ImageImageImageImageImage

Bynum out / C addition talk, MERGED

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

8'sReverse
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#341 » by 8'sReverse » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:17 pm

djericho wrote:Hate to break this too you but webber isn't that smart...

timeout in the NCAA championship..... :roll:
... was more than 14 years ago, in college. Please, whether YOU think he's smart or not, he's still smarter than Kwame.
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
SnakeEyez
Senior
And1: 0

Post#342 » by SnakeEyez » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:19 pm

djericho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hate to break this too you but webber isn't that smart...

Neither are the 75% of people who post here but we still let them post.

Webber was a kid when he did that get over it. Webber equals Ring when Bynum comes back thats why he is coming to the Lakers.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#343 » by TonyMontana » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 pm

djericho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hate to break this too you but webber isn't that smart...

Him , his uncle , his aunt and half of his moms side of the family had money on that game . :rofl: :rofl:
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#344 » by El Hardee » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Corvus Crow wrote:Sign Webber. Ballaboveall is right about the other centers... the Suns have made it trendy to go away from traditional centers(which is why Andrew kills them).

As bad as our post D was last night, and as much as we scored, we could use Webber's offense considering Kwame's got nothing down the stretch. Vs the Sonics he did all he could to scratch a pair of free throws and ugly ugly ugly hooks.
Kwame is terrible,he is the most unskilled guy I have ever seen in P&G, the dude is absolute garbage, if not for his size he would be in the unemployment line. Anyone who can catch is a upgrade, it was embarrasing to watch him last night. I watched it on league pass and they showed the Seattle broadcast. Snapper Jones was just at a lost of words on how terrible that bum is. We can not allow him to embarrass our great franchise any longer. Kwame for Chuck Nevitt or Mike Smrek, Do it Mitch!
BallAboveAll
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#345 » by BallAboveAll » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:46 pm

I think we are being a little too harsh on Kwame. I didn't catch the game because I was at school. With Kwame I expect him to settle down and play solid, not great but decent.

Remember he's coming off of injury and things develop a little slower with him. I think after a few more games he should be alright.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#346 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Bring back Mark Madsen. I'm serious.

C Web is a dead horse. He is a very good passer and a smart player but, due to age and a droopy leg, he's a greater liability on defense than he is an asset on offense. I say no to C Web because he's too old. What scoring punch he brings would be better served by other guys like Doleac.

PJ? Sure. How can we get that done?

What about that kid from summer camp? Was his name Larry Turner or something like that? The guy who rebounded a lot... I don't know, maybe he has an IQ of a sea gull and belongs in the NBDL. Does anyone know his game well? We need a rebounding machine/hustle big.

What's the scoop on Ratliff? He's a player I haven't paid much attention to through the years. Does he suck arse? IQ? Personality? Kwame and Sasha for Ratliff and Green? I don't see why they would take Kwame over Ratliff since he's an $11M expiring himself. To save some chump change this year?

Mbenga strikes me as a very unpolished player, a bit of a foul machine. Has a big body that can bang up opposing bigs, though. I just don't like that type of player because it puts opponents at the stripe, which ruins the flow of the game.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#347 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:13 pm

i dont care if he is undersized. his effort is so much greater than kwame's that his net impact on the court is more positive than kwame's.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#348 » by realfung » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:32 pm

If Turiaf starts, its going be 0-4 for the Lakers.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,592

Post#349 » by hermes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:38 pm

lots of kwame haters

who knew
J Rob
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#350 » by J Rob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:40 pm

BallAboveAll wrote:I think we are being a little too harsh on Kwame. I didn't catch the game because I was at school. With Kwame I expect him to settle down and play solid, not great but decent.

Remember he's coming off of injury and things develop a little slower with him. I think after a few more games he should be alright.

Its not his speed or athletecism that's a problem, its his horrible decision making.

I honestly don't even know why his teammates give him the ball on the low block.

He drops 1 out of every 2 passes that come his way.

3 out of 4 times he actually catches the ball you either get...
a.) A turnover (travelling, charge, etc.)
b.) The ugliest, most awkward offensive move I've every seen.

Kwame is by far worse now than he was 2 years ago when he first came to the Lakers.

I'd be hardpressed to find a worse pair of hands or feel for the game in the entire NBA.
J Rob
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#351 » by J Rob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Erik Eleven wrote:What's the scoop on Ratliff? He's a player I haven't paid much attention to through the years. Does he suck arse? IQ? Personality? Kwame and Sasha for Ratliff and Green? I don't see why they would take Kwame over Ratliff since he's an $11M expiring himself. To save some chump change this year?

