ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers work out Michael Beasley

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Re: Lakers work out Micheal Beasley 

Post#101 » by tugs » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 pm

skill is there, motivation is lacking. I agree we got Kobe, Byron, and other vets to set him straight. then I thought, "Why bother on this guy when you have players who understands the team goal and will work hard for it?" Then I realized these guys are pros. it's not like Beasley would affect the team's attitude while playing. they're too good for that.

I'm hopping on the train.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#102 » by LApwnd » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 pm

BIRDMAN BIRDMAN wrote:As a Beas follower, would love to see him in LA. Honestly think there's a good chance he thrives down there

lots of NBA ballers have talent, beasly is probably at the top of that list that dont work hard at it or have the drive for it. You say he "use" to have that rep as 1st in last out of practice, well thats hard to believe because those type of players tend to last on teams and dont get suspend, waived and or arrested on a consistent basis. Odom being used as a comparison is a disservice to Odom's character. He cleaned up his act right after he joined Mia and had his best year and continued to be a consistent contributor never being heard from again in regards to off-court issues till the last 2 years. Bease on the other hand continued to get the weed issue and arrest stuff in Minn and Pho. He put up stats in both location but as always empty stats, dont lead to wins, iso ball w/o having much imprint on the games overall. This guy is no better than the time we got Isiah Rider, guy was a beast when he wanted to be but never could he get that bad attitude in check. And if he's such talent, why isn't Mia trying to bring him back?
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#103 » by ArC_man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:25 pm

I don't understand why Miami doesn't want to keep him if he's presumably willing to sign for the minimum.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#104 » by NBAWestFan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 pm

Sign cheap and 1 year.
He might not like to work hard on D and that could become a problem with B Scott.
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#105 » by hayden » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:10 pm

please no.. guy will be a negative influence and not a good enough player to warrant it.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#106 » by lakersin4 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:05 pm

Beas would wrap up a very good offseason.

Drafting Randle. Buying the pick for Clarkson who looks like he'll make the team.

Letting Pau & Meeks go

getting Lin & picks for nothing.

keeping Young locked in at a good rate and Hill on essentially a 1 year contract.

Boozer amnesty bid

Davis & Beasley for cheap.

Keeping X, Kelly, Wes for cheap.

I think the only mistake we made was not finding a way to keep Marshall. Some will point to losing Farmar but I think he got paid a bit more than we would have offered. Nearly flawless offseason.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#107 » by LApwnd » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:29 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Beas would wrap up a very good offseason.

Drafting Randle. Buying the pick for Clarkson who looks like he'll make the team.

Letting Pau & Meeks go

getting Lin & picks for nothing.

keeping Young locked in at a good rate and Hill on essentially a 1 year contract.

Boozer amnesty bid

Davis & Beasley for cheap.

Keeping X, Kelly, Wes for cheap.

I think the only mistake we made was not finding a way to keep Marshall. Some will point to losing Farmar but I think he got paid a bit more than we would have offered. Nearly flawless offseason.

Getting rid of Nash without any assets attached like Hou pick would trump ALL of that :D :lol:
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#108 » by TruSkool » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:30 pm

Beasley isn't really a smart dude but still would be a decent pickup for the Lakers who seriously lack players at the SF position.
I always thought he was a decent player but just never really got the chance to showcase himself. He seems productive when he plays, at least on the offensive end. He'll be the best SF on the team and you got to take a chance on him at the vet minimum. He might catch a break in LA.

Lakers are silently putting together a pretty nice and cheap team around Kobe. I still don't think they will make the playoffs though. But the additions of Boozer, Lin, and Beasley are the types of BACKUPS (not starters) you need for depth when you're making a push for the finals. These are all pretty good finds for the lakers. As long as they can make sure to grab some key big pieces in 2016, and perhaps be able to retain some of these younger rotational players like Lin and Beasley. But they're making some nice quiet moves so far.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#109 » by TruSkool » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:33 pm

at the same time, Young+Beasley combo on and off the court would be terrible. And kobe's probably too old to give a F now.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#110 » by milesfides » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 pm

TylersLakers wrote:
If anyone looks at Nick Young as anything more than a guy who can come in off the bench and put some points up, then people are expecting too much. You're right, miles. He can't rebound. He doesn't pass. He's going to have to come in, knock down open shots, energize the crowd. That's it.

I absolutely agree, and at the same time fully recognize that any championship team can't rely on a player like that.

The sixth man scorer is a real thing, many teams have them. Championship teams? No.

Good luck with trying to win with guys like Jamal Crawford, JR Smith, etc.

Even Ginobili with his ability to score, was a terrific playmaker and defender, an all-around player with a high bball IQ, in fact, right up with Kobe and Wade as the top 3 SG of the last decade.

But I'm totally good with showcasing Nick Young and Beasley as assets, because they can be attractive to a lot of teams out there.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Tonyism
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#111 » by Tonyism » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:46 pm

This is very true. For me, I wouldnt want him on the team for chemistry sake.

Slava wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
Slava wrote:This is depressing, the guy is a sad sack bucket of failure. I'm down for reclamation projects like Henry and Marshall who never got their opportunity but Beasley is a guy that has gotten ample opportunity and then some only to disappoint and fail.

I wouldn't be that down on him. Yeah he's failed massively to meet expectations, but he's still a productive player offensively and it's not like we're exactly rich at the 3, especially if Kobe is going to play the 2. I'll take a career 19 ppg 7rpg per 36, especially at the price he's going to go for. Actually had his most efficient year in the minutes he was given.

If he couldn't see minutes over Rashard Lewis and the corpse of Battier, how is he going to help us? He is a bad offensive player with tunnel vision and inability to grasp a team defense.
Dear Moderators, can I get my previous account (Tonyism74) activated or have those credentials carry over to this one? Ballboy is embarassing. I forgot the previous credentials.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#112 » by Edrees » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:01 pm

Rather use the roster spot to sign a D leagus player and hope he had un noticed potential. At this point a d league playwr has more of a likelyhood of becoming a good player than beasley does.

If we were contenders and needed to improve our bench with a 10 ppg scorer then sure. But id rather take chances on some young guys.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#113 » by Kilroy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 pm

I'm surprised so many people want to waste a spot on Beasley... Not only have we tried that already, but he's been given like 50 second chances and pissed them all away.

Yes, he can play in spurts... Yes he's physically gifted... But he just has no ambition... And that attitude is contagious in the locker room.
We got a bunch of young, hungry impressionable guys on this team who are going to have Scott and Kobe on their ass all season, trying to make them better. The worst possible situation is to give them Beasley to turn to as an alternative, subversive voice.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#114 » by Dr Aki » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:22 am

i just don't buy the narrative that he's some sort of locker room cancer that's going to infect the minds of all the young players, if you buy into that narrative, you have to admit the reverse is true and that kobe and scott can have an effect on beasley as well

there are multiple reasons to take on beasley:
- kobe's got 2 seasons left
- we don't have our pick this year (unless it all goes horribly wrong, or we hit the lottery)
- we need to maintain cap flexibility AND
- we need to shoot for the playoffs

for all those reasons, we can't get picky about good character guys, we need the talent to push and push hard and trust that kobe, scott and the FO will take us across the line in 8th or better
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#115 » by dockingsched » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:27 am

So much focus on Beasley's off the court issues when he sucks on the court too and not for a lack of opportunities.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,687

Post#116 » by Pointgod » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:45 am

No one has every said that Beasley could help a team make the playoffs :lol: I don't even see where he'd fit with this team. They have Kobe, Swaggy, Henry and Johnson who will all spend time at the 3. Boozer, Randle and Kelly who will all spend time at the 4. Sure he scored well in limited minutes but there's a reason why he doesn't get a lot of minutes.
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#117 » by JohnVancouver » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:11 am

Can't see how SuperCool Beez does us any good. He's had several second chances and hasn't turned intoa dependable player. Trix is at the end of his career but he brings D, boards and an ugly but effective three, plus the putbacks and garbage buckets he still gets. If he'll sign here cheap, grab him
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#118 » by Kilroy » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:38 am

dockingsched wrote:So much focus on Beasley's off the court issues when he sucks on the court too and not for a lack of opportunities.

Having his head up his ass is an on the court issue... :lol: But I agree... People are talking about him like he's going to carry Kobe to another championship...

Dopey had to do a workout like a rookie just to be in consideration for the Lakers final spots... Guys have gotten camp invites with much less.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#119 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Aug 1, 2014 6:01 am

Kilroy wrote:I'm surprised so many people want to waste a spot on Beasley... Not only have we tried that already, but he's been given like 50 second chances and pissed them all away.

Yes, he can play in spurts... Yes he's physically gifted... But he just has no ambition... And that attitude is contagious in the locker room.
We got a bunch of young, hungry impressionable guys on this team who are going to have Scott and Kobe on their ass all season, trying to make them better. The worst possible situation is to give them Beasley to turn to as an alternative, subversive voice.

ugh i don't buy the idea that his lack of ambition is contagious. Where does that even come from anyways? If anything Beasley is the one that won't be able to relate to most of the players on this team who are a bunch of either veterans Kobe/Boozer/Nash or type A personalities Randle/Clarkson. I'm supposed to be worried that he has a negative impact on Wesley Johnson now? Come on now, it's the minimum for one year not a long term commitment. Not only that but when has he been a locker room killer exaclty? All the negatives surrounding him has been on him himself not on his teammates.

Also I'm in no way a Beasley fan. I was vehemently opposed to the Pau for Williams/Beasley rumors of a few years ago, which i'm sure you can dig up posts on.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#120 » by crazyeights » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:31 pm

Good to know you think chemistry doesn't matter!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers