ImageImageImageImageImage

Did We Just Draft Rudy Gay?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Re: Did We Just Draft Rudy Gay? 

Post#21 » by supaflash » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Honestly I didn't really like this pick. I saw him a few games this year and thought he looked really shakey and unpolished. I thought there were a few more polished guys that while maybe they won't become stars or even starters, would be better suited to contribute small minutes to this team.

Just don't think we needed a project. He does remind me a ton of Trevor coming out of college, but the big difference is Trev was only a freshman. I would expect Ebanks to be a bit better at this point and that worries me, especially his shot.

That said, the youth and athleticism isn't too bad of a thing and he has a shot. He could really learn from Kobe and Ron.

Doesn't matter though, we needed impact from a FA more then a 50+ pick.

PS... I think leaving Gani Lawall on the board that late twice was a big mistake...
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#22 » by Gek » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:27 pm

LApwnd wrote:here we go again, didn't we draft Ray Allen 2.0 in Von Wafer?

I can't believe we let Von Wafer slip through our fingers in FA.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
Gek
RealGM

Post#23 » by Gek » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 pm

supaflash wrote:Honestly I didn't really like this pick. I saw him a few games this year and thought he looked really shakey and unpolished. I thought there were a few more polished guys that while maybe they won't become stars or even starters, would be better suited to contribute small minutes to this team.

Just don't think we needed a project. He does remind me a ton of Trevor coming out of college, but the big difference is Trev was only a freshman. I would expect Ebanks to be a bit better at this point and that worries me, especially his shot.

That said, the youth and athleticism isn't too bad of a thing and he has a shot. He could really learn from Kobe and Ron.

Doesn't matter though, we needed impact from a FA more then a 50+ pick.

PS... I think leaving Gani Lawall on the board that late twice was a big mistake...

He's a sophmore that was competing with a player with an extremely similar style to him in Dasean Butler and he did well as he grew up.

I always liked this view on Draft Express and I think it speaks a lot for the potential talent of a player that a few years of go would have made the HS jump.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dev ... t-history/
#teamhermes
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#24 » by DubaLakers » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:25 am

If I saw that grainy video and he had a Memphis jersey on instead of a WV jersey on I wouldn't blink twice, "Nice Rudy Gay highlight clip," I'd say ;).

He was on everyones board to go late first, and D Caracter was also slotted earlier.

According to most experts the Lakers had the best second round of ANY TEAM. "A" grades across the board.

I'm excited.
wilhelmthe1st
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#25 » by wilhelmthe1st » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:29 am

"Just don't think we needed a project. "

Why not? We sure as hell don't have any others. Who has Kobe took under his wing? Sasha? Ammo? If the Lakers hold onto him, Ebanks will be the Lakers future starting SF once Artest grows older in a few years.
Gek
RealGM

Post#26 » by Gek » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 pm

If I were the Lakers I would sign this kid to a multi year non-guaranteed contract. Start him at like 750k and go up to like 2 mil or something... or do the last year on the contract a player option and the year before that a team option - so we have time to sign him to an extension if he is worth it...
#teamhermes
daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#27 » by daddyfivestar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

^ that's what Houston did with Budinger and Taylor. Smart move. Signed them 3 yrs at 780k, 885k, 950k ish, with team options on all. Morey thinks outside the box.
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#28 » by iQon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Speaking of Ariza; am I the only person who was just happy we got rid of Brian Cook?

I had no expectations from Ariza, his performance always felt like a bonus... like his Christmas dunk on Grant Hill officially killing the Suns. :D
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#29 » by chefy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:06 pm

iQon wrote:Speaking of Ariza; am I the only person who was just happy we got rid of Brian Cook?

I had no expectations from Ariza, his performance always felt like a bonus... like his Christmas dunk on Grant Hill officially killing the Suns. :D

lol and ariza killed the magic in the finals...man that's gotta hurt for the magic :lol:
rugby-hook
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#30 » by rugby-hook » Thu Jul 1, 2010 3:55 am

Like all of us, I was surprised with the pick. Would have like Willie Warren because he has size and PG capabilities. Phil is better with rookies than most people give him credit. He player Farmar and others. Ebanks will be th 11th player on teh roster with a chance to get some run. The ball is in his court and we can get a good contract because of the pending lockout. Caracter should also make the team and will be replacing powell.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers