ImageImageImageImageImage

How to build around Kobe/Exum?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

How to build around Kobe/Exum? 

Post#1 » by TruSkool » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:38 pm

Lets say the lakers draft Exum between the 4-6th pick....name some ideal players/coach that could be pieced together within the next 2 years (realistic players) to build a championship team.

Draft Exum, Resign Gasol at 8-10mil, S&T Jordan Hill+filler for stretch 4 like Ryan Anderson, Sign defensive small forward--Trevor ariza? Luol Deng?

Exum
Kobe
Ariza or Deng
Anderson
Gasol

Coach- George Karl
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Re: How to build around Kobe/Exum? 

Post#2 » by Dr Aki » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:55 pm

dont count chickens before they hatch
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#3 » by TonyMontana » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:09 pm

Dr Aki wrote:dont count chickens before they hatch

You think ??
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#4 » by LApwnd » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:11 pm

Noh wouldn't do that trade. Actually Exum and Kobe should be playing this style Antoni O, we just need a coach who has a better grip on balance. IF Exum is balanced player he should be primary ball handle and PnR and get into the paint for kick outs all day which is I guess Antoni offense style of offense after all. Would like to see this

Exum/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Henry/Johnson
Pau/Kelly
Hill/Sacre

Save some cap space, at least enought to aborb someones bad contract for marginal player with assets attached.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#5 » by BEazy » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:52 pm

Antoni isn't the only coach that can coach a PG. If you have the talent like I'm seeing in Exum anybody with a brain can coach the kid. It's all about how he responds to Kobe and how hard he pushes himself in practice. With Kobe lurking around trash talking and encouraging the kid I have no problem believing this kid will turn into a bonafied star.

I'd start with Kevin Love anchoring the paint and have a double threat from the perimeter and also with Kobe's paint scoring that's just a plus. Keep some of the guys that are here right now because they can play the speed game with most teams which is what I really like about this team. Not to mention our bench is 2nd in the league in scoring.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,806

Post#6 » by spree8 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 6:21 pm

That's a pretty sweet plan. Wonder if Anderson could be had for Jordan. He's looking good with Gasol and Kaman out...definitely raises his stock more. I'd love to have Ariza back too. His 3pt shot has improved even more. That lineup would be pretty damn good with D'Antoni. It's just the interior defense I'd be worried about. Also, I could see Ex having the type of impact a young Devin Harris did for the Mavs back in 2006.
stunnar0b
Starter
And1: 121

Post#7 » by stunnar0b » Tue Apr 8, 2014 6:47 pm

Make the coach Lionel Hollins and I'll say your on to something.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#8 » by One Love » Tue Apr 8, 2014 7:41 pm

Gotta get Lionel Hollins first... Next, get some defense and wait for K Love... I personally like players like Thabo & Hill as defensive players at good values... Exum, Kobe, Thabo, K Love & Hill is a solid unit with energy and defense... Let's go Lakeshow...
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,399

Post#9 » by Danny Darko » Tue Apr 8, 2014 9:16 pm

A-Building with MDA? No. Find a young up and comer not a guy who can't play halfcourt playoff b-ball and wants a pg who hits 3s.

B-Ryan Anderson ? When have Kelly?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 8, 2014 9:35 pm

Why all this love for Lionel Hollins?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#11 » by LApwnd » Tue Apr 8, 2014 9:50 pm

Kilroy wrote:Why all this love for Lionel Hollins?

probably due to the D they had in Mem but Mem plays a very slow pace and offense wasn't much to look at majority of time. I'm with the few who wants to get some "young bloods" in here, some name we haven't heard off already. Dont want these old coaches who's already proven to be middle of pack type Coach like G. Carl, Sloan, van gundy brothers, etc.
stunnar0b
Starter

Post#12 » by stunnar0b » Tue Apr 8, 2014 9:53 pm

Oops forgot the green font.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#13 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Tue Apr 8, 2014 11:48 pm

Exum and Randle are my top two choices not counting the obvious three at the top. Randle's stock has probably risen to #4 overall, which I hope we get because we'll be able to chose between these two guys.

Randle just seems like a beast to me, dude's only 18 and has sneaky athleticism along with power down low. He's only gonna get stronger and smarter as he gets older, I can see him being an easy 19/10 guy in a few years. His size worries me but Blake Griffin is only 6'9'' and he seems to be doing alright.
stunnar0b
Starter

Post#14 » by stunnar0b » Wed Apr 9, 2014 12:23 am

Blake Griffin has a 50" vertical. Who knows how his game will develop once his athleticism starts diminishing. He's already doing 360 awkward layups just to shoot over defenders with length. I'll agree that randles a straight beast in college, but I'm not so sure his game will transfer.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#15 » by dockingsched » Wed Apr 9, 2014 12:54 am

lionel hollins is the LAST coach i would want leading the lakers. its already a tough pill to swallow that the lakers front office appears to be at the back of the advanced metrics / advanced scouting train, hiring a coach that is open about his disdain for advanced metrics would be such a disappointment. lionel hollins is a fossil that a cutting edge front office like memphis' quickly cut ties with, he's not the answer to any team going forward.

also, i think its a little late for "build around" and "kobe" at this point in his career.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#16 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:56 am

dockingsched wrote:lionel hollins is the LAST coach i would want leading the lakers. its already a tough pill to swallow that the lakers front office appears to be at the back of the advanced metrics / advanced scouting train, hiring a coach that is open about his disdain for advanced metrics would be such a disappointment. lionel hollins is a fossil that a cutting edge front office like memphis' quickly cut ties with, he's not the answer to any team going forward.

also, i think its a little late for "build around" and "kobe" at this point in his career.

Interesting...
Fresh360Waves
Veteran

Post#17 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:59 am

LApwnd wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Why all this love for Lionel Hollins?

probably due to the D they had in Mem but Mem plays a very slow pace and offense wasn't much to look at majority of time. I'm with the few who wants to get some "young bloods" in here, some name we haven't heard off already. Dont want these old coaches who's already proven to be middle of pack type Coach like G. Carl, Sloan, van gundy brothers, etc.

People just always go for name recognition and don't take track record and their coaching system into consideration.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran

Post#18 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:00 am

TruSkool wrote:Lets say the lakers draft Exum between the 4-6th pick....name some ideal players/coach that could be pieced together within the next 2 years (realistic players) to build a championship team.

Draft Exum, Resign Gasol at 8-10mil, S&T Jordan Hill+filler for stretch 4 like Ryan Anderson, Sign defensive small forward--Trevor ariza? Luol Deng?

Exum
Kobe
Ariza or Deng
Anderson
Gasol

Coach- George Karl

Anderson & Gasol wouldn't be a good defensive frontcourt.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#19 » by simon24 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 6:25 am

spree8 wrote:That's a pretty sweet plan. Wonder if Anderson could be had for Jordan. He's looking good with Gasol and Kaman out...definitely raises his stock more. I'd love to have Ariza back too. His 3pt shot has improved even more. That lineup would be pretty damn good with D'Antoni. It's just the interior defense I'd be worried about. Also, I could see Ex having the type of impact a young Devin Harris did for the Mavs back in 2006.

I doubt Anderson could come to LA. He just had a major surgery and Pelicans management have yet to see a full season of AD and Anderson together.

I could see Ariza back to LA if WAS management chooses to save money and finally play Porter
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#20 » by Rosque » Wed Apr 9, 2014 9:10 am

First bring some defensive frontcourt players ALONG Pau on short-term contracts. Then sign spark plug off the bench and try to sign Deng/Ariza for cheap. Resign Hill.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."

Return to Los Angeles Lakers