ImageImageImageImageImage

Posey off the table

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,911

Re: Posey off the table 

Post#21 » by iamworthy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:57 pm

While this is a good pickup for the hornets, this doesn't put them over the top IMO. Im just glad he's off the Celtics. The West got a little tougher but not by much.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#22 » by semi-sentient » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:25 pm

semi-sentient wrote:Having said that, this will be offset by the fact that Lue is likely leaving the Hornets.

WTF? :crazy:

Nevermind. I mixed up Pargo and Lue.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#23 » by One Love » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:17 pm

I hate to tell you this but we aren't signing Turiaf and we aren't getting Artest if Thomas is involved in the deal due to our salary cap situation (assuming it doesn't change)... We will ride out this year with resigning Sasha, bringing in a veteran big man and working Bynum and Ariza back into the rotation... We made our big splash last year... We will be fine wth our roster...
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#24 » by Anklebreaker702 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 am

Phil_2.0 wrote:Posey signs with the Hornets. 4 year 25 million..

now its time to focus elsewhere

Focus is the key word Phil. We haven't did anything since the season ended except lose Turiaf. I'm glad he's off the C's but we need 2 do something good not just for the sake of making a move
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#25 » by Anklebreaker702 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:05 am

TylersLakers wrote:If we get Artest.. I can't believe we're willing to wreck this whole team, when we could have just used the safe option and signed Posey.

Tyler that's a great point. A lot of people don't want to face the fact that Artest could still be a loose cannon waiting to happen. If we get him hopefully he'll keep his head together but Posey was not only safe but a good option as well
VETERAN LAKER FAN
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#26 » by supaflash » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:37 am

btw I take back what I said about filling all the Hornet's needs. I really don't like John Hollinger but his article has a point and its a lot what I felt about him coming to LA. He does give a lot to Charlotte in clutch and the hustle and defense that Peja lacks but he's right in that he's not a great fill at SG or PF for them which is what they need. They have no frontcourt depth and it could slow the development of Wright. I guess they expect Wright to play SG? If they lose Pargo, where is their scoring on the second unit? Who is going to get Posey open threes if Paul is out...
3-Pt_Shooter
Senior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by 3-Pt_Shooter » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:20 am

Wow! Good pick up by the Hornets. That should be good enough to vault them into the Western Conference Finals with the Lake Show next season... Things could get very interesting.
mnkinga23
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#28 » by mnkinga23 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:31 am

One Love wrote:I hate to tell you this but we aren't signing Turiaf and we aren't getting Artest if Thomas is involved in the deal due to our salary cap situation (assuming it doesn't change)... We will ride out this year with resigning Sasha, bringing in a veteran big man and working Bynum and Ariza back into the rotation... We made our big splash last year... We will be fine wth our roster...

I'm in complete agreement with you on this...I'm thinking that we should bring in Kurt Thomas to take Ronny's spot and see how the team goes from there. The Artest trade is going to be there in February as well unless Dallas offers Josh Howard, and in that case we didn't have a shot anyway.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#29 » by RJM » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 am

DAMNIT!!!! :banghead:

I give up...let's get Artest.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#30 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 am

TylersLakers wrote:If we get Artest.. I can't believe we're willing to wreck this whole team, when we could have just used the safe option and signed Posey.
I disagree undoubtedly. Most of you are in denial about the need Artest brings. It seems most of you keep holding 2004 over his head.That was four years ago get over it. Tell me what has Ron done since then. You guys are taking one action in his life and holding it against him, when in fact he was actually defending himself.

Stern and Stu Jackson over reacted and the lengthy suspensions made it seem worse then it really was.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#31 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:10 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
I disagree undoubtedly. Most of you are in denial about the need Artest brings. It seems most of you keep holding 2004 over his head.That was four years ago get over it. Tell me what has Ron done since then. You guys are taking one action in his life and holding it against him, when in fact he was actually defending himself.

Stern and Stu Jackson over reacted and the lengthy suspensions made it seem worse then it really was.

+1
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#32 » by Anklebreaker702 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:14 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:

He was a very dirty player early in his career also deep3. I'm not holding it against him but the potential still exists
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#33 » by Dexmor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:35 pm

When was he on the table?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,586

Post#34 » by hermes » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 pm

^last week, but he was really, really close to the edge
so they weren't really serious about it
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#35 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Dexmor wrote:When was he on the table?

When was Posey on the table? Have you been keeping up with everything that is going on?
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Dexmor
Head Coach

Post#36 » by Dexmor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Yeah and we had no chance at him ever. He never mentioned the Lakers.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:23 pm

Dexmor wrote:Yeah and we had no chance at him ever. He never mentioned the Lakers.

wrong. we did have a shot at him and his agent did mention the Lakers.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:31 pm

The Lakers have talked with representatives of Boston small forward James Posey and veteran San Antonio sharpshooter Brent Barry to gauge the free agents' interest.

Posey, though, is studying his options, primarily on championship contenders that include the Lakers, said his agent, Mark Bartelstein.

"I would say so," Bartelstein said. "When you get a taste of a championship, you want to keep winning them. The Lakers are a great team."
Dexmor
Head Coach

Post#39 » by Dexmor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 pm

Mentioned like in the begining like when agents name off like 8 teams? The Hornets and the Celtics were the main players in the Posey raise.
You guys thought we really had a shot?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,586

Post#40 » by hermes » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:57 pm

i'm a blind optimist, so yes

Return to Los Angeles Lakers