ImageImageImageImageImage

WT:Lakers have had internal discussions about Smith

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Re: WT:Lakers have had internal discussions about Smith 

Post#41 » by ROballer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:In a league where Lopez, Eric Gordon, Hibbert, get max deals and where the deandre jordans of the world get 11 million a year or Asik gets 15 million a year he is without a doubt getting the max offers from multiple teams.

If we win the ring who gives a **** how much he'll get?It's beyond stupid to not make moves based on a fairytale in which Love or others fall into our laps god knows how many years from now

We need to squeeze the rings now,when Nash and Kobe are still playing.....not worry about our cap situation 2-3 years from now

If a move that improves our team is within reach,we **** do it..... and I believe this is one of those moves
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#42 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Except it doesnt improve our chances. I dont want Josh anywhere near a system that encourages him to shoot. A system that is designed for offensive players a whole lot more than defensive ones.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#43 » by Mirjalovic » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:36 pm

^ I dont think Pau "gets a ton of wide open shots" is relevant here. If anything he seems lost since Bynum emerging. Why ? Because he is not Lakers 1st option in the post anymore, thats belong to Howard now.

Thats why Phil Jackson rarely play Bynum & Pau together, but Pau/LO or Bynum/LO.

as a shooter Pau > Josh, wide open or not.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#44 » by Kobe System » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I'd rather have Bargnani and Calderon for Pau and Blake.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#45 » by dockingsched » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:50 pm

ROballer wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:This board needs a separate thread dedicated to complaining about Pau since he is always the first to be blamed for everything that goes wrong. lol

anyways Pau showed that he is once again more than capable of spreading the floor in D'Antoni's offense as shown in last night's game.

.I rather have a player who sucks just as much from midrange

this is so off its not even funny. smith is an entirely different level of suck for mid-range jumpers. he's never cracked the 40% mark for 16-23 footers, and he's currently shooting 24% from there.

pau has only shot below 40% once in his career from that range, and it was his 2nd season. two and three yrs ago he shot nearly 50% from that range. please don't ever compare the two like that.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#46 » by theFRANCHISE » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:59 pm

No on Josh Smith for Pau?
What about Love?
I'd rather have Bargnani & Calderon?

The basketball IQ in this thread is a little bit suspect.
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
ROballer
General Manager

Post#47 » by ROballer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:34 pm

dockingsched wrote:
ROballer wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:This board needs a separate thread dedicated to complaining about Pau since he is always the first to be blamed for everything that goes wrong. lol

anyways Pau showed that he is once again more than capable of spreading the floor in D'Antoni's offense as shown in last night's game.

this is so off its not even funny. smith is an entirely different level of suck for mid-range jumpers. he's never cracked the 40% mark for 16-23 footers, and he's currently shooting 24% from there.

pau has only shot below 40% once in his career from that range, and it was his 2nd season. two and three yrs ago he shot nearly 50% from that range. please don't ever compare the two like that.

When I'm talking about midrange I'm taking into account shots from 10-15 feet too....Surpinsingly or not Smith shot better THIS year than Pau on those attempts(3-9 feet too....the only advantage Pau has is it in 16-23)

I exagerrated with the "as much " reference,but not with the "SUCKS" one...or do you find 37% not suck worthy?Because that's what he was shooting before last night's game(hoopdata hasn't updated the new figures yet)

Don't bring stats from 2 or 3 years ago......2 years ago he shot 2.8 attempts(48%),3 years ago he shot 1.6 attempts(49%)
When his volume raised his efficiency dropped....last year 4.1 attempts(43%),this year 5.1 attempts(37%)

So ,from 16-23 he is indeed better than Smith,but he's still average to below average....it's not really an argument to keep him and not deal for Smith and frankly,I haven't heard one from anybody until now

Low IQ player(allegedly)
He'll ask for the MAX and we're saving money for Love
Pau's better from midrange(16-23 feet)..
etc...

I need better than that

Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#48 » by Kalidogg24 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:39 pm

theFRANCHISE wrote:No on Josh Smith for Pau?
What about Love?
I'd rather have Bargnani & Calderon?

The basketball IQ in this thread is a little bit suspect.

I'd be down to trade for Josh Smith if the Hawks would take Steve Blake, Earl Clark, and maybe Morris and ship Jeff Teague to Los Angeles.

If Kevin Love was even remotely possible it's a no brainer .
Two best rebounders on the same team in D12 and Love would be amazing
but clean out your pipe because its all a dream.

I like Bargnani too bad he's a terrible defender and rebounder.
Calderon would be rejuvenated playing in L.A with Pau. Not traded for him.
REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#49 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Pairing up Josh and Metta to spread the floor for Dwight in D'Antoni's system and people don't see how that' s a bad idea. I give up. sigh
Stebo_SSK
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#50 » by Stebo_SSK » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:12 pm

People that think Josh Smith is anything other than a downgrade for Pau are guys that only watch youtube highlights. I challenge any of you to get a Synergy account and go watch a few Hawks games then report back.
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#51 » by Run-MKE 311 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Not a Josh Smith guy, I would rather stick with Pau. The less of the two evils.
Ball so hard.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#52 » by chefy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:25 pm

no.please.no
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#53 » by The Prodigy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 pm

While I think it's a good idea to trade Pau and replace him with a more modern PF, I don't think Josh Smith is the guy. As someone already mentioned, he's great for highlight dunks and blocks but fundamentally he's a train wreck.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#54 » by BEazy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:54 pm

If Mitch pulls this off..... :bowdown:

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#55 » by BEazy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:58 pm

GoldKnightRises wrote:I think its bogus, media has been pushing for this trade to happen.

Josh Smith is a good player with speed & athleticism, but no IQ.

Ill go with IQ down the stretch...

Like how Pau shot a 3 pointer at the end of the game instead of throwing it down low for a better percentage shot??

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#56 » by Kilroy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Dock threw up in his mouth a little bit right now...

I really hope we aren't making any crack personnel decisions without D'Antoni even coaching a game yet.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by dockingsched » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:18 pm

ROballer wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
ROballer wrote:

When I'm talking about midrange I'm taking into account shots from 10-15 feet too....Surpinsingly or not Smith shot better THIS year than Pau on those attempts(3-9 feet too....the only advantage Pau has is it in 16-23)

this yr is only what, 9 games in and you want to boast about smith being better from 10-15? here is pau's percentages from 10-15 the last few yrs rounded off: 43, 43, 44, 52, 42, 42, 52.

here are smith's: 34, 31, 29, 23, 24

lets just stop comparing them please. no need to further discuss.

and yes kilroy, vomit was certainly a reaction of mine when i hear josh smith's name and the lakers in the same story.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
ROballer
General Manager

Post#58 » by ROballer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 pm

My point was clear from the beginning....they both suck from midrange
No matter how you want to spin it,using what ranges you want to use

Yes,Gasol sucks less than Smith...so what?That doesn't make him an elite floor spacer ,one of the points some of here use in displaying their displeasure in acquiring Smith

It's like the debate from the beginning of the season ..Blake vs Duhon,who sucks less and is worthy of the backup PG spot

Gasol's the better offensive player(but the difference isn't that big as it would've been if Pau operated more often in the post,where he has a clear advantage over Smith),Smith is a significantly better defender,they both are comparable passers and rebounders and Smith is 6 yrs younger,faster and way more athletic

If we'd run the Princenton offense or the triangle,I'd rather keep Gasol.....but in a D'Antoni offense,give me Smith

leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#59 » by leeprettyp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:52 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. WHY ARE WE CONTENT ON TRADING PAU LIKE HE'S TRASH.....

Man Josh Smith isnt near the player that Pau Gasol is. Pau is a WINNER and is too skilled to just be putting out there on the trade block every week smh. Lets move on and get accumulated to this new system. Stop trying to trade Pau Gasol unless its for Dirk and thats not happening so lets move on smh!!! :evil:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by dockingsched » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 pm

gasol doesn't suck from midrange. i don't think you're aware of "going rate" of what people shoot from 16-23 ft.

kobe's 16-23 career numbers: 41, 38, 41, 42, 38, 42.

dirk himself, arguably the best shooting big man ever, is in the high 40's, low 50's. pau is closer to him than he is to josh smith's level of suck.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers