ImageImageImageImageImage

You're Mitch Kupchak. What's your plan?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Re: You're Mitch Kupchak. What's your plan? 

Post#61 » by tviper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:56 am

Pierre The Poet wrote:I always hear people talking about the stretch provision, but I really don't think it's necessary. Just let Nash have the 9 mil for ONE year and then it's done and over. We're not gonna do anything next year anyways. Instead of having a wasted 3 mil each year further down the line.

totally agree. Nash retires or he doesn't, but either way the Lakers would be foolish to reduce 2015 and 2016 cap with Nash $. The only exception would be if by some weird sting of events LeBron decides to opt out and come to LAL. In that case, the extra cap $ would be needed to add another starter or two.
Pierre The Poet
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#62 » by Pierre The Poet » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:12 am

TonyMontana wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:It's BS like that link that has guys here on fantasy street. Point blank that ain't happen'in.

Why would these guys leave an extra years and short themselves about $20 plus mil ?

I'm not gonna sit up here and believe all this rumored BS, it can't happen and back to back off season's like that has never happened in this league with stars of that caliber.

No Sh1111111111111111111111t.

This board compared to when we were down and out in 06 etc on here has turned into "Wet dreams happy ending".

Its sort of like when we use to sit at lunch time talking to with our boys about Im hooking up with so and so and I heard so and so likes me B.S.

I mean peps are posting about when we draft so and so and so and so and when we get so and so like season is over and we already know we got top 5 or what position we are drafting. This is some fantasy league combined with some Disney's happy happy never land adventure thread.

Is that really so terrible? I'd rather be optimistic about a future than pessimistic. Otherwise, we just suck with bad players and a bad coach and bad owner and free agents will never come and we'll probably draft a bust and everything sucks. Who wants to think like that? The NBA season is still somewhat entertaining for me because there's a chance that we could walk away with a top prospect. And that's totally cool.
He will rise again...
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#63 » by LApwnd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:49 pm

-Tell Jim I want absolute power, includes coaching decision, only thing Jim gets to do is ask how much to write out the check for :D

-Fire Antoni end of the season

-target at least one FA in the 10-12mill range

-give Farmar, Young ext. in the 3-4mill range for 2years a piece, give X another 1yr vet min deal, pick up Bazemore option, give Hill 2yrs 5mill/yr contract...keep our future flexibility

-try to parlay the pick into Irving or Love, if neither team bites pick BPA.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#64 » by Jajwanda » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 pm

D'Antoni may have discovered something with Johnson at PF. If he can be average on the defensive glass he's putting up great numbers and multiple block shots per game.
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#65 » by lakersin4 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 am

Jajwanda wrote:D'Antoni may have discovered something with Johnson at PF. If he can be average on the defensive glass he's putting up great numbers and multiple block shots per game.

He was playing there at the beginning of the season when we had everyone healthy & were playing .500 ball..
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#66 » by Jajwanda » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:17 pm

His problem is that he's light at 215. It's not like other teams are skying above him for rebounds or his instincts are poor,it's simply because he doesn't have the bulk right now.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,717

Post#67 » by slicedbread2 » Tue Mar 4, 2014 6:36 am

Hey people how's it going? I think personally if you are the Lakers, avoid all major free agents since guys like LeBron will either stay in Miami or go to another title contender and Anthony may be a solid player, I just don't think it would be wise to bring him here since it wouldn't be much better than in New York in terms of what he's got. If I am Kupchak, here's what I would do:

#1. Since Jim Buss, AKA Jimbo won't let you fire D'Antoni and is a stubborn mule, more likely than not he's staying although I will be in the minority here and say he's not bad at developing players although truthfully he should be an assistant that works on player development. I'd look for a coach in the college ranks who could succeed like Stevens in Boston or roll the dice with a college coach or long-time NBA assistant coach who hasn't had the opportunity to become a head coach.

#2. In regards to the draft, the league will try to get the Lakers the #1 pick though more likely than not it's headed Milwaukee's way since they are god-awful or maybe even Philadelphia or Orlando. If the Lakers could get #4, they should take Exum since he really wants to come to Los Angeles and other teams before them could be hesitant to have a potential Yi Jianlian situation.

#3. S&T Pau. He pretty much will not want to play any longer for D'Antoni and he knows that by the time the Lakers will be contending, he will be retired or near the end of his career. He has been connected to Memphis a lot since he started his career there and his brother plays there too and that'd be the perfect place for him to go back to and retire and thank him for everything he's done for the Lakers organization.

#4. The Lakers will have a plethora of cap space. Regarding one commentator who wanted Monroe, you can only sign him to a 4 year deal and Monroe's camp are looking for the max or somewhere close to it since 8-10 ain't getting it done plus there aren't too many of his kind who can be a solid low post option and give you 15-18 and 8-10 rebounds a game(The Pistons are the only team who can give him a 5 year deal which will give him the franchise tag). Given the Pistons have killed his value a bit because of the Smith signing, but there are better teams out there that will give him a deal or ones he will like ex. New Orleans(he's from Louisiana) and playing with AD would be a menacing front court(they could S&T Gordon to get it done), Washington since he's a Hoya and playing with the top-2 backcourt in the NBA is tempting and maybe Atlanta. More likely than not he ain't coming and Stephenson will more likely than not stay in Indiana since Larry legend took him under his wing and I doubt he leaves a potential title contender for more money since he's only 23 and will get more as he gets better.

#5. Personally, they should let Nash go and pay his full salary for one year and allow him to retire in dignity by allowing him to go and play for a contender for one final shot at a ring. It's a shame it didn't work out, but he's a class guy. Plus I doubt Hill, Kaman and Gasol return especially when the former 2 are hardly used.

#6.This team isn't strong enough to convince Love at the moment to come to the Lakers in 2016. There's also a possibility that he just wants to play in LA and he could be sent to the Clippers for Griffin conditional ofc on Love signing an extension in the event the Clippers fail to get to the 3rd round this year just saying.

#7. Tank. If I were the Lakers, use the advantage of your cap space to go after teams that are looking to dump bad salary that will expire this year and extract picks out of them. Here are multiple deals the Lakers can do to help soothe out their rebuilding phase:

a) Send Gasol into a major deal since he wants to go to a contender and Memphis is the perfect spot for him and here's the deal:

Toronto out: Landry Fields, Chuck Hayes, 2 second rounders
Toronto in: Carlos Boozer

Chicago out: Carlos Boozer, 1 second rounder from Portland
Chicago in: Kosta Koufos, 13.8M trade exception

Memphis out: Ed Davis, 1 second rounder(Toronto)
Memphis in: Pau Gasol

LA Lakers out: Pau Gasol
La Lakers in: Ed Davis, Landry Fields, Chuck Hayes, 4 second rounders

Why Toronto: They upgrade at the 4 and get rid of two expirings where one is always injured and the other one is a solid back-up but is undersized and add a playoff tested 4 who can get you some buckets and rebounds well and though a sieve on defense, Casey's system should be more than enough to cover any problems.

Why Chicago: They move Boozer without having to use the amnesty on him and giving up a meaningless second rounder won't bother them as they can now insert Milotic at the 4 or trade him in a centrepiece deal for Horford along with picks and prospects and maybe acquire Anthony or a solid wing. Plus they get a solid backup big in Koufos who's deal is only guaranteed for 500K in the event he doesn't work out plus he'd be an upgrade over Mohammed who's days look numbered and he can give Noah much needed rest when necessary.

Why Memphis: The Grizzlies add a familiar face that they know in Pau and being reunited with his younger brother would be a great way to end his career plus he'd be willing to take a pay cut and a 2 year deal for 5-7 million a year since he wants to go for one more title and he's made enough money that it's irrelevant for him now. Plus they get a lot stronger on their frontcourt as Pau will be expected to be the back-up centre behind Marc and the Grizzlies become a bigger title threat.

Why Lakers: The Lakers have a plethora of cap space and taking on dead weight in order to acquire more picks that could help their future long term and recoup the ones they gave up will help greatly. They also add a young player in Davis who has a qualifying offer and they can see whether or not he fits long term.

b) The Pacers are looking for cap space to help get born ready resigned and to avoid the tax. Take advantage of teams who do not want or do not have the resources to pay the tax. In this case you do this:

To LA: Chris Copeland, second round pick
To Indiana: 3.135M trade exception

Why LA: Lakers get another pick to their stable and get a solid bench player in Copeland who could be flipped to a contender for another low second rounder.

Why Indiana: They get a trade exception they could use to add another piece and they get a far better shot at keeping born ready/sir Lancelot.

c) Try not to hate me guys, but here's another team that's penny-pinching and a familiar face you could take advantage of and here's the deal:

To LAC: 4.25 trade exception
To LAL: Jared Dudley/future 1st rounder(2017 lottery protected)/2 second rounders

Why LAC: Dudley doesn't fit in Doc's rotation and the Clippers have been looking to move him and get a trade exception or a better player that fits Doc's system and to boost their bench.

Why LAL: Get more picks and take advantage of teams with little to no cap room. Dudley's deal is 4.25M a year and has an ETO in 2015-16 and if he doesn't pick it up and stays, he's a moveable expiring.

d) You could help the Thunder who have been looking to dump Perkins though I'd ask for a first rounder and 2 seconds but doubt this deal treads any water though I'd pick up the phone if Presti is willing to agree.

e) To Minnesota: TPE
To LA: Barea, 2nd rounder

Why Minnesota: They are looking to move on from Barea and will part with a 2nd to do it while going for an upgrade at the point for their bench. Maybe Ridnour or another vet or young point comes to mind.

Why LA: Keep getting dem picks while taking on dead-weight expirings.

In total, the Lakers would have about 0-1 first rounders and about 6-8 second rounders that will suit them well in the event they want to move up in the 2015 draft for a target player.

#8. Potential salary cap after making said deals: $54,894,736. The Lakers could bring Ed Davis on with his QO and it would add the team total to $59,256,524. Bring back Bazemore for a reasonable deal along with Farmar and maybe swaggy P if he wants and the team would be around 65-70M Here's the potential line-up if these deals were to be completed and don't forget most of the dead weights are gone in 2015 so the Lakers could be well off:

Exum/Marshall/Farmar/Barea
Kobe/Exum/?
Bazemore/Dudley/Fields
Davis/Copeland/?
Sacre/Hayes/?

Tank the season away and add top pick to the stable as long as you are in top 5 country.
lelelazza8
Junior
And1: 15

Post#68 » by lelelazza8 » Tue Mar 4, 2014 1:26 pm

Probably LAL have pick between 4th to 8th...
1) Draft M.Smart
2) offer 44/48 M for 4 years to Monroe...
3) resign 1 year deal Bazemore, Brooks, Farmar, W.Johnson, X and Gasol (8 M?)...
4) Sign 1 year deal Marvin Williams...
5) Summer 2015 sign Love...

Lakers 2014/15
Smart/Farmar/Nash
Bryant/Brooks
Johnson/Bazemore/X.Henry
Monroe/M.Williams
Gasol/Sacre
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#69 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Tue Mar 4, 2014 1:52 pm

No clue what the plan is but beating Portland on the road sure doesn't fit it.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#70 » by TylersLakers » Wed Mar 5, 2014 7:08 am

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:No clue what the plan is but beating Portland on the road sure doesn't fit it.

Yup. We have to creep into the Top 3.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers