Julius Randle: Expectations?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Re: Julius Randle: Expectations? 

Post#41 » by RollingWave » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:39 am

Lost Angel wrote:
Kilroy wrote:If Randle could scratch out 10min a game as a rookie, and make a significant contribution with those minutes, I'd consider season 1 an overwhelming success for him.

really? I definitely see him playing 20 mpg or more

Yeah, I don't know if he'll be as good as some folks expect, but I think he's definately going to get the minutes to prove if he can be , so I'll be surprised if it's 10mpg, it would either mean that he's an unmigitated disaster or that the Lakers are so surprisingly competitive that they can't afford to test him out. neither seems that likely.
The river of time wash away all heroes
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#42 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:22 am

Slava wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Slava wrote:
He's nothing like T Jones.

I must admit I've never watched Randle play, just read about him and there are quite a few similarities: can handle the ball well, athletic, good at offensive rebounds, has some range, need to work on D, slightly undersized at the 4 but not really suitable for the 3, a bit like Odom, went to the same program, left quite early etc.

So, how are they so different besides TJones likes to shoot long range more and Randle has more toughness/aggressiveness?

Some interesting stuff I found:

http://kykernel.com/2014/03/02/jones-ra ... ilarities/

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1197353

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/terrence- ... ius-randle

Jones fundamentally avoids contact both in offense and defense, randle kind of thrives on taking contact and finishing plays with it. Randle without a proper nba strength regimen is already a bull like player with his strength, jones looks big but plays small.

Cool, that's why I said Randle has more toughness and aggressiveness. So a little bit like Thomas Robinson? Combination of TJones and TRob? :lol:
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#43 » by Slava » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:52 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Slava wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:I must admit I've never watched Randle play, just read about him and there are quite a few similarities: can handle the ball well, athletic, good at offensive rebounds, has some range, need to work on D, slightly undersized at the 4 but not really suitable for the 3, a bit like Odom, went to the same program, left quite early etc.

So, how are they so different besides TJones likes to shoot long range more and Randle has more toughness/aggressiveness?

Some interesting stuff I found:

http://kykernel.com/2014/03/02/jones-ra ... ilarities/

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1197353

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/terrence- ... ius-randle

Jones fundamentally avoids contact both in offense and defense, randle kind of thrives on taking contact and finishing plays with it. Randle without a proper nba strength regimen is already a bull like player with his strength, jones looks big but plays small.

Cool, that's why I said Randle has more toughness and aggressiveness. So a little bit like Thomas Robinson? Combination of TJones and TRob? :lol:

Can't you pick a couple of less depressing players to make a comparison for a lottery pick? Randle has more talent in his fingernails than Thomas Robinson has in his entire body.

You wouldn't hesitate one bit to compare Lin to Stockton yet keep making crappy comparisons for a player you haven't even seen play. :lol:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#44 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:41 pm

RollingWave wrote:
Lost Angel wrote:
Kilroy wrote:If Randle could scratch out 10min a game as a rookie, and make a significant contribution with those minutes, I'd consider season 1 an overwhelming success for him.

Yeah, I don't know if he'll be as good as some folks expect, but I think he's definately going to get the minutes to prove if he can be , so I'll be surprised if it's 10mpg, it would either mean that he's an unmigitated disaster or that the Lakers are so surprisingly competitive that they can't afford to test him out. neither seems that likely.

He has to beat out either Boozer or Davis as a rookie, and he has to stay on the court all year... That's tough to do for Rooks... They tend to hit a wall at all star break.

That said, you're both getting tunnel vision on the number 10 and not thinking about what I wrote... Of course I hope he gets more PT... Of course I hope he has a phenomenal season... Hell I think ROY is possible...

But there's no pressure on him to do that. And even if all he gets is 10min a game, as long as he's learning, getting stronger, and developing as a player, it's still a successful season for him. There are no championship expectations for this team right now, so let's focus on developing our most valuable asset and keeping him healthy, rather than pushing him to overachieve right now.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#45 » by Tonyism74 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 pm

One of the better more realistic expectations of Randle here. In my opinion, between Randle and Boozer, there will be enough time to spread, one is aging, one is beginning...lots of opportunity in between.

Kilroy wrote:
RollingWave wrote:
Lost Angel wrote:

He has to beat out either Boozer or Davis as a rookie, and he has to stay on the court all year... That's tough to do for Rooks... They tend to hit a wall at all star break.

That said, you're both getting tunnel vision on the number 10 and not thinking about what I wrote... Of course I hope he gets more PT... Of course I hope he has a phenomenal season... Hell I think ROY is possible...

But there's no pressure on him to do that. And even if all he gets is 10min a game, as long as he's learning, getting stronger, and developing as a player, it's still a successful season for him. There are no championship expectations for this team right now, so let's focus on developing our most valuable asset and keeping him healthy, rather than pushing him to overachieve right now.
Yes, im posting all over again!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#46 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Slava wrote:Can't you pick a couple of less depressing players to make a comparison for a lottery pick? Randle has more talent in his fingernails than Thomas Robinson has in his entire body.

You wouldn't hesitate one bit to compare Lin to Stockton yet keep making crappy comparisons for a player you haven't even seen play. :lol:

OKOK, my bad! I was just kidding~~ But hey, the big difference was that I have seen Lin play but haven't seen Randle play! I was just talking on top of my head, it's just an impression or imagination, so to speak. On the other hand, I was merely seeing what GP and Magic saw afterall!

Well, hey, TRob hasn't been doing well but he was a fifth pick afterall; he must have some talent (at least on a college court) and if you take his strength and combine it with TJones' strength that might make a real good player! These two are still young players contributing to playoff teams, who knows? Maybe one of them'll turn out to be all star?

Well, we'll see what he can do on an NBA court! Then maybe I'll make a comparison to one of the greats! 8-)
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#47 » by Jakay » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Kilroy wrote:ROY, League MVP and Finals MVP

I mean, I guess that's reasonable if you don't buy all the hype.
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#48 » by Lost Angel » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Kilroy wrote:
RollingWave wrote:
Lost Angel wrote:

the way you wrote it made it seem like you anticipated him not being successful. now that you expanded upon your thoughts, it makes more sense.

I disagree however. Develop him for the future by letting him play. and he needs to play more than 10-15mpg to do so.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#49 » by RollingWave » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 am

Kilroy wrote:

Both of those guys are on 1 year deals and unlikely to be long term plans for the Lakers (especially Boozer, while Davis wasn't able to become a full time starter in either Toronto or Memphis. hell he barely got 15 mins a game with Memphis last year. )

So unless Randle suck so bad that he can't stay on the floor, or Davis / Boozer and the team somehow play well beyond expected, the odds seems pretty good that Randle should at least get 20mpg. Watching his scouting report you get the impression that

1. he has clear offensive skills that should translate right away in the NBA.
2. he's far from a freak athlete
3. he is bad in areas all rookies are bad at . (defense mainly.)

Most of the time rookies that have trouble staying on the floor tend to be those that has too raw of an offensive game (and doesn't have other obvious strength to make up for it.) Randle shouldn't have that problem, but I do have some doubts of his long term growth in that his sort of a prawling slow big in the Zbo mode, and he doesn't seem to have much of an game out of attacking in post ups (tunnel vision, no real outside touch, not much of an off ball game.) so he needs to either figure those out or be a good defender (not just a good rebounder.) to really be a star in this league, instead of just a solid player. we'll see.

Health is a real concern obviously, but that really should effect games played more than per game stats, since if there is a real concern there you just don't play him at all and let him rehab / rest. instead of playing him 10 min on a bad foot while he still need to go through all sorts of other workouts.
The river of time wash away all heroes
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#50 » by willywazza » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:27 am

I originally had him starting and averaging 12-14ppg and 7-9 rebounds on 46-50% shooting.

The arrival of Boozer complicates things. I'm not sure who is the starter now. Definitely think this is the last year Boozer has as a starter. I can see Scott opting to start Boozer instead of Randle.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#51 » by Kobe System » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:40 am

50% bust - 50% above average.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#52 » by EArl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:56 am

I think he has 12 and 9 his first season
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
JSURI444
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#53 » by JSURI444 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:54 am

Well the stats i think r:
GP- 80
GS- 35-40
Min- 24-29
Pts- 14
Reb- 8-10
Ast-2.5-3
Stl- .5-1
Blk- 1
To- 2.5-3.5.
If lakers make playoffs he will come of bench bcuz i have a feeling boozer will resurrect his career
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#54 » by CodyB_ » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:39 am

JSURI444 wrote:Well the stats i think r:
GP- 80
GS- 35-40
Min- 24-29
Pts- 14
Reb- 8-10
Ast-2.5-3
Stl- .5-1
Blk- 1
To- 2.5-3.5.
If lakers make playoffs he will come of bench bcuz i have a feeling boozer will resurrect his career

Are you kidding?

3.5 TO per game? 8-10 rebound in 24-29 minutes?

'The usage of Allen Iverson coupled with the DRB% of Kevin love".
Don't be a jerk.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#55 » by LApwnd » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:35 pm

best case 15/7, terrible case 10/5
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#56 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Aug 5, 2014 9:11 pm

I have no idea what to expect in terms of numbers because i have absolutely no idea of what minutes he'll receive.

So in 15 mpg I expect 7/8ppg 4rpg
For 20mpg 10ppg 5.5rpg
For 25mpg 13ppg/7rpg

45%FG. Rookies shoot poorly even rookie bigs. Heck lebron shot 40%FG his first year.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,400

Post#57 » by Danny Darko » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:34 pm

really curious to see if Scott does his normal "I hate rookies" thing or he plays him lottery pick minutes. He talks like he's going to love him, but... old habits.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#58 » by dockingsched » Wed Aug 6, 2014 1:54 am

I anticipate his rookie year to be a real struggle. While he has some great strengths that I think will result in a perennial all star, right now he has some glaring weaknesses that will get exploited on a nightly basis. I'm mostly referring to his total lack of off hand that for a post player can be a kiss of death and to a lesser extent his still developing jumper. He'll need a full NBA season and full off season to get that sorted out.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#59 » by Slava » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:27 am

Sooner or later he's going to have to develop a corner 3, if I were him, I'd look to work out with Chris Bosh next offseason to develop his offensive skills.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#60 » by EArl » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:38 am

The offhand hand thing wlll kill him the most. He really should start working on that already.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;

Return to Los Angeles Lakers