Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,400

Re: LA Lakers introduce Jeremy Lin 

Post#21 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:Yeah I dug all the interviews and he's way low on sleep.

I wasn't sure if it was that or he was just meh about being a Laker... I'll reserve judgement.

Since we're rebuilding right now, we really need guys that are stoked to be Lakers... My concern with Lin is that he's got so much support from the Asian Community, he doesn't feel the same pressure as other players... I mean he feels pressure BECAUSE of the support he gets from the Asian community, but he knows that they'll follow him wherever he goes, so it can be more about him that how his team does like other players...
Gotta say, that press conference had the warning lights flashing a little bit for me...

I'll wait and see how he adapts though.

listen to the Max and Marcellus interview here, he goes in to detail about being so excited he didn't sleep at all.

Lin segment starts at 13:00
yunaclf
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#22 » by yunaclf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:04 pm

He just came back from Asia. It's probably jetlag.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#23 » by Dr Aki » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzRDdLWVdP0[/youtube]

this is a sappy watch (if you're into that sort of thing) if you understand the taiwanese-accented mandarin (or can read the chinese subtitles), which i'm not sure how many people do on this forum, either way jeremy (at this point in time) only speaks in english.

overall, you don't really need to understand the mandarin as jeremy's answers pretty much give away what the questions were

jeremy here is incredibly liberal with the God praising stuff, which is kinda off-putting for me and gets pretty damn nauseous by the end), he's practically an asian mark jackson

his mum is generally asked what she and the family felt and did to support jeremy in getting him to his dream of playing in the NBA or how she felt when she was hearing all the racist remarks while jeremy was in college or what she told jeremy to have a backup plan (of studying) if bball didn't work out

anyway, a few tidbits about the lakers from this interview:

apparently, the lakers wanted to pick jeremy at pick 58 but didn't, in fact, a bunch of teams thought highly of lin to extend semi-draft offers, but didn't. then donny nelson and the mavs played the God angle on jeremy and picked jeremy up for their summer league team where he blew up and GS extended jeremy the best deal (most guaranteed money, close to home and playstyle)

also it was hilarious hearing that all the other asian mums were bagging jeremy's mum for letting jeremy play bball and wasting time and effort instead of studying, to going to asking her what sport their kids should play so their kids could get into harvard
kinein
Rookie
And1: 119

Post#24 » by kinein » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:50 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
kinein wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:I hope he watches all the videos of his turnovers; cutting turnovers should be one of his primary goals.

Good idea, not AI, Manu, Jarrett Jack, Jamal Crawford or Nate Robinson.

Robert Horry brought up the fact that Magic had a lot of turnovers and that stressing that detail wasn't important. Because in Lin's case he is trying to get the ball to his teammates just like Magic.

If you review stats for TOs and the best PGs in the game I think it allows for a better perspective.

Your going to have turnovers - its part of the game.

You're dam right, agreed; or just look at Stockton and Kidd. However, his situation and Magic's are very different and he can't afford to commit so many turnovers at this stage of his career. At the moment, he's considered by many a role player and a superstar can commit more turnovers in this league. In addition, one must admit that unnecessarily TOs is one of his most glaring weaknesses and would benefit him and his team in a major way if addressed.

I agree but I'll also point out that he has made a lot of improvements and if you look at his TO's from 2012 - through 2013 and 2014, the numbers show he has improved a lot. When you compare last seasons TO averages and then look at the top 10 PGs in the West. Its not a "glaring weakness". I'm just saying all this after looking at TO's for other guards in the league, one reference I use is Steve Nash and his entire career.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#25 » by 6_Rings » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:46 pm

my favorite underdog. average last season but more due to McHale and Harden's doing. without them, Nash as mentor and an expiring contract, I think he'll play out of his mind and deliver.
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 460

Post#26 » by swyftdahoe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 pm

I've always been a Lakers hater (hated young Kobe) but I'm begrudgingly cheering for them this year.
I think the additions of Lin, Boozer, Randle AND a returning Kobe.. that's plenty of offense.. and I think they can surprise this year!
MikeXL
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#27 » by MikeXL » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Jeremy Lin was a 13/6 and 12/4 guard on good efficiency while being terribly used.

I think he has all star talent and I think you guys got a steal. I think the kid is that good.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#28 » by 13th Man » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:14 am

Kilroy wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:Yeah I dug all the interviews and he's way low on sleep.

I wasn't sure if it was that or he was just meh about being a Laker... I'll reserve judgement.

Since we're rebuilding right now, we really need guys that are stoked to be Lakers... My concern with Lin is that he's got so much support from the Asian Community, he doesn't feel the same pressure as other players... I mean he feels pressure BECAUSE of the support he gets from the Asian community, but he knows that they'll follow him wherever he goes, so it can be more about him that how his team does like other players...
Gotta say, that press conference had the warning lights flashing a little bit for me...

I'll wait and see how he adapts though.

I'm sure he's stoked, I think he's more mature now in that he doesn't want to put too much pressure on himself like he did the 1st year in Houston only to be let down. All the hoopla that surrounds him day in and day out including that of the Asian community has also helped him deal with public pressure better, he's had a world of experience coping with these type of situations so I'm not surprised that he's become world class at keeping composure and being poised under any media related situation.

My take on Lin is that while he appreciates the support from the Asian community and is proud to be an Asian-American, it's not about race and his goal is not to play for the Asian community. Ultimately, he wants to have fun and make his team better by playing his style of basketball, something that was missing during his time in Houston.

His true excitement will be shown on the court and I'm sure he's going to put it all out there for this team.
b shaw20
Bench Warmer
And1: 60

Post#29 » by b shaw20 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:55 am

swyftdahoe wrote:I've always been a Lakers hater (hated young Kobe) but I'm begrudgingly cheering for them this year.
I think the additions of Lin, Boozer, Randle AND a returning Kobe.. that's plenty of offense.. and I think they can surprise this year!

You picked the wrong year to jump on the Laker bandwagon dude....

Have a seat, there is plenty of room.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#30 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:39 am

kinein wrote:I agree but I'll also point out that he has made a lot of improvements and if you look at his TO's from 2012 - through 2013 and 2014, the numbers show he has improved a lot.

Agreed, he has to, especially dribbling under pressure, playing against Beverley in practice.
When you compare last seasons TO averages and then look at the top 10 PGs in the West. Its not a "glaring weakness". I'm just saying all this after looking at TO's for other guards in the league, one reference I use is Steve Nash and his entire career.

Well, if you just look at his TO averages, that's true, but if you look at the assists/TO ratio he still has some way to go. Work hard Jeremy!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
KobeKenobi
Senior
And1: 222

Post#31 » by KobeKenobi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:00 am

Really like this. To have a real point guard and not having to rely on Goudelocke, Darius Morris, and omg...Duhon these last couple of season! Man, this is a huge pickup for us.
kinein
Rookie

Post#32 » by kinein » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:30 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
kinein wrote:I agree but I'll also point out that he has made a lot of improvements and if you look at his TO's from 2012 - through 2013 and 2014, the numbers show he has improved a lot.

Agreed, he has to, especially dribbling pressure, playing against Beverley in practice.
When you compare last seasons TO averages and then look at the top 10 PGs in the West. Its not a "glaring weakness". I'm just saying all this after looking at TO's for other guards in the league, one reference I use is Steve Nash and his entire career.

Well, if you just look at his TO averages, that's true, but if you look at the assists/TO ratio he still has some way to go. Work hard Jeremy!

Agreed. But in his situation, those on the ball chances to create assist opportunities were split between Harden and Beverly - Lin was more or less reduced from the equation. The most glaring example was the last series game vs the Blazers. For an entire 4th quarter Lin had shut-out Lillard whom he was tasked with defending and for 11minutes and 59 seconds Lin had him cold. Til he was pulled off the floor with .9 seconds to go.

You can't do as much if your literally being forced to stand in a corner and watch half the time, and the other half of the time you spend it on the bench. It just was a unique situation. It was what it was and I'm glad thats over with.
kinein
Rookie

Post#33 » by kinein » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:30 am

KobeKenobi wrote:Really like this. To have a real point guard and not having to rely on Goudelocke, Darius Morris, and omg...Duhon these last couple of season! Man, this is a huge pickup for us.

Lakers have been hurting for a guard for a while, the good thing is Lin is a bit of a hybrid, not a pure PG not a pure SG. I'm looking forward to him complementing Kobe well.

Its about WINS. Laker WINS. Thats all that matters.

Nash takes the cake for best welcome.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgSq1q-XWnI[/youtube]
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#34 » by leeprettyp » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:24 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7obQoYX_vhY[/youtube]
KobeKenobi
Senior
And1: 222

Post#35 » by KobeKenobi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:53 am

I think Both Lin and Kobe have high IQs and they are going to mesh well right off the bat. I think Lin will be able to run a lot of PNR with our bigs...Davis especially since he is a great finisher. We won't have problems on the offensive end.

It's the defensive end we need to worry about. :nod:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#36 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:01 am

kinein wrote:Agreed. But in his situation, those on the ball chances to create assist opportunities were split between Harden and Beverly - Lin was more or less reduced from the equation. The most glaring example was the last series game vs the Blazers. For an entire 4th quarter Lin had shut-out Lillard whom he was tasked with defending and for 11minutes and 59 seconds Lin had him cold. Til he was pulled off the floor with .9 seconds to go.

You can't do as much if your literally being forced to stand in a corner and watch half the time, and the other half of the time you spend it on the bench. It just was a unique situation. It was what it was and I'm glad thats over with.

Totally true, but when he didn't have as many assists opportunities, his TOs should decrease in proportion. Unfortunately, it's still quite high. Again, I think he should work on his TOs this summer by watching tapes.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
kinein
Rookie

Post#37 » by kinein » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:06 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
kinein wrote:Agreed. But in his situation, those on the ball chances to create assist opportunities were split between Harden and Beverly - Lin was more or less reduced from the equation. The most glaring example was the last series game vs the Blazers. For an entire 4th quarter Lin had shut-out Lillard whom he was tasked with defending and for 11minutes and 59 seconds Lin had him cold. Til he was pulled off the floor with .9 seconds to go.

Totally true, but when he didn't have as many assists opportunities, his TOs should decrease in proportion. Unfortunately, it's still quite high. Again, I think he should work on his TOs this summer by watching tapes.

Worth noting and of course it should be something he works on. Looking forward to how he performs this season!
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#38 » by spaceballer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Jeremy Lin's Instagram wrote:new team, new number, new beginningsImage http://instagram.com/p/q1-DxxuP7u
spaceballer
Head Coach

Post#39 » by spaceballer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opClJoReBcg[/youtube]
spaceballer
Head Coach

Post#40 » by spaceballer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Most creative use of the #17 that I've seen.
http://teespring.com/lin17ambigram

Return to Los Angeles Lakers