ImageImageImageImageImage

End of the Pau Gasol era

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: End of the Pau Gasol era 

Post#81 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm gonna give you the real deal on where Pau is as a players now. Some are too sentimental to him and will try to mask he deficiencies so here it is...

PaKii94 wrote: Defensively he can be covered if boozer is covered esp since hes bigger than boozer.

Answer : Yes and No, Yeah he can be covered only because of the system the Bulls play. But that's gonna depend on what teams want to force the Bulls to do. If it's pick and roll with Pau's man he's too slow to close up on the shooter.

Teams will seek out how to run stuff towards the Bulls two weakest players of the 5 on the floor. But bottom line Pau's defense isn't what it was 5 years ago. I saw on your board where they were happy that he blocks shots.....well not at a rate you'd think. He's not the strongest weak side defender either. Size has nothing to do with it. It's all about foot speed and being able to blitz pick and rolls, something Noah is great at but not Pau.

PaKii94 wrote:Where is his offense nowadays?
He's still a double digit scorer, offense won't be a problem for him. But at the same time it doesn't cure the Bulls real problem, the need for a true second scoring option. Pau was that when he came here in 2008 but not now in 2014. Will he contribute in tight games ? Yeah he will, the question will Thibs run things through him on a consistent basis ? I still say the ball will be in Rose hands to close out games.

PaKii94 wrote: Is he still a low post scorer?
Pau will still operate from the low post, but against teams with physical bigs like Indiana's Roy Hibbert he can be bumped off shots and will settle for a jumper. Pau isn't going to bull doze his way to the basket, but if single covered he can still get baskets. The problem is when contact is involved that's what get's Pau ineffective.

PaKii94 wrote: We were supposed to get that with boozer but he basically a mediocre pick and pop player and his low post game just turned to getting stuffed.
I know the reason for that, the Bulls don't have the deadliest perimeter shooting. Rose is just now improving in that area but outside of him who is that deadly shooter ? Mike Dunleavy ? Jim Fredette ? McDermott ?

When you don't have that it's easier for teams to clog the paint and crowd Boozer. In Utah Boozer never had that problem because they had ample shooters during his time there. Your game is a byproduct of the teammates the team surrounds you with.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
BJGOAT3
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#82 » by BJGOAT3 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:24 am

Will always remember him as a Laker for life, I hoped to see some the good old Kobe-Gasol duo this year. He makes Chicago ridiculously deep at PF-C positions, I hope he finds appreciation and success there.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#83 » by tugs » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:28 am

it's officially the Pau Gasol era at Chicago.

best of luck Pau. a part of me will shed a tear when Randle and Kobe posterize you.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#84 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:11 am

Bulls fan here for a quick question.

What's the status of Pau's health? What kind of injuries did he have and how bad were they?
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#85 » by D Nice » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:29 am

4 years too late. I've been waiting for him to be gone ever since the 2011 playoffs (really halfway through the season). I thought the day we were finally done with him I'd be dancing in the streets but I feel nothing at all. Probably because Mitch crapped the bed and we GOT nothing at all.

Pau playing for Thibs = super popcorn time. I'd pay good money to watch those practices. About the only thing funnier would be watching him coach Kevin Love.

No more Kobe microscope to hide your mediocrity behind Pau, you better hope Rose ain't right because if he is..oh boy..bulls fans gonna turn on you quick. Thanks for 2.5 awesome years, 4 **** years, and 2 rings. Now don't let the door hit ya...
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#86 » by kobe808lak » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Pau has been done for a while... still capable of putting up good offensive numbers and boards but whatever he gives you on one end he will give up on the other with his defense.

However, on the bulls if he comes off the bench that would be a great scenario for them. Have him go against 2nd units and run the offense through him and that would work nicely.

As long as he doesn't have to move that much on D, having his team mates make up for him - he can stay in the paint to try and defend.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#87 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Pau left the Lakers for less money and likely, a reduced role, since he's basically just a C now.

So good luck Pau. C-ya...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#88 » by Sofa King » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:Bulls fan here for a quick question.

What's the status of Pauls health? What kind of injuries did he have and how bad were they?

I think he's healthy. The injuries that he had this past season weren't serious. He should be fine for any player thats on the decline.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#89 » by LApwnd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:Bulls fan here for a quick question.

What's the status of Pauls health? What kind of injuries did he have and how bad were they?

he has bouts with vaginaitis but with Taj and ugly face Noah, it should be easily masked :lol: and besides the east big are nothing like the west minus David West but he looks more like a jump shooter now these days then a bruiser as his frame/sz should suggest. I think having Taj/Noah to cover up his led foot on D should do wonders for him, I mean if you guys can cover up for Boozer you can cover up for Pau easily. Gluck with Pau, I hate your team a lil less now with him on it :lol:
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#90 » by LApwnd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:16 pm

kobe808lak wrote:Pau has been done for a while... still capable of putting up good offensive numbers and boards but whatever he gives you on one end he will give up on the other with his defense.

However, on the bulls if he comes off the bench that would be a great scenario for them. Have him go against 2nd units and run the offense through him and that would work nicely.

As long as he doesn't have to move that much on D, having his team mates make up for him - he can stay in the paint to try and defend.

they should start him IMO, Chi has problem of to much depth now but its a good problem....it'll force Gibson back to the bench but Pau needs Gibson or Noah behind him at all times unless that Mirotic guy is also some sort of defensive presence (highly doubt it being a euro)
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#91 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:21 pm

... i like Pau and it's hard to believe that he's gone ...

... but on the brighter side of things, I'm looking forward this season on our games against the Bulls and watch Randle have a career night against Pau ... :lol:
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#92 » by Edrees » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:39 pm

I can't believe Meeks got a better contract than Pau. I can't be the only one who thinks Pau took much less than he's worth.

Gonna miss him he played his heart out for us.
tenten
Junior
And1: 32

Post#93 » by tenten » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm so glad that he's gone. He was so horrible to watch last year despite those stats that he put up.
I think he's dumb for taking less money. It's not like he needs a ring before he retires. He already has a couple rings. I bet he won't win any more rings with the Bulls.

Thanks for not taking the money Pau, we will be in deep trouble if you accept our 2/3 year deals and get higher pay than Dirk. Speaking of Dirk, I still remember how you FOUL Dirk at the end for NO reason and gave away game 1 of that series where we got swept. That was the beginning of our down fall. We should celebrate that this "garbage" is gone for good.

The Pau era should have ended long time ago if not for the stupid basketball reason.
KobeKenobi
Senior
And1: 222

Post#94 » by KobeKenobi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:07 am

Great big man. Classy guy and very humble.
TheMidnightSun
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#95 » by TheMidnightSun » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:39 am

dockingsched wrote:Hope to see his jersey retired at Staples Center one day.

this
dockingsched wrote:so glad cp3 took the timeout, couldn't take seeing the lakers scored on 4 on 5.
Get17
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#96 » by Get17 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:46 am

I loved me some Pau Pau but for him to forego a 2/23 here for a 3/22 in Chicago... hurts man. It'll be sad not running into him in Redondo in the grocery store.
GOAT 5: Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain, Johnson, Jordan, Russell; Next 5: Bird, Bryant, Duncan, Oneal, Robertson; Third 5: Erving, James, Olajuwon, Pettit, West; Knocked-Out: Malone
carlquincy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,149

Post#97 » by carlquincy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:00 am

Hope Gasol does well in Chicago. Appreciate what he contributed during his time here.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#98 » by Penberthy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:23 pm

The hate on here for Pau is absolutely hilarious. He is going to get 6th man of the year next year coming off the bench for Noah and Taj. When he comes in they can run their O through him, and please name a single 2nd string PF or C that he can't dominate on the defensive end? In the EAST?

16 8 and 3 for Pau as the backup
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#99 » by ak7 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:28 pm

Penberthy wrote:The hate on here for Pau is absolutely hilarious. He is going to get 6th man of the year next year coming off the bench for Noah and Taj. When he comes in they can run their O through him, and please name a single 2nd string PF or C that he can't dominate on the defensive end? In the EAST?

16 8 and 3 for Pau as the backup

:crazy:

Put some money on this, please.
MalikJoakim24
Banned User
And1: 3,420

Post#100 » by MalikJoakim24 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:45 pm

From his press conference with the Bulls earlier (regarding: Kobe):

Pau: It was difficult telling Kobe. We have a close relationship and been through a lot together. Our relationship goes behind basketball. We will always have a friendship. He was very supportive and he understood and told me to do what was the best for me and right for me. That's what friends and brothers do and thats what we are.

And thought this was a great mix of Pau's time in LAL:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZR494y2cw[/youtube]

Return to Los Angeles Lakers