ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2014 Free Agency discussion

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,828

Re: Official 2014 Free Agency discussion 

Post#2601 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Do you guys do a 'predict the season win total' thread here? I'd be really curious to see the responses.

I would guess .500 or slightly better which isn't bad, just not a 'up and coming' .500 record where you're expecting another similar jump next year.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,767

Post#2602 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 am

haven't seen a thread with these many pages since the the first ten community threads.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#2603 » by lakersin4 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Hopefully we add Beasley & that's it for now.

Boozer, Davis, Beasley, keeping Young for MLE money & Hill(essentially 1 yr contract) has to be looked at as a solid free agency. I don't think they made 1 mistake.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,416

Post#2604 » by Danny Darko » Mon Aug 4, 2014 10:40 pm

dang... Marion is scoping the Cavs
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#2605 » by LApwnd » Mon Aug 4, 2014 11:03 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Hopefully we add Beasley & that's it for now.

Boozer, Davis, Beasley, keeping Young for MLE money & Hill(essentially 1 yr contract) has to be looked at as a solid free agency. I don't think they made 1 mistake.

dont think its all that "great," was good but could've been better. Overpaying Hill for flexibility took us out of running for Lance, his contract would've given us great flexbility as well as there's a team option for 2016, same time Kobe is done as well. Hill might have been willing to take deal similar to Young but obviously who would take more money on shorter term deal.
lakersin4
Starter

Post#2606 » by lakersin4 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 11:22 pm

LApwnd wrote:

dont think its all that "great," was good but could've been better. Overpaying Hill for flexibility took us out of running for Lance, his contract would've given us great flexbility as well as there's a team option for 2016, same time Kobe is done as well. Hill might have been willing to take deal similar to Young but obviously who would take more money on shorter term deal.
Who are our Centers if we pay Lance instead of J Hill? Davis & Sacre? Lance isn't worth that misery. I expect Charlotte to regret that contract quickly anyway. Hill is a 1 year deal if we want it to be, nothing to regret.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#2607 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:59 am

Danny Darko wrote:dang... Marion is scoping the Cavs

Hes chasing for a ring now 8-)
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#2608 » by LApwnd » Tue Aug 5, 2014 2:52 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

Who are our Centers if we pay Lance instead of J Hill? Davis & Sacre? Lance isn't worth that misery. I expect Charlotte to regret that contract quickly anyway. Hill is a 1 year deal if we want it to be, nothing to regret.

as I noted, Hill would've taken the same deal as Young if we offered but of course who would turn down more money on a shorter deal? Hill is worth 4-5mill a year, he took the deal we gave him because it works for both sides, he gets his money we get short term flexibility. As far as lance, we'll see but the value and terms of his contract he'd best to keep his best behavior and play above and beyond otherwise he's at Cha. mercy and would be screwing himself over.
lakersin4
Starter

Post#2609 » by lakersin4 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 3:56 pm

LApwnd wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

as I noted, Hill would've taken the same deal as Young if we offered but of course who would turn down more money on a shorter deal? Hill is worth 4-5mill a year, he took the deal we gave him because it works for both sides, he gets his money we get short term flexibility. As far as lance, we'll see but the value and terms of his contract he'd best to keep his best behavior and play above and beyond otherwise he's at Cha. mercy and would be screwing himself over.
So we would have let Young go instead & signed Hill to a similar contract to what Young got? It's not like we had unlimited capspace.. We spent everything we had & then part of the room exception. All 3 of Young/Hill/Stephenson wasn't possible. I think I'd take Young on a bargain contract & Hill on a 1 year deal over committing 3 years to Lance & gambling on Hill to stay healthy on a 4 year deal.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#2610 » by LApwnd » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:23 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Who are our Centers if we pay Lance instead of J Hill? Davis & Sacre? Lance isn't worth that misery. I expect Charlotte to regret that contract quickly anyway. Hill is a 1 year deal if we want it to be, nothing to regret.

So we would have let Young go instead & signed Hill to a similar contract to what Young got? It's not like we had unlimited capspace.. We spent everything we had & then part of the room exception. All 3 of Young/Hill/Stephenson wasn't possible. I think I'd take Young on a bargain contract & Hill on a 1 year deal over committing 3 years to Lance & gambling on Hill to stay healthy on a 4 year deal.

why does signing Hill to same deal as Young prevent us from giving same deal to Young? The only other problem of getting Lance was Lin trade but that would still happen, all we had to do was stretch waive Nash, a minor issue if Lance keeps improving and upping his game. and Lance deal is techincally 2 years if he's getting the 3rd year it means he did something to earn the team respect and for them to pick up that option.
lakersin4
Starter

Post#2611 » by lakersin4 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:49 pm

LApwnd wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

why does signing Hill to same deal as Young prevent us from giving same deal to Young? The only other problem of getting Lance was Lin trade but that would still happen, all we had to do was stretch waive Nash, a minor issue if Lance keeps improving and upping his game. and Lance deal is techincally 2 years if he's getting the 3rd year it means he did something to earn the team respect and for them to pick up that option.

Yeah if you stretch Nash it's possible.. I definitely don't think that's worth doing though. I'd rather have the extra 3M in cap space during the next 2 seasons to go after max players than essentially commit 12M a year to Lance (9M his contract 3M stretching Nash to afford Lance).
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,753

Post#2612 » by Pointgod » Thu Aug 7, 2014 11:46 am

lakersin4 wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

Lakers whiffed on free agency this year. they could have signed Lance instead of Hill and swaggy p and still made all the other signings for role players. There are still solid centres like Okafor and blatche out there. We could also have maintained cap space to take on salary for more picks. Pretty mediocre off season.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#2613 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Aug 8, 2014 4:06 pm

Pointgod wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

Lakers whiffed on free agency this year. they could have signed Lance instead of Hill and swaggy p and still made all the other signings for role players. There are still solid centres like Okafor and blatche out there. We could also have maintained cap space to take on salary for more picks. Pretty mediocre off season.

while i agree it was bad FA for the lakers i think we are looking at 2015 and 2016 FA
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,753

Post#2614 » by Pointgod » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:53 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Who are our Centers if we pay Lance instead of J Hill? Davis & Sacre? Lance isn't worth that misery. I expect Charlotte to regret that contract quickly anyway. Hill is a 1 year deal if we want it to be, nothing to regret.

while i agree it was bad FA for the lakers i think we are looking at 2015 and 2016 FA

The point I'm trying to make and what most people don't get is that in order for 2015 and 2016 to be successful a foundation needs this offseason. Really the Lakers should have been selling off their players and collecting assets since last offseason. They're making moves by the seat of their pants with no real direction. If a long term plan was the goal then they shouldn't have hastily offered Kobe his contract. They could have waited to see how the market played out and still made an offer dependent on an incoming free agent. Taking money out of the equation why would Rondo or Marc Gasol sign here? To play with Randle and an aging Kobe? A team like Washington could give Kevin Durant the immediate help he's looking for. If we want to go the trade route what assets do we have to get an all Star? Middling first rounder and a 2019 Pick? We just saw what Kevin Love went for. We pretty much just brought back the same team as last year with Kobe, Lin, Randle and Boozer. If we're lucky we make 8 seed and if we're not we'll still lose our pick to Phoenix. There's no upside to the team since everyone is on a expiring contract. No incentive at all for the big free agents in 2015 and 2016
RamAthorn101
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#2615 » by RamAthorn101 » Sat Aug 9, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm truly lost and confused on what the plan for the future is. It seems as if all along everyone including me assumed KLove would be a laker and the cornerstone to the next laker dynasty. We all know now that ain't gonna happen just wondering what everyone else thinks we could possibly do or who we can trade for or pick up that'll help Kobe get 1 or 2 more rings
jerkslo
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#2616 » by jerkslo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:03 pm

I'd like to see KG and Kobe team up. KG may be more done than Kobe, but competitively it'd be fun.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#2617 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:59 pm

jerkslo wrote:I'd like to see KG and Kobe team up. KG may be more done than Kobe, but competitively it'd be fun.

Way too late for that. Lakers were rumored to get KG from MIN in 07 or 06. I forget which year. Kobe wanted to play him
lakersin4
Starter

Post#2618 » by lakersin4 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:06 am

Monroe just joined the FA class next summer by accepting the QO from Detroit.. Some solid bigs available.. Love & LMA probably won't want to leave their situations but Marc, Monroe, Asik, Jordan.. Some real prizes could be had.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#2619 » by AcecardZ » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 am

lakersin4 wrote:Monroe just joined the FA class next summer by accepting the QO from Detroit.. Some solid bigs available.. Love & LMA probably won't want to leave their situations but Marc, Monroe, Asik, Jordan.. Some real prizes could be had.

None of those guys are real prizes. They're second tier big me in a league full of second tier big men.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
lakersin4
Starter

Post#2620 » by lakersin4 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 pm

This next free agency class is absolutely loaded. You don't have the Lebron/Melo level guys but quite a few ways to spend our 30M or so in a manner that I'd be very pleased with. The top guys like Love/LMA probably don't change teams.

Marc Gasol
Aldridge
Kevin Love
Asik
Monroe
Deandre
Biyombo(RFA)
Vucevic(RFA)
Millsap
Faried(RFA)

Some very solid wings & guards as well.

Rondo
Dragic
Thompson(RFA)
Leonard(RFA)
Jimmy Butler(RFA)
Wesley Matthews
Kemba(RFA)
Knight(RFA)

I'd be good with getting almost any 2-3 of those guys. Dragic-Matthews-Kobe-Randle-Asik is probably feasible financially.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers