Mo Bamba: At what point a keeper?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Mo Bamba: At what point a keeper? 

Post#1 » by Vae Victus » Fri Apr 7, 2023 7:39 am

Lets assume Mo Bamba comes back healthy for action in the playoffs

He has a non-guaranteed deal next year worth 10.3mil, luxury tax implication wise it'll cost Jeannie Buss a good 25mil after repeater taxes are factored in. The team unlikely to just let DLo walk for nothing, he's gonna get re-signed or S&T, the Lakers cant afford to hemorrage talent, which means it's gonna cost money to keep all this talent.

What does Mo Bamba need to do to show that he's worth keeping on at 10.3mil for next season. Or no matter how well Bamba can do (within reason), you feel he's gonna be released as a lux tax casualty.

Realistically at the best end, Bamba will play 24 mins at the C, eating all of Wenyen's PT and allowing AD to play waaaaaay less C. Vando will also see less time at PF with AD playing more 4. Although more mins can be freed up with more jumbo LBJ at the 3 lineups.

I'd say that Bamba needs to provide 11 pts, 8 rebounds at solid efficiency and defense. Essentially he needs to replicate his 2021-2022 regular season stats. If Bamba shows he can fit in as a floor spacer 5 who protects the paint, and meshes well starting with LBJ + AD, then it should be a no brainer to keep him. Not gonna find a more impactful player with the tax MLE, and it's useful to have his salary on the books for a future trade.

I honestly was super excited at getting Bamba as he adds a much sorely needed element to the team, a big man who can space the floor, is long/athletic enough to challenge on D in the paint, and prevent AD from playing the 5 so much. His injury really put a damper on these hopes, but there's still time in the playoffs for him to earn a place in the rotation.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Re: Mo Bamba: At what point a keeper? 

Post#2 » by stan francisco » Fri Apr 7, 2023 11:22 am

His defense is good, so is his offense is, his lateral quickness, his feel for reading the game. He’s young, too.

In the playoffs it won’t be enough to be a big man short. AD can guard Giannis, Tatum, Leonard. But not Giannis and Lopez, Tatum and Williams, Leonard and Zubac, KD and Ayman. That’s too much in a seven game series, even for AD who is a historically great big man defender. We need Bamba back now.

I’d say the season (if we remain healthy) depends completely on Bamba’s return. We need two big men to get through this bunch of teams.

Good feet, but of course these reels only show blocks. His positional defense seemed pretty good in the few games he played for us so far.

With Bamba back, we can contend. Without him, I think we fall an inch short.

NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,080

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Fri Apr 7, 2023 2:13 pm

Barely an nba player, he’ll surely get released before the deadline when his contract becomes guaranteed.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,275

Post#4 » by heezyo2o » Fri Apr 7, 2023 5:10 pm

Lakers looking to sign Dlo, Reaves and Rui so I don't think they pay Bamba.
That_Casual
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#5 » by That_Casual » Fri Apr 7, 2023 7:29 pm

If he gets guaranteed its entirely to use him as a trade piece
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 322

Post#6 » by TimeisIllmatic » Sat Apr 8, 2023 12:32 am

I can't think of any free agent big men or trade targets that the Lakers can afford who are better than Bamba.

Maybe they guarantee his contract and if he doesn't play up to expectation next season, they trade him at the deadline.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,045

Post#7 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat Apr 8, 2023 2:18 am

He’s likely gone. He’s not very good and not at that kind of price
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,941

Post#8 » by ChettheJet » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:59 pm

Since he's so bad, what exactly would the Lakes be willing to add to a guaranteed Bamba in exchange for Alex Caruso?
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 477

Post#9 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:55 am

Hard to say because he hasn't played enough games as a Laker so it's hard to evaluate. Because we lack bigs I think we sign him on a fair deal.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,445

Post#10 » by Dr Aki » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:06 am

I still think he'll be needed when we start going against big center bodies.

Other side of the bracket has Zubac/Ayton/Jokic/Gobert
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,283

Post#11 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:35 am

You keep him for sure not great, but what else Is there at the center position. I'm not sure AD gonna last entire playoffs, you'll need him to shade some minutes off AD :) and also next season until you find something better
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#12 » by zuju » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:16 am

Still potential there. May not have the highest IQ, but with his very good physic, he can at least be a good rim protector and rebounder, a great lob threat and 3 point shooting threat on offensive end

Don't treat him as if he will become a star. Treat him as a role player. His price tag? I think is a bit too high, not shockingly high

Try to develop him a bit. Simplify his job duty first and add up one by one. Teach him the positioning and timing at the meantime. Even spend time on his offensive skill like sky hook in the offseason?

His length will be useful on Wemberyama.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

Post#13 » by Kilroy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:07 pm

Define "Keeper"... At the right price, I'd love to have him back... Young, athletic, long, and a natural shot blocker...

He's the kinda guy you can throw in for decent minutes in the reg season to keep AD as healthy as possible for the post season.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
That_Casual
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#14 » by That_Casual » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:04 pm

Package Beasley/Bamba/Harrison with both firsts and get back as great a player as you can.

Bron, AD, D’Lo, Reaves and another top talent is absolutely a title contending 5.

Back up 5 would have Rui and Vando, then one of Dennis or Troy on the MLE, and then find a couple guys on vet mins for the other 2 back up 5 roles.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Post#15 » by TylersLakers » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:11 pm

It comes down to the tax and the Buss family. If it was me, he'd be back for the sole purpose of being a regular season body and a contract to trade as the season goes on. Here's how our structure will likely look:

LeBron: $46.9
AD: $40.6
Vanderbilt: $4.7
Christie: $1.7

Total: $93.9
Salary Cap: $134M
Luxury Tax: $162M

- Reaves isn't going anywhere. The highest salary he'll have next year is around the MLE of $12M.
- Rui likely not going anywhere. He doesn't have the Arenas provision, but we do have his bird rights. Will $14M a season for a couple years get it done?
- D-Lo is likely staying unless he really struggles in the playoff run. My question: Which other teams who have cap space will want him? Here's the contenders:

Houston ($55M in space)
Spurs ($40M in space)
Jazz ($30M in space)
Thunder ($35M in space)
Pistons ($37M in space)
Pacers ($30M in space)
Orlando ($35M-40M in space)

Out of those teams - who wants D-Lo? Maybe Orlando? Maybe Houston?

The more likely scenario is he signs an extension with the Lakers at a team friendly number. I'd bet $20M a season.

So now you have:

Christie: $1.7
Reaves: $12
Rui: $15
D-Lo: $20

Total: $141M (Over the cap, $21 million under luxury tax)

If we waive Bamba, Beasley, we'll have a MLE of $12M to use and a BLE of around $5M to use. Those are good options to bring back Schroder to a deal or go sign someone else. It's not a deep free agent class. Harrison Barnes?

I would decline Beasley and re-sign him to a team friendly deal (3 years, 10M a season). He's a guy who can play 22-28 MPG in the regular season and do well. In the playoffs, it's tougher obviously but we'll see what happens over the course of the next couple weeks. Can he make shots enough to stay on the court?

With Bamba, I'd look to package him with Christie and our first round pick to upgrade talent. Alex Caruso? Dorian Finney Smith? Royce O'Neal? In my opinion, we need one more two-way player like that who can play in a playoff series. Use the tax MLE on Schroder. You then have a squad.

Reaves: $12
Rui: $15
D-Lo: $20
Beasley: $10
DFS: $14
Schroder: $7

Total: $170M (7 million over luxury tax). After you fill out the roster with the 2nd round pick and minimums, you're looking at $15M over which is $52.5M in a luxury tax payment. This year they paid $35M. Will the Buss family pay that? In my opinion - it's a no brainer. That roster is deep, will make the playoffs and after that year, you can pretty much cut ties with LeBron and go back to operating in a non luxury tax world.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#16 » by stan francisco » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:30 am

It’s time to spend, Jeannie.

Dr Buss always invested the extra dough when he could smell the championship. Next year might be Bron’s last elite productive year, who knows.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Post#17 » by TylersLakers » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:20 pm

stan francisco wrote:It’s time to spend, Jeannie.

Dr Buss always invested the extra dough when he could smell the championship. Next year might be Bron’s last elite productive year, who knows.

You're 100% correct. Whenever Dr. Buss knew he had a Championship team, he didn't worry one bit about paying the tax. If it meant going over to re-sign Lamar Odom and bringing in Ron Artest, he did it. Now or never.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers