ImageImageImageImageImage

Oh yes! Your prediction for next year.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,188

Oh yes! Your prediction for next year. 

Post#1 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:06 am

You guys must of seen this coming, especially with all the other posts.

Now we have pretty much an entire roster, with maybe 1 more signing either PG/PF/C or even a trade in the mix?

Where do you all think Lakers will be end of the season?

Starters
Lin
Kobe
Wes
Randle
Hill

Bench
Clarkson
Nash
Marshall // Sacre ???
Young
Davis
Kelly
Henry
Boozer

Did I miss anyone?

I'm still standing by what I said end of last season - See Sig

5th - 7th seed and 2nd round exit. La will surprise a lot of teams and haters out there

Just as long as La can stay healthy that's the key part there.
Bring back Defense
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Re: Oh yes! Your prediction for next year. 

Post#2 » by Mirjalovic » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:46 am

4-8th seed and probably WCF runner up if they gel and get excellent chemistry.

this team better than pundits imagine. You'll see.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#3 » by ROballer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:49 am

Not making the playoffs! :evil:
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#4 » by Laker_Kid » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:19 pm

well we signed most of the guys from last year. which is good. i think the problem we had before was playing the role players as starters. they just really dont belong there. with the offseason moves and kobe returning, those guys can now go back to their roles. i think they are the making of a solid bench.

lin kobe boozer are starting material for obvious reasons
hill randle are maybes
young 6th man and the rest are role players

hopefully, we can flip them for starter (allstar/superstar) caliber type players.

that said. i think we may be lucky to make the playoffs but there is definitely a good chance.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#5 » by hermes » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:19 pm

make the playoffs
82-0 record
and a championship
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#6 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:41 pm

This team can make the playoffs or at least be in the hunt for it. People forget how damaging injuries can be to a season. Yet all you keep reading is guys saying the team can't make the playoffs. Give a detailed reason why ?

Last season we had a team full of D-League level guys and guys that actually played D-League, and they still pushed out 27 wins. Also people forget that they got to 11-10 at one point and that point was exactly when Kobe came back. The thought was just tread water until Kobe got back, and they did that.

I've been looking at NBA ball for far too long to see this is and will be a very competitive team. There was a litany of reasons why we sunk last season, bad coaching, bad system/players didn't fit system, injuries, no consistency and so on.

But what irks me is when guys here and outsiders say this team can't make the playoffs. I can give several valid reasons why the teams that made the 6th, 7th and 8th seeds will take a step back. Those teams could very well have the injury bug hit them. But in more concrete terms the reasons for those teams ( Golden St.,Memphis and Dallas ) sliding back is because those teams are already playing on a thin line.

If the Warriors move Klay Thompson for Love, they're gonna be worse defensively. Memphis added Vince Carter but I don't see it being that big a boost. And Dallas added Tyson Chandler who hasn't played 70+ games since he was in Dallas 3 years ago.

These teams are primed for set backs, in fact outside of the Spurs, OKC and the Clippers, any team under them can slip back for several reasons. Bottom line is you have to play the games and it's like I said in another post it's up to the Lakers to bust through that door if they want to compete for the playoffs. It's no lock that other than the 3 teams I listed, that those teams finish in the same playoff spots again.

If the Lakers didn't have a team I thought couldn't compete, I'd be the first to say it ain't happen'in. But when you have a team with a Kobe Bryant that is hungry to prove himself, this team has a chance.

And like I said last year, the goal is to be decent over the next two years, we got an idea on what amount of games this task will require. And my stance on that is take care of HOME, and everything else will work itself out.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#7 » by islander009 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:58 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:This team can make the playoffs or at least be in the hunt for it. People forget how damaging injuries can be to a season. Yet all you keep reading is guys saying the team can't make the playoffs. Give a detailed reason why ?

Last season we had a team full of D-League level guys and guys that actually played D-League, and they still pushed out 27 wins. Also people forget that they got to 11-10 at one point and that point was exactly when Kobe came back. The thought was just tread water until Kobe got back, and they did that.

I've been looking at NBA ball for far too long to see this is and will be a very competitive team. There was a litany of reasons why we sunk last season, bad coaching, bad system/players didn't fit system, injuries, no consistency and so on.

But what irks me is when guys here and outsiders say this team can't make the playoffs. I can give several valid reasons why the teams that made the 6th, 7th and 8th seeds will take a step back. Those teams could very well have the injury bug hit them. But in more concrete terms the reasons for those teams ( Golden St.,Memphis and Dallas ) sliding back is because those teams are already playing on a thin line.

If the Warriors move Klay Thompson for Love, they're gonna be worse defensively. Memphis added Vince Carter but I don't see it being that big a boost. And Dallas added Tyson Chandler who hasn't played 70+ games since he was in Dallas 3 years ago.

These teams are primed for set backs, in fact outside of the Spurs, OKC and the Clippers, any team under them can slip back for several reasons. Bottom line is you have to play the games and it's like I said in another post it's up to the Lakers to bust through that door if they want to compete for the playoffs. It's no lock that other than the 3 teams I listed, that those teams finish in the same playoff spots again.

If the Lakers didn't have a team I thought couldn't compete, I'd be the first to say it ain't happen'in. But when you have a team with a Kobe Bryant that is hungry to prove himself, this team has a chance.

And like I said last year, the goal is to be decent over the next two years, we got an idea on what amount of games this task will require. And my stance on that is take care of HOME, and everything else will work itself out.

Always great insight Deep and I agree!

Lakers were hit hard by the injury bug for two hole seasons. Nash, Kobe, Dwight, Hill, farmar, x, Kaman, Blake, etc. our team last season and prior to that was hurt massively with injuries. We never really got to see how Nash and kobe played because from the first week Nash broke a bone in his leg. Then it was the next man up. Honesty injuries occur to everyone and every team it was bound to happen but I firmly believe our coaches did not take that to account and ran our players to the ground with the high mins. Our rotation was never deep enough. Older teams like SAS have learned to monitor mins even at the expense of some games and this has helped them in the long run. We aren't playing ball for 10 games it's 82 games and then playoffs.

Anyways I do hope we do have better player management this year with new coaching staff. I do believe with an70% kobe we are still a dangerous team. Young beast in randle. Rest of the team is full of capable players in this league. Lin isn't the best pg but he is I pretty good passer and can run an offense. Young can score from anywhere. X is a good slasher another capable scorer. We is a long and i mean long defender who can hit the 3. Hill is a energy player that is basically your garbage man with and improved jumper. Davis I haven't seen much of him but seen some highlights can be our rim protector that we have been looking for. Think his frame can handle more weight but hopefully can still keep his explosiveness and may turn into a ibaka super lite as I just think his shot can improve but his man to man defense will be the biggest difference as ibaka is better than him. Boozer is a veteran who can mentor randle from the offensive standpoint. Defensively has always been a liability. Clarkson is developing faster than I expected and see a bit of monta/ rondo but will be seen how he does over the course of the season. Scare is your 6 foul center ready to bang down low.

Honestly was hoping for Marion to sign for vets min as I think he would help us defensively. Randle and boozer at the 4 is a liability but if Davis turns to be a great weak side protector would be nice to have Marion who is still capable to slide down to help defend the open man. But realistically don't see him signing for the minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#8 » by islander009 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Lol mybad that entire rant and no prediction was given. Personally feel that we will contend for the 7-8 spot in the west. GS and Mem are borderline teams that haven't really made any significant changes. Hou. Pho, and Dal have made some significant changes by losing some quality players and can see them rolling down and our out of the playoffs and us slipping in.

Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 869

Post#9 » by Wile E. Coyote » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm going to say 38-44. Good enough to lose their pick and bad enough not to make the playoffs.
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#10 » by desertlakerfan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:43 pm

A frustrating season where we either barely miss the playoffs, or get in as a 8th seed. That's what this roster is capable of unfortunately.

People forget how deep the West is. Sure our team looks decent on paper, but there were quite a few better looking teams that missed the playoffs last year and many of the other teams in our conference improved.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#11 » by guest81 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Come on lets be honest. They were 22 games back from the 8th seed last year. I wouldn't exactly give them the benefit of the doubt of being injury free with Nash and Kobe coming off bad injuries.

Oh and come on to the person who said 4-5 seed, 28 game game difference between the 4-5 seed and the Lakers last year. Even adding Lebron James to that team still wouldn't make up that kind of gap
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,037

Post#12 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:22 pm

11th seed
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#13 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Depends on a lot of factors: Injuries, coaching, Kobe's health.

The few positives that I see so far are the fact that we have (again) a ton of players in the last year of their contract, which means they'll want to produce at a high level. Lin, Hill, Randle, Henry will all have chips on their shoulder and have a lot to prove.

Our bench is also pretty strong, the one weakness I see so far is the scoring in the first unit. Other than Lin, Kobe, and Randle, nobody else can create their own shot. I fully expect Young and Boozer to produce off the bench, and if Nash can give us 15-17 minutes a night, perfect.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#14 » by EArl » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Playoffs 7th to 8th seed. Either your with me or your against me. :king:
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#15 » by AcecardZ » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:29 pm

I'd love to see us retain our top five protected lottery pick but for that to happen we're going to have to be ultra bad and I'm not sure I can stomach that.

So, outside of Luckboxing a retention of our pick I'd be thrilled if Kobe plays well enough to still be considered a top 10 pitl. I'd be thrilled if by the end of the season Randle has solidified a role in the starting lineup and last but not least....

How cool would it be for the Lakers to grab the #8 seed in the playoffs and go on and shock the world by beating SA in the first round? Anything beyond all of that would be gravy.

I do think an 8 seed is possible but Kobe would have to beast. Randle would have to probably be better than expected and the rest team would have to stay healthy for a majority of the season.

I'm excited to watch Kobe, Randle, Davis, Kelly and Lin. Not so thrilled about Boozah!

We do not have a great team by any means but there's absolutely no reason we can't have an enjoyable season anyway!

Go Lakers!

Prediction.... 41 wins and shocking the world by knocking SA out of the playoffs in the first round.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#16 » by Kilroy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm going to get stupid and say 6th...

We were fighting for 6th before Kobe went down and I think this team has the potential to be more consistent than that mess of a team with Howard.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#17 » by chefy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 pm

with everyone healthy, 45 wins and 2nd round playoff appearance.
MikeXL
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#18 » by MikeXL » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:46 pm

I think you guys will be a fun as **** 6-8th seed.

Will be watching all your games this year. My body has never been more ready for a Lin/Kobe/Nash backcourt.
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 869

Post#19 » by Wile E. Coyote » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:53 pm

I just don't expect old Kobe. I expect a Kobe that's going to have a line like 18/4/6 in about 65 games. With him being far and away the best player, I just can't see them pushing more than 40 wins.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#20 » by Doormatt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:00 am

islander009 wrote:Lol mybad that entire rant and no prediction was given. Personally feel that we will contend for the 7-8 spot in the west. GS and Mem are borderline teams that haven't really made any significant changes. Hou. Pho, and Dal have made some significant changes by losing some quality players and can see them rolling down and our out of the playoffs and us slipping in.

huh???? how are memphis and golden state borderline teams? the warriors were 4th in SRS with Bogut only playing 27 games last year and barnes actually getting worse, i really dont know wtf youre talking about there. if they can stay healthy i think there starting lineup is arguably the best in the league, bogut+iggy make their defense dominant and obviously with shooters like curry+klay they can outscore anyone. only issue with GS is their health, regardless they are definitely a top 3 team in the west. and as far as memphis, they got the 7th seed with gasol constantly injured, they are going to improve purely off the fact that gasol will be healthy this season.

both GS and Memphis dont need any additions, they just need to stay healthy this season and they will be better solely because of it.

houston got worse but Dallas gained by adding Parsons+Chandler and only losing Calderon. Suns gained Isaiah Thomas too, that more than offsets losing Frye. plus the Suns will get better much like GS/Memphis if Bledsoe can stay healthy.

i dont see how we make the playoffs this season, the only team that got worse was Houston and they are still clearly better than us.
#doorgek

Return to Los Angeles Lakers