ImageImageImageImage

2024 Cowboys Draft

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Re: 2024 Cowboys Draft 

Post#141 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:16 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Alright, let's talk draft!

I'll post my rankings on prospects. We can debate. Since Bjj seems up for it.

QB
1. Caleb Williams
2. Jayden Daniels
3. Drake Maye
4. Bo Nix
5. JJ McCarthy

WR/TE
1. Malik Nabers
2. Marvin Harrison
3. Rome Odunze
4. Brian Thomas
5. Brock Bowers

OL
1. Joe Alt
2. Amarius Mims
3. Taliese Fuaga
4. Troy Fautanu
5. JC Latham

DL
1. Dallas Turner
2. Laiatu Latu
3. Jared Verse
4. Byron Murphy
5. Johnny Newton

LB
1. Edgerrin Cooper
2. Junior Colson
3. Payton Wilson
4. Cedric Gray

DB
1. Quinyon Mitchell
2. Terrion Arnold
3. Nate Wiggins
4. Tyler Nubin
5. Cooper DeJean

The one position group I have yet to do a deep dive on is RB. But the group overall seems fairly underwhelming.

So It looks like the Cowboys will have the awesome tandem of Deuce Vaghn and Dowdle next season. Box office material.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#142 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:16 pm

QB
1. Caleb Williams
2. Jayden Daniels
3. Drake Maye
4. Bo Nix
5. JJ McCarthy

WR/TE
1. Malik Nabers
2. Marvin Harrison
3. Rome Odunze
4. Brian Thomas
5. Brock Bowers

OL
1. Joe Alt
2. Amarius Mims
3. Taliese Fuaga
4. Troy Fautanu
5. JC Latham

DL
1. Dallas Turner
2. Laiatu Latu
3. Jared Verse
4. Byron Murphy
5. Johnny Newton

LB
1. Edgerrin Cooper
2. Payton Wilson
3. Junior Colson
4. Cedric Gray

DB
1. Quinyon Mitchell
2. Terrion Arnold
3. Nate Wiggins
4. Cooper DeJean
5. Tyler Nubin

The one position group I have yet to do a deep dive on is RB. But the group overall seems fairly underwhelming.

Are these your own personal rankings?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,472

Post#143 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:59 pm

Mr B wrote:Are these your own personal rankings?

Yes, you won't find a better list.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM

Post#144 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 am

QB
1. Caleb Williams
2. Jayden Daniels
3. Drake Maye
4. Bo Nix
5. JJ McCarthy

WR/TE
1. Malik Nabers
2. Marvin Harrison
3. Rome Odunze
4. Brian Thomas
5. Brock Bowers

OL
1. Joe Alt
2. Amarius Mims
3. Taliese Fuaga
4. Troy Fautanu
5. JC Latham

DL
1. Dallas Turner
2. Laiatu Latu
3. Jared Verse
4. Byron Murphy
5. Johnny Newton

LB
1. Edgerrin Cooper
2. Payton Wilson
3. Junior Colson
4. Cedric Gray

DB
1. Quinyon Mitchell
2. Terrion Arnold
3. Nate Wiggins
4. Cooper DeJean
5. Tyler Nubin

I might make a couple of changes but for the most part I would agree. I would have Marvin Jr over Nabers. I would also have Fuaga and Fautanu over Mims, and I wouldn’t have Payton Wilson on my board at all because of his injuries history. I would trust Penix and his injury history as a QB than I would Wilson and his injury history as a LB. Other than that I would agree with everyone else.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#145 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

Mr B wrote:I might make a couple of changes but for the most part I would agree. I would have Marvin Jr over Nabers. I would also have Fuaga and Fautanu over Mims, and I wouldn’t have Payton Wilson on my board at all because of his injuries history. I would trust Penix and his injury history as a QB than I would Wilson and his injury history as a LB. Other than that I would agree with everyone else.

Marvin gets most of the spotlight. But Nabers is so dynamic with the ball in his hands, great route runner. He's electric. I love his game.

Mims has the most upside out of all the Tackles. Joe Alt is the safe pick (High floor), so he'll be the first taken. But Mims has an elite profile. His film is really good for a guy who's just a one-year starter. If he stayed in school for another year, he'd be a top 5 pick. If he's still available at 16, that's the guy that I would target.

Fautanu can play Tackle, but I like him more at Guard in the long run. I also really like both Fuaga & Latham. This draft is just loaded with quality Tackle/Guard prospects. Great year to take one.

The one guy that I actually think is a bit overrated is Olu Fashanu. I expect him to drop.

Your take on Wilson is completely fair btw.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#146 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:I might make a couple of changes but for the most part I would agree. I would have Marvin Jr over Nabers. I would also have Fuaga and Fautanu over Mims, and I wouldn’t have Payton Wilson on my board at all because of his injuries history. I would trust Penix and his injury history as a QB than I would Wilson and his injury history as a LB. Other than that I would agree with everyone else.

Marvin gets most of the spotlight. But Nabers is so dynamic with the ball in his hands, great route runner. He's electric. I love his game.

Mims has the most upside out of all the Tackles. Joe Alt is the safe pick (High floor), so he'll be the first taken. But Mims has an elite profile. His film is really good for a guy who's just a one-year starter. If he stayed in school for another year, he'd be a top 5 pick. If he's still available at 16, that's the guy that I would target.

Fautanu can play Tackle, but I like him more at Guard in the long run. I also really like both Fuaga & Latham. This draft is just loaded with quality Tackle/Guard prospects. Great year to take one.

The one guy that I actually think is a bit overrated is Olu Fashanu. I expect him to drop.

Mims reminds me of a young Tyron Smith, super athletic and has all the tools but is raw. He has the potential to be the best lineman to come out of this draft. He’s just not there yet.

Wilson reminds me of Sean Lee. If he didn’t have the injuries he’s probably the best LB in this class. He’s going to end up having a short career though. As a Cowboys fan I’ve had it with gimpy LB’s.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#147 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

Mr B wrote:Mims reminds me of a young Tyron Smith, super athletic and has all the tools but is raw. He has the potential to be the best lineman to come out of this draft. He’s just not there yet.

Wilson reminds me of Sean Lee. If he didn’t have the injuries he’s probably the best LB in this class. He’s going to end up having a short career though. As a Cowboys fan I’ve had it with gimpy LB’s.

100%.

Agreed on Wilson. He'll likely fall because of the medical. But he's a really good player.

I think Mims goes earlier than the current consensus (top 15). He would be a blue-chip prospect if he had more experience.

Again, I really like both Fautanu & Fuaga. But neither guy has the upside of Mims. The guy is an alien.

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#148 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Mims reminds me of a young Tyron Smith, super athletic and has all the tools but is raw. He has the potential to be the best lineman to come out of this draft. He’s just not there yet.

Yea Troy Fautanu might end up being a better Guard than Tackle. I just like both he and Taliese Fuaga. Both are big tough Polynesian players. Those guys are usually anchors and strong as hell. Mims definitely has more upside but these two are more NFL ready and both should be very good offensive lineman (tackle or guard).
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#149 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

Mr B wrote:Yea Troy Fautanu might end up being a better Guard than Tackle. I just like both he and Taliese Fuaga. Both are big tough Polynesian players. Those guys are usually anchors and strong as hell. Mims definitely has more upside but these two are more NFL ready and both should be very good offensive lineman (tackle or guard).

The logical landing spot for Fautanu is Seattle. Everyone is making that assumption with Ryan Grubb & Scott Huff (UW) being hired. They also don't have a starting Left Guard on the roster. However, the GM & front office have never placed a high value on Guards. They tend to spend very little resources on the position.

There are also rumors that Abe Lucas (RT) has a degenerative knee issue. He missed a good chunk of last season, because of the knee. They signed George Fant as a potential fill-in, in case Lucas' knee remains an issue. So, I wonder if they plan to take a Tackle instead? Fuaga would be perfect. But he won't last to 16. Mims would be the next logical guy. They like athletic Tackles, so I don't see Latham as necessarily a fit. Maybe Guyton.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Post#150 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

:o

He makes Tyler Smith look small.

And Tyler Smith makes Tyron Smith look small.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#151 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Micah Prescott wrote: :o

Read on Twitter

I swear if he somehow ends up with the Cowboys, I'm going to be so pissed. :wink: :lol:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#152 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

I meant more that he’s really young, super athletic, but raw. Size wise obviously Mims is bigger.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#153 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote: :o

Read on Twitter

I swear if he somehow ends up with the Cowboys, I'm going to be so pissed. :wink: :lol:

Mims does fit what the Cowboys like however so does Fautanu because he can play both Guard and Tackle. It might really come down to who Seattle takes and if there is a run on the OL before Dallas picks at 24. The Cowboys are also in the market for a Center too though and if Jackson Powers-Johnson falls to 24 I really think he will be the pick over any of the tackles.

The wild card is WR Brian Thomas Jr. If all the OL go prior to pick 24 there is a good chance Thomas Jr falls to 24. If that happens I think the Cowboys will trade down (28 to Buffalo is a likely spot). The Cowboys don’t have a 4th round pick and trading down there should get them an extra 3rd round pick.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Post#154 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

I meant more that he’s really young, super athletic, but raw. Size wise obviously Mims is bigger.

yeah I wasn't trying to call out your comparison, I'm just saying wow he is massive.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#155 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 pm

QB
1. Caleb Williams
2. Jayden Daniels
3. Drake Maye
4. Bo Nix
5. JJ McCarthy

WR/TE
1. Malik Nabers
2. Marvin Harrison
3. Rome Odunze
4. Brian Thomas
5. Brock Bowers

OL
1. Joe Alt
2. Amarius Mims
3. Taliese Fuaga
4. Troy Fautanu
5. JC Latham

DL
1. Dallas Turner
2. Laiatu Latu
3. Jared Verse
4. Byron Murphy
5. Johnny Newton

LB
1. Edgerrin Cooper
2. Payton Wilson
3. Junior Colson
4. Cedric Gray

DB
1. Quinyon Mitchell
2. Terrion Arnold
3. Nate Wiggins
4. Cooper DeJean
5. Tyler Nubin

I'm only prepared to give my final thoughts on the QB's at the moment. I haven't done a deep enough dive into the other positions as of yet.
Like I said in an earlier post, IMHO Drake Maye has the most raw talent of all the QB's in this draft. He has only 2 weaknesses, he needs to improve his footwork and work on being more consistent. He just needs to be reigned in a little and work on a few details like they did with Mahomes when he came out. If the right team drafting Maye will get a gem and he could turn out to be the best from this class when all said is done. What most of these sports talk people and mock draft experts are leaving out is Drake Maye did have the supporting cast and weapons like all of these other QB's had. In his case the numbers and analytics don't always tell the whole story in the whole scheme of things.
The only other Qb in this draft I would draft would be Micahel Penix Jr. Can't ever remember being so impresses with a guy in a big bowl game. I didn't think he or Washington had a chance against Texas at all. All that kid did was carve up the Longhorns and made it look easy. Not sure how far he drops in the draft but the Cowboys would be stupid not to take him if he's there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Seattle isn't sand bagging here hoping he will fall to them.
I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm not high on Williams at all. His size scares the hell out of me and too over rated. Don't think he will work out. I don't think any other the others will work out.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#156 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

QB
1. Caleb Williams
2. Jayden Daniels
3. Drake Maye
4. Bo Nix
5. JJ McCarthy

WR/TE
1. Malik Nabers
2. Marvin Harrison
3. Rome Odunze
4. Brian Thomas
5. Brock Bowers

OL
1. Joe Alt
2. Amarius Mims
3. Taliese Fuaga
4. Troy Fautanu
5. JC Latham

DL
1. Dallas Turner
2. Laiatu Latu
3. Jared Verse
4. Byron Murphy
5. Johnny Newton

LB
1. Edgerrin Cooper
2. Payton Wilson
3. Junior Colson
4. Cedric Gray

DB
1. Quinyon Mitchell
2. Terrion Arnold
3. Nate Wiggins
4. Cooper DeJean
5. Tyler Nubin

I'm only prepared to give my final thoughts on the QB's at the moment. I haven't done a deep enough dive into the other positions as of yet.
Like I said in an earlier post, IMHO Drake Maye has the most raw talent of all the QB's in this draft. He has only 2 weaknesses, he needs to improve his footwork and work on being more consistent. He just needs to be reigned in a little and work on a few details like they did with Mahomes when he came out. If the right team drafting Maye will get a gem and he could turn out to be the best from this class when all said is done. What most of these sports talk people and mock draft experts are leaving out is Drake Maye did have the supporting cast and weapons like all of these other QB's had. In his case the numbers and analytics don't always tell the whole story in the whole scheme of things.
The only other Qb in this draft I would draft would be Micahel Penix Jr. Can't ever remember being so impresses with a guy in a big bowl game. I didn't think he or Washington had a chance against Texas at all. All that kid did was carve up the Longhorns and made it look easy. Not sure how far he drops in the draft but the Cowboys would be stupid not to take him if he's there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Seattle isn't sand bagging here hoping he will fall to them.
I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm not high on Williams at all. His size scares the hell out of me and too over rated. Don't think he will work out. I don't think any other the others will work out.

After his pro day I don’t think Penix makes it to pick 24. If he does several teams will likely be looking to trade up in order to take him in the 1st (and get the 5th year option). I personally think he will be gone though.

If 5 QB’s go off the board before pick 24 then someone really good will be dropping. I still think that player will be WR Brian Thomas Jr.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#157 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:The only other Qb in this draft I would draft would be Micahel Penix Jr. Can't ever remember being so impresses with a guy in a big bowl game. I didn't think he or Washington had a chance against Texas at all. All that kid did was carve up the Longhorns and made it look easy. Not sure how far he drops in the draft but the Cowboys would be stupid not to take him if he's there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Seattle isn't sand bagging here hoping he will fall to them.

This is why you need to watch more Football out West. :wink:

Okay, having watched just about every game of his, the last two years, I'll give you my honest assessment of him. Fwiw, I've also watched him up close in person twice. Including the Oregon game in Seattle, last October.

Positives: He throws the prettiest ball you'll ever see. He can absolutely spin it. A lot of that is due to him having large hands. He makes some of the most outrageous throws that will wow you.

He's also clutch. Now, some of that was because he had a lot of help. The best trio of WR's in the country & an offensive line that won the Joe Moore award this past year. They had talent all over on that side of the ball. Best team that UW has had since 2016. Btw that team in 2016, had guys like John Ross & Vita Vea. But this team had far more talent.

In the right scheme, he could really thrive (High/Low reads). His numbers are great when using play action & taking shots down the field. He's the best deep ball thrower in this draft.

Negatives: Injury prone. It's a real concern. He had four season ending injuries at Indiana. Two ACL procedures on the same knee. It's why he wears a knee brace.

He also has a thin frame. I just don't think his body to built to take a lot of punishment. So, you have to take that into account with him. There were times even this past season that it looked like he was playing hurt. So, if you plan to have him as your starter, then you better have a quality backup on the roster.

He struggles when facing pressure. If you give him a clean pocket, he'll carve you up. But if you get to him, his numbers when pressured plummet.

This isn't necessarily a negative, but the one guy that he reminds me a lot of is Geno. A southpaw version. From a playstyle perspective. Penix has a better arm in my opinion. But both can absolutely spin the ball. While also at times making some questionable decisions under pressure.

This is why ultimately, I have him more as a 2nd round talent. Now, he might go somewhere in the backend of round one. But it's still a gamble.

It could be a complete smokescreen, but the Hawks have not shown a ton of interest in him so far. Which is a little odd, when you realize that his former OC at UW is now the current OC with the team. I mean, they traded for Sam Howell of all people.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#158 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 pm

One last thing on Penix.

I don't think he would fit in a more traditional West Coast offense. He's best throwing outside the numbers. Doesn't attack the middle of the field all that often. He played in a spread offense at UW.

McCarthy runs more of a WCO. Therefore, guys like Bo Nix & JJ McCarthy would be more in line for Dallas.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#159 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:58 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:The only other Qb in this draft I would draft would be Micahel Penix Jr. Can't ever remember being so impresses with a guy in a big bowl game. I didn't think he or Washington had a chance against Texas at all. All that kid did was carve up the Longhorns and made it look easy. Not sure how far he drops in the draft but the Cowboys would be stupid not to take him if he's there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Seattle isn't sand bagging here hoping he will fall to them.

This is why you need to watch more Football out West. :wink:

Okay, having watched just about every game of his, the last two years, I'll give you my honest assessment of him. Fwiw, I've also watched him up close in person twice. Including the Oregon game in Seattle, last October.

Positives: He throws the prettiest ball you'll ever see. He can absolutely spin it. A lot of that is due to him having large hands. He makes some of the most outrageous throws that will wow you.

He's also clutch. Now, some of that was because he had a lot of help. The best trio of WR's in the country & an offensive line that won the Joe Moore award this past year. They had talent all over on that side of the ball. Best team that UW has had since 2016. Btw that team in 2016, had guys like John Ross & Vita Vea. But this team had far more talent.

In the right scheme, he could really thrive (High/Low reads). His numbers are great when using play action & taking shots down the field. He's the best deep ball thrower in this draft.

Negatives: Injury prone. It's a real concern. He had four season ending injuries at Indiana. Two ACL procedures on the same knee. It's why he wears a knee brace.

He also has a thin frame. I just don't think his body to built to take a lot of punishment. So, you have to take that into account with him. There were times even this past season that it looked like he was playing hurt. So, if you plan to have him as your starter, then you better have a quality backup on the roster.

He struggles when facing pressure. If you give him a clean pocket, he'll carve you up. But if you get to him, his numbers when pressured plummet.

This isn't necessarily a negative, but the one guy that he reminds me a lot of is Geno. A southpaw version. From a playstyle perspective. Penix has a better arm in my opinion. But both can absolutely spin the ball. While also at times making some questionable decisions under pressure.

This is why ultimately, I have him more as a 2nd round talent. Now, he might go somewhere in the backend of round one. But it's still a gamble.

It could be a complete smokescreen, but the Hawks have not shown a ton of interest in him so far. Which is a little odd, when you realize that his former OC at UW is now the current OC with the team. I mean, they traded for Sam Howell of all people.

Penix reminds me so much of Kenny Stabler with a better arm. :D
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#160 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:06 pm

Mr B wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Marvin gets most of the spotlight. But Nabers is so dynamic with the ball in his hands, great route runner. He's electric. I love his game.

Yea Troy Fautanu might end up being a better Guard than Tackle. I just like both he and Taliese Fuaga. Both are big tough Polynesian players. Those guys are usually anchors and strong as hell. Mims definitely has more upside but these two are more NFL ready and both should be very good offensive lineman (tackle or guard).

I just heard and read (CBC Sports) that Jerry is looking to replace T. Smith with his first pick. There is some rumblings, rumors and now some mocks having the Cowboys making a huge trade with the Raiders and moving up to pick, #13, and taking this kid out of Penn State. Olumuyiwa Fashanu- 6"6"/ 317lbs. How would you like this guy Mr. B.? :eyebrows: Raiders think Penix will be at Cowboys pick @ 24.

Return to Dallas Cowboys