ImageImageImageImageImage

This Team Has Great Offensive Symmetry and Defined Roles

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

This Team Has Great Offensive Symmetry and Defined Roles 

Post#1 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:47 am

Lin is a large, attacking PG who is capable of putting up big numbers -- his backup, Clarkson, is eerily similar. Both of their roles is to attack the basket and to be constant offensive threats while on the floor.

Kobe is the first option and designated go-to guy -- his backup, Young, is eerily similar. Both of their roles is to be the first option on their respective squads.

Hill is an athletic rebounding, defensive C -- his backup, Davis, is a near carbon copy of Hill with less nurturing. Both of their roles is to rebound, defend, hustle, and knock down occsional open jumpshots.

Boozer is a rebounding, scoring PF who has a versatile skillset -- his backup, Randle, is also a skilled big who rebounds and scores.

Johnson is a classic offensive role-player/stand-in for a more talented sixth man. He is a garbage-man asked to knock down shots and provide hustle -- his backup is committeed. Young/Kobe will get the brunt of the backup minutes, offering the lone position where there is an offensive/defensive FOIL. Henry will be asked to symmetrically match Johnson defensively and will get leftover minutes at SF with the opportunity to become a starter if Johnson gets hurt.

**Boozer will also get minutes at C, taking some of Davis' backup minutes to free up more minutes for "the kid".**

If the Lakers hire a coach who sees what I see offensively, yet has the X and O acumen to create an offensive and defensive system in which all of these pieces fit, this team will make many of you all look like fools.

... pretty sure that coach is George Karl -- Scott ain't the end of the world, but he's probably too abrasive to maximize the entire 9-man rotation -- while I'm confident Karl can.
ratra_1211
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Re: This Team Has Great Offensive Symmetry and Defined Roles 

Post#2 » by ratra_1211 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:34 am

ALL HAIL wrote:Lin is a large, attacking PG who is capable of putting up big numbers -- his backup, Clarkson, is eerily similar. Both of their roles is to attack the basket and to be constant offensive threats while on the floor.

Kobe is the first option and designated go-to guy -- his backup, Young, is eerily similar. Both of their roles is to be the first option on their respective squads.

Hill is an athletic rebounding, defensive C -- his backup, Davis, is a near carbon copy of Hill with less nurturing. Both of their roles is to rebound, defend, hustle, and knock down occsional open jumpshots.

Boozer is a rebounding, scoring PF who has a versatile skillset -- his backup, Randle, is also a skilled big who rebounds and scores.

Johnson is a classic offensive role-player/stand-in for a more talented sixth man. He is a garbage-man asked to knock down shots and provide hustle -- his backup is committeed. Young/Kobe will get the brunt of the backup minutes, offering the lone position where there is an offensive/defensive FOIL. Henry will be asked to symmetrically match Johnson defensively and will get leftover minutes at SF with the opportunity to become a starter if Johnson gets hurt.

**Boozer will also get minutes at C, taking some of Davis' backup minutes to free up more minutes for "the kid".**

If the Lakers hire a coach who sees what I see offensively, yet has the X and O acumen to create an offensive and defensive system in which all of these pieces fit, this team will make many of you all look like fools.

i agree with you.. except wesley johnson ain't doin' jack offensively imo.. last year he looks awful with his 3pt shot.. but atleast he is willing to defend and finish in transition.

plus i think we should start randle.. but who knows.. both of them can't really stop anybody.. and boozer dont produce as much either on the offensive end

i think our line up should be:

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/Xavier
Wesley/Young
Randle/Boozer/Kelly
Hill/Ed/Sacre

atleast with wesley and Hill in the mix they would hustle on D and our bench would be bombastic on offense with Ed davis "anchoring" the middle

... pretty sure that coach is George Karl -- Scott ain't the end of the world, but he's probably too abrasive to maximize the entire 9-man rotation -- while I'm confident Karl can.

im kinda sick of high tempo offense.. it break our players down.. i hope we can play an offense with controlled pace that emphasize defense and inside-out ball movement..

i dont know what to expect of coach scott though
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#3 » by Tee212 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 am

agree with rata....wes is garbo on the offense. his 3 was unreliable, he scores best on tip ins and transition dunks. his goto move is a jab step n shot lol.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#4 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm

i'd be a little apprehensive to use the word great to describe anything about our team this year.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,834

Post#5 » by Beethoven » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:21 pm

I like our team as well this year....but wait a minute, did someone say we are getting George Karl? that would be great.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#6 » by aaron_gray » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:02 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:i'd be a little apprehensive to use the word great to describe anything about our team this year.

great swag
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#7 » by BEazy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Swaggy probably going to get the most minutes at SF spot. I would be worried if Wes started, dude does absolutely nothing on offense.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#8 » by Dr Aki » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:06 pm

"this team has great offensive symmetry"

in otherwords, no-one is very good and everyone will share time on the floor
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#9 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:48 am

I like what you've mentioned ALL HAIL, but for me personally I'm not worried about whatever we do offensively. Defensively is were we have to go first in training camp. Looking at our roster which is athletic and younger despite what the no ball'in ass critics say.

It starts with the scheme, what will be the MO of what we want the opposing teams to do. Obviously you're not going to stop star players from getting theirs. But we can make it difficult. From each position on this roster we can get something defensively.

In the front court critics will say we're weak ( maybe offensively) but defensively we can wreck havoc. Hill, Davis and even Sacre can and should be banger's in the middle. Davis is the most athletic of the bunch and should be number 2 on the depth chart at center. He can be the back line of the defense especially since he's a big who's already said he's like to change shots.

I like the versatility we have with the bigs, a line of Davis, Hill and even Kelly provides length. Hill, Boozer and Johnson gives us decent rebounding. Point is we have options.

Guys like Johnson has to take the next step in his career, he needs to think of himself as a defender 1st and whatever offense he gives is gravy. The problem with him is he keeps getting coaches who only want to exploit his offense. Keep in mind what Byron did for Tyson Chandler, it was in New Orleans when the light clicked for Tyson that he wasn't a offensive guy. Pretty sure it was Byron who finally drove that point home because that's sure as hell where it happened. Hoping B does this with Wes too.

Also Henry has to take leaps towards being a better defender. It's no excuse when you're as athletic as he is, he should be able to cover 2's and 3's and has the speed and length to read passing lanes better. No excuses for Nick either, Nick isn't slow and he has good size at 6'7"....he too can be a better defender.

Our guards, the younger one.....Lin and Clarkson are decent size and should be able to cover the pick and roll better than you would expect Nash to do.

Defense is a mentality, no one is born with excellent defensive instincts. You have to have them taught, then you must apply yourself to "want" to do it. If we can make strides defensively then this season won't be the train wreck the media and outside fans what it to be.

It's gonna be about the defensive scheme.....that's all I'm worried about.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by ALL HAIL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:52 pm

On a great team, defense is more important than offense --- everyday of the week.

No doubt though, offense still has significant merit.

What I offered was a mere analysis of the tremendous offensive balance that exists between the first and second units of this team, and how that fact will bold very well this season ...

Defensively I agree ...

The five most important defensive players on the team this year are Johnson, Hill, Davis, Lin, and Randle.

If Johnson becomes a lockdown defender who shoots decently ...
If Hill and Davis become legitimate rebounders who are defensively "impactful" ...
If Lin becomes a consistent defensive impediment who scores alot ... and
If Randle proves himself to be a more than adequate PF-defender who scores efficiently ...

This team will be a threat to make the Western Conference Finals --- those five alone, defensively, have the potential to propel this team to another level.

The "great" news is that all five are more than capable ... it's up to Scott to bring out their capabilities -- we'll see if, in the short-term, he is able to ...

I think so.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#11 » by AdonisDeMarion » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:30 am

Dark horse for sure
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#12 » by jackwindham » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:54 am

I prefer diversity than symmetry when it comes to construction basketball rosters. That way, you can come at your opponent from more angles.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:03 am

jackwindham wrote:I prefer diversity than symmetry when it comes to construction basketball rosters. That way, you can come at your opponent from more angles.

Good post ...

But there is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

One argument for building a roster with symmetry, however, is that it does seem to lend itself more to a stronger definition of roles.

If I'm a scoring PG like Jordan Clarkson, I am much more "comfortable" backing up another scoring PG (Lin), so when I enter the game, I know that I can play my more natural role -- Clarkson backing up a guy like Rondo would be more of a challenge, as Clarkson would be asked to be more of a passer (because their offense would be more inclined for that to be the "primary" role of the PG).

I've seen it happen a million times -- young guys (and old ones too) do better when their games are embraced by coach and management, and they are allowed to play to their strengths.

Symmetrical construction is not the only way to build a team, but it does seem to help guys understand their roles better and it offers a type of stability that fosters a more nurturing environment for young guys ...

We have that here ... and it's nice to see.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#14 » by kblo247 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:13 pm

myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#15 » by myersia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 am

kblo247 wrote:Image

Interesting. Maybe Young will start at SF. They better give Randle some pt though :x I am fine with Randle coming off the bench but he deserves at least 20 minutes.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#16 » by Dr Aki » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:33 am

if i read that correctly

Lin / Nash / Clarkson
Bryant/ (Space) / Henry ------->(Lin/Nash/Kobe to primarily share the two guard spots?)
Swaggy / Johnson
--------------------> Randle (name written between SF/PF tweener?)
Boozer/Kelly/Davis
Hill/Sacre

Intredasting

we are in serious need of more outside shooting firepower
kblo247
RealGM

Post#17 » by kblo247 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 am

What I took is that Swaggy P was written as Swaggy P
kblo247
RealGM

Post#18 » by kblo247 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:52 am

myersia wrote:

Interesting. Maybe Young will start at SF. They better give Randle some pt though :x I am fine with Randle coming off the bench but he deserves at least 20 minutes.

Deserve? He hasn't earned **** to deserve it. He needs to earn 20 minutes
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#19 » by myersia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:09 am

kblo247 wrote:
myersia wrote:

Deserve? He hasn't earned **** to deserve it. He needs to earn 20 minutes

I agree he has to earn it. But let's be real....the man will get 20 minutes EASILY.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers