And1: 2,927

Lakers sign Tristan Thompson and Shaquille Harrison 

Post#1 » by tugs » Sun Apr 9, 2023 3:50 pm

Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Re: Lakers sign Tristan Thompson and Shaquille Harrison 

Post#2 » by Pythagoras » Sun Apr 9, 2023 6:54 pm

Tristan Thompson signing is a little strange. Is Bamba still not fully healthy?
Numbers rule the universe.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,252

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:01 am

I thought the deadline to sign players for the playoffs passed weeks ago?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#4 » by mighty_duck » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:39 am

Kilroy wrote:I thought the deadline to sign players for the playoffs passed weeks ago?

You might be thinking of the date that players need to be waived by another team, and are still playoff eligible. That was March 1st.
We can sign any such player until April 10th, and they can play in the playoffs.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,341

Post#5 » by TheHartBreakKid » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:42 am

Kilroy wrote:I thought the deadline to sign players for the playoffs passed weeks ago?

A player needed to be waved/bought out by March 1st to be eligible for the playoffs in his new team, but teams can still sign other free agents until the end of the regular season and have them be eligible for the playoffs.

TT didn't play this season so the March 1st deadline doesn't affect him. Harrison played 5 games with the Blazers in late march/early april, but I'm assuming since he wasn't signed to another team before the March 1st deadline, he also qualifies because the deadline doesn't apply to him either , even though he played for the Blazers after that date.

I hope that made sense lol. Basically, the deadline is only for players getting waved/bought out before March 1st, from my understanding. All players who were waved before that deadline, along with all players who hadn't played at all before that deadline are eligible as long they are signed by the end of the regular season.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#6 » by tugs » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:59 am

Yep, the others already mentioned re TT. As for Harrison, I think his 10-day lapsed already. Shouldn't count as a waived contract
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#7 » by stan francisco » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:38 pm

Harrison is a defensive guard. 2022 DPOY and 2022 ADT, G league. I like it. We needed this. He’ll get some burn when we’re in foul trouble.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
zuju
Senior
And1: 127

Post#8 » by zuju » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:53 am

TT is the insurance at the C position and a veteran presence. Experience playing with Bron. I am ok with it.

But, Reeds is also a very good defender who shoots well. I don't get why we sign Harrison and waive Reeds. For Harrison's playmaking?

If we want more playmaking, I would really take Rondo over Harrison. A player coach Bron and AD respect. A veteran presence to stablilize the team and youngings and even draw plays in clutch time which Ham is not good at. Defense may be a bit of a problem for him though which if he only plays for a limited stretch of time, we can live with it I think.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers