ImageImageImageImageImage

Gasol in game 5

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Gasol in game 5 

Post#1 » by soxfan2003 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:25 am

Celtic fan here but I call them like I see them and right now I would say the Lakers have about a 35-40% chance to win the series so this series is far from over even though I wish it was. Both teams are fairly evenly matched but unfortunately LA has the HCA for the series.

Anyways, Pau Gasol is getting criticized by some members of the media and even in these boards for his game 5 performance. Or he is being given a pass for having his first "bad game".

I don' t think the numbers lie in this instance but they aren't being looked at objectively simply because the Lakers lost the game. He had 12 rebounds in game 5 including 7 offensive rebounds. And 2 steals. The Celtics only had 8 offensive rebounds as a team. Sure, he just shot 5 for 12 but realistically that would have probably been 6 for 12 if not for a truly spectacular play/block by Tony Allen. In addition, the Celtics have been sending some of their best and fresh defenders at Gasol. He has been covered by KG, Perkins and Wallace. None of these 3 defenders is as good as Tony Allen, who has done a great job on Kobe in limited minutes, but they are all better then Ray Allen on defense. To be fair to Kobe, he played spectacular in the second half of game 5 but for the series I still think by a slim margin Gasol has been the best Laker in the series. His play has forced the Celtics to double him more then they would like to do.

Odom played well in game 5 but the other Lakers on the bench didn't.

Ever since the games played in LA, Artest has been the Lakers starter whose offense has hurt the Lakers the most. He has missed shots and enabled the Celtics to cheat off of him at times but it's not like he is bricking most of his shots. Ray Allen has gone into a massive funk from the 3 point line despite 2/3rds of those shots being very good looks so even all time great outside shooters can go into slumps.

Even though I fully expected LA to increase its intensity, I am actually still very impressed this series with the Lakers effort. It is far superior to the uneven effort I saw the Lakers do against Phoenix. Despite his bad series offensively, you have to give Artest some of the credit for the Lakers increased toughness. They really have played hard every game and the Celtics have too even though in game one it looked as though the Celtics lacked effort.

The Celtics lost the turnover battle in game 5 and the battle of the boards and that realistically can't happen if the Lakers aren't putting forth a great physical effort given the Bynum just got 1 rebound. Some of the Celtics increased turnovers is a result of risky passers that can result in easier shots if the ball isn't turned over.

But as a Celtic fan I am concerned with turnovers/rebounding and Ray Allen's 3 point shooting funk.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: Gasol in game 5 

Post#2 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:37 am

Long post.........saying nothing. If you think LO had a good game, dude you're blind as hell or don't know ball. Now I'm the one who calls it as he sees it, man you don't post on this board on a regular to see how hard we ride Pau, the names we have for him when he "tweaks" out.

You Celtic fans are riding high, turn over the hour glass and watch every grain slowly.......heed my warning. Everything I saw in the last 6 minutes tells me the Celtics are in serious serious trouble and the time is running out. For one they won't get the close momentum changing calls, they won't get more free throw attempts because they are a perimeter team with no interior scoring. Which will be exposed big time here in LA.

One common thing stands out when the Celtics lose, when teams match their energy or exceed it........they lose EVERY TIME. Reason being they can't sustain effort especially in the 4th quarters.

But keep gloating playa........keep gloating.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#3 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:40 am

Gasol got scratched up big time in game 5 and then he didnt deliver.

Kobe & Fish are big time clutch gamers

Gasol, Bynum, LO, Artest & our bench are not until they prove they can be.

I hope for my teams sake that a few of them thrive because the pressure is on!
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#4 » by soxfan2003 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:25 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Long post.........saying nothing. If you think LO had a good game, dude you're blind as hell or don't know ball. Now I'm the one who calls it as he sees it, man you don't post on this board on a regular to see how hard we ride Pau, the names we have for him when he "tweaks" out.

You Celtic fans are riding high, turn over the hour glass and watch every grain slowly.......heed my warning. Everything I saw in the last 6 minutes tells me the Celtics are in serious serious trouble and the time is running out. For one they won't get the close momentum changing calls, they won't get more free throw attempts because they are a perimeter team with no interior scoring. Which will be exposed big time here in LA.

One common thing stands out when the Celtics lose, when teams match their energy or exceed it........they lose EVERY TIME. Reason being they can't sustain effort especially in the 4th quarters.

But keep gloating playa........keep gloating.

I know my ball but I won't get into that here. I've always maintained this series could go either way since the teams are fairly evenly matched. Fisher and especially Artest have been shooting worse then expected but so hasn't Ray Allen ever since hitting all of those 3's in game 2.

As for Odom, in game 5.

26 minutes. 8 rebounds/3 offensive. 2 assists 2 steals 3 turnovers 8 points. 4-6 from the field and 0-2 from the line.

Odom was the only Laker to have a positive +- rating for the game. He was plus 7. And unlike game 4, a Celtic back up like Davis didn't abuse him on the defensive end.

Regardless of the numbers, Odom had a good game 5. For the series, he has shot over 56%. If it wasn't because of the nice CA weather, if I was a player like Odom, I may want to leave the Lakers team and go to team like Cleveland in which I could be better appreciated while having more opportunities to show off my skills. (Odom would probably be the second best player on the Cavaliers right now) I am not saying Odom has played very well overall in this series, he hasn't since his d has been lacking at times but he is converting at a very good rate in the very limited offensive chances he does get.

I would actually love to have Odom coming off the bench on the Celtics for the next 2 years.
Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#5 » by Father Time » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Numbers don't do justice to how poorly both Odom and Gasol played in game 5. Neither of them made much impact at all at either end.
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.
crazy8ights
Analyst
And1: 75

Post#6 » by crazy8ights » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Cool story OP I'm pretty hard on Gagina...
laka4life
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#7 » by laka4life » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:35 pm

crazy8ights wrote:Cool story OP I'm pretty hard on Gagina...

Yes Crazy, Paussy "Takes Pipe Like Jenna Jamison" Gagina has returned and tonight I will be unleashing all sorts of new names if that doesn't change.
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#8 » by iQon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:18 pm

You play too much fantasy basketball if +/- stats is the base of your argument for a good game. Odom played ok at spots, but there was nothing special about him in Game 5.
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#9 » by laduane1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 pm

The Lakers seem tired. This is why no one should play any summer ball or anything for the USA team or any team for there country. The Lakers just need to give them the all out hell and go down fighting. Time is now to do whatever you can do. Step up or its over.
crazy8ights
Analyst
And1: 75

Post#10 » by crazy8ights » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:59 pm

laka4life wrote:

Yes Crazy, Paussy "Takes Pipe Like Jenna Jamison" Gagina has returned and tonight I will be unleashing all sorts of new names if that doesn't change.

Where you been at my dude. Remember we said we'd lay off Pau if he showed up in this series so far :-? its open season on his ass.
aroba
Senior
And1: 43

Post#11 » by aroba » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:50 am

Is Gallina, not gagina dudes :wink:

wanna open a Gasol in game 6 or we just kick his ass when he plays poorly?
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#12 » by DubaLakers » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:06 am

35-40% chance to win the series? Vegas before game 6 had the Lakers favored by 3 at home.

Ray is in a shooting slump because of his legs, he said that in the presser.
anuroc
Junior
And1: 19

Post#13 » by anuroc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Some of you would deserve a Pau Gasol for Rashard Lewis trade.
RipCityLives
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#14 » by RipCityLives » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 am

Official "Im Sorry Pau" aswell ??? :lol: :lol:
Profanity
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#15 » by Profanity » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:46 am

anuroc wrote:Some of you would deserve a Pau Gasol for Rashard Lewis trade.

Nope. A Pau gasol for "truewarrior toffintense" Varejao trade... only him would match the toughness of some "knowleage" fans.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers