[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Calvin Johnson

Moderator: LyricalRico

jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Calvin Johnson 

Post#1 » by jmrosenth » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:57 pm

Seems like every team wants him, including the Redskins. Rumors are they are looking to move up. Can't say I would be shocked to see it happen.

What would it take and should the 'Skins do it?
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:34 pm

I would be against it because they would then have over $100M tied up in receivers for the next few years. That just doesn't make sense to me, especially considering their weaknesses on defense and the fact that (as much as we may like Campbell) the QB position is still a question mark.

Word is Atlanta wants Johnson (from nearby Georgia Tech) but he'll be gone by #8. What's interesting is that the Lions are rumored to be open to trading down from #2. I'm not sure what other assets the Falcons have to sweeten the pot to move up but it seems like that's a deal that could be in the works.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: Calvin Johnson 

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:40 pm

jmrosenth wrote:Seems like every team wants him, including the Redskins. Rumors are they are looking to move up. Can't say I would be shocked to see it happen.

What would it take and should the 'Skins do it?

This year's 1st round pick...and probably next year's first and additional pick(s) or player(s). It will be multiple first round picks for sure.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rod Strickland's Towel
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Rod Strickland's Towel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:21 pm

I'm terrified that the Danny will pull the trigger on this move. Johnson is like the shiny toy car that lil' Danny can't resist.

It has all the earmarks of a classic Skins blunder. Flashy pick, much coveted and hyped prospect, rampant media speculation, Skins would have to grossly overpay and part with countless draft picks, fills a postion that isn't of immediate need, ignores the more pressing needs of this team, short-sighted move.

Not only would the Skins have way too much cap money tied into their WRs, his impact would also be somewhat limited due to the Skins run-heavy focus with Portis and Betts. Simply put, he most likely wouldn't get enough touches to justify what it would take to get him. And speaking of cost, it would be astronomical. Denver is hot for him and is reportedly willing to give up their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year and a 1st next year. The Skins have too many holes on this squad to continue to give away draft picks.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#5 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:48 pm

I don't doubt Johnsons ability. Hes going to dominate since his first day in the NFL.

i don't want to trade the future for him but if it happens I'll be cool with it. Brandon Lloyd sucks attitude wise and on field wise.

Lloyd can be cut next season.

CJ, Moss, Portis, Betts, Cooley, Randle El will give a great safety net to Campbell. No denying that our offense will have the ability to score on ANY defense in the league.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:14 am

Gibbs has reportedly already mentioned possibly including next year's first in attempt to move up. I've got a sinking feeling that the Skins could put together a package like this for the #1 overall pick:

Campbell
McIntosh
2008 first

All that for a freaking WR and we would still have no QB. Maybe then they trade all of their lower round picks plus next year's second for a guy like Trent Green.

I know it sounds ridiculous but it's not out of the realm of possibility considering who we're dealing with - Danny who likes to make the big splash and Gibbs who probably still wants to make up for the Desmond Howard pick.

:nonono:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:22 pm

Nah, they wont trade Campbell. Look at what Denver wanted to give up, their picks up until the 3rd round of this year, plus their 2008 1st round pick and more picks after that IIRC.

Its gonna be picks and maybe one player (Springs?) but no way on Campbell.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#8 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:04 pm

I don't think Al Saunders ever had a tall WR in Kansas City either. When you think of it, we have the best running game in the NFL with a healthy Portis and Betts.

Campbell should just dominate next season with play action pass deep to Moss. Madden style :nod:
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#9 » by Higga » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:05 pm

I don't want CJ but I wouldn't cry if we got him. We'd have to give up a ton but our Offense would be downright dangerous.

Still, we need DL though.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.

Return to Washington Football Team