ImageImageImageImageImage

Jim Buss to step down if Lakers aren't contending in 4 years

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Jim Buss to step down if Lakers aren't contending in 4 years 

Post#1 » by AI » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:33 am

I was laying myself on the line by saying, if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on the top — and the definition of top means contending for the Western Conference, contending for a championship — then I will step down because that means I have failed. I don't know if you can fire yourself if you own the team … but what I would say is I'd walk away and you guys figure out who's going to run basketball operations because I obviously couldn't do the job.

"There is a degree of patience here,” the executive said, via Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News. “It’s not like we’ve worked four years to create financial flexibility and now no matter what, on (July 8), we’re going to spend it all or use it all."

"There's no question in my mind we will accomplish success," he said, via Bresnahan. "I'm not worried about putting myself on the line."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2035 ... -few-years

I know it's Bleacher Report but it seems credible. Apparently, Jim Buss told this to Mike Bresnahan of the LA Times.

As a fan, I view this as a complete win-win situation. If he does indeed figure out a way to make the Lakers contend within four years, then excellent. If he fails to do so, at the very least he acknowledges that he is not fit for the job and passes it to someone else.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,347

Re: Jim Buss to step down if Lakers aren't contending in 4 y 

Post#2 » by Ckay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:42 am

Talk is cheap but ok I'll be waiting
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#3 » by leeprettyp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:44 am

I'm all in on Jim and Mitch. Both have learned from the best and have been entrusted with carrying the torch for a reason. I'm going to stop being so hard on Jim especially because the the layout is EXACTLY the way Dr. Buss wanted it. Stay positive LakersNation
AI
RealGM

Post#4 » by AI » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:49 am

leeprettyp wrote:I'm all in on Jim and Mitch. Both have learned from the best and have been entrusted with carrying the torch for a reason. I'm going to stop being so hard on Jim especially because the the layout is EXACTLY the way Dr. Buss wanted it. Stay positive LakersNation

I agree with you. At first I was a little harsh on Jim because of the terrible coaching hires, but everyone makes mistakes and to be honest, the coaching market is terrible as it is. On the other hand, I'd love to see what Mitch could do with full autonomy of basketball operations.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#5 » by leeprettyp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 am

With the right moves and patience we'll be contending again around 2016 if we play our cards right. I just wish we could someone stay competitive during Kobe's last 2 years... But regardless my 1b)Kobe ( 1a) Magic) has had one hell of a run in the purple and gold
DwnShft2Xcelr8
Pro Prospect
And1: 913

Post#6 » by DwnShft2Xcelr8 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:08 am

I still don't blame Jim for the MDA hire. It seemed like a good hire to me, too, even after I knew Phil Jackson was available.
Who expected Nash to be pretty much irrelevant within 2 games as a Laker? I didn't. In his last season with the Suns, the guy was still averaging a double-double.
Who knew D12 would turn out to be such a little b#tch? Okay, maybe we all knew he had a good chance of being a b#tch, but I don't think any of us expected him to be a locker room cancer right off the bat.

All I'm saying is that Jim B has been given sh#t for two years now when he's done ALMOST everything possible to make the Lakers relevant. Sure, he should've hired Phil instead of MDA; sure, he should've traded Dwight when there was still a chance to; and yeah, sure, he could've just given Phil control of basketball operations instead of letting him go to New York...

But at the end of the day, he learned from the greatest sports owner of all-time. That's gotta mean something, right? I'll give him the next 4 years without sh#tting on him every chance I get. I want to believe he will do whatever it takes to make the Lakers the best again. And if he isn't able to, at least he won't be in denial for 20 years, like the idiot owner of the Knicks, before giving up the reigns to the Lakers.
Hide in car on Friday nights so cat thinks I have a social life crew
Telemarketers hang up on me crew
Jehovah's Witnesses close my door for me crew
Parents get upset when I visit crew
Homeless people won't accept money from me crew
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#7 » by Doormatt » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:35 am

what happened to the jim buss = hitler circlejerk? are we done with that now?
#doorgek
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:02 am

leeprettyp wrote:I'm all in on Jim and Mitch. Both have learned from the best and have been entrusted with carrying the torch for a reason. I'm going to stop being so hard on Jim especially because the the layout is EXACTLY the way Dr. Buss wanted it. Stay positive LakersNation

This... I mean if Jim can't be the closest thing to Dr Buss since Dr Buss, then nobody can... He's had the education, he has the insight taught from his dad... He has the genes...
I mean of all the fathers and sons you know, how many of them grow up to be polar opposites? In my experience, sons end up being a lot more like their dads than they are different... But they are their own people and the combination that may have made their Dad great in one thing might not translate to the same level of success for the son...

But from all outside signs, it seems like Dr Buss loved his kids and put a lot into their success, and it seems like Jim loved his dad and was a willing student.

And this is exactly the kind of deal Dr Buss would have made... I like it if true... And I honestly don't think it'll take 4 years.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#9 » by ak7 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:17 am

Doormatt wrote:what happened to the jim buss = hitler circlejerk? are we done with that now?

He's still a dousche IMO, but this is at least commendable for him to claim he'll put his ego aside
AI
RealGM

Post#10 » by AI » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:54 am

LakeShowAK7 wrote:
Doormatt wrote:what happened to the jim buss = hitler circlejerk? are we done with that now?

He's still a dousche IMO, but this is at least commendable for him to claim he'll put his ego aside

I wouldn't go as far to call him a douche, but it would be nice if he interacted with the fans more often like his father did. The more he isolates himself, the stronger of a disconnect there is.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#11 » by LApwnd » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:42 am

DwnShft2Xcelr8 wrote:
But at the end of the day, he learned from the greatest sports owner of all-time.

and what has he done with that?
ballaholick
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#12 » by ballaholick » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:44 am

LApwnd wrote:
DwnShft2Xcelr8 wrote:
But at the end of the day, he learned from the greatest sports owner of all-time.

What would have you done? Lets see hire Phil Jackson? Ok lets say you did that, you still have all the injuries to deal with, i hate when people talk down on MDA when he never got a chance to prove himself with a full healthy roster.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#13 » by LApwnd » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am

ballaholick wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
DwnShft2Xcelr8 wrote:

What would have you done? Lets see hire Phil Jackson? Ok lets say you did that, you still have all the injuries to deal with, i hate when people talk down on MDA when he never got a chance to prove himself with a full healthy roster.

Mike Brown bro :noway: and besides everybody eating out of his hand anyways as far as putting the MDA hire on Dr. Buss anyways, cause you know a guy thats dying of cancer shot up full of meds really did make a sound coaching hire.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#14 » by LApwnd » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:52 am

and I dont believe that for second he'll step down...like he said he's the owner, whats he gona do be sit at home owner and get punked by his lil sis Jeanine....He doesn't need to step down, he just needs to get the F out the way.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

Post#15 » by jigga_man » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:55 am

4 years of our lives we'll never get back
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#16 » by TyCobb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:24 am

Let's count the past 4, please?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#17 » by Slava » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:52 am

Don't cut cheques with your mouth that your ass can't cash Jimmy.

No matter the franchise history, it takes an incredible amount of things to go right to return to contention within 4 seasons.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#18 » by BEazy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:59 am

I give him props for actually having the balls to say that statement. I'll be patiently waiting. 4 years from now if we aren't anywhere near contending I hope Mitch has full control of basketball operations.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#19 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:33 am

Jim saying he'll step down is a facade for now. I've back Jim because in my mind outside of the coaching hires he hasn't hurt the franchise yet with a series of bad player moves. Maybe only the Nash move counts, but it wasn't a total death knell move. We'll be done with Steve next summer regardless.

Now as far as the Howard deal, CP3 situation.....hell there's not one owner in the league that wouldn't have swung for the fence with those deals.

For me what Jim, Jeanie and Mitch need to do is get out of sight, not be heard from and get in that room and lay out the plan and start to execute that plan. We as fans just need to see what's going to be rolling in here and what the hell is rolling out of here.

This is what I loved about Jerry West, he was stealth in his moves, he stayed away from the media and only talked if he had to. He wasn't wasting time blowing hot air on nothing. Jim and Mitch need to play that card.

Stop with the talk, stop with being coy with the fan base, because this franchise is at the cross road. One wrong move with this upcoming draft and free agent process this season and next could be the final blow.

It could set this franchise back decades, it's happened in other sports before and the Lakers aren't immune from this either.

May 20th and July 2014 and 2015 is gonna tell where this franchise is headed, the clock it ticking.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Frantik
Sixth Man
And1: 37

Post#20 » by Frantik » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:37 am

All of a sudden this board is singing a different tune....
Oh poor poor Jimmy, poor MDA...
Not long ago, fellas wanted Jimmy's head served quickly.
Now, lets all just act like MDA and Jimmy weren't the cause of this board's anger.

pure ridiculousness!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers