Swaggy P opts out; wants to return on multi-year deal

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Re: Swaggy P opts out; wants to return on multi-year deal 

Post#21 » by Jakay » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:25 am

3-4 million a year? That seems... unrealistically low, even at a discount.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#22 » by Speedlot » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Bye bye swaggy
Get17
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#23 » by Get17 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:39 pm

I was looking today at comparisons, Young and Klay. PER, True FG% stuff. Young is right with Klay.

If Klay wants 12 mil per and it costs the 7th, I'd rather resign Young for half that 6m (what Klay makes next yr) on a multi year (say 3@18) and get close to same productivity as from Klay.
and keep the lotto pick for other moves or draft.
GOAT 5: Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain, Johnson, Jordan, Russell; Next 5: Bird, Bryant, Duncan, Oneal, Robertson; Third 5: Erving, James, Olajuwon, Pettit, West; Knocked-Out: Malone
KobeKenobi
Senior
And1: 222

Post#24 » by KobeKenobi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:14 pm

He's a great backup and his defense and hustle has paid off. I just wonder if his defense and hustle will continue if he is under a long term contract. I'd say be safe...3-4 million...if that's not good enough...part ways, go after the more athletic Stephenson, and see if we can get quality minutes from Marshon Brooks and sign him for cheap.
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#25 » by islander009 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Get17 wrote:I was looking today at comparisons, Young and Klay. PER, True FG% stuff. Young is right with Klay.

If Klay wants 12 mil per and it costs the 7th, I'd rather resign Young for half that 6m (what Klay makes next yr) on a multi year (say 3@18) and get close to same productivity as from Klay.
and keep the lotto pick for other moves or draft.

+1 sign Young for 18mil/ 3 years or 20 mil/ 4 years. I would be good with this. Swaggy is a fan favorite and more importantly he is a energy guy and would be perfect coming in as our Ginobli (6th man).
unpossibl1
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#26 » by unpossibl1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Jakay wrote:3-4 million a year? That seems... unrealistically low, even at a discount.

I wouldn't be comfortable giving him anything more than that. He's an excellent scorer but not very efficient and he put up career numbers in a contract year running D'Antoni ball. If he's willing to take a home town discount then great, but otherwise I would let someone else pay him. The chances of him repeating last year's numbers are slim, and Kobe and Nash's contracts don't give the Lakers the luxury of having anyone else on their squad who produces below their cap hit.
islander009
Junior

Post#27 » by islander009 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:57 pm

unpossibl1 wrote:
Jakay wrote:3-4 million a year? That seems... unrealistically low, even at a discount.

I wouldn't be comfortable giving him anything more than that. He's an excellent scorer but not very efficient and he put up career numbers in a contract year running D'Antoni ball. If he's willing to take a home town discount then great, but otherwise I would let someone else pay him. The chances of him repeating last year's numbers are slim, and Kobe and Nash's contracts don't give the Lakers the luxury of having anyone else on their squad who produces below their cap hit.

Please correct me if i am wrong but didnt Swaggy P put up career numbers in Washington under Flip Saunders
unpossibl1
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#28 » by unpossibl1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:16 pm

islander009 wrote:
unpossibl1 wrote:

Please correct me if i am wrong but didnt Swaggy P put up career numbers in Washington under Flip Saunders

His Lakers numbers from last season are extremely similar to what he did in Washington in 10/11 (nearly identical actually), however in LA he received 3 and a half less minutes per game, so I see his LA stats as his career numbers.
islander009
Junior

Post#29 » by islander009 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:30 pm

unpossibl1 wrote:
islander009 wrote:
unpossibl1 wrote:

His Lakers numbers from last season are extremely similar to what he did in Washington in 10/11 (nearly identical actually), however in LA he received 3 and a half less minutes per game, so I see his LA stats as his career numbers.

hmm good point about the min difference.
Get17
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#30 » by Get17 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:50 pm

So he's getting better with less minutes it appears.
GOAT 5: Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain, Johnson, Jordan, Russell; Next 5: Bird, Bryant, Duncan, Oneal, Robertson; Third 5: Erving, James, Olajuwon, Pettit, West; Knocked-Out: Malone
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#31 » by Jakay » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 am

unpossibl1 wrote:

Well, he'll take more than that. No way he sticks around for that little as far as I see it. S you're saying Swaggy P walks. That's fine, but I don't think 5-6 is unreasonable in the current market for a proven scorer, ineffiecient or not. It's sort of moot what effect he'd have without a coach in place.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#32 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:37 am

what would jack bauer do? wrote:Dude deserves to get paid $3-4 mil a year, so does Farmar.

How about we just stick to the plan and keep cap space open for next year. I don't see why we do what the Knicks did with Jr Smith (but in reverse order), he took a huge discount for a couple years cause he wanted to play in ny and then he was rewarded with a bigger contract last summer even after a terrible playoff stretch. We should sign swaggy and jfar to big 1 year deals ($5-6mil each? Sure why not.) And then resign them again next year on a discount. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours. They're guaranteed the money up front so their family is taken care of and in the end they'll play on the team they bleed purple and gold for.

I admit I had trouble watching every game this season but I would rather keep Gasol than Young and Farmar. Gasol will probably stay for 8. He has earned it way more than Young or Farmar. Spurs had a 7 year drought between titles. They needed Green & MVP Leonard. We keep Kobe & Gasol use the #7 pick to get a player on the caliber or Green & MVP Leonard and try to land a quality free agent and lets get the Suns medical staff to join the Lakers team and help Nash finish his career in style.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,402

Post#33 » by Danny Darko » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:14 pm

leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#34 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:07 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/481918661817802752[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/481920361458827264[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/481920510830583808[/tweet]
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#35 » by frozt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:41 am

He's also 29, don't see his health keeping up for that long, he's not worth the commitment to the Lakers unless he comes back at the same price tbqh.
Resident band wagon vigilante.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#36 » by john248 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:02 am

Understandable that Nick Young opted out since his stock is at its highest its ever been, and this is likely the last sizable multiyear deal he'll get since he's 29 years old. I do expect him to receive offers up to 3 years at $5-6 million/season. The hope is that a hometown discount will be the same number of years at $4 mil/season.

If he does come at $4 mil/season, the Lakers should sign him for no more than 3 years. We all know that he can be a spark plug off the bench by providing offense even if his defense is lacking; sure it improved a bit but hardly worth talking about. The team would be able to fill out a roster for next season, reduce Kobe's minutes with someone who can take up some of the scoring load, and really still view his contract on a year to year basis beyond next season. The reason I say that is it's good to build up assets when it comes to making trades to match salaries or a player who can at least be viewed as a contributor to another team especially when he comes at a "discounted" price. At 29 though, he probably has only a few good seasons in him anyways.

For those saying that Young and Jordan Farmar deserve a bigger contract, they don't. While we're all appreciative that they took a hometown discount to play for the Lakers, I'd rather not see these 2 take up to $7-8 mil in cap room. Farmar is a fringe NBA player anyways even if he did do well at times during the games he actually could play in.
The Last Word
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#37 » by Sofa King » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:40 am

Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#38 » by Temuhjan » Tue Jul 1, 2014 4:16 pm

Bye Swaggy. Thanks for all the highlight reel last season, but we'd rather go with someone younger and with higher dfensive intensity (e.g. Chandler Parsons).

Return to Los Angeles Lakers