ImageImageImageImageImage

Luol Deng

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Luol Deng 

Post#1 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Jul 1, 2014 3:40 pm

This makes sense and is the most realistic.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
NOpinion
Ballboy
And1: 18

Re: Luol Deng 

Post#2 » by NOpinion » Tue Jul 1, 2014 4:14 pm

The Lakers need to be mindful of overpaying players like Luol Deng. I'm fine with Deng, but at the right price. We don't know what he's asking or what he'll accept but I think Lakers shouldn't pay more than 8m if it's 2+ years but preferably not more than 2 years and I'm honestly against paying him that much per season because with Kobe's cap number, what palyers can be added to the mix to round out the cap without destroying it come 2016 (when Kobe will be exiting?)? Deng is not that guy at a 10m+ cap number.

I don't know what Deng has done recently to make most people think that he would be worth more than 8m a year, which in this market, I'm sure someone would be offering. If he's okay with the lower end of the pay scale, I could see him going to the Clippers for their midlevel exception, which in my opinion is closer to his true value.

If it's not apparent yet, I don't know what else is needed to show that you can't win championionships overpaying players. You either only max out the true stars: LeBron, Melo, Love, etc. and then build your team around minimim, lower end deals with vets and through the draft. Since the Lakers neglected the values of 2nd round picks, the draft in general for years, then the best and fastest ways to contention is to go after Lebron and/or Melo and use the Heat formula of convincing other guys less to play with the best player in the world and no, I'm not talking about Kobe.

If that doesn't work out, which it probably will not, I think it's imperative they don't buy into the philosophy of 'we have to get someone with this cap space' ala the Knicks during the 2010 free agency whirlwind. Kupchak has mentioned as late as yesterday that (paraphrase), 'if (the Lakers) don't get a big free agent, it doesn't mean you have to use all the cap space that would limit future flexibility'. Saying-and-doing are two different things though.

I'm even hesitant to offer Anthony the max. I think his skill set is redundant, his defensive deficiencies are exactly what the Lakers do not need---but his value, which may be understated is that he can maximize Kobe's remaining mileage by taking a lot of the offensive load and maybe more important, show that the Lakers are an organization Free Agents want to sign with. That sounds kind of stupid to hold value in such a thing but the new regime of the Buss kids haven't had that free agent signing as their most notable transactions have been the loss of Dwight Howard and the 'lifetime appreciation' contract to Kobe. A signing of Carmelo, which may be come at the cost of having two high volume shooters with little defensive chops to balance out, would somewhat wash a way the stigma that the Lakers are a team not worth considering and that (gasp) the Clippers are a more attractive destination.

If the Lakers strike out on the big 2, I hope that Kupchak is smart enough to fill out his roster without overpaying or hampering the ability to get Love next year and/or Durant, Westbrook in 2016. And while he's not overpaying, he should take a page out of these shrewd capologist GMs like Morey and stockpile those 2nd round picks and build through the draft.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#3 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:32 am

Rather have Ariza.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,231

Post#4 » by EArl » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:38 am

Ariza and Deng are both the same age but Ariza can be had cheaper so I rather go with him.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#5 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:00 am

NOpinion wrote:The Lakers need to be mindful of overpaying players like Luol Deng. I'm fine with Deng, but at the right price. We don't know what he's asking or what he'll accept but I think Lakers shouldn't pay more than 8m if it's 2+ years but preferably not more than 2 years and I'm honestly against paying him that much per season because with Kobe's cap number, what palyers can be added to the mix to round out the cap without destroying it come 2016 (when Kobe will be exiting?)? Deng is not that guy at a 10m+ cap number.

I don't know what Deng has done recently to make most people think that he would be worth more than 8m a year, which in this market, I'm sure someone would be offering. If he's okay with the lower end of the pay scale, I could see him going to the Clippers for their midlevel exception, which in my opinion is closer to his true value.

If it's not apparent yet, I don't know what else is needed to show that you can't win championionships overpaying players. You either only max out the true stars: LeBron, Melo, Love, etc. and then build your team around minimim, lower end deals with vets and through the draft. Since the Lakers neglected the values of 2nd round picks, the draft in general for years, then the best and fastest ways to contention is to go after Lebron and/or Melo and use the Heat formula of convincing other guys less to play with the best player in the world and no, I'm not talking about Kobe.

If that doesn't work out, which it probably will not, I think it's imperative they don't buy into the philosophy of 'we have to get someone with this cap space' ala the Knicks during the 2010 free agency whirlwind. Kupchak has mentioned as late as yesterday that (paraphrase), 'if (the Lakers) don't get a big free agent, it doesn't mean you have to use all the cap space that would limit future flexibility'. Saying-and-doing are two different things though.

I'm even hesitant to offer Anthony the max. I think his skill set is redundant, his defensive deficiencies are exactly what the Lakers do not need---but his value, which may be understated is that he can maximize Kobe's remaining mileage by taking a lot of the offensive load and maybe more important, show that the Lakers are an organization Free Agents want to sign with. That sounds kind of stupid to hold value in such a thing but the new regime of the Buss kids haven't had that free agent signing as their most notable transactions have been the loss of Dwight Howard and the 'lifetime appreciation' contract to Kobe. A signing of Carmelo, which may be come at the cost of having two high volume shooters with little defensive chops to balance out, would somewhat wash a way the stigma that the Lakers are a team not worth considering and that (gasp) the Clippers are a more attractive destination.

If the Lakers strike out on the big 2, I hope that Kupchak is smart enough to fill out his roster without overpaying or hampering the ability to get Love next year and/or Durant, Westbrook in 2016. And while he's not overpaying, he should take a page out of these shrewd capologist GMs like Morey and stockpile those 2nd round picks and build through the draft.

I think most people are looking at when Deng was in Chicago and hoping that he will play at that same level. He seems like he's slowly declining and injuries could eventually take its toll on him. In my opinion, I think Ariza is the way to go. He's from L.A., has some chemistry w/ Kobe and Farmar (if he comes back), and hardly ever gets hurt. A 3 year, $21 million dollar deal seems reasonable to me, but I wouldn't be against the Lakers overpaying even a bit more just to ensure he wants to sign w/ the Lakers.

In terms of Melo, I think the Lakers should pass. Signing only just Melo obviously won't get the Lakers at the top of the West and if you look at the future FA list, Durant doesn't seem likely. Maybe Westbrook? But you just really don't know.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#6 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:57 am

EArl wrote:Ariza and Deng are both the same age but Ariza can be had cheaper so I rather go with him.

I agree. But given the Team is rebuilding, we might as well go for someone younger. Someone like Chandler Parsons.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#7 » by tugs » Wed Jul 2, 2014 5:21 am

no way Ariza is cheaper. based on his performance last year compared to Luol's, it's impossible Deng will get 8 digit salary.

I'm also ok with Deng and agreed that it shouldn't be over 8 per.
SJSF
Banned User
And1: 310

Post#8 » by SJSF » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:37 am

Don't troll here either.
-Kilroy
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#9 » by LApwnd » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:06 am

Ariza and Deng are going to ask for 10mill+, Deng even more so since he already turned down 10/yr from Chi. Based on the payday of some of these other role players like Collison and Meeks, I foresee both getting big bucks.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#10 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat Jul 5, 2014 4:09 am

LApwnd wrote:Ariza and Deng are going to ask for 10mill+, Deng even more so since he already turned down 10/yr from Chi. Based on the payday of some of these other role players like Collison and Meeks, I foresee both getting big bucks.

Bingo, Deng is going to the highest bidder. Is a good character, he has tons of class especially by NBA player standards. Ans Thibss has really logged a ton of miles on Dengs legs the last 3 1/2 years I'd be cautious about him down the road as hes already had a few injuries that even when he wasn't out the line up effect his game and scoring efficiency.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#11 » by TylersLakers » Sat Jul 5, 2014 4:21 am

If we don't get Melo or LeBron, this is where I hope the focus is. Sign Deng for 11m a season on a 4 year deal and then re-sign Jordan Hill and Jordan Farmar to long term deals worth 3-4m each. Fill out the roster with 1 year contracts, retain Nash one more year and then we'll have a max spot available next off-season.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#12 » by moonpie » Sat Jul 5, 2014 4:24 am

I'd rather have Stephenson and there's a good chance you'd get him cheaper.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#13 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 4:27 am

I don't really think Deng is very good. How much he's likely to get paid makes him an easy no for me.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers