded with quality lineman. There are so many Tackle/Guard prospects.

That’s my fear, that JPJ won’t make it to pick 24. Prior to the Senior Bowl he was projected as a mid-2nd round pick. Now he’s being projected as a mid-late 1st. After the Combine I’ll be surprised if he makes it out of the teens.

Graham Barton out of Duke is another highly touted Center prospect that I like. He has some injury concerns though. He’s being projected as a late 1st/early 2nd pick.

Those are the only 2 Centers I would consider in the 1st or 2nd round. If both are off the board I’m just taking the best available OL at 24. That’s likely to be G-Troy Fautanu or T-Jordan Morgan. I might also consider DT too.

Isn't Barton projected as a Guard?

OL- Taliese Fuaga (T/G), Jackson Powers-Johnson (C), Troy Fautanu (G)

DL- Laiatu Latu (Edge), Byron Murphy (DT)

These are guys on my radar for the Hawks. I think Fuaga will end up being a top 10 pick if I had to guess. He's by far my favorite OL I've watched.

Our new OC (Ryan Grubb) coached Fautanu, so there's obviously a connection there. We also have to address our IOL. Powers & Fautanu would make a lot of sense.

Barton is projected to be a Guard or Center in the NFL, he was a Tackle at Duke. I’ve read that some thought he would have made as much noise as JPJ at Center at the Senior Bowl if he had played. He’s coming off an injury though so he didn’t play.

This draft is deep at OL. Maybe not at the top but definitely in the mid-late 1st on down. If the Cowboys miss out on JPJ I’m leaning toward Barton however I really want them to take the best player available. That could easily be an OL.

I really like Byron Murphy too however the Cowboys don’t really need a 3-tech DT. I’d really love to draft his teammate at Texas though T’Vondre Sweat. He’s exactly what the Cowboys need, a big fat run stuffing DT.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#20 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:12 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Jerry Jones is going to out live everyone on this board.

Unfortunately.

Return to Dallas Cowboys