I think he's only played in about 6 games all year. But his shotblocking would be great for this team if he could stay healthy.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,592

Post#352 » by hermes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:47 pm

yikes
um getting back on track

i don't like ben wallace or his contract, which is a big reason we won't go after him

maybe a PJ Brown, but yes a defensive minded big man is a priority right now
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,420

Post#353 » by Danny Darko » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 pm

Erik Eleven wrote:Bring back Mark Madsen. I'm serious.

C Web is a dead horse. He is a very good passer and a smart player but, due to age and a droopy leg, he's a greater liability on defense than he is an asset on offense. I say no to C Web because he's too old. What scoring punch he brings would be better served by other guys like Doleac.

PJ? Sure. How can we get that done?

Hmmm, for me I think PJ is avoiding playing again. So he might have worse legs right now. Webb is just sizing teams up and is likely in ok shape. Petrified bigs... both of them.

What's the scoop on Ratliff? He's a player I haven't paid much attention to through the years. Does he suck arse? IQ? Personality? Kwame and Sasha for Ratliff and Green? I don't see why they would take Kwame over Ratliff since he's an $11M expiring himself. To save some chump change this year?

i think he's basically something they will hold on to in order to make some cap room. He's still above avg on D, but lacks offense... with the lack of triangle experience, sadly I take Kwame by a hair.

I'm assuming that if we brought in Marc Gasol, we'd have some weird contract problem that would expose him in the offseason. Otherwise... either Phil loves Webber or doesn't trust a non NBA player regardless of international credentials.
zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#354 » by zen_4_10 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:11 pm

I'd prefer Turiaf starting against certain line ups, like the Suns. Amare demolishes Kwame while Ronny's activity keeps him more down to earth.
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#355 » by SashAlex » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Bring the "Mad Dog" back, Mitch ! Do it !
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#356 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:20 pm

hermes wrote:lots of kwame haters

who knew

Rest assured that every loss will be pinned on him because he doesn't perform as well as Bynum, while conveniently overlooking that our supposed 2nd option is out there shooting 3-15 and our backup C manages to grab a whopping 2 rebounds and sends guys to the foul line left and right. The problem with this is that we can't expect Kwame to be our 2nd option scoring-wise, because he's never been that type of player, at least not with the Lakers. If he returns to the player that he was last year though, then I think we'll be in excellent shape.

I like Turiaf and all, but it's quite ridiculous to suggest that he should be starting over Kwame, unless we're planning on making a run at the lottery. Turiaf, more times than not, has really disappointed me this season. He comes up with some great plays, but he completely negates them with stupid fouls, turnovers, and a lack of rebounding. Turiaf is much better suited as our backup PF, so we can't expect him to be our starting C and replace even a fraction of what Bynum brought to the table.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#357 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:23 pm

^ :nod:
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm

zen_4_10 wrote:I'd prefer Turiaf starting against certain line ups, like the Suns. Amare demolishes Kwame while Ronny's activity keeps him more down to earth.

This is what opposing C's have did against Kwame when he started early in the season, at least the notable ones:

Amare: 1-7 FG, 1 Rebound
Okur: 2-7 FG, 5 Rebounds
Yao: 6-13 FG, 9 Rebounds

You seriously think Turiaf can handle any of those guys? Amare would eat him up, and I'm sure the others would as well, especially Yao.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#359 » by zen_4_10 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:43 pm

semi-sentient wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This is what opposing C's have did against Kwame when he started early in the season, at least the notable ones:

Amare: 1-7 FG, 1 Rebound
Okur: 2-7 FG, 5 Rebounds
Yao: 6-13 FG, 9 Rebounds

You seriously think Turiaf can handle any of those guys? Amare would eat him up, and I'm sure the others would as well, especially Yao.

Only Amare - Yes I think Turiaf is a better option since he has PROVEN it more than one occasion in the past. Against bigger centers Kwame should start. I think it should depend on the line up we are facing.

The first game against the Suns this year and Amare's poor night was in no way shape or form soley due to Kwame. Turiaf was a starter as well and was often providing weakside help and when Bynum was in abused Amare.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#360 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:49 pm

zen_4_10 wrote:The first game against the Suns this year and Amare's poor night was in no way shape or form soley due to Kwame. Turiaf was a starter as well and was often providing weakside help and when Bynum was in abused Amare.

So why not replace Odom with Turiaf instead? ;)

You're right -- Kwame did have help, but if Turiaf goes one-on-one with Amare, it's not going to be pretty. Kwame, by himself, will force Amare to be an outside shooter, which is exactly what you want. Turiaf lacks the size, IMO, to keep a guy like Amare out of the paint, and he fouls too much.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